PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix columnist says--watch out for the Spurs...

Man of Steel
03-25-2007, 01:01 AM
WINDERMAN: Sunday NBA column
Spurs quietly rounding into playoff form

Published March 25, 2007

The Mavericks have spent an entire season with a chip on their shoulder, treating the regular season like a crusade, as if to validate their status as an enduring contender. Clearly, blowing the final four games of last season's NBA Finals to the Heat still resonates.

The Suns called in their leading players for a meeting after recent losses to Detroit and Denver, and have unveiled a new mascot, Trophy Guy ("Trophy Guy is currently living in Miami, but is reportedly in the market for a new location and has recently been spotted searching real estate in the Phoenix area," reads the Suns marketing release).

And the Pistons continue to bemoan their status as an afterthought contender from an afterthought conference, with forward Rasheed Wallace saying he wouldn't vote for either of the leading MVP candidates, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Phoenix's Steve Nash, but rather, "Somebody who plays defense. None of them play any defense."

Yet while three of the league's leading contenders continue to lament "why not us," another quietly is positioning itself for a fourth championship in nine years.

Don't sleep on the Spurs -- not that San Antonio would mind if you did.

Granted, the Spurs would prefer not to be bracketed as the road team for a potential second-round matchup against the Suns, but with their current No. 3 Western seed, it means avoiding a rugged first-round matchup against Utah or Houston, as well as meeting the Mavericks no earlier than the conference finals.

But, more than that, the under-the-radar approach has left the veteran Spurs in position to make noise when it matters most.

"We haven't really focused on getting the best record in any year," coach Gregg Popovich told San Antonio's Express News. "Some years we've gotten it, some years we haven't, but it's never been the focus. The focus has always been making sure our priorities are in order, beginning with defense, that we're as healthy as we can possibly be, and that our bench has gotten enough minutes to be comfortable come playoff time."

So while Phoenix plays the tightest rotation of any contender, one that barely goes eight deep, and while Dallas remains on a minute-by-minute mission, the Spurs take a measured approach.

As a matter of perspective, while the Mavericks have loaded up on the minutes of Nowitzki (37 per game), Josh Howard (35.7) and Jason Terry (35.5), and while the Suns have Shawn Marion (38.3), Raja Bell (37.5) and Nash (35.4) leading a group of six players averaging at least 30, the Spurs went into the weekend without a single player averaging as many as 35 minutes and with only Tim Duncan and Tony Parker averaging more than 31.

"It helps," Popovich said, "to not play starters an inordinate number of minutes to win games early at the expense of burning those guys out and not developing the bench the way it probably needs to be come playoff time."

That's why you're currently seeing Francisco Elson getting his share of minutes at center. It's not because the offseason acquisition has necessarily earned them, but rather because his ability to run the floor could prove crucial in a potential first-round meeting with the Nuggets or that looming second-round showdown with the Suns.

Recall that during last season's playoffs, when the Spurs were knocked out by the Mavericks in the second round, lumbering big men Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic couldn't keep pace.

And then there are the mainstays. Parker stands with Nash as the league's only players averaging at least 15 points and five assists while also shooting at least 50 percent from the field. Duncan is at his highest field-goal percentage since his rookie season. And guard Manu Ginobili has been rejuvenated by his shift to a reserve role.

In a month, when the games begin to matter most, so, apparently, will the Spurs.

In the lane

DISSECTING DIRK: Dwyane Wade apparently is not alone in questioning the mettle of Dirk Nowitzki. Last week, the Mavericks forward offered some surprisingly candid self-analysis. "I think everybody who says they don't get tense, they're lying," Nowitzki told the Washington Post of his recent meltdown against the Suns. Nowitzki said his only failing is being human. "If we were all machines, the game would be boring," he said. "I guess emotions play a factor in a big game like that, and I missed two free throws that were crucial."

LAMENTING LEBRON: Nowitzki isn't the only MVP candidate dealing with his share of scrutiny. Last week, the Elias Sports Bureau came up with a doozy of a stat after Cleveland's unexpected overtime loss in Charlotte. It seems that LeBron James, who missed four potential game-deciding shots at the end of regulation in that game, is now 0 for 9 this season on 3-pointers taken in the last two minutes of regulation and overtime when his Cavaliers stand within three points.

BRING IT ON: As he watched his starting shooting guard being roughed up in recent games, Pistons coach Flip Saunders told the Detroit News he saw a benefit for Richard Hamilton. "Before we played Miami last year," Saunders said of an Eastern Conference finals Detroit lost 4-2, "we were so used to going anywhere we wanted. But when we got the resistance we got in Miami, we weren't prepared. What he's going through now will help him down the road."

PESKY POINT: Apparently, opponents don't find the Spurs' Tony Parker as endearing as fiancee Eva Longoria does. Over a five-game span, opposing point guards Jamaal Tinsley, Jason Kidd and Maurice Williams were ejected. "I don't talk trash. I don't say nothing," Parker told San Antonio's Express-News, insisting he had no need to pardon his French. "I just do my best and try to be a pain in the butt."

ShoogarBear
03-25-2007, 02:31 AM
PESKY POINT: Over a five-game span, opposing point guards Jamaal Tinsley, Jason Kidd and Maurice Williams were ejected.
Good point. Maybe TP is picking up some tips from Bruce.

jaespur21
03-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Playoff Basketball is around the corner

phxspurfan
03-25-2007, 02:45 AM
And the Pistons continue to bemoan their status as an afterthought contender from an afterthought conference, with forward Rasheed Wallace saying he wouldn't vote for either of the leading MVP candidates, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Phoenix's Steve Nash, but rather, "Somebody who plays defense. None of them play any defense."

Detroit (and any team that consistently plays good defense (Dallas and Miami) should be considered a serious championship contender. I could back this claim up with some stats, but this fact doesn't need to be substantiated since pretty much every championship-winning team in NBA history has been in the top 10 in the defensive categories. Detroit is secretly enjoying their under-the-radar position as well...

I wouldnt be at all surprised if the NBA finals 07 matchup was again Detroit-SA

Kori Ellis
03-25-2007, 02:48 AM
???

He's not a Phoenix columnist. He's a Florida columnist. Where did you get Phoenix? Or did he switch papers?

Kori Ellis
03-25-2007, 02:49 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-spira25mar25,0,2658552.column

South Florida Sun Sentinel

jaespur21
03-25-2007, 02:49 AM
???

He's not a Phoenix columnist. He's a Florida columnist. Where did you get Phoenix? Or did he switch papers?

the thread says phx columnist says

THE SIXTH MAN
03-25-2007, 02:51 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-spira25mar25,0,2658552.column

South Florida Sun Sentinel
:lol He probably thought it was by a Phoenix columnist because its from sun-sentinel.com

Kori Ellis
03-25-2007, 02:52 AM
the thread says phx columnist says

Umm.. I know. I'm asking the original poster where he got that he was a Phoenix columnist.

Kori Ellis
03-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Anyway, it doesn't matter. Ira Winderman is a pretty well known sports columnist. I thought maybe he had switched papers.

Nice point about TP. I didn't think about the fact opposing point guards were getting ejected lately.

whottt
03-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Nice point about TP. I didn't think about the fact opposing point guards were getting ejected lately.

That is a good observation...just think if TP adds playing D like Bruce to his game.

MVP candidate year in and year out for the rest of his career.

ducks
03-25-2007, 09:55 AM
It seems that LeBron James, who missed four potential game-deciding shots at the end of regulation in that game, is now 0 for 9 this season on 3-pointers taken in the last two minutes of regulation and overtime when his Cavaliers stand within three points.

Clutch20
03-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Ira's on my sports columnists list. But I didn't focus on his name or any other names at all when I would read Spurs related news off the sun-sentinel.
My favorite line?
I loved the line that told of trotting in the Phoenix players to meet their new mascot Trophy Guy. I visualized the players rolling their eyes when told what they were meeting for, but more importantly, maybe giving them a new source for humor and jokes, good for helping them endure the pressure-packed playoff weeks that are right around the corner.

And my 2nd fave............Pacing Pacing Pacing!
Oh how important it is, we've been doing it, frontrunners contending that it's a non issue because they're boys are young and strong, I cite injury reports and the deafening roar that ensues reveals I've comitted a faux pas, I maintain that overplaying on a continual basis is detrimental to health and happiness and fan expectation shows that they expect overplaying because that's what the players are paid to do, give 110%.
Now, that's good, giving 110% when the year's on the line, don't get me wrong.
Most on the current squad did that last playoffs like they do every May.

Creepy as it seems, the monkey on your back dictates your mindset towards playing the game and if it's a nasty monkey and you don't have the experience in the playoffs to deal with that monkey then you're either gonna freeze, fry, fizzle, fall, flub, and I don't EVEN want to say the (whisper) C _ _ _ _ word!

Clutch20
03-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Umm.. I know. I'm asking the original poster where he got that he was a Phoenix columnist.
Man Of Steel made a mistake with his post?
Sheee, I've never done that. :oops

But he did give me an inspiration.
Manu Ginobili = MAN OF STEAL!
Has this one been done already? :cry

Mavschick
03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
It's conceivable the Suns could meet GS in the first round as GS is only a game or two behind LAC and DEN for the 7th spot. That'd be a fun series to watch, all small-ball lineup & run-and-gun type games, and maybe GS could tire PHO out a bit before the Spurs get 'em in the 2nd round.

itzsoweezee
03-25-2007, 01:38 PM
with forward Rasheed Wallace saying he wouldn't vote for either of the leading MVP candidates, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Phoenix's Steve Nash, but rather, "Somebody who plays defense. None of them play any defense."

i love rawsheed

pking
03-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Is 37 minutes per game really 'loading up on the minutes'?

Man of Steel
03-25-2007, 02:37 PM
My mistake--saw Sun Sentinel and thought it was Phoenix.

v2freak
03-25-2007, 02:43 PM
It's beginning to be that people cannot mention Tony Parker without Eva Longoria.

phyzik
03-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Duncan is at his highest field-goal percentage since his rookie season.

I seem to recall a bunch of doubters on this site, most not spurs fans, claiming Duncan is on the decline.... Choke on that shit fuckers.

texbound
03-26-2007, 11:11 PM
PESKY POINT: Apparently, opponents don't find the Spurs' Tony Parker as endearing as fiancee Eva Longoria does. Over a five-game span, opposing point guards Jamaal Tinsley, Jason Kidd and Maurice Williams were ejected. "I don't talk trash. I don't say nothing," Parker told San Antonio's Express-News, insisting he had no need to pardon his French. "I just do my best and try to be a pain in the butt."

Will Baron Davis be added to the list?

dg7md
03-26-2007, 11:25 PM
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9948/pochettealbumnj6.jpg

cornbread
03-26-2007, 11:37 PM
I seem to recall a bunch of doubters on this site, most not spurs fans, claiming Duncan is on the decline.... Choke on that shit fuckers.

Well said. :toast