PDA

View Full Version : Great actors in awful movies

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I was channel surfing this weekend and saw a movie called Best of the Best, which I hadn't seen in years and for good reason. It's a crappy martial arts movie starring Eric Roberts. One thing I had forgotten about it was that somehow James Earl Jones was in it. So since it's Monday and I have nothing better to do I thought I'd see how big a list of examples of that sort of thing I could put together. I'm not talking about actors who started out doing crap that went to great things (ex. Jake Gyllenhall in Bubble Boy). I mean established, respected actors who, even if they really needed the money, probably could have picked something much better. Any others jump to mind?

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Oops, forgot to include Martin Sheen in Spawn.

TheTruth
03-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Christopher Walken in his last 5 movies.

TheTruth
03-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh, and Best of the Best was a kick ass movie.

Viva Las Espuelas
well i really don't consider him great, but he did when an oscar. i'm sure that could be debated as well, but what about cuba gooding in Lightning Jack? i think that was his first movie after jerry maguire.

phyzik
John Travolta directing and acting in Battlefield Earth. :vomit:

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 10:45 AM
The late Raul Julia in Street Fighter

ObiwanGinobili
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
William H Macy in: Wild Hogs, Jurassic Park 3, and Cellular

ObiwanGinobili
03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Philip Seymour Hoffman in My Boyrfriend's Back

DarkReign
03-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh, and Best of the Best was a kick ass movie.

:tu

Now, part 2 sucked. But I still watch both when theyre on.

dougp
03-26-2007, 11:46 AM
William H Macy in: Wild Hogs, Jurassic Park 3, and Cellular

Wild Hogs was funny - though his part was admittingly dumb.

SAtown
03-26-2007, 11:53 AM
John Travolta and Steve Buscemi in Domestic Disturbance

SA210
03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Johnny Depp "Secret Window"
Jim Carrey "Fun with Dick and Jane"
Edward Norton "Death to Smoochy"

actually, too many to name.

Xolotl
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Don't forget William H. Macy in Doogal...even though it was just his voice, that movie was terrible so everybody famous in that movie...Whoopi Goldberg, John Stewart, and Kevin Smith

Xolotl
03-26-2007, 12:16 PM
OH wait can't forget Ben Kingsley in Bloodrayne or is it Sir Ben Kingsley..either way he shouldn't have said yes

pussyface
03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
marlon brando, island of dr. marrough
jack, anger management
deniro, analyze that
al pacino, two for the money
joe pesci, gone fishin'

eddie murphy, norbit

ObiwanGinobili
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
eddie murphy shoulda quit the retard movies after Nutty Professor part 1.
really- he's got enough money already.

AFBlue
03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Will Smith, Kevin Kline, and that british guy who played Hamlet in the remake.....all in Wild Wild West (also doubles for worst sountrack record)

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
joe pesci, gone fishin'

Danny Glover got hit by that same bullet.

Michael Keaton in Herby: Fully Loaded

And Tony, I believe the Brit you're referring to is Kenneth Branaugh (not sure about the spelling of the last name.) He's great when he sticks to Shakespeare.

v2freak
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Kristanna Loken, Michael Madsen, Ben Kingsley, Billy Zane and Michelle Rodriguez in Bloodrayne. That movie was entirely too confusing. How did they get an A-list cast and still make it so bad?

AFBlue
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Danny Glover got hit by that same bullet.

Michael Keaton in Herby: Fully Loaded

And Tony, I believe the Brit you're referring to is Kenneth Branaugh (not sure about the spelling of the last name.) He's great when he sticks to Shakespeare.

His southern accent in the movie was god-awful....and yes that's Kenneth Branaugh. Then again, Leonardo DiCaprio gets $20M a film and he's got the worst accents I've ever heard. I couldn't make it through Gangs and didn't even watch Blood Diamond...I shreik at the thought of Leo doing "South African".

Spurfect
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Jim Carrey in The Majestic
Adrian Brodey in The Village

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 01:23 PM
His southern accent in the movie was god-awful....and yes that's Kenneth Branaugh. Then again, Leonardo DiCaprio gets $20M a film and he's got the worst accents I've ever heard. I couldn't make it through Gangs and didn't even watch Blood Diamond...I shreik at the thought of Leo doing "South African".

You want a real test for your ears try pin pointing Halle Berry's nebulous, roaming accent in X-Men. That reminds me:

Halle Berry in Catwoman.

thispego
03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Johnny Depp "Secret Window"
Jim Carrey "Fun with Dick and Jane"
Edward Norton "Death to Smoochy"

actually, too many to name.
death to smoochy was hilarious

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Anthony Hopkins-Mask of Zoro, Freejack
Tom Hanks-Joe vs The Volcano
Georg Clooney-Return of the Killer Tomatoes, Batman and Robin (Uma Thurman is also in this piece of crap)
Robert DeNoro- SHowtime(Eddie Murphy makes everything crap), Mad Dod and Glory(Also has Bill Murray and Uma Thurman)
Christopher Walkin-Blast from the Past, Kangaroo Jack (and too many others to name)
DiCaprio-Critters3, Quick and the Dead (also with Gene Hackman and Russell Crowe)
Christian Bale-Reign of Fire (also had Leaonitas from 300)
Hugh Jackman-Van Helsing, Swordfish
Travolta-so many, Domestic Disturbance (also with Vince Vaughn), Broken Arrow, White Mans Burden, Look Whos Talking Now
Bruce Willis-Alpha Dog, Bandits, The Jackal, Striking Distance, Hudson Hawk
Ewan McGreggor-A Life Less Ordinary
John Cusack-Americas Sweethearts, Con Air
John Malkovich-Eragon, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Knockaround Guys,
Sean Connery-League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Medicine Man, Dragonheart
Johnny Depp-Astonauts Wife, Nick of Time (also with Walken), Once Upon a Time In Mexico, Cry Baby, Freddys Dead:The Final Nightmare

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Kristanna Loken, Michael Madsen, Ben Kingsley, Billy Zane and Michelle Rodriguez in Bloodrayne. That movie was entirely too confusing. How did they get an A-list cast and still make it so bad?Ben Kingsley in Bloodrayne may be the highest ratio of talented actor/crap movie of all time.

(I'm discounting the great actors who made a career of purposely picking crap, like Klaus Kinski.)

pussyface
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
the term "great actor" is being applied way too liberally in this thread.

john travolta, billy zane, will smith...are you guys serious?
see my previous post for a legit. list.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Kristanna Loken, Michael Madsen, Ben Kingsley, Billy Zane and Michelle Rodriguez in Bloodrayne. That movie was entirely too confusing. How did they get an A-list cast and still make it so bad?
Whats confusing is that you think Madsen, Zane, Loken and Rodriguez make up a all star cast

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I think this thread is mistaking "popular actors" with "great actors". and also "actors that were great in one movie and sucked in everything else."

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
the term "great actor" is being applied way too liberally in this thread.

john travolta, billy zane, will smith...are you guys serious?
see my previous post for a legit. list.
No, see mine, you included Pesci and Murphy, makes your list not legit

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
No, see mine, you included Pesci and Murphy, makes your list not legit

not to mention that al pacino has become the biggest hokey self-parody in the history of acting.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Why did Pacino decide that all of his characters had to be exactly like the guy in Scent of a Woman (probably his worst role)?

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Why did Pacino decide that all of his characters had to be exactly like the guy in Scent of a Woman (probably his worst role)?
I dont know, Any Given Sunday was a steaming pile of shit on a plate

spurs_fan_in_exile
Cuz he got an Oscar for Scent of a Woman.

pussyface
i totally agree pacino is the most overrated ham going right now. ...can't argue with some of his back catalogue though.

pesci...yr right...very borderline...may fall into the "great in one movie" trap.

eddie murphy, i think, is a really talented actor and deserves some mention for squandering his considerable talent on an incredible barrage of horrible movies (pluto nash, the klumps, daddy daycare etc.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Cuz he got an Oscar for Scent of a Woman.
Pacino did enough good work in his earlier days, he gets a pass

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
i totally agree pacino is the most overrated ham going right now. ...can't argue with some of his back catalogue though.

pesci...yr right...very borderline...may fall into the "great in one movie" trap.

eddie murphy, i think, is a really talented actor and deserves some mention for squandering his considerable talent on an incredible barrage of horrible movies (pluto nash, the klumps, daddy daycare etc.
I really cant name you one Murphy movie that he was a good actor in. And you forgot Daddy Day Care

thispego
03-26-2007, 01:53 PM

murphy started doing these types of films when he became a daddy himself.. apparantely so his kids could watch his films

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:55 PM
murphy started doing these types of films when he became a daddy himself.. apparantely so his kids could watch his films
He still isnt a good actor, he is a good entertainer

leemajors
03-26-2007, 01:55 PM
well i really don't consider him great, but he did when an oscar. i'm sure that could be debated as well, but what about cuba gooding in Lightning Jack? i think that was his first movie after jerry maguire.

how about cuba and anthony hopkins in INSTINCT.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Pacino did enough good work in his earlier days, he gets a passPacino in Godfather I and II did some of the greatest acting without words ever put on film.

By the time he did GF III he was in full-fledged ham mode. He wasn't Michael Corleone any more.

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
how about cuba and anthony hopkins in INSTINCT.

for some reason that movie reminded me of another shit-heap.

Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones in The Hunted.

leemajors
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I really cant name you one Murphy movie that he was a good actor in. And you forgot Daddy Day Care

coming to america, trading places. that's a start.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyway, I think the criteria should be a great actor who does a good job in a crap movie.

Anybody can do a bad job in a bad movie.

mardigan

Yea, that movie sucked. Although I wouldnt cosider either of em great actors.
And whoever said Cuba made me laugh, that guy is no great actor

leemajors
hopkins was also in hearts in atlantis - incredible book, could not get past the 10 minute mark in the movie.

ShoogarBear
coming to america, trading places. that's a start.I thought 48 HRS was a kick-ass movie.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
coming to america, trading places. that's a start.
But those were comedys, you dont have to be a great actor to be funny. He was funny as hell in those movies, but I wouldnt say either of those movies constitutes great acting

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I thought 48 HRS was a kick-ass movie.
So was Beverly Hills Cop

monosylab1k
Gary Sinise, Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle in Mission To Mars.

....although that movie was probably the highlight of Jerry O'Connell's career.

ShoogarBear
But those were comedys, you dont have to be a great actor to be funny. He was funny as hell in those movies, but I wouldnt say either of those movies constitutes great actingIt's a different kind of acting, but there are lots of great "dramatic" actors who suck at comedy.

leemajors
03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
But those were comedys, you dont have to be a great actor to be funny. He was funny as hell in those movies, but I wouldnt say either of those movies constitutes great acting

i think limiting great acting to "serious" movies is stupid. no one else could have pulled coming to america off.

Spurfect
03-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Pacino has made some really REALLY poor choices, almost unforgivable.. like Gigli and Simone
Robert DeNiro... well, he was in Godsend. enough said about that. horrible..

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Pacino in Godfather I and II did some of the greatest acting without words ever put on film.

By the time he did GF III he was in full-fledged ham mode. He wasn't Michael Corleone any more.
Got to disagree with you on that one, he did a lot of his great work after Godfather 3.

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Yea, that movie sucked. Although I wouldnt cosider either of em great actors.
And whoever said Cuba made me laugh, that guy is no great actor

I dunno, I think Benicio Del Toro is great. Tommy Lee Jones used to be great, but he is turning into another Al Pacino. Every role these days he just rehashes Sam Gerard from The Fugitive.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:03 PM
i think limiting great acting to "serious" movies is stupid. no one else could have pulled coming to america off.
Except that even Arsenio Hall was good in that movie

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Pacino has made some really REALLY poor choices, almost unforgivable.. like Gigli and Simone
Robert DeNiro... well, he was in Godsend. enough said about that. horrible..
DeNiro has def made more crappy movies than Pacino.
As far as Benicio, dont get me wrong, I do think when he is on he is on, but he doent make enough good movies, or movies period for me to think he is a great actor. And Tommy Lee Jones I could never understand why people though was so great, he has probably mad 3 good movies his whole career and for some reason people think he is great. Although I will say the 3 Burials of Melquiadas Estradas was kick ass, Barry Pepper had quickly become one of my favorite actors.

leemajors
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Except that even Arsenio Hall was good in that movie

he probably couldn't help but be good next to eddie murphy at that time.

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Barry Pepper had quickly become one of my favorite actors.

He's incredibly great in the movie 61 where he plays Roger Maris. Same with Thomas Jane who is Mickey Mantle.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
He's incredibly great in the movie 61 where he plays Roger Maris. Same with Thomas Jane who is Mickey Mantle.
He kicks ass in just about everything I have ever seen him in, from Saving Private Ryan to 25th Hour.
Gene hackman has made some shit as well, forgot to bring him up

leemajors
03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
He kicks ass in just about everything I have ever seen him in, from Saving Private Ryan to 25th Hour.
Gene hackman has made some shit as well, forgot to bring him up

don't forget his heroic turn in battlefield earth. the best actor stuck in that pos was forrest whitaker though.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns. Every last review I read said that he stole every scene but the rest of the movie was crap.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns. Every last review I read said that he stole every scene but the rest of the movie was crap.
That whole movie sucked. And Kevin Spacey is a wierd call, for every Usual Suspects he makes a K-Pax. And yes Battelfield Earth was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, almost as bad as Waterworld

Summers
03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Do bad kids' movies count? We have this Thomas the Tank Engine movie that includes Alec Baldwin and Peter Fonda. Perhaps we're spoiled by Pixar films, but it's the worst-written most boring piece of crap film we've ever had to suffer through and we can't help but wonder how they black-mailed two oscar winners to be in it.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Do bad kids' movies count? We have this Thomas the Tank Engine movie that includes Alec Baldwin and Peter Fonda. Perhaps we're spoiled by Pixar films, but it's the worst-written most boring piece of crap film we've ever had to suffer through and we can't help but wonder how they black-mailed two oscar winners to be in it.
Oh Alec Baldwin, he does some good acting, and then he will turn around and make you watch The Shadow.Or how about Liam Neason in Darkman?

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Or how about Dennis Hopper? All I have to say is Super Mario Bros, (which also had Bob Hoskins in it)

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh Alec Baldwin, he does some good acting, and then he will turn around and make you watch The Shadow.Or how about Liam Neason in Darkman?

Darkman is the shit! However he did follow up Schindler's List with Nell.

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Denzel in John Q.....and every Tony Scott film he does.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Denzel in John Q.....and every Tony Scott film he does.
Yea, Denzel had made some very bad films

Spurfect
03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
i liked John Q :oops

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Darkman is the shit! However he did follow up Schindler's List with Nell.
That movie was Sam Raimi (the director of the Spider Man and Evil Dead series) first mainstream hits after the Evil Dead movies. He also directed The Quick and the Dead

leemajors
03-26-2007, 02:31 PM

liam neeson's best role is swayze's hick brother that gets killed in Next of Kin.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Denzel in John Q.....and every Tony Scott film he does.Crimson Tide was okay.

Sportcamper
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Jürgen Prochnow in Beerfest...

mardigan
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Jürgen Prochnow in Beerfest...
Beerfest was awesome

AFBlue
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM

A fucking bomb if I ever saw one....horrible.

Another Tommy Lee Jones favorite...that Cheerleader movie

Though I'm not calling him a "Great" actor

shelshor
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Rob Morrow and Johnny Depp in Private Resort, if we're talking movies early in their careers
If we're talking establishing a reputation, then making bad movies Sir Ben Kingsley may well have set the record for the fastest sullying of his Oscar when he followed Gandhi with Betrayal, Turtle Diary, Death and the Maiden, Suspect Zero and the often cited BloodRayne, just to hit some of the lowlights

mardigan
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Rob Morrow and Johnny Depp in Private Resort, if we're talking movies early in their careers
If we're talking establishing a reputation, then making bad movies Sir Ben Kingsley may well have set the record for the fastest sullying of his Oscar when he followed Gandhi with Betrayal, Turtle Diary, Death and the Maiden, Suspect Zero and the often cited BloodRayne, just to hit some of the lowlights
Suspect Zero was the shit

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Don't forget Species.

shelshor
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Don't forget Species.
I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of the great performance by Natasha Henstridge's two talents

And lest we forget: Clint Eastwood in Bronco Billy and Pink Cadillac

dallaskd
03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Jim Carrey in The Cableguy
Vince Vaughn in The Break-up

dallaskd
03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Theres to many to name....

mardigan
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Jim Carrey in The Cableguy
Vince Vaughn in The Break-up
The Cable Guy kicks ass

leemajors
03-26-2007, 05:10 PM
carrey and vaughn are much more of a stretch than murphy.

shelshor
03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Theres to many to name....
True
The list is much shorter for great actors in great movies

miss paxton
03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I've read this whole thread and didn't see Samuel L. Jackson mentioned. The same man who can be so mesmerizing ("Pulp Fiction", "Jackie Brown") has also done things like "Shaft" and "Snakes on a Plane" (which, I admit, I didn't see--didn't seem like it was necessary).

And agreed, the Al Pacino of Godfathers I and II is nowhere to be found these days.

I'll give actors a pass for appearing in something that could have been a good idea, and that just didn't work on some level due to confusing storytelling or weak performances from the other actors. It's when I know they're just going out and doing a piece of crap for the paycheck (I'm looking right at you, Robert de Niro--"Meet the Fockers", anyone? Even Keanu Reeves knew better than to show up for "Speed 2"), when they don't need the money and they like to pretend they're all about the "craft", that I don't like it.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Gene Kelly in fucking Xanadu.

I know this because I've seen this movie dozens of times due to my older brother's infatuation with Olivia Newton John.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
It's a different kind of acting, but there are lots of great "dramatic" actors who suck at comedy.
And there is also a world of difference in a comedian and a comedic actor.

Spurminator
03-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Billy Bob Thornton in Armageddon, Bad Santa and The Astronaut Farmer.

Spurminator
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Meryl Streep in Before and After and She Devil.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
I've read this whole thread and didn't see Samuel L. Jackson mentioned. The same man who can be so mesmerizing ("Pulp Fiction", "Jackie Brown") has also done things like "Shaft" and "Snakes on a Plane" (which, I admit, I didn't see--didn't seem like it was necessary).

I gave Samuel L. a pass because after looking at how many movies he's done in a short time period I believe he is physically and mentally incapable of turning down a part.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Billy Bob Thornton in Armageddon, Bad Santa and The Astronaut Farmer.
Billy Bob was the shit in Bad Santa, one of the funniest movies I have ever seen

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Ben Stiller and Christopher Walken from Envy

CuckingFunt
03-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Morgan Freeman is one of my very favorite actors ever, but appeared in Deep Impact and Chain Reaction.

CuckingFunt
03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
But those were comedys, you dont have to be a great actor to be funny. He was funny as hell in those movies, but I wouldnt say either of those movies constitutes great actingActually, amongst actors and theater types, its generally considered to be much more difficult to pull off comedy than drama.

Duff McCartney
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Ben Kingsley in Bloodrayne may be the highest ratio of talented actor/crap movie of all time.

(I'm discounting the great actors who made a career of purposely picking crap, like Klaus Kinski.)

How about Ben Kingsley in A Sound Of Thunder?

dallaskd
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Billy Bob was the shit in Bad Santa, one of the funniest movies I have ever seen

The fat kid in Bad Santa was epic. :lol

dallaskd
03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
True

Bad actors in great movies....

dallaskd
03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
True

Bad actors in great movies....

dallaskd
03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
**double post...oopps**

mardigan
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
The fat kid in Bad Santa was epic. :lol
How do the reindeer sleep? Do you want me to make you some sandwiches?

mookie2001
03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
paul newman hombre and chris farley almost heroes

mookie2001
03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
clint eastwood in every non western role

mardigan
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
paul newman hombre and chris farley almost heroes
Chris Farley as well in Beverly Hills Ninja

leemajors
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Morgan Freeman is one of my very favorite actors ever, but appeared in Deep Impact and Chain Reaction.

the big bounce.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Chris Farley?! What?! I must have missed something...... I thought this thread was about GREAT ACTORS!

mardigan
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Chris Farley?! What?! I must have missed something...... I thought this thread was about GREAT ACTORS!
Somebody brought him up so I just replied

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Name another actor out there who can do what Chris Farley did, as funny as he did it.

God as my witness, if you say Horatio Sanz, I will find out where you live and kill you in your sleep.

SAtown
03-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Name another actor out there who can do what Chris Farley did, as funny as he did it.

God as my witness, if you say Horatio Sanz, I will find out where you live and kill you in your sleep.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangry

mrsmaalox
03-26-2007, 09:45 PM

Horatio WHO?

scott
03-26-2007, 09:47 PM

What is it that Farley *did*? Be a fat guy?

King
03-26-2007, 09:50 PM

No. He was loud, too.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Chris Farley?! What?! I must have missed something...... I thought this thread was about GREAT ACTORS!I was busting out laughing when I saw that name.

Next somebody's gonna say Jack Black . . .

ShoogarBear
03-26-2007, 10:24 PM
If we're going to talk Morgan Freeman in crap movies, how can you not mention Driving Miss Daisy?

monosylab1k
03-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Again - name me another guy that can do what Chris Farley did. Seriously. Say what you want about the guy, but nobody could pull of the shit he could pull off, in the manner that he did it.

I'm not saying he's some accomplished thespian, but let's see Sean Penn or Tim Robbins or whoever try to do what Chris Farley did. They'd fail miserably.

Comedy's alot tougher than people will give credit for.

mrsmaalox
03-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Again - name me another guy that can do what Chris Farley did. Seriously. Say what you want about the guy, but nobody could pull of the shit he could pull off, in the manner that he did it.

I'm not saying he's some accomplished thespian, but let's see Sean Penn or Tim Robbins or whoever try to do what Chris Farley did. They'd fail miserably.

Comedy's alot tougher than people will give credit for.
I love comedy and I agree comedy is difficult for straight actors to accomplish. And you are right, no one can do what Chris Farley did, but trying to compare him to Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, etc. is like comparing apples to oranges; they are not the same. And my only point was that this thread is about great actors, which Chris Farley is not. But yes, Farley was one of the funniest guys ever.

Xolotl
03-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Can't forget Hillary Swank in The Next Karate Kid, I dont know if she's considered great but that piece of shit waste of movie has to count as being so bad that just the fact she has a career after it must make her the best actress of all time

cherylsteele
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Stallone - Rhinestone or Stop or My Mom Will Shoot
Warren Beatty and Dustin hoffmanin Ishtar (kills 2 birds with one stone there).
Bill Cosby - Leonard Part 6
Tim Robbins - Howarrd the Duck

Spurminator
03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Bill Cosby - Leonard Part 6

+ Ghost Dad

cherylsteele
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Robin Williams - Toys

Fillmoe
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
did someone just call stallone a good actor? :lol :lol :lol

cherylsteele
03-27-2007, 02:46 PM
did someone just call stallone a good actor? :lol :lol :lol
No worse the Chris Farley as per the thread title.

Spurminator
03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Has anyone mentioned half of Nicholas Cage's career yet?

mardigan
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I didnt bring up him or Keanu because thats just too easy,
And if people are name dropping Stallone, then Arnold should be in this. Junior and Jingle all the Way are two of the worst movies ever made. But if anyone says Last Action Hero we will fight

mardigan
03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, and if anybody wants to see th actual worst movie ever made, see Double Dragon with Scott Wolf, it will make you laugh, cry, and shart

ShoogarBear
03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Stallone and Keanu are not good actors, much less great.

Nic Cage is definitely talented, but he falls a little into the Klaus Kinski category of picking lots of crap on purpose.

ShoogarBear
03-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Actually, I just thought of perhaps the all-time champeen in this category:

Laurence Olivier in The Betsy. It has to be seen to be believed.

03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Charlize Theron in Reindeer Games.

03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Peter O'Toole in King Ralph.

Spurfect
03-27-2007, 04:24 PM

I thought of him but I don't think he'd be considered a great actor. but if we are talking about awful movies I'd have to give it to him with The Wickerman... now that movie is a P.O.S.

SpursWoman
03-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Not true ... it definitely takes talent to be funny. Look at how many try and fail desperately around here. :spin

mardigan
03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Not true ... it definitely takes talent to be funny. Look at how many try and fail desperately around here. :spin
Yes it is true, talent at one thing doesnt equate to talent at another. Thats why you dont see many comedic actors make good serious movies.

SpursWoman
03-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Gene Kelly in fucking Xanadu.

I know this because I've seen this movie dozens of times due to my older brother's infatuation with Olivia Newton John.

Bite me ... that was my favorite movie from age 8 to about age 13. :spin

Kevin Blackistone
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.smileygenerator.us/t/temp/CHINESE/mad.gif (http://www.smileygenerator.us)

03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
A place where nobody dared to go
The love that we came to know
They call it Xanadu!!!

SpursWoman
03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes it is true, talent at one thing doesnt equate to talent at another. Thats why you dont see many comedic actors make good serious movies.

So the criteria for "good movie" and "great actor" is relegated to serious flicks only?

mardigan
03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
So the criteria for "good movie" and "great actor" is relegated to serious flicks only?
No, not true at all, but if we are talking about great actors in great movies, the first thoughts I have arent usually of Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber or Ace Ventura, or Sandler in Madison or Gilmore. I know how hard comedy is to pull off, very difficult, unless its an extension of you, which is why a lot of comedians are funny, they are just acting natural. Where I think playing something that doesntt come natural, (playing a murder, transsexual, detective), is much harder to pull off

Fillmoe
03-27-2007, 04:50 PM
i am still confused as to why ppl would think stallone is a good actor.........

mardigan
03-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Didnt you see Judge Dredg?

CuckingFunt
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
If we're going to talk Morgan Freeman in crap movies, how can you not mention Driving Miss Daisy?I actually thought about this a bit after first mentioning Freeman, and he has been in A LOT of crap movies.

Weird thing is that he usually manages to still be good in them.

CuckingFunt
03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Actually, I just thought of perhaps the all-time champeen in this category:

Laurence Olivier in The Betsy. It has to be seen to be believed.Olivier and Maggie Smith are both in Clash of the Titans.

Which is, to be honest, one of my favorite movies, but still utter crap.

mardigan
03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Olivier and Maggie Smith are both in Clash of the Titans.

Which is, to be honest, one of my favorite movies, but still utter crap.
Clash of The Titans was one of my favorite movies ever when I was growing up

miss paxton
03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
"Clash of the Titans" is a dreadful movie. That and "The Breakfast Club" are two of my Worst Movies Ever.

Stallone and Keanu are not good actors, much less great.

This is true, but reminds me of an offhand comment my sister-in-law made one day that Keanu Reeves is, in her opinion, the worst actor of all. Normally, I'm not a huge Keanu defender, except on the basis that he's extremely good-looking and that's as good a reason as any to go to the movies sometimes. But, worst ever? With Stallone out there? And Patrick Swayze who inflicted "Dirty Dancing" on an unsuspecting public? Judd Nelson is also a terrible actor, and I think Kiefer Sutherland is singularly untalented and has been dull in every movie I've ever seen with him (I don't watch "24" so can't speak to that).

mardigan
03-27-2007, 07:08 PM
"Clash of the Titans" is a dreadful movie. That and "The Breakfast Club" are two of my Worst Movies Ever.

This is true, but reminds me of an offhand comment my sister-in-law made one day that Keanu Reeves is, in her opinion, the worst actor of all. Normally, I'm not a huge Keanu defender, except on the basis that he's extremely good-looking and that's as good a reason as any to go to the movies sometimes. But, worst ever? With Stallone out there? And Patrick Swayze who inflicted "Dirty Dancing" on an unsuspecting public? Judd Nelson is also a terrible actor, and I think Kiefer Sutherland is singularly untalented and has been dull in every movie I've ever seen with him (I don't watch "24" so can't speak to that).
I really believe that Keanu and Cage are the worst 2 popular actors alive, they can single handedly ruin a movie (Con Air, Dracula)

miss paxton
03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Not that Keanu was any good in "Dracula", but neither was anyone else. Plus, everything else about the movie sucked. I agree with you about Nicholas Cage, though--I started finding him intolerable at the time of that awful "City of Angels" movie, or whatever it was called, with Meg Ryan. I saw it with a friend of mine, who loves Cage, and even she didn't like it and had to admit his acting choices in the movie were. . . boring.

miss paxton
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
I just thought of another good example (I think)--Sean Connery in " The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Now that was a horrible movie. I'm not sure I'd consider Connery "great", but he's done enough good work and is certainly financially secure enough that he didn't need to ruin his reputation with that trash.

ShoogarBear
03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Dustin Hoffman.

Ishtar.

Do I win?

cherylsteele
03-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Good actor is a matter of opinion don't you think?
I don't see you contributing too much to the thread.

cherylsteele
03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Dustin Hoffman.

Ishtar.

Do I win?
Sorry...I beat you to it in post #118.:D

mrsmaalox
03-27-2007, 09:53 PM
You and me both! How about Michael Caine in "Blame It on Rio"? And I think Nicholas Cage is one of those guys who likes to "suffer" for the art; I haven't really cared for anything of his since Moonstruck or Raising Arizona. Now what about this guy Jude Law? I just can't understand his appeal. Did I miss something there? Can anyone recommend one of his films that would help me too see it?

Summers
03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Can't forget Hillary Swank in The Next Karate Kid, I dont know if she's considered great but that piece of shit waste of movie has to count as being so bad that just the fact she has a career after it must make her the best actress of all time

I think the rule was great actors who did crap after they became recognized (not just, "Well, I gotta eat!" choices). Hillary Swank was jailbait when she did that movie, so I think she gets a pass.

monosylab1k
03-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Now what about this guy Jude Law? I just can't understand his appeal. Did I miss something there? Can anyone recommend one of his films that would help me too see it?

Jude Law was great in The Talented Mr. Ripley and Road To Perdition. He's actually great in alot of stuff he does...but lately he's accepting alot of crappy "hot British guy" roles, probably just for the paycheck.

mrsmaalox
03-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Jude Law was great in The Talented Mr. Ripley and Road To Perdition. He's actually great in alot of stuff he does...but lately he's accepting alot of crappy "hot British guy" roles, probably just for the paycheck.
I actually did see Road to Perdition. Was he the guy that was Paul Newman's son? I'll need to re-watch that.

CuckingFunt
03-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Jude Law was great in The Talented Mr. Ripley and Road To Perdition. He's actually great in alot of stuff he does...but lately he's accepting alot of crappy "hot British guy" roles, probably just for the paycheck.He has been way too overexposed and became the leading man in a bunch of shit. Unfortunately. I see him somewhat similar to Brad Pitt in the sense that he can be very good in good/interesting/challenging movies, but strugles in fluff.

Gattaca, eXistenZ, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Road to Perdition, Closer and Enemy At The Gates are all solid performances. And, while I'm made physically ill by most "chick flicks", The Holiday was rather charming and he was quite good in it.

CuckingFunt
03-28-2007, 01:12 AM
I actually did see Road to Perdition. Was he the guy that was Paul Newman's son? I'll need to re-watch that.Newman's son was played by Daniel Craig. Law was the assassin/crime photographer.

mrsmaalox
03-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Newman's son was played by Daniel Craig. Law was the assassin/crime photographer.
Okay I remember him now and that was a good character; but then they all were. And I did see Closer, but I found him to be a bit too "delicate" for my taste.

shelshor
03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
I would't call "The Sting" a serious flick--very good borderline great, but not serious

shelshor
03-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Dustin Hoffman.

Ishtar.

Do I win?
I didn't think it was quite as bad as either of these remakes:
"A Star Is Born" with Kris Kristofferson & Barbra Streisand
"Suspicion" with Jane Curtin

mrsmaalox
03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I didn't think it was quite as bad as either of these remakes:
"A Star Is Born" with Kris Kristofferson & Barbra Streisand
"Suspicion" with Jane Curtin
Suspicion? Jane Curtin? Well I can just kill myself now---I had no idea such a thing could possibly exist!!!

miss paxton
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
"Closer" was a pretty bad movie--that might fit this category, since talented actors were sort of wasted in it. Also, Natalie Portman, while she is a beautiful young lady, was totally miscast as a stripper.

What about "Indecent Proposal"? That was a truly stupid and virtually unwatchable movie that wasted Robert Redford and that he clearly did for the paycheck. Demi Moore is not a talented actress and I personally can't stand Woody Harrelson, so I wouldn't say they qualify for this thread but Redford does.

Oh, and "A Star is Born" is indeed awful. I wouldn't count Kristofferson as a great actor, although Streisand can be very good. She's hard to watch, though, since it so clearly kills her that she's not pretty and always has to try to compensate for that ("The Mirror Has Two Faces", for example). I don't know why it bothers her so much--I mean, I'm pretty confident I'm better-looking than she is, but I think she's got the last laugh, what with her fortune and talent.

MrChug
03-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Morgan Freeman in Batman Begins. He shoulda been Alfred! :p:

leemajors
03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
tim robbins in antitrust, jeff bridges in stick it, as well as arlington road. arlington road was memorable though, if only for the terrorist BBQ scene. coincidentally, tim robbins is in that too.

ShoogarBear
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Morgan Freeman in Batman Begins. He shoulda been Alfred! :p:Doing a voiceover!

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Doing a voiceover!

I still believe that if America's Funniest Home Videos would hire him to do the voiceovers on their clips they'd be up to their eyeballs in Emmy awards. He could make even the most painful of nut shots sound dignified.

ShoogarBear
03-29-2007, 04:15 PM
"They say there's a spot on a man's body where, if you hit it just right, you can make him wish he'd get to dying. I hope I never get hit there. I hope my friends never get hit there. I hope . . ."