PDA

View Full Version : What teams will pull an upset in the 1st round?

Voice of Truth
03-25-2007, 02:40 PM
It is very possible that some teams will pull an upset or two in the first round this year:

For the West:

5. Houston Rockets will beat number 4. Utah Jazz
Houston plays better defense than Utah, Yao Ming and TMac will be too much to handle.

Rockets in 7

6. Los Angeles Lakers will beat number 3. San Antonio Spurs
Last year there was an upset, seed number 6 over seed number 3, this year will be no different. Kobe is tearing it and up! and will be unstoppable, if you haven't realized that Bowen can't even stop or at least slow his grandma down you are blind. Lakers took 2 out of 3 games from the Spurs during the reagular season (including the last 2 at the AT&T Center dating back to last season)

Lakers in 6

For the East:

6. Miami will beat number 3. Toronto.

Easy one! Shaq is still a force in the NBA, Toronto don't have a chance if they match him up with former spur Rasho Nesterovic :lol

Heat in 5

I don't intend to make spurs fans mad but you need to put your feet on the ground, the Spurs will not make it past the first round.

SAtown
03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
This is horrible logic. So because there was an upset in last year's playoffs, there will be one in the exact spot this year? :td

phyzik
03-25-2007, 02:51 PM
It is very possible that some teams will pull an upset or two in the first round this year:

For the West:

Houston plays better defense than Utah, Yao Ming and TMac will be too much to handle.

Rockets in 7

Last year there was an upset, seed number 6 over seed number 3, this year will be no different. Kobe is tearing it and up! and will be unstoppable, if you haven't realized that Bowen can't even stop or at least slow his grandma down you are blind. Lakers took 2 out of 3 games from the Spurs during the reagular season (including the last 2 at the AT&T Center dating back to last season)

Lakers in 6

For the East:

Easy one! Shaq is still a force in the NBA, Toronto don't have a chance if they match him up with former spur Rasho Nesterovic :lol

Heat in 5

I don't intend to make spurs fans mad but you need to put your feet on the ground, the Spurs will not make it past the first round.

Here's a predection thats just as Valid.... Miami out in first round.

schadenfreude52
03-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Lakers in 6

Well, not according to Kobe....

Bryant also spoke to a few other items both related and unrelated to his scoring streak:

• He said he still considers Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs the player who defends him best.

• He said he does not think he merits MVP consideration this season, because that award should be reserved for a player on a team with one of the NBA's best records. "You have to honor that. When we get to that point, then maybe I'll get some consideration."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2810481

DarrinS
03-25-2007, 03:16 PM
:sleep

1Parker1
03-25-2007, 03:18 PM
What was the upset last year in the West???

Voice of Truth
03-25-2007, 03:26 PM

LOL

Kobe averages between 35 to 40 points against Bowen.

How is that good defense?? :lol

Voice of Truth
03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
What was the upset last year in the West???

LA Clippers (6) beat Denver (3)

DubMcDub
03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
LA Clippers (6) beat Denver (3)

True but unless I'm mistaken LAC actually had a better record and HCA in that series. Denver was only seeded higher because they had won the horrendous Northwest division.

So that's not even really an upset.

jman3000
03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
wtf? that wasn't an upset

the clippers actually played shitty just so they could draw denver. they WANTED to play that free falling team.

ducks
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
gs could play mavs
mavs have gone 0-4 against gs last 4 games
not that I would bet mavs lose in first round though

schadenfreude52
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
True but unless I'm mistaken LAC actually had a better record and HCA in that series. Denver was only seeded higher because they had won the horrendous Northwest division.

So that's not even really an upset.

You, sir, are correct.

Clippers' Record last year: 47-35
Nuggets' Record last year: 44-38

td4mvp21
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
More like the Voice of Bullshit.

exstatic
03-25-2007, 04:28 PM
LOL

Kobe averages between 35 to 40 points against Bowen.

How is that good defense?? :lol
If he's taking 32 shots to do it, and breaking the triangle offense? LA loses. It's all about how many pts/fga, how efficient he is. With Bowen on him and Duncan waiting at the rim, look for something in the neighborhood of 1.1-1.2 instead of his usual 1.4-1.5.

Leetonidas
03-25-2007, 04:57 PM

For the West:

Rockets in 7

Lakers in 6

For the East:

Heat in 5

Change your name to Voice of Dumbass, dumbass.

SpursDynasty
03-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Awful awful awful.

Lakers over Spurs? :lol I won't even get mad at that. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. I've heard worse though. I remember in 2003 "Suns over Spurs in 5", or how about in 2005 "Denver over SA" or even last year, people were talking about the Kings upsetting the Spurs.

It's always the same result. The other team comes out with a Game 1 victory, the Spurs take 4 of the next 5, and it's a done deal.

I will say that the Rockets have no chance against Utah though. It will be a good but pointless series. They should just start the playoffs with 4 west teams, Dallas, Phoenix, SA, and Utah, and go from there without wasting time on seeds 5 through 8.

Amare_32
03-25-2007, 05:06 PM
gs could play mavs
mavs have gone 0-4 against gs last 4 games
not that I would bet mavs lose in first round though

Even with that 0-4 record vs Golden State I can't see GS beating the Mavs. I can see it going possibly 6 games thats it.

Mavschick
03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Lakers in 6

The Lakers upsetting the Spurs is as likely to happen as you being able to find your cock without a microscope. Maybe you should ask Eddie Jones to help you because he's really good at clutching and grabbing.

Purple & Gold
03-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Lakers in 6
I can see it happening. :smokin

ratm1221
03-25-2007, 05:54 PM

For the West:

Rockets in 7

Lakers in 6

For the East:

Heat in 5

What do you know about basketball? Does Miami even have a basketball team?

pking
03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Awful awful awful.

Lakers over Spurs? :lol I won't even get mad at that. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. I've heard worse though. I remember in 2003 "Suns over Spurs in 5", or how about in 2005 "Denver over SA" or even last year, people were talking about the Kings upsetting the Spurs.

It's always the same result. The other team comes out with a Game 1 victory, the Spurs take 4 of the next 5, and it's a done deal.

I will say that the Rockets have no chance against Utah though. It will be a good but pointless series. They should just start the playoffs with 4 west teams, Dallas, Phoenix, SA, and Utah, and go from there without wasting time on seeds 5 through 8.

I disagree on Houston. I think that'll be an ugly series to watch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Houston won it.

pking
03-25-2007, 06:42 PM
What do you know about basketball? Does Miami even have a basketball team?

Man, you're one of those that makes all Mavs fans look like fucking morons. Thanks, dude.

Amare_32
03-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I disagree on Houston. I think that'll be an ugly series to watch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Houston won it.

Ugly is right. Game 7 Final Score 64-59 in favor of Utah. :lol

td4mvp21
03-25-2007, 06:59 PM
The Lakers upsetting the Spurs is as likely to happen as you being able to find your cock without a microscope. Maybe you should ask Eddie Jones to help you because he's really good at clutching and grabbing.

:lmao :owned

dallasmavsnfuego214
03-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Awful awful awful.

:lol

or even worse in 2006 people thought the Mavs upsetting the Spurs :lmao :lmao :rollin :rollin thats rich...

oh wait :oops that happened

if the Lakers can get Odom back to normal and play like they did earlier in the year i would pick them to beat SA as well, but with the way they are playing now? no, they need more work if they want to pull the upset

ratm1221
03-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Man, you're one of those that makes all Mavs fans look like fucking morons. Thanks, dude.

Chick, you don't need my help to look like a moron. If you would lay off some of the butt kissing in the spurs forum, you might find some humor in a few of the posts.

SpursDynasty
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
:lol

or even worse in 2006 people thought the Mavs upsetting the Spurs :lmao :lmao :rollin :rollin thats rich...

oh wait :oops that happened

if the Lakers can get Odom back to normal and play like they did earlier in the year i would pick them to beat SA as well, but with the way they are playing now? no, they need more work if they want to pull the upset

That wasn't an upset. That was a fluke. Won't happen this year. The wrong team won. The minute Dallas advanced, I knew they wouldn't go all the way, and they didn't. Miami did, and Miami just went out and beat a team they were supposed to beat.

DubMcDub
03-25-2007, 08:53 PM
That wasn't an upset. That was a fluke. Won't happen this year. The wrong team won. The minute Dallas advanced, I knew they wouldn't go all the way, and they didn't. Miami did, and Miami just went out and beat a team they were supposed to beat.

This guy is a pretty good example of why San Antonio could really use another sports team or two to keep people from getting so hilariously emotionally invested in the Spurs...

SpursDynasty
03-25-2007, 09:00 PM
This guy is a pretty good example of why San Antonio could really use another sports team or two to keep people from getting so hilariously emotionally invested in the Spurs...

You're only saying that because your team didn't win last year :lol

DubMcDub
03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
You're only saying that because your team didn't win last year :lol

I fail to see how the Mavericks being champions or not being champions has any bearing on my (correct) perception of many Spurs fans--such as yourself--as being so emotionally wrapped up in their team that they live in a world of rather amusing denial.

What's particularly funny about you is that your denial extends far beyond the Spurs themselves.

SpursDynasty
03-26-2007, 01:06 AM
I fail to see how the Mavericks being champions or not being champions has any bearing on my (correct) perception of many Spurs fans--such as yourself--as being so emotionally wrapped up in their team that they live in a world of rather amusing denial.

What's particularly funny about you is that your denial extends far beyond the Spurs themselves.

This statement still doesn't change who won the Finals last year. Get over it :ihit

DubMcDub
03-26-2007, 01:37 AM
This statement still doesn't change who won the Finals last year. Get over it :ihit

...it's really quite impressive that you've managed to have a "conversation" with me without making a single comment relevant to anything I've said.

SpursDynasty
03-26-2007, 01:43 AM
...it's really quite impressive that you've managed to have a "conversation" with me without making a single comment relevant to anything I've said.

Well, you haven't said anything relative to what I've said either. You've been babbling about Spurs fans being too emotional or something.

And it all stemmed from me saying that when Dallas beat SA last year, I knew Dallas wouldn't go all the way (Which happened - So....)

I guess I'm too emotionally involved with the Spurs now! :lol

DubMcDub
03-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Well, you haven't said anything relative to what I've said either. You've been babbling about Spurs fans being too emotional or something.

And it all stemmed from me saying that when Dallas beat SA last year, I knew Dallas wouldn't go all the way (Which happened - So....)

I guess I'm too emotionally involved with the Spurs now! :lol

No, it stemmed from many of the other ridiculous remarks you made. If you "knew" such and such would happen (which, by the way, you can only say in retrospect cause the fact is that nobody knows jack shit about what will happen in sports...i bet you "knew" the Spurs would beat the Mavs), good for you. Props.

But my comments have to do with the fact that your points are completely illogical and based solely on the fact that your poor little Spurs couldn't live up to the "just wait until the playoffs roll around" talk that permeated these boards for months and months last season and you're STILL apparently upset about it.

SpursDynasty
03-26-2007, 01:51 AM
No, it stemmed from many of the other ridiculous remarks you made. If you "knew" such and such would happen (which, by the way, you can only say in retrospect cause the fact is that nobody knows jack shit about what will happen in sports...i bet you "knew" the Spurs would beat the Mavs), good for you. Props.

But my comments have to do with the fact that your points are completely illogical and based solely on the fact that your poor little Spurs couldn't live up to the "just wait until the playoffs roll around" talk that permeated these boards for months and months last season and you're STILL apparently upset about it.

My point of thinking Dallas wouldn't go all the way after SA was based on the fact that Dallas has a history of being soft and breaking town in tight situations in the playoffs - which continued last year - not because of me being emotionally involved too much with whatever. I didn't make Dallas lose in the Finals because I was upset over them winning against SA - They lost all on their own :lol

ponky
03-26-2007, 01:55 AM
hilarious how insecure SpursDynasty is about his team. when mavs win it's a fluke. when spurs lose it's a, it's, help me out here SpursDynasty.

ponky
03-26-2007, 02:02 AM
My point of thinking Dallas wouldn't go all the way after SA was based on the fact that Dallas has a history of being soft and breaking town in tight situations in the playoffs - which continued last year - not because of me being emotionally involved too much with whatever. I didn't make Dallas lose in the Finals because I was upset over them winning against SA - They lost all on their own :lol

whereas the spurs have been on a roll since 1999 and have won 7 straight championships. with one exception, the mavs have continued to improve each year that they've been in the playoffs during the nellie/aj coaching time periods. i'm not about to deny that the spurs are a very good team this year and, along with maybe 3-4 other teams, have a great chance of winning the championship but you are freakin' delusional if you can't look past the spurs and at least acknowledge that other teams have a chance of winning, including the mavericks. there's nothing wrong with being a homer if it's your thing but to act like everyone else sucks makes you look like nothing but a moron.

DubMcDub
03-26-2007, 02:03 AM

Your comments about "Miami was just beating a team that they should beat" reek of the standard bitterness of Spurs fan who is emotionally crippled about his Spurs bowing out.

I understand it. San Antonio is a one horse town. Your horse dies and you feel insecure so you make ridiculous comments. Half the Spurs posters on here are guilty of it.

As to your specific comment, no, Miami was not simply "beating a team they should beat". Miami was not favored in the series. You wouldn't find an NBA analyst or impartial basketball fan anywhere who would tell you that, before the series, Miami "should beat Dallas".

As it happened, they did, but make no mistake--what Miami did was an upset. Not a monumental one, but an small upset nonetheless. It's pretty hilarious to hear you claim otherwise and try to discount the Mavs as a team that was somehow clearly inferior to the Heat before the series even started (much like I'm sure you would have claimed them clearly inferior to the Spurs before that series).

THE SIXTH MAN
03-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I understand it. San Antonio is a one horse town. Your horse dies and you feel insecure so you make ridiculous comments. Half the Spurs posters on here are guilty of it.

I'm in no way defending spursdynasty in any way. But I just had to comment on this ridiculous statement that you've made a couple of times in this thread which is very weak. 1.You're assuming that the people that post here are all from San Antonio. Which is far from the truth, there's a lot of mav fans that post here that aren't even from the Dallas area. 2. Since when do you have to live in a city or be from it to root for a certain team? Uninformed blanket statements like this make you look like an :donkey

DubMcDub
03-26-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm in no way defending spursdynasty in any way. But I just had to comment on this ridiculous statement that you've made a couple of times in this thread which is very weak. 1.You're assuming that the people that post here are all from San Antonio. Which is far from the truth, there's a lot of mav fans that post here that aren't even from the Dallas area. 2. Since when do you have to live in a city or be from it to root for a certain team? Uninformed blanket statements like this make you look like an :donkey

I'd venture a guess that around half the posters on here live in or near SA. And I said half the posters on here exhibit such a reaction.

I didn't say everyone. It may not apply to you, it may not apply to people you know who root for the Spurs, it may not apply to many, many people on these boards. But it does apply to a lot of other people. I've been to plenty of games at the ATT Center and I've seen a great sampling over the years of what Spurs fans who live in SA can be like when it comes to their team losing/not performing to expectations.

I do agree with you about blanket statements, and I'm sorry if I came off that way.

SpursDynasty
03-26-2007, 02:21 AM
I find it funny how people get mad at me for saying "A team they're supposed to beat". Miami with Wade are a very good basketball club. They play defense. Dallas did too, until the Finals, which is why defense wins championships and still does, and the defensive team is supposed to win the series.

It doesn't matter who the media thinks is the favorite. The media's favorite has not won since 2002.

Lakers were the media favorite in 2003 and 2004, in 2005 the Pistons were the favorite, and in 2006 the Mavs were the favorite. Also, since 2002 the NBA Champion has never been respected. It's like the league can't make up its mind on who the new monster is since LA's run ended in 2002. The media is always wrong. It does not matter who is "favored" in the series. If you watch without getting brainwashed by commentators, you know very well who you think should really win a series, not who they think should win a series.

So Dallas fans, you can get off our backs now if you really feel your team will win the championship. I don't.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-26-2007, 02:23 AM
I do agree with you about blanket statements, and I'm sorry if I came off that way.
Not a problem.

DubMcDub
03-26-2007, 02:24 AM
I find it funny how people get mad at me for saying "A team they're supposed to beat". Miami with Wade are a very good basketball club. They play defense. Dallas did too, until the Finals, which is why defense wins championships and still does, and the defensive team is supposed to win the series.

It doesn't matter who the media thinks is the favorite. The media's favorite has not won since 2002.

Lakers were the media favorite in 2003 and 2004, in 2005 the Pistons were the favorite, and in 2006 the Mavs were the favorite. The media is always wrong. It does not matter who is "favored" in the series. If you watch without getting brainwashed by commentators, you know very well who you think should really win a series, who they think should win a series.

"The media is always wrong." Except for all those times when the favorite does win. :lol

And it wasn't just the media. Sports bookies, fans of other teams, hell even most Spurs fans (who had more reason than anyone to want the Mavs to lose) figured the Mavs would take it.

Not only that, but the Mavs had a better record, home court advantage, and played in a decidedly stronger conference.

Bottom line, there is absolutely no logical basis whatsoever--none--for saying that Miami "beat a team they should have beat". Miami was a great team and in retrospect played better throughout the series, but before the series the prevailing and correct notion was that the Mavs should have beat them, not the other way around.

ponky
03-26-2007, 11:53 AM
lol, about the stereotyping of cities:

1. I LOVE San Antonio for its Tex-Mex and a distance second, Sea World.
2. I LOVE Dallas for the Mavericks and the Dallas Symphony.
3. Some Spurs fans get really drunk and are crazy screamers...or they are 50 year old Mexican ladies with Tim Duncan jerseys and all the accessories...beads, hats, buttons, beat stix, gotta love the enthusiasm.
4. Some Mavs fans are 20-30 year old upper middle class Texas boyz cussing out every Mavs player who makes a mistake or doesn't quickly pass the ball to Dirk or, they're 20-40 year old Barbie dolls chatting on the cell while sipping a $10 Heineken.

I don't live in either city (ATX here) but I'm closer to S.A. than Dallas and I can appreciate the two cities for their very different atmospheres.

Meanwhile, Spursdynasty continues to be the village idiot, regardless of the *village* we're talking about.

td4mvp21
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Why ponky and DubMcDub even waste their time with SpursDynasty is beyond me :lol.

dirk4mvp
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Is a 5 beating a 4 really considered an upset?

21_Blessings
03-27-2007, 02:03 AM

Thats because Kobe respects Bowen. But really, lets look at what Kobe has done to the Spurs this season.

13-25 34 pts Lakers win

12-19 34 pts Lakers win

13-25 31 pts Spurs win (OT Lakers choked lead)

Kobe basically got whatever he wanted in those games and even held back a bit since he was in facilitator mode. Bowen really isn't what he used to be.

Spurs (and fans) shouldn't act so cocky though. If the Lakers hadn't gotten hit with the injury bug they would be a 50 win team easy. I'd expect a really entertaining series.

DubMcDub
03-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Why ponky and DubMcDub even waste their time with SpursDynasty is beyond me :lol.

Why not? It's amusing. I'm well aware that the general intelligence level of this board is far beyond what he exhibits....so it's fine.