PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Lakers First Round Match up

carib
03-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Would the Spurs sweep the Lakers, are they going to contain Kobe to fewer than 20, or do Kobe go crazy on the Spurs and the Lakers beat the Spurs?

Mr. Body
03-26-2007, 11:09 AM
None of the above.

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
bruce bowen is going to wingchun kobes leg yee ha 4-0 sweep

alamo50
03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Bring it on, I can't freakin' wait!

:ihit

Kori Ellis
03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm glad the playoffs don't start right now. Because Kobe is playing so well right this second that he'd steal a couple games from the Spurs on his own. But I'm sure he'll be a little cooled down when the playoffs start.

I don't think it will be a easy series anyway. I think the Spurs would win in five or six hard fought games.

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
kobe is actually in 2nd place for vbookie....did he paid you under the table kori.....:(:(

ploto
03-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Who covers Odom?

Kori Ellis
03-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Who covers Odom?

The athletic long forward that the Spurs still don't have :)

ploto
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
The athletic long forward that the Spurs still don't have :)
:lol I actually meant it as a serious question. If Bowen is on Kobe, who gets Lamar?

SAtown
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
The January 28 OT game @ LAL was a good indication of how hard the series will be, especially in LA.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
:lol I actually meant it as a serious question.

:lol

I am guessing Elson. The Lakers will present matchup problems for the Spurs. Manu will have to guard a 6'8 Luke Walton, no one really matches up well with Lamar, etc.

Testing
03-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes but our Parker will own their Parker and will give the Spurs their biggest edge. Also, Kwame Brown/Bynum would get owned by a playoff Tim Duncan.

carib
03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I can feel it right now, this year Lakers I think is better than last year team, and the Spurs Defence is off the chain.

By the way I miss the Spurs Lakers head to head match up, it's much better than the Dallas match up.

ploto
03-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I am guessing Elson. The Lakers will present matchup problems for the Spurs. Manu will have to guard a 6'8 Luke Walton, no one really matches up well with Lamar, etc.
That's what I was thinking about? Do you put Brent Barry on Luke Walton or move Manu back into the starting line-up? And how effective can Elson be on Odom if he plays like he did yesterday. I was trying to remember if the Spurs had ever used Manu on Kobe and Bruce on Odom?

timvp
03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I was trying to remember if the Spurs had ever used Manu on Kobe and Bruce on Odom?

No.

That'd be a disaster.

gospursgojas
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Did I miss something is this an official matchup... there's still like 20 games left

Kori Ellis
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Did I miss something is this an official matchup... there's still like 20 games left

:lol There's 13 games left and no, it's not official.

mikejones99
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Most likely the Spurs play Lakers or Denver and most Spurs can guard Odom easily, especially since he is injured. Don't listen to women about basketball, most have no fucking idea.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Most likely the Spurs play Lakers or Denver and most Spurs can guard Odom easily, especially since he is injured. Don't listen to women about basketball, most have no fucking idea.

Yeah I'm aware he's playing through injuries.

He's also averaging 18 points and 12 rebounds in his last five games, including 24 and 19 last night.

Sure .. anyone can guard him.

:rolleyes

mikejones99
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Oberto, Elson, Duncan, Bowen, Horry can do the job

mabber
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Horry could probably do a decent job on Odom but, overall, I think Odom would be a tough matchup for the Spurs. Bowen will be occupied on Kobe.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Oberto, Elson, Duncan, Bowen, Horry can do the job

:lol

Okay.

Just skim over the fact that you had no freakin clue that Odom was back from injury weeks ago.

Fabbs
03-26-2007, 01:37 PM
We get trolls from all over.
mikejones where do you hail from?

mikejones99
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Odom was showing injury signs last night against Golden State and will need surgery after the season.

SequSpur
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Sweep.

l3orecl
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
24-19 against GS last night. He was a monster on the boards, getting rebounds over 2+ Warriors. As teh broadcasters pointed out last night, his logn arms give him an edge.

Medvedenko
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
I hope we play the spurs in the playoffs...not so much the first round, but it would be cool. We still need to get Mo Evans and Radman back, plus Cook came back yesterday to play spot minutes. We match up well when healthy. The x factor is Manu...like it always is.

ploto
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
No.

That'd be a disaster.
So you want Brent Barry on Luke Walton??

Doesn't Manu usually cover Kobe when Bruce goes out?

SpursDynasty
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Spurs over Lakers in 5. Let's not start another "Such and such over Spurs in the first round". We really don't need that again. I heard enough of that in 2003, 2005, and 2006, with predictions of the Suns, Nuggets, and Kings winning the first round series vs the Spurs because of a Game 1 steal win or a 2-2 series tie after 4 games.

To say the Lakers will win vs the Spurs in Round 1, is about as funny as a lot of this message board saying SA would slip to the #6 seed in the West, just a little over a month ago.

Spurs = lowest opponents' points per game allowed + 1st in points scored per game differential.

Purple & Gold
03-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Have you guys given up on that second seed? I'd much rather face the Suns than the Spurs in the first round.

21_Blessings
03-27-2007, 02:31 AM
bruce bowen is going to wingchun kobes leg yee ha 4-0 sweep

(repost from other thread)

Lets look at what Kobe has done to the Spurs this season.

13-25 34 pts Lakers win

12-19 34 pts Lakers win

13-25 31 pts Spurs win (OT Lakers choked lead)

Kobe basically got whatever he wanted in those games and even held back a bit since he was in facilitator mode. Bowen really isn't what he used to be.

Spurs (and fans) shouldn't act so cocky though. If the Lakers hadn't gotten hit with the injury bug they would be a 50 win team easy. I'd expect a really entertaining series.

Also, yeah, I haven't really thought about the mismatch Odom presents, should be interestng. If he brings what he did last year in the playoffs, he will pose some problems for the Spurs.

The worst mismatch of all is Smush guarding the Tony/Eva train. We're talking about one of the worst defensive point guards in the league trying to defend a pg who gets in the paint at will. Should be a disaster, especially considering Smush's backups are Sasha Vujacic and Shammond Williamns. Maybe Phil will go with rook and Famar to see if he can step up, but I doubt that he gets any run. Really, I have no idea what the Lakers will do with that matchup besides pray for a TP injury or something.

SpursFanInAustin
03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
(repost from other thread)

Lets look at what Kobe has done to the Spurs this season.

13-25 34 pts Lakers win

12-19 34 pts Lakers win

13-25 31 pts Spurs win (OT Lakers choked lead)

Kobe basically got whatever he wanted in those games and even held back a bit since he was in facilitator mode. Bowen really isn't what he used to be.

Spurs (and fans) shouldn't act so cocky though. If the Lakers hadn't gotten hit with the injury bug they would be a 50 win team easy. I'd expect a really entertaining series.

Also, yeah, I haven't really thought about the mismatch Odom presents, should be interestng. If he brings what he did last year in the playoffs, he will pose some problems for the Spurs.

The worst mismatch of all is Smush guarding the Tony/Eva train. We're talking about one of the worst defensive point guards in the league trying to defend a pg who gets in the paint at will. Should be a disaster, especially considering Smush's backups are Sasha Vujacic and Shammond Williamns. Maybe Phil will go with rook and Famar to see if he can step up, but I doubt that he gets any run. Really, I have no idea what the Lakers will do with that matchup besides pray for a TP injury or something.

Good post...

But you should also consider that the Spurs have had injuries this season as well (Elson and Bonner). The Spurs played all 3 meetings vs. the Lakers with Oberto starting at center, and now Oberto is no longer in the rotation. The Spurs team defense has gotten much better ever since Elson was inserted into the starting lineup with his speed and length to intimidate at the basket. Matt Bonner has taken some of Robert Horry's minutes backing up Duncan and has made an impact with his hustle and outside shooting.

As far as matching up with Odom, yes he does present matchup problems, but I think the Spurs will use Elson to guard Odom. Yes, Odom does space the floor and bring Elson away from defending in the paint, but I think Elson is quick enough to stay in front of Odom to keep him from taking him off the dribble. Maybe he posts up Elson, but Elson has enough length to resist his height advantage.

Kobe will get his, like he always has against Bowen, but it's all about having Kobe score 1 point per shot attempt (ie. 30 pts on 27-35 shots). And as far as Smush against TP? I think Phil will use the same strategy he used in 2004 when Parker went off for the first 2 games and adjusted with doubling TP and also packing the paint in to prevent him from penetrating at will and try to make the outside shooters like Barry, Bowen, and Finley to beat them from the outside (something Hedo, Bowen and Horry did not do in 04). Bynum, Kwame, and Turiaf will use up a lot of fouls on Duncan to wear him down and put him at the FT line where he struggles.

No doubt LA will make the Spurs work to put them away in the 1st round as you'd have 2 of the best NBA coaches in league history with 12 combined championship rings between them, including two superstars (Duncan and Kobe) with 3 rings apiece who know what it takes to win.

tlongII
04-01-2007, 10:15 PM
That will be the matchup. Not a good one for the Spurs. The Lakers are 2 and 1 against San Antonio with their only loss coming in overtime. What will happen to the Spurs if they lose in the first round? :wow :cuss :hang

SAtown
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I doubt Kobe can outscore the entire Spurs team 4/7 times.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM

trust me, we don't want to start off the playoffs with this matchup

hence the importance of a #2 seed

Buddy Holly
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
What will happen to the Spurs if they lose in the first round?

You'll lose your viriginity? Come on, that shit ain't happening.

1Parker1
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM

:lol Not that I disagree, but bad timing with that comment. Seeing as how Kobe did just come off a 50+ point performance for 4 straight games...

That being said, I doubt the Spurs will lose in the first round to the Lakers. Lakers are still too young and inexperienced to handle the Spurs in the first roun. But they will make it a tough series...I think it could go to 6 games...and that may not bode well for the Spurs if they have to play the Suns and the Mavs on the road without HCA for the next two series. It will be tough to do...especially with small ball.

missmyzte
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
This would be a great playoff match-up for me, those being my two teams. I'm taking vacation the first week of the playoffs because I want to travel to see a game .

SequSpur
04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
This would be a great playoff match-up for me, those being my two teams. I'm taking vacation the first week of the playoffs because I want to travel to see a game .

Isn't there a Laker forum for you to dribble on? Go away already.. WTF? I fuckin hate laker fans.. I hate Mav fans... I hate Suns fans... WTF?

GTFO already.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
The only positive i see in the spurs having a tough first round matchup is that we had tough 1sr rd matchups in 2003 and 2005 (the nuggets series had a lot of close games) that maybe got our attention and focus early on as oppose to sleep walking through a weak team and getting a rude awakening in rd 2 with a vastly superior opponent.

but then again we had a tough 1st rd series last year and well....

basically i still think the easier the opening rd the better

so at this point i'm hoping denver or lac overtakes the lakers for the 6 seed :lol

SAtown
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
:lol Not that I disagree, but bad timing with that comment. Seeing as how Kobe did just come off a 50+ point performance for 4 straight games...

:lol I know, just being dumb. I just find it ridiculous for people to assume that any loss reflects what's going to happen in the future, particularly the playoffs.

ShoogarBear
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Phil Jackson will take Small Ball and bend it over.

The Spurs might win, but it will not be pretty.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I actually think the Lakers will give us trouble. And Kobe in the playoffs... :wow That man is angry, he will try to kill us.

missmyzte
04-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Isn't there a Laker forum for you to dribble on? Go away already.. WTF? I fuckin hate laker fans.. I hate Mav fans... I hate Suns fans... WTF?

GTFO already.
:lmao

And yes, I am on a Lakers forum. Thanks for asking!

krinkx
04-01-2007, 11:28 PM
I actually think the Lakers will give us trouble. And Kobe in the playoffs... :wow That man is angry, he will try to kill us.

teamwise, i dont think the lakers can beat us... it will take the whole lakers including phil to be angry (and not just kobe) to kill us... i think our spurs are hungrier becoz of the letdown last year against the mavs...

Gino20
04-01-2007, 11:32 PM
I can actually see this a 5 game series in the Spurs favor. Yes, the Lakers won the regular season series, but everyone knows the playoffs are a different story. I don't think the Lakers can match a playoff Duncan, Ginobili, or Parker. It's to much to place on one man's shoulders (Kobe).

Medvedenko
04-01-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVa6CMssZes&mode=related&search=
Shaq fouled out in Finals Game 4 OT....missed 21 FT's .....Kobe time...

Oh, if we're healthy, bench wise we'll give you guys a good run. If we don't have the depth, we'll lose in 5-6

Fabbs
04-01-2007, 11:48 PM
What will happen to the Spurs if they lose in the first round? :wow :cuss :hang
Nothing. Lord Poppycock will make some bland glib comments and sidestep the reasons for the loss, namely that Phil Js strategy owns him. Holt will exert zero pressure, Pop apologists will parrott "3 Championships in 10 years" and ask who else has ever done that?

I hope I'm wrong and TallBall comes back.
If the Spurs title i will kiss some PopLovin single SpurTalk female posters ass on pay per view.

The Duncan window is now. How long it lasts, who knows, but why screw with the chance. :drunk

slayermin
04-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Bring em on. That way, I get to check out a playoff game at Staples. Also, it gives us a chance to truly exorcise the ghosts of 0.4 once and for all.

Medvedenko
04-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm excited...I hope they play. I'd rather lose to the Spurs than Dallas or Phoenix. Oh, and I'd rather beat the Spurs rather than those championless also rans.

milkyway21
04-02-2007, 12:05 AM
we can beat the Lakers in the first round but it will be hard and it might take us to 6-7 games. And the Spurs team will be so tired enough to easily dispatch their 2nd round opponent that whoever it might be can bring us to another 6-7 games and then if we can survive, & the WC finals is about to start we are not ready, we have no time enough to prepare on how to strategize against our opponent who might be waiting for us and rested well to enough to kick our asses away :lol

This is not the same path we had in 2003->and the magic number for that road to 3rd title was 4-6. The 2005 title was so intense, heart-pounding I do not want to experience again esp the finals against the Pistons-7 games. One false move and it's over. One injury away of the big 3 and we're done.

But do we really have a choice? Denver Nuggets can also be a dangerous team. I don't want to face Houston or Utah either. And the 8th seed, the weakest team belongs to Dallas.
Okay Lakers see ya!

J.T.
04-02-2007, 12:18 AM

I don't think Bowen was defending him in any of those games, so as PJax would say, that streat gets a big fat * next to it.

slayermin
04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
This is not the same path we had in 2003->and the magic number for that road to 3rd title was 4-6. The 2005 title was so intense, heart-pounding I do not want to experience again esp the finals against the Pistons-7 games.

Like '05, I'm gonna just enjoy the ride because this one is going to be wild. I really don't care who we play. I just want it to get started already.

T Park
04-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah we thought the path to the ring in 05 was tough.

This year it would be just plain crazy.

anonymous coward
04-02-2007, 01:40 AM
it will be very close and long series. i like our chances.

in kobe and phil we trust.

silk
04-02-2007, 02:57 AM
please sequ just shut up, you are embarassing for all spurs fans when you talk like that to a poster like misszmyte...

johngateswhiteley
04-02-2007, 03:35 AM
stupidest thread ever. lakers have zero chance of beating the Spurs...

Man In Black
04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
So when is the 1st official week of playoffs?

Voice of Truth
04-02-2007, 12:35 PM
That will be the matchup. Not a good one for the Spurs. The Lakers are 2 and 1 against San Antonio with their only loss coming in overtime. What will happen to the Spurs if they lose in the first round? :wow :cuss :hang

Lakers in 6 and yes this forum will be on "suicide watch"

The Truth #6
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Pop has beaten Phil how many times? One? This would suck for a first round series. Pop's inability to adapt could haunt us. At the same time, if the system is working and everyone makes their outside shots we'll get by in 5. But I would much rather face someone else.

carib
04-02-2007, 04:00 PM
It's starting to look that way

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Pop has beaten Phil how many times? One? This would suck for a first round series. Pop's inability to adapt could haunt us. At the same time, if the system is working and everyone makes their outside shots we'll get by in 5. But I would much rather face someone else.

How long have you been watching basketball?

Pop beat Phil in
1998-1999 -- 4 game sweep
2002-2003 -- 4-2

mabber
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
So when is the 1st official week of playoffs?

Playoffs start April 21st or 22nd I believe.

Chris
04-02-2007, 04:33 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4774/sweepqk7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Cry Havoc
04-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Spurs in 5. We have problems with teams like the Lakers in the regular season -- not the playoffs.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
How long have you been watching basketball?

Pop beat Phil in
1998-1999 -- 4 game sweep
2002-2003 -- 4-2

are you fucking kidding me?

PJ didn't coach the 98-99 lakers team, even casual fans should know that

Pop has only beaten Phil ONCE

da_suns_fan__
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Lakers will force a seven game series...and then you guys can get a million gray hairs anticipating a game seven against Kobe Bryant like Suns fans had to do last year.

Your saving grace is that Kobe mails in his game seven performances.

smrattler
04-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't care if it's 4 or 6, as long as we advance. If it goes to a 7th game, that'll be too much excitment for a 1st round series for my liking.

But I think we control the series, Lakers maybe stealing a game or two. Reason will be TP. This will be his series to win for us.

SpursDynasty
04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Here's how I think the Lakers-Spurs series will go.

Games 1 and 2 will be dominating performances by the Spurs.....Games 3 and 4 will be in LA, and LA will get the opening tip, and make the opening shot of the game, firing up the crowd and hitting their shots all game..taking Games 3 and 4. The series will be tied at 2-2. Game 5 is expected to be a showdown, but isn't. The game is close through the first 3 quarters, but the Spurs pull away in the 4th.

Game 6 Spurs blowout, Spurs win 4-2.

Pretty much how every 6 game series between the Spurs and the underdog goes.

TheNextGen
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Lakers will be tough..we just dont match up well with them.

And Yes..Phil did not coach the in 99.

DarrinS
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Lakers will be tough..we just dont match up well with them.

And Yes..Phil did not coach the in 99.

Ok, I know. I know. I was this guy.

http://www.cccu.org/imgLib/20020912_DHarris_200x261.jpg

I've made this mistake a couple of times. Sue me.

TheNextGen
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM

LOL

mardigan
04-03-2007, 01:43 PM

No it was actually Kurt Rambis, but good try

Spurs in 5, the Kobes dont face a defender like Bruce everyday, he will slow up Kobe enough that the series isnt close

da_suns_fan__
04-03-2007, 01:59 PM
No it was actually Kurt Rambis, but good try

Spurs in 5, the Kobes dont face a defender like Bruce everyday, he will slow up Kobe enough that the series isnt close

You must have a time machine that will enable you to get the Bruce Bowen from 2003.

Medvedenko
04-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I can't wait....I hope we play you guys....man that would be fun.

mardigan
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
You must have a time machine that will enable you to get the Bruce Bowen from 2003.
No, wouldnt need one, he is still good enough to slow Kobe down, but you wouldnt know anything about defense being a Suns fan, now would you?

Borosai
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
James White!

da_suns_fan__
04-03-2007, 11:46 PM
No, wouldnt need one, he is still good enough to slow Kobe down, but you wouldnt know anything about defense being a Suns fan, now would you?

Actually, these days Raja Bell does a much better job on Kobe than Bruce Bowen.

efrem1
04-04-2007, 12:05 AM
With the nugs winning tonight maybe the Spurs-Lakers series might not be a lock after all.

milkyway21
04-04-2007, 03:31 AM
if we are seeded # 3 and take the Lakers, we'll face the winner between Houston & Utah in the 2nd round rather than Suns or Dallas, right?

Fine with me. Let us just enjoy watching those two(Suns & Dallas along with their fine owners Sarver & Cuban), battle each other for the WC finals. :D

it will take 6-7 games but we can beat the Lakers. I just want a Dallas/Suns match-up in the playoffs and see how they maintain their composure. Those two are the hungriest teams, IMO.

Spurs have won 3, current Detroit team w/ 1, Miami w/ 1. Lakers 3. :D

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 03:33 AM
if we are seeded # 3 and take the Lakers, we'll face the winner between Houston & Utah in the 2nd round rather than Suns or Dallas, right?

Fine with me. Let us just enjoy watching those two(Suns & Dallas along with their fine owners Sarver & Cuban), battle each other for the WC finals. :D

it will take 6-7 games but we can beat the Lakers. I just want a Dallas/Suns match-up in the playoffs and see how they maintain their composure. Those two are the hungriest teams, IMO.

Spurs have won 3, current Detroit team w/ 1, Miami w/ 1. Lakers 3. :D

lol

no

we'd face phoenix without hca

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 03:33 AM
Lakers in the first round is scary because Lamar is rebounding the hell out of the ball - averaging something like 14-15 rebounds in the last couple weeks.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 03:35 AM
my biggest worry about the LAL matchup is not so much lamar, or even kobe

it's phil jackson

there is no coach in the league who knows how to exploit another team's weakness better than PJ. Pushing the suns to 7 games last year was incredible.

So yeah, bring on the nuggets for the love of god

milkyway21
04-04-2007, 03:53 AM
lol

no

we'd face phoenix without hcasame in the yr 2005.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 04:03 AM
same in the yr 2005.

except

2005 spurs >>> 2007 spurs

and 2007 suns > 2005 suns

plus after goin through all that shit we get to face the best dallas team yet

Buddy Holly
04-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Pop has beaten Phil how many times? One?

And a Phil team beating a Pop team twice is all that more impressive? :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 04:33 AM
And a Phil team beating a Pop team twice is all that more impressive? :lol

uhhh

of the 4 times spurs and lakers have faced each other in the PJ era, PJ has 3 series wins to one (2001, 2002, 2004)

I'd say that's pretty damn impressive

Capt Bringdown
04-04-2007, 05:02 AM
there is no coach in the league who knows how to exploit another team's weakness better than PJ. Pushing the suns to 7 games last year was incredible.

I agree...
What, Pop might get out coached for the second straight year? :lol

Last year Pop had a crisis of confidence against Avery Johnson, scrapped Spurs ball and pulled small ball outta his ass.
What's he gonna do this year against PJ's master manipulations and Kobe's superhuman court histrionics?

Lakers are a nightmare first round matchup.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 05:11 AM
I agree...
What, Pop might get out coached for the second straight year? :lol

Last year Pop had a crisis of confidence against Avery Johnson, scrapped Spurs ball and pulled small ball outta his ass.
What's he gonna do this year against PJ's master manipulations and Kobe's superhuman court histrionics?

Lakers are a nightmare first round matchup.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll win the series, but with Pop's questionable coaching antics since the dallas series this year, and PJ's wacky psychological antics, this series is gonna be much much tougher than simply anticipating kobe going off for 40 points each game (yes, even with bowen on him).

Whereas, even though the nuggs have AI and Melo, I think Karl is too much of an idiot to get past rd 1 with this squad.

There's 1 1/2 game seperation between nuggs and lakers so lets see how this all folds out

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-04-2007, 05:31 AM
The Lakers are a tough matchup for us. I see us winning in 6 brutally see-sawing and heartwrenching games. Our only real edge over them is experience.

The entire road to the championship will be grinding this year, however far we go.

May the best team win... :toast ...and may we be the best team! :spin

PS Go Nuggets!

Testing
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Lakers would be a tough series...possibly 6 games. Not good if the Spurs have to play the Suns in the next round...they'll be tired while the Mavs will be rested after beating the Nuggets easily in 5. And don't even get me started on how easy the Mavs will have it the first round against the Clipps....easily a sweep.

Spurs really blew it when they lost to Indy on Sunday. They could have had that 2nd seed and a much easier time with the Nuggets as well as HCA against a much scarier Suns team than the one they faced in 2005. I don't see the Spurs getting past the Suns.

Oh and Bruce Bowen is a great defender...but with the way Kobe is playing this season, I think he'll have a very difficult time containing him. And Odom and Walton can be a handful. Spurs can beat the Lakers because they have 2 players who can completely exploit the Lakers with the current matchups; Lakers have no answer for Tony Parker or Tim Duncan.

Testing
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I've said it before...this is the Suns year to get to the Finals and possibly win it all. Spurs exit in the 2nd round...they have the talent, but I don't think Pop is doing a good job utilizing it this year as he has in years past.

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Lakers would be a tough series...possibly 6 games. Not good if the Spurs have to play the Suns in the next round...they'll be tired while the Mavs will be rested after beating the Nuggets easily in 5. And don't even get me started on how easy the Mavs will have it the first round against the Clipps....easily a sweep.

Spurs really blew it when they lost to Indy on Sunday. They could have had that 2nd seed and a much easier time with the Nuggets as well as HCA against a much scarier Suns team than the one they faced in 2005. I don't see the Spurs getting past the Suns.

Oh and Bruce Bowen is a great defender...but with the way Kobe is playing this season, I think he'll have a very difficult time containing him. And Odom and Walton can be a handful. Spurs can beat the Lakers because they have 2 players who can completely exploit the Lakers with the current matchups; Lakers have no answer for Tony Parker or Tim Duncan.

The Spurs threw the game at Indy because they want to play the Lakers.

At least I do.

I'd love to see Kobe crying on the bench again.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I think if and when San Antonio faces off with Kobe and the Zenmaster...

I'm probably gonna be holding my breath until the series is finished. That's how nervous Kobe and Phil make me.

Just because...they're 2/3rds of the team that abused Tim Duncan. Then again, Tim got his vindication.

So it'll kind of be preferred if we make Kobe and Phil cry again, which is still in our favor.

But yeah, I don't think you can fall asleep on this team. Who knows what the zenmaster could exploit from "stay the course", Pop.

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I think if and when San Antonio faces off with Kobe and the Zenmaster...

I'm probably gonna be holding my breath until the series is finished. That's how nervous Kobe and Phil make me.

Just because...they're 2/3rds of the team that abused Tim Duncan. Then again, Tim got his vindication.

So it'll kind of be preferred if we make Kobe and Phil cry again, which is still in our favor.

But yeah, I don't think you can fall asleep on this team. Who knows what the zenmaster could exploit from "stay the course", Pop.

Fellow Spurs fans. The Spurs big 3 are mightier than ONE Jordan wannabe. The rest of the Lakers are no match for the Spurs' supporting cast. Please don't give them more respect than they deserve.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Hell no I think the 05 Suns were much better than these Suns today.

LakeShow
04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Fellow Spurs fans. The Spurs big 3 are mightier than ONE Jordan wannabe. The rest of the Lakers are no match for the Spurs' supporting cast. Please don't give them more respect than they deserve.

More respect than they deserve? :lol You guys are so full of yourselves. The spurs do not match up to the lakers and Pop will have to go small. We all know how that works for you. Lakers can take the Spurs out in the first and that's not unrealistic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070404

Updated: April 4, 2007, 12:01 PM ETWho's the brightest darkhorse?By Greg Anthony
ESPN.com

Answering a few questions after the Denver Nuggets took a 111-105 win over the Los Angeles Lakers in a pairing of two teams that could stun the NBA by springing first-round playoff upsets . . .
Between the Nuggets and Lakers, which is the better dark horse candidate to upset a higher seed in the playoffs?

I would say the Lakers from this standpoint -- they have more of an identity. Phil Jackson's been back there for a few years now, the core of the team has been together and they forced a seventh game in last year's playoffs. And the bottom line is you have Kobe Bryant. As good as Allen Iverson is, he's not Kobe, who could end up averaging 45 for a series.

The Lakers are not doing themselves any favor holding on to the 6 spot and a date with the Spurs. Wouldn't the No. 7 spot now held by the Nuggets (vs. Suns) be more sensible?

No. The thing to remember about a young team like the Lakers is the more you win, the more confidence you have. It's more important for you to have that success then worry about winning matchups. The Lakers are not that good enough that they can fall into a lower seed and then expect to turn it on.

But wouldn't the Lakers have more to prove against the Suns, whom they took to seven games last year?

That also works to Phoenix's advantage. The Suns might not have taken them as seriously last year as they would this time around. From the Lakers' standpoint, you want to go back into the playoffs in a groove. With Lamar Odom back and Kwame Brown playing well -- now you're talking about a team that can be dangerous.

What do they need to improve on?

This is the one of the worst defensive jobs that I've seen a Phil Jackson team display. Sometimes a team thinks it's playing hard, and doesn't realize that it can be playing harder. But when the playoffs come, you know they're going to be playing better defensively because they'll have a chance to prepare.

Denver's staggering down the stretch, with a playoff spot not completely assured. What's its biggest problem?

They turn the ball over too much. People talk about an inability to defend, but it's the turnovers. I talked to George Karl the other day about this. We talked about how hard it is to be that good defensively when teams can get easy baskets off turnovers, and they come at inopportune times. And remember, this is a team working in new guards like Steve Blake, J.R. Smith and Iverson. That's a lot of new parts added to the fray.

Who would the Nuggets prefer, the Suns or Spurs?

A tough road either way, but at least with the Suns they don't have to impose their will to play uptempo. That's how Denver wants to play. I don't know if they have the discipline defensively to slow down Phoenix.

So the Lakers could get the Spurs. That's not easy.

San Antonio's the team I would be most leery of in the Western Conference. Dallas and Phoenix haven't won a championship. This team has. That means a lot. Francisco Elson and Fabricio Oberto have played well the past month, with great intangibles, not so much in things that show in the stats.

If either dark horse candidate, the Nuggets or Lakers, is playing well, we should put the brooms away, right?

Yes. If both teams come into the postseason focused both mentally and emotionally, they're going to make it difficult. Both are capable of winning at least two games in a series.

ESPN analyst Greg Anthony can be seen on NBA Shootaround Wednesday at 7 ET, before the ESPN doubleheader of Bulls/Pistons (7:30 ET) and Kings/Nuggets (10 ET). All questions above posed by ESPN.com editor Andrew Ayres.

boutons_
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Kobe hit 39, Lamar had a triple double, and Lakers lose, on the road, where they're only 15 -21.

LakeShow
04-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Kobe hit 39, Lamar had a triple double, and Lakers lose, on the road, where they're only 15 -21.

They lost their starting center last night also. He left early in the 2nd and never returned. Camby went nuts after that but the Lakers still almost pulled it out. He's important to the lakers to advance in the playoffs.

LakeShow
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
They lost their starting center last night also. He left early in the 2nd and never returned. Camby went nuts after that but the Lakers still almost pulled it out. He's important to the lakers to advance in the playoffs.

P.S. The spurs always brings out the best in the Lakers.

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 12:05 PM
P.S. The spurs always brings out the best in the Lakers.

I hope Kobe averages a ton of points. Let him get his and let the rest of those scrubs try to beat us.

LakeShow
04-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I hope Kobe averages a ton of points. Let him get his and let the rest of those scrubs try to beat us.

Not a bad stategy but Lamar would be the x-factor. If he is unstoppable, and all indications are that he will be against the spurs. That one scrub, along with our Bigs controlling the paint would be enough to take the series.

Jimcs50
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
All I know is that Manu will not get too close to Kobe on his jump shots.

:)

spursfan09
04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
haha laker fans think they have a chance. Thats funny.