PDA

View Full Version : Damn...has it been 25 years?

samikeyp
03-25-2007, 12:55 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The night Michael Jordan made that shot, Roy Williams and John Thompson III were inside the Superdome, too.

They also have memories from 25 years ago -- of an elusive Snickers bar and a Rottweiler that got away.

North Carolina and Georgetown play Sunday in the East Regional final, with Tyler Hansbrough, Patrick Ewing Jr. and the other players focused squarely on a trip to the Final Four.

For many fans, the matchup means a lot more than the top-seeded Tar Heels' transitions vs. the second-seeded Hoyas' patience. It represents a harmonic convergence of history, harkening back to a true thriller in college basketball.

"I think you don't have to go down the list of great, great finals very long before you get to the '82 North Carolina-Georgetown game," Williams said.

In a game that started the legend of MJ and ushered in the era of huge crowds for championship night, Jordan's jumper from the left side with 17 seconds lifted North Carolina over Georgetown 63-62 on March 29, 1982.

"I'm very blessed for what that shot did, and my name did change from Mike to Michael," Jordan said this month. "To sit back and think "what if?" is a scary thought. There are a lot of other options. I could be pumping gas back in Wilmington, N.C."

Williams, now North Carolina's coach, was then an assistant to Dean Smith.

"Other than my wife and my mother, I don't know that anybody knew I was on the bench at that point," he said. "I had dark black hair and it was pretty neat."

Yet to hear him tell it, he almost was absent.

"I was a little superstitious. I kept a candy bar in my pocket before every game down the stretch and I would always buy it at the arena," he said. "Believe it or not, the Superdome in New Orleans in 1982 didn't sell candy, so I went to one of the gates and I walked out, went across the street in New Orleans to buy a candy bar.

"I came back to the door and the person, the guard that was there changed and they weren't going to let me come back in," he said. "My biggest memory is how doggone scared I am. I'm helping coach a team in the national championship game and I'm not even going to get into the arena."

Thompson was a high school junior at the time, sitting across from the Georgetown bench where his father was head coach.

"I remember everything about it," he said. "It's difficult to handle it because it's the national championship game."

Then there was the family pet. His dad, John Thompson, was at the Meadowlands on Saturday and recalled that part of the story.

"I remember somebody asked my son how I took that loss. He said something like, 'I don't know about him, but I know that our dog disappeared," the former coach said. "I don't know what ever happened to that damn dog."

Thompson III said he wasn't sure that's exactly the way it went.

"Hmmm, my dad was in New Orleans, how would he know that our dog ran away that night?" he said. "But I don't want to contradict Pop."

There was no dispute how much that game meant to college hoops. The matchup was full of stars -- James Worthy and Sam Perkins in Carolina blue, Patrick Ewing and Eric Floyd for Georgetown. A crowd of 61,612 roared the whole way, the outcome in doubt until the final seconds when Fred Brown made an inexplicable pass to Worthy.

Ewing Jr. said his Hoyas (29-6) weren't looking to avenge that loss with a win over the Tar Heels (31-6).

"It hasn't really been a focus for me, or coach Thompson or our parents," he said. "There is no Jordan on the team, no Worthys, no Perkinses. It would be good to get that win just to move on to the next round."

Teammate Tyler Crawford also wanted to look ahead.

"We're not talking about what happened in the past," he said. "We lost that game. Georgetown lost. Why would we laugh or joke about it?"

Naturally, the North Carolina players took a different approach.

"Probably saw the clip of Michael Jordan hitting the shot over 100 times," freshman guard Ty Lawson said. "We see it every game at the Dean Dome. They play a little clip of that."

The teams have split four games since that epic matchup, including Carolina's win in the 1995 NCAA tournament.

North Carolina has reached the Final Four a record 16 times, last making it on the way to the 2005 national championship. Georgetown's last appearance in the Final Four was 1985.

Thompson III hopes to improve on how he did against the Tar Heels than the last time he saw them in the NCAAs. The first time he coached in the tournament, North Carolina routed his Princeton team 70-48. That was in the opening round in 2001 -- that game was at the Superdome, and his dad was in the stands.

"I think he's got a better chance this time," the elder Thompson said.

samikeyp
03-25-2007, 12:56 PM
First college BB game I ever watched...been hooked ever since.

JMarkJohns
03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm so jealous of everyone who remembers basketball pre-1986. That's the first year I really, truly remember any. Being born in 1980, I hate that I missed more than half of the Lakers/Celtics and some of the future greats of the 90's in college. I'd have loved to see them. After the fact just doesn't have the same feel.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-25-2007, 01:38 PM
overrated east coast yankee bias team forum

RonMexico
03-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Who's Michael Jordan? Was he good?

ShoogarBear
03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I remember that Freddie Brown pass like it was yesterday.

Dean's two NC's were Brown's pass and Webber's TO.

baseline bum
03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
What a massive choke job by UNC. Georgetown made a 25 point turnaround in what seemed like about 8 or 9 minutes.

ShoogarBear
03-25-2007, 06:32 PM
True.

On the bright side, I nailed all of the Final Four. :smokin

boutons_
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
25 Years Ago: Jordan, Worthy, Ewing, Oh My!

By Michael Wilbon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 25, 2007; E14

SAN JOSE, March 24 -- It was difficult to take everything in at the time, all the subplots and historical twists. And it was particularly overwhelming because it was my first Final Four, the first NCAA championship game including a Washington, D.C., school. Even now, 25 years later, it's dizzying to try to make sense of the events that night in New Orleans.

I'm fixated all these years later on Fred Brown's errant pass to James Worthy -- in part because of the big squeeze John Thompson put on Brown afterward; in part because of the way Brown calmly and maturely explained how the mistake happened and how much he wanted to snatch the ball back the instant the pass had left his hands; in part because I had covered the team the previous season and had gotten to know Brown as a bright and confident freshman from the Bronx; and in part because for whatever reason as a sportswriter I've always felt more empathy for the men and women who suffer the agony of defeat in championship situations than I feel for those who experience the thrill of victory.

Brown has his reasons, I suppose, for lashing out at Thompson for sleights real or perceived. And nothing will change the significance of that errant pass to Worthy, Thompson's hug afterward, the subsequent bumper stickers that proclaimed "Have You Hugged a Hoya Today?", the letters and expressions of support that Brown told me changed his life, and the championship hug two years later between the same coach and the same point guard. How often do people get to replace that level of agony with a commensurate level of joy?

And yet, most people don't think of Brown's turnover first and foremost because it was probably the least historically significant element of the night, ranking behind in some order, Michael Jordan's first championship shot, Dean Smith's first championship victory and the first appearance of a black head coach in the title game.

The talent on the floor was pretty historic, too. Nothing measures up to the impact the 1979 NCAA championship game had on the culture of basketball. After the 1966 game between all-white Kentucky and mostly-black Texas Western, the '79 game between Bird and Magic is probably the most significant game in the modern history of college basketball.

Yet, the talent on the floor in that game didn't equal that of the 1982 game between Georgetown and North Carolina.

The Tar Heels, remember, featured Worthy, who would be the No. 1 overall pick in the 1982 draft, Jordan (No. 3 in 1984), Sam Perkins (No. 4 in 1984) and point guard Jimmy Black. Georgetown featured Patrick Ewing (No. 1 overall pick in 1985), Eric "Sleepy" Floyd (No. 13 in 1982) and Bill Martin. Both head coaches, Smith and Thompson, have coached the U.S. Olympic team and are in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Worthy, Jordan and Ewing were voted among the 50 greatest NBA players ever.

Jordan and Ewing were on the one and only Barcelona Dream Team, the 1992 U.S. Olympic basketball squad.

Nobody has players that good anymore because they don't stay long enough to become that polished. The super talents, which Jordan and Worthy and Ewing were, don't stay long enough anymore to finish their apprenticeships. What strikes me 25 years later, thinking back to the way Worthy controlled that game during long stretches, is that few players in this tournament know how to play the way those Hoyas and Tar Heels knew how to play. There's not a Georgetown player today who knows the game as well as Eric Smith or Gene Smith knew it then, and not a Tar Heel player today who knows the game as well as Black or Matt Doherty.

I remember Ewing swatting away North Carolina's first four or five shots, and I can still hear Thompson saying that was just fine because players don't remember goaltending being called as much as they remember their shots were blocked.

I remember Floyd and Worthy, kids from the same town, Gastonia, N.C., engaging in something of a duel.

I remember Ewing, whose primary strength at the time was defense, hitting turnaround jumpers and providing a glimpse of what he would become in the NBA. I remember thinking that everything the freshman Jordan did seemed effortless, how he seemed to go higher for his team-high nine rebounds and turn corners without resistance.

I remember thinking, late that night, that my first NCAA championship game as a sportswriter might be the best championship game I would ever get to cover, both in terms of compelling basketball and historical significance.

And after 25 years, and 23 championship games, it turns out I was probably right.

FromWayDowntown
03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I remember that Freddie Brown pass like it was yesterday.

Dean's two NC's were Brown's pass and Webber's TO.

As much as I remember Jordan's shot, I'll never ever forget my total confusion in Freddie Brown dropping that dime to James Worthy.

That Carolina team was sweet with MJ, Sam Perkins, and Worthy, along with Jimmy Black and Matt Doherty. Still they were probably more talented a couple of years later in 1984, but got run out in the 2nd round by Indiana.

The Final Four in '82 was incredible, too. Along with that great Carolina team and the young Georgetown team, 1982 marked the first of 3 straight Final Fours for the Houston Cougars with Olajuwon and Drexler. And the 4th of the Final Four that year was Georgia with Dominque Wilkins. Those three games showcased three of the most dynamic wing players of the 80's and early 90's; and two of the greatest centers to ever play the game.

Horry For 3!
03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
James Worthy is tha shittttt. He was one of my fav players for UNC and when he played for the Lakers. I have been a big time UNC fan since I was a little kid. He and Magic are the only Lakers I have ever liked.

Good ol days with Worthy, Perkins, MJ.

tlongII
03-26-2007, 09:27 AM
True.

On the bright side, I nailed all of the Final Four. :smokin

Me too. I'm in 4th place out of 162 entrants. :smokin

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Me too. I'm in 4th place out of 162 entrants. :smokinI got UCLA over Georgetown in the Final. And though I'm still happy with that, it really looks like pick 'em at this point.

tlongII
03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I got UCLA over Georgetown in the Final. And though I'm still happy with that, it really looks like pick 'em at this point.

I have Ohio State over Florida in the Final. Unfortunately I can't finish higher than 3rd place, but that would still be worth 160 bucks.