PDA

View Full Version : Billy possibly in Fayetteville right now

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Information from an Arkansas source says he just landed in Fayetteville. There's supposed to be a press conference right now (11a.m.), so it maybe a bunch of bullshit. Earlier this morning one of the local radiostations, The Keg, reported a contract was already done.

I may kill myself.

leroyjenkins
03-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Shut up Doug Collins, keep your horrible lies to yourself. Billy is staying!!

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Just like Mike Bibby was staying at Arizona... my life is over.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Gillespie's agent supposedly was in Fayetteville on Friday and worked out a deal. But the university president is reluctant to let Heath go because of "diversity." Gillespie allegedly gave Arkansas until this afternoon to make up their minds, before he pulls his hat out of the ring and goes after the Kentucky and/or Michigan jobs.

(He will only stay at A&M if he misses out on all the high-profile jobs.)

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
This is comical. If you're getting the info. about Billy being there right now from the place I think you are, it's coming from an Aggie fan jacking with the Razorback posters.

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
The A&M Board of Regents is trying to make Billy put up or shut up. The are voting on a big contract extention with a big buy out.

j-6
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
I wonder if Gillispie is doing with Arkansas what I anticipate Billy Donovan will do with Kentucky - get your current school to match a deal that a once-mighty, slightly desperate hoops powerhouse will pay out in hopes of restoring glory.

What's A&M's athletic budget, $60 million?

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
This is comical. If you're getting the info. about Billy being there right now from the place I think you are, it's coming from an Aggie fan jacking with the Razorback posters.

From the radio? I think it's bullshit but im just passing along what I hear as someone who lives in the shitty state of Arkansas.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
From the radio? I think it's bullshit but im just passing along what I hear as someone who lives in the shitty state of Arkansas.

In a dry county, no less.

Kermit
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
why, oh why, is billy going from a&m to arkansas? isn't kentucky hiring?

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Arkansas fires Heap; eyeing Gillispie

Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
FOXSports.com
Posted: 3 minutes ago

According to sources within the University of Arkansas athletics program, men's basketball coach Stan Heap was fired Monday, FOXSports.com's Jeff Goodman reported.

Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie, according to sources, is front runner to replace Heath at Arkansas.
Gillispie has led Texas A&M to a 70-26 record over the past three seasons. The Aggies reached the second round of the NCAA tournament last year and were eliminated in the Sweet 16 this season.

In five seasons at Arkansas, Heath has led the Razorbacks to an 82-71 record. His team reached NCAA tournament last two seasons, losing in the first round both years.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Going to Arkansas doesn't make sense. We can pay him whatever they offer and can provide the facilities, especially since we already broke ground on the new practice facility. Kentucky would be a big step up in prestige, Arkansas is more of a horizontal move IMO.

j-6
03-26-2007, 02:22 PM
They updated your story, Captain.

Arkansas coach Stan Heath was fired this afternoon after leading his team to consecutive 20-win seasons and a berth in the NCAA tournament this season, according to sources close to the Razorbacks program.

Heath was informed by Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles just hours ago and will receive a setttlement in the vicinity of $1 million.

According to the same sources, Heath will likely be replaced by Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie. One source even maintained that Gillispie has agreed in principle and could be introduced as soon as Tuesday.

Gillispie has led Texas A&M to a 70-26 record over the past three seasons. The Aggies reached the second round of the NCAA tournament last year and were eliminated in the Sweet 16 this season.

Arkansas finished 21-14 this past season and returns nearly everyone while the Aggies lose Acie Law IV and potentially big man Joseph Jones.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Time to break out the razorblades and ice down the bathtub

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree, however, let's be honest about atm.

Billy just put together arguably the best season ever in atm history. He is losing his best player, a POY candidate. His success was largely off of players Melvin recruited. Next year atm will not be as successul as this year. i wouldn't go so far as to say 'this is it' for atm basketall, but it will never be better than this (in the near to immediate future). He can command any job he wants right now. He has come from no where to be near the top. If he has to endure a year where he is the 3 or 4 seed and a 1st or 2nd round loss, then his asking price will drop dramatically.

This is it for him. He goes for the money now or doesn't get it. Remember, arKy has a pretty decent, and fairly recurrent, basketball legacy. They have 6 Final Fours and a Championship (1995). Not UK by any means, but still some tradition and success; I would venture to say a team on the tier just below the 'Big 5' (UNC, UCLA, UK, Duke, KU).

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Damn, word is he's gone. :depressed

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree, however, let's be honest about atm.

Billy just put together arguably the best season ever in atm history. He is losing his best player, a POY candidate. His success was largely off of players Melvin recruited. Next year atm will not be as successul as this year. i wouldn't go so far as to say 'this is it' for atm basketall, but it will never be better than this (in the near to immediate future). He can command any job he wants right now. He has come from no where to be near the top. If he has to endure a year where he is the 3 or 4 seed and a 1st or 2nd round loss, then his asking price will drop dramatically.

This is it for him. He goes for the money now or doesn't get it. Remember, arKy has a pretty decent, and fairly recurrent, basketball legacy. They have 6 Final Fours and a Championship (1995). Not UK by any means, but still some tradition and success; I would venture to say a team on the tier just below the 'Big 5' (UNC, UCLA, UK, Duke, KU).

They wont be as good next year, but assuming Jones stays, the big players we lose are Acie and AK. We have D'Andre Jordan coming in a 5 star 7ft Center ranked 7th overall by rivals.com, if I remember correctly, in addition to a number of other good recruits. The starting lineup would still be formidable with Sloan starting and Kirk, Carter, and Jones retaining their roles. You add either Bryan Davis or Jordan to the starting lineup and that's good enough to have a competitive team. In my opinion good enough for at least 4th in the Big 12. I dont see how Arkansas would have a team substantially better than that if it's even better. The situation he has at A&M is pretty good looking into the future. Outside of past basketball successes Arkansas isn't that attractive. Plus, the fanbase and media here in Arkansas or so ridiculously obsessed with Razorback anything that I dont know if Billy is really the type of person that wants to live under that constant scrutiny. I guess we'll see...

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Damn, word is he's gone. :depressed

Prepare for Aggie fan backlash...

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Man, I was going to start a thread wanting people to praise Billy G so I could show it to them if and when he took the UK job. I love it how fans love someone til they decide to leave then turn on them, bringing up dirt.

I didn't have a clue he would be going somewhere else so soon.

j-6
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
I say the Aggie AD should call Ronnie Arrow in Corpus if Gillispie's really gone. People are going to suggest Chris Lowery or even the same Stan Heath that just got canned, but I think it's a better idea to get a Texan in there for recruiting purposes.

Most of us already know Arrow can coach.

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
With the last 2 years' success, atm could do MUCH better than Arrow.

tlongII
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhh......UNBEAVABLE!!!

A&M should have worked on a contract extension during the season. Jim is going to be pissed!

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
With the last 2 years' success, atm could do MUCH better than Arrow.

Too bad Winthrop just resigned their coach...damn

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Mike Brey time.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 02:59 PM
CaptMike - remind me... was Duke a big basketball program before Coach K? Silly me, I thought you could build a small program from the ground up. Sure, football will be #1 at every college in Texas, but there is more than enough talent and support here without needing that scrutiny in Fayetteville.

Hell, they throw everyone under the bus even after an SEC championship game appearence. A&M would give Fran a throne if he made it to Kansas City. Secondly, Billy and the team will still be loved even though they came up short in the Sweet 16. You don't build a program up by just being "1 and done" and the Aggie fans will never forget this. A&M throws everything they've got into a winner and all they want is that respect in return. Hell, they let Slocum fumble around for years before they went and got Fran.

j-6
03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Mike Brey time.

Mike Brey sucks. He'll park that hard-nosed style that Gillispie brought and proceed to teach your Aggies to live and die off the perimeter jumper and soft zone defense.

As a Longhorn, I won't mind too much, but it would be a shame to witness.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Nick Saban

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Mike Brey sucks. He'll park that hard-nosed style that Gillispie brought and proceed to teach your Aggies to live and die off the perimeter jumper and soft zone defense.

As a Longhorn, I won't mind too much, but it would be a shame to witness.

Dude - I agree. Tom Crean maybe... actually, Billy Donovan time.

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
CaptMike - remind me... was Duke a big basketball program before Coach K?

Ronnie, ronnie, ronnie... how many times are we going to tell you - check your facts before you flame.

Before Coack K, Duke had 4 Final Fours, including 2 Runner-ups. Vic Bubas coached in the 60s there and was extremely successful. He had 7 straight years being ranked in the Top 20, six in a row in the Top 10, 3 Final Fours and a Runner-up. Foster, the coach just before K, was in the Top 15 his last 3 years, going to the NCAA all three years, getting a Runner up and another Elite Eight. Also back in those days, there were another half a dozen NIT appearances. The NCAA used to only take the Conf winner in every conf, only allowing 24 teams in the Dance until the mid 70s.

Was Duke what it is now before Coach K? No. Was it pretty dern decent basketball school? Yes.

Check your facts.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, in that vein - I think it's time you include Arizona in your "Big 5" because Kansas is the most overrated one on that list... two championships all time?

And Lute Olsen brought that program from the ground up.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Ronnie, ronnie, ronnie... how many times are we going to tell you - check your facts before you flame.

Before Coack K, Duke had 4 Final Fours, including 2 Runner-ups. Vic Bubas coached in the 60s there and was extremely successful. He had 7 straight years being ranked in the Top 20, six in a row in the Top 10, 3 Final Fours and a Runner-up. Foster, the coach just before K, was in the Top 15 his last 3 years, going to the NCAA all three years, getting a Runner up and another Elite Eight. Also back in those days, there were another half a dozen NIT appearances. The NCAA used to only take the Conf winner in every conf, only allowing 24 teams in the Dance until the mid 70s.

Was Duke what it is now before Coach K? No. Was it pretty dern decent basketball school? Yes.

Check your facts.

That's why I asked you to remind me... I have actual work to do over here and I figured you'd get it all for me. I just want you to trace how venerable each team is in your "Big 5."

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok, in that vein - I think it's time you include Arizona in your "Big 5" because Kansas is the most overrated one on that list... two championships all time?

And Lute Olsen brought that program from the ground up.
The person who invented the game of basketball coached at Kansas. He also was the mentor of Phog Allen, who in turn was the mentor of Adolph Rupp and Dean Smith.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
The person who invented the game of basketball coached at Kansas. He also was the mentor of Phog Allen, who in turn was the mentor of Adolph Rupp and Dean Smith.

All leading to a long legacy of chokers and mediocre NBA stars... and Larry Brown

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
RonMexico's knowledge (or lack thereof) is indicative a little bit of why A&M is not going to get a top-flight coach to replace Gillespie, and why their next Sweet 16 trip won't come until the Aggies catch lightning in a bottle again in another quarter-century.

Texas A&M is not a basketball school.

This is why the Memphis loss was bitter -- A&M really was good enough to make the Final Four this year, but this was their only opportunity until I am close to retirement age.

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Zona was nothing before around the 70s. They had their 1st Sweet 16 in 76 (or 77?), their 1st Final Four in 1988. They have only had 4 Final Fours, and those all came in the 'Golden Years' of Zona ball from 1988 to 2001, including their 1 title.

If you are trying to ask why KU is and Zona isn't, KU has 12 or so FF dating back to the early 40s. KU has been, and will always be, on of the great powers in basketball. I hate KU so it pains me to say that, but honestly... Zona is no where near KU.

Not trying to pick on you here, but really, anyone who knows anything about college basketball will tell you KU belongs in the top tier of all schools, and Zona doesn't.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 03:28 PM
All leading to a long legacy of chokers and mediocre NBA stars... and Larry Brown
You're right... I can't think of any good players to come out of that North Carolina program.

MajorMike
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
That's why I asked you to remind me... I have actual work to do over here and I figured you'd get it all for me. I just want you to trace how venerable each team is in your "Big 5."

Its not checking facts... its common knowledge. Or at least it is to those of us who actually KNOW something about the subject.

BeerIsGood!
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
This really sucks. Big 12 basketball was just now getting to this great level because of Billy and AM. I thoroughly enjoyed watching many of the games this season because you knew they were going to be tough to the end and well played. I knew he would bolt at some point because the money and prestige would be too much to pass up, but I never thought it would be this soon. UK I could see, but Ark??

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
You're right... I can't think of any good players to come out of that North Carolina program.

I was talking about Kansas.... not UNC. I'm just saying that KU championship as coach really put Larry Brown in the "upper eschelon" of coaches.

Secondly, I hate Kansas so I will give them no respect because the basketball landscape is completely different than it was in the 40s or 50s. Guess what? In 1966, Texas Western started a line-up of 5 black guys! Did you know that?! Good lord - yes, when basketball was 30 years old as a sport, I hope the guy who invented it was able to build a nice program in Lawrence.

I just thought that Billy was more like Don Haskins than Nick Saban, Bear Bryant, or Dennis Franchione. I think "traditional" programs are a lot of BS at this point in time because the whole landscape is changing in college athletics (you know this first hand, CaptMike if OSU can get $250 million from one donor). You expect to see a Wooden-like dynasty ever again? Please. Also, the Big 10 is "traditionally good" but they got run off the field in Glendale playing that antiquated style of football.

I think Arizona is the perfect example of what I expected out of A&M with Billy G. Sure, basketball will never overtake football in Texas, but it can definitely share the glory because fans at A&M will support a winner no matter who they are.

I've had to grow up watching Arizona State get destroyed by U of A in basketball, but I've still grown to respect what Lute Olsen has done down there. And you know what? He's one of the most respected guys in the history of the game, the fans in Tucson are sure he can do no wrong, and they've produced some quality players from that program (even if they're not the most quailty people sometimes)... In fact, two of them have helped your favorite NBA team to titles - Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr anyone?

I wanted Billy to run a cleaner version of the Arizona program, but I guess that's not going to happen now. I just don't see Arkansas as a step up despite a single championship and 3,000,000 hot dogs ingested by Oliver Miller and Corliss Williamson. They have a rabid fan-base but I still think they're a 2nd-tier SEC experience. I guess the Shelby Metcalfs, Don Haskins, John Woodens, and Eddie Suttons of the world are long gone.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
I think Arizona is the perfect example of what I expected out of A&M with Billy G. Sure, basketball will never overtake football in Texas, but it can definitely share the glory because fans at A&M will support a winner no matter who they are.
The contrast between the reverence Tucson has for Olson, and what Gillespie got, is telling. Yeah, the students loved Gillespie. But Old Army does not give a crap about basketball; if anything, they resented his success because of the juxtaposition against the mediocrity of the football program.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
The contrast between the reverence Tucson has for Olson, and what Gillespie got, is telling. Yeah, the students loved Gillespie. But Old Army does not give a crap about basketball; if anything, they resented his success because of the juxtaposition against the mediocrity of the football program.

See, again - I think Old Army should have faded with Bonfire - they're both relics from an ealier time.

Great - we racked up a lot of SWC titles, but 1 Big 12 title isn't going to cut it.

Times are changing and a school with this fanbase should be able to support both programs. Just because most of them are stupid and "traditional" goes back to my main point: Bill Byrne can put 12th Man money wherever he wants and his dedication to winning by spending the money it takes has made me drop the "Dollar" Bill insult.

I guess Old Army would like it if we still had a 1-tier Kyle Field and no digital screen... if we want to win, we have to keep up. Reed Arena is a great facility and it's bigger than Cameron Indoor, so size should not be a factor there.

BeerIsGood!
03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
It doesn't matter who you are or where you coach - if you win enough for a few years the fans, boosters, benefactors, administration, etc. will get spoiled and begin to expect winning. UT basketball was crap (Tom Penders??) before Barnes arrived and recruited on a national level, but now do you think UT fans, etc. will accept the mediocre performances from pre-Barnes UT ball? If Gillespie would have gone on and won a few more years at AM the fans would come to expect winning and anything less would be unacceptable.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
You don't think that in 10 years, those same students (me) are going to be "Old Army"?

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
See, again - I think Old Army should have faded with Bonfire - they're both relics from an ealier time.
Sorry... College Station is an hour away from the Piney Woods of East Texas, a region known for being a haven for those who find northern Louisiana and Mississippi too cosmopolitan and forward-thinking.

There are a significant number of incoming students whose jaws drop when they get to Bryan-College Station because they've never seen such a huge city before.

1964 hasn't arrived yet east of Interstate 45.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
You don't think that in 10 years, those same students (me) are going to be "Old Army"?
You're from Arizona. Absolutely not.

leemajors
03-26-2007, 04:17 PM
It doesn't matter who you are or where you coach - if you win enough for a few years the fans, boosters, benefactors, administration, etc. will get spoiled and begin to expect winning. UT basketball was crap (Tom Penders??) before Barnes arrived and recruited on a national level, but now do you think UT fans, etc. will accept the mediocre performances from pre-Barnes UT ball? If Gillespie would have gone on and won a few more years at AM the fans would come to expect winning and anything less would be unacceptable.

penders was not without success, he got to the sweet sixteen once and the elite eight another time. before penders they were total crap. unfortunately he let athletes slide in the classroom and resigned. UH is doing much better with penders at the helm too. not the best coach, but a good one.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:17 PM
That's possible, but I think there are those of us who come from the 5th largest city in America and then think B/CS is podunk and should upgrade itself. I guarantee you President Gates thought and Bill Byrne still thinks the same way.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:18 PM
You're from Arizona. Absolutely not.

I don't know what you're implying. I graduated. I wear the ring. I do the yells. And I call our student fans idiots. What else is there to it?

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
That's possible, but I think there are those of us who come from the 5th largest city in America and then think B/CS is podunk and should upgrade itself. I guarantee you President Gates thought and Bill Byrne still thinks the same way.
But the "it" programs in college basketball are rooted in tradition, and here A&M's traditions actually serve as a disadvantage.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't know what you're implying. I graduated. I wear the ring. I do the yells. And I call our student fans idiots. What else is there to it?
How well have you been able to infiltrate the good ol' boy network of former students? Do they accept you as one of the boys?

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Well, you have a point - I just think those who put too much in "tradition" end up unable to accept that the ACC and Big 10 sucked this year and still give them 12 bids to the tourney... and see only 2 of those survive to the Sweet 16.

The landscape of college athletics implies that anyone, anywhere can make something happen because the talent level is so high and the alumni are spending in record numbers. Billy Packer is a relic and Boise State proved perhpas traditional conference thinking is as well. I just thought Billy was one of those guys who felt more about the people than about the dollar. Trust me, we all know Aggie fans and the Atheltic Dept will funnel as much money as it takes to keep A&M on the leading edge... but only if they feel that they'll get respect in return. Everyone would shower the athletic program with a ton of money in the coming years... however, you're correct that a lot of it hinges on the success of the football team and maybe Billy didn't want to wait around for Fran anymore.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:30 PM
How well have you been able to infiltrate the good ol' boy network of former students? Do they accept you as one of the boys?

Extremely well. Then again, that network will be my friends and I when I'm 34. I've spent plenty of time in the MSC and working with the Development committe to wrassle money away from the rich elders.

Probably not as well as a 5th generation Ag, but I embraced the culture and embrace network about as best as I can coming from the foreign nation of Phoenix.

So far for me - being one of the boys is knowing A&M tradition (check), drinking Shiner Bock (check), and ripping on coach Fran (check).

Mr. Body
03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, you have a point - I just think those who put too much in "tradition" end up unable to accept that the ACC and Big 10 sucked this year and still give them 12 bids to the tourney... and see only 2 of those survive to the Sweet 16.

Those Big 10 teams did well considering they mostly fell to the best teams in the tournament. Purdue to Florida, Indiana to UCLA, Michigan State to UNC. The only dud was Wisconsin, which was taking a dive the weeks before the tournament, anyway. It was a down year for the conference, but every single one of those lower seeds gave a fight to 2 Final Four teams and 1 Elite Eight team. So stop the hate.

Edited to add: Illinois did fall apart, but those other three lower seeds were close but ran out of steam.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I know they were close and it was a valient effort... it's more like the committe refused to believe that the ACC was marginal even though the regular season champ (Virginia) had an 11-7 conference record.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry... College Station is an hour away from the Piney Woods of East Texas, a region known for being a haven for those who find northern Louisiana and Mississippi too cosmopolitan and forward-thinking.

There are a significant number of incoming students whose jaws drop when they get to Bryan-College Station because they've never seen such a huge city before.

1964 hasn't arrived yet east of Interstate 45.

While those idiots still exist, most of our students do come from metropolitan areas and the reliance on traditions is beginning to diminish. As most students go from freshmen to seniors, their participation in traditional A&M culture lessens. I can remember being superfan69 when I was a freshman always doing the yells and all that other garbage, but as I got older I could really care less. With a more diverse (not from poodunk, TX) student body the need for a good ole boy system diminishes. Right now A&M is very much involved in sucking up to Old Army Boosters, but more and more young grads are donating money who dont care about Old Army. This new generation of booster recognizes the importance of other major sports outside of football and I think Bill Byrne has listened through his hirings of Billy and Gary Blair. The students care about basketball and I know that is not lost on the administration. Winning also made Older Ags comeback to the sport as I could tell from attending the games and seeing a large contingent of older Ags in attendance enjoying the games.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 05:04 PM
The most podunk major city I've ever seen in Houston with how they are about the Astros... it's ridiculous - they broadcast spring training games over the radio so we can hear Woody Williams gave up another 3 million runs.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
The most podunk major city I've ever seen in Houston with how they are about the Astros... it's ridiculous - they broadcast spring training games over the radio so we can hear Woody Williams gave up another 3 million runs.
I don't understand how that is podunk. By that definition, Chicago is a gas station and a trailer home in the middle of nowhere.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't understand how that is podunk. By that definition, Chicago is a gas station and a trailer home in the middle of nowhere.

Because it's all they ever talk about. At least a team from Chicago has won something. This franchise had to release an NLCS Championship DVD because it was the best thing they've produced aside from the Astrodome. We've won a World Series out in Arizona and there is not that kind of obsession with any of it - i.e. they don't cancel radio shows during the day to broadcast meaningless split squad games. They're mostly bandwagon fans pretending to be true baseball fans.

Perhaps it's because Spring Training is in Arizona and you can basically go see the D-Backs if you want, but those people in Chicago and Boston who care will pack up all their stuff and head on down to Florida.

I guess you haven't listened to the BS that Matt Schaub is now the best QB in the AFC and Jason Jennings will win 20 games this year because he's "always pitched well in Houston." Say what you want about people, but at least in Arizona and I'm sure in Chicago the sports guys have an idea what the word "objectivity" means.

leemajors
03-26-2007, 05:16 PM
ehh, houston's already lost one team. they'd hate to lose another.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Because it's all they ever talk about. At least a team from Chicago has won something. This franchise had to release an NLCS Championship DVD because it was the best thing they've produced aside from the Astrodome. We've won a World Series out in Arizona and there is not that kind of obsession with any of it - i.e. they don't cancel radio shows during the day to broadcast meaningless split squad games. They're mostly bandwagon fans pretending to be true baseball fans.

Perhaps it's because Spring Training is in Arizona and you can basically go see the D-Backs if you want, but those people in Chicago and Boston who care will pack up all their stuff and head on down to Florida.

I guess you haven't listened to the BS that Matt Schaub is now the best QB in the AFC and Jason Jennings will win 20 games this year because he's "always pitched well in Houston." Say what you want about people, but at least in Arizona and I'm sure in Chicago the sports guys have an idea what the word "objectivity" means.
Oh, I see, you're listening to John Granato on your way in to work, aren't you?

Or maybe Mark Vandermeer on the way home? Those are two of the most shameless, blow-sunshine-up-everybody's-butt homers on earth.

But no, actually caring about their baseball team, in spite of not winning, does not make Astros fans podunk. It means that, after decades of being typical Sunbelt bandwagonners, they actually are starting to turn into baseball fans.

But that has nothing to do with Billy Gillespie I guess.

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Coaching Arkansas basketball is the 2nd best job in the SEC. Few NCAA schools can compete with our facilities and basketball tradition meaning nobody is untouchable.

There has been confirmed rumors that a plan left for Searcy, Arkansas that was owned Arkansas boosters. Who was on it is a mystery and where exactly in Texas it came from is too because the rest is just speculation.

If anyone thinks Bill will not consider this job you are an idiot. Arkansas is now on the lookout for a BB coach and AD. Open market on the hill.... will attract big names.

I don't know what's going on, but Broyles has a big calling list and connections and probably has already talked to Bill Self (turned down) and Bill obviously.

Just don't be shocked if Bill jumps ship. Better facilities, arena and larger fan base cannot be overlooked.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Actually, it does because it's possible Billy is leaving because he's afraid our Aggie basketball fans will be equally bandwagon.

I don't even know who I listen to: I don't care about the Astros and I really don't like any of the guys that are on the radio here, but sometimes I get drawn into their BS on the way home from work... I do root for the Texans though, so sometimes I like to listen to the football debates... can't stand the homerism on the Rockets, though - and especially not any of the UT or A&M guys.

I don't know - I have yet to consider them legit fans based on the vast amount of them that came out of the woodwork. I could probably name more Astros players in 2005 than all those douches who ran out of their apartments screaming "Go 'Stros" when I was in College Station.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Coaching Texas A&M Basketball is the 2nd best job in the Big 12... mainly because no hot seat exists yet and everyone thinks you can outcoach your rival (Rick Barnes).

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
According to Arkansas Sports radio A&M is prepared to offer 10yrs 25 million. Arkansas doesn't want to pay that, but is hoping that the lure of being a god in one of the worst states in the union can hook'em. Apparently Stan Heath wouldn't have been fired unless they knew they had someone ready and that worries me. But the whole ideology that the University of Arkansas is 'god's gift to man' makes me sick. The facilities are a wash. Reed Arena is brand new and has received approval to be upgraded. The new practice facility has already broke ground, so if he's leaving it's because he wants to be king of the master race of rednecks. I swear every morning when I drive to work seeing HOGS!!!! on every license plate it makes me want to go on a shooting spree. Granted A&M has its fair share of this type of stupidity but nowhere near this magnitude. The only thing this entire state has is the damn Hogs. If Billy really wants to be a king amongst rednecked men, Arkansas is the place to be.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Well said, Doug Collins... you think A&M could lure you back into the coaching ring if necessary?

j-6
03-26-2007, 05:59 PM
According to Arkansas Sports radio A&M is prepared to offer 10yrs 25 million.

That's more than Tubby was making at UK (and more than Coach K, Pitino, or Donovan), or put another way, more than Franchione's current salary.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
That's more than Tubby was making at UK (and more than Coach K, Pitino, or Donovan), or put another way, more than Franchione's current salary.

Just passing on what was reported. And Billy is worth more than those 2 to A&M.

RonMexico
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe we could pay OJ Mayo to coach

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Just don't be shocked if Bill jumps ship. Better facilities, arena and larger fan base cannot be overlooked.

I hope you're not counting the millions of illegitimate children conceived daily in Arkansas. Just because redneck parents want to make baby's first onesy a razorback one, doesn't make said baby part of the fanbase. I've seen first hand the amount of children these people can pump out each time I go to Walmart in Bentonville, so if you count those babies than yes Arkansas has a larger fanbase. But if you count fans as a whole (older than 2 yrs old), I think more people have graduated from A&M than there are people in Arkansas. :elephant

But I think Billy is as good as gone :(

j-6
03-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Just passing on what was reported. And Billy is worth more than those 2 to A&M.

Speaking of twos, 2.5 million a year is more than Steve Alford plus Tubby Smith are earning a year from their new schools, New Mexico and Minnesota respectively.

samikeyp
03-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Coaching Texas A&M Basketball is the 2nd best job in the Big 12... mainly because no hot seat exists yet and everyone thinks you can outcoach your rival (Rick Barnes).

I don't think Gillespie can outcoach Barnes.

I know it. :)

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Speaking of twos, 2.5 million a year is more than Steve Alford plus Tubby Smith are earning a year from their new schools, New Mexico and Minnesota respectively.

I dont think you realize how desperate A&M is to have a winning anything. I mean, we keep paying Fran for nothing. Why not actually pay a coach who deserves it? We have the money to spend.

samikeyp

Aren't A&M's hoop facilities fairly new?

RonMexico
Well, j-6, I have a feeling that A&M thinks Billy can bring some glory to this program... and apparently, so does Arkansas. Just because Alford and Smith jumped ship for less pay and maybe a more inviting fanbase doesn't mean you have to rip on A&M and Gillespie and act like that's a ridiculous amount of money.

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
According to Arkansas Sports radio A&M is prepared to offer 10yrs 25 million. Arkansas doesn't want to pay that, but is hoping that the lure of being a god in one of the worst states in the union can hook'em. Apparently Stan Heath wouldn't have been fired unless they knew they had someone ready and that worries me. But the whole ideology that the University of Arkansas is 'god's gift to man' makes me sick. The facilities are a wash. Reed Arena is brand new and has received approval to be upgraded. The new practice facility has already broke ground, so if he's leaving it's because he wants to be king of the master race of rednecks. I swear every morning when I drive to work seeing HOGS!!!! on every license plate it makes me want to go on a shooting spree. Granted A&M has its fair share of this type of stupidity but nowhere near this magnitude. The only thing this entire state has is the damn Hogs. If Billy really wants to be a king amongst rednecked men, Arkansas is the place to be.

Man you have some sort of physco-babble mixed with deep love for ATM.

I won't go off on that simply because you seem to love your school like I mine and see your coach is being considered only you are close to the wrong scool. I would physco mute the world too..

Anyways. You have to understand Arkansas politics before you make rash judgements on it's school. No matter what magnititued your state is to us you can't base your facts off assumptions. This state is like one huge city. We have crackheads and crackhouses like everyone else but people here are true to their roots. Not like 'sippi where they bread with it. Johnny Cash said Arkansas is a family, and if you're not in it you don't get it (born here) but my point is we have a world dominating booster in Walmart, beautiful facilities, tradional deep rooted fans and loads of respect in the south. Only one things matters in this type of situation and that's A&M vs UA sports programs. History we have had more success in a wider span and both suffer from 2nd place diseases under Texas. We basically came from the same exsistance, fought many similiar wars on the field but we have more on the court, by far. And specifically Bud Walton Arena, 40 mintues of Hell, although dead still stand head and shoulders above anything A&M basketball has accomplished on the court. Point is you guys are good now, but haven't 'been there' before. We offer more of everything for the most part for Billy Gilly in the basketball ranks and no matter how corrups or biased our school is currently money talks louder than rumors and ultimately it doesn't matter what he chooses, it's the fact Arkansas does have the power to come in and take him.

From my perspective we will not get Bill. He is as subject as A&M basketball itself. The fans of their basketball program have been around how long? I mean I understand there's dedication but a lot of it might be a cover and bandwagon like in basketball since it hasn't exsisted long. Law should be in the NBA just like Brewer did, Johnson, Williamson, Moncrief, Brewer Sr. My thoughts are we can land a top name with what we offer no matter what.

People have to understand though right now, even names like Nolan Richardson and Roy Williams are rumored. The whole thing is ludacris and most of it is a laugh or a dream. Bill is something like the median, Arkansas is simply extended the tenticles it has in landing who they want cause ultimately, no matter what the majority of Arkansas fans want the university will get who THEY want, period. After Nolan, taking Heath was like a snap decision to me, he just put Kent State in the final four off of pure lucky March crap when he hadn't proven any consistancy at all. Given he is young and needs time we should have let him stay at Kent or whatever smaller school to build a better resume cause despite how good he talks and our recruiting classes kicking ass, he cannot bench coach. And that's what you're getting paid to do right?

Arkansas is indefinetly corrupt until Broyles is gone. Right now I think he is trying to produce a good thing for us by obviously talking to Bill about the job. Cause that has happened. Before Frank leaves on Dec. 31st and 50 years in cardinal red and white, he is leaving. He wants to do something good for us, and firing Heath was a start, and he will do everything he can to land a big time coach for us before he leaves to win back the fans. It has a good chance of not even happening, but he is trying at least. He could go further by firing Nutt but you don't mix stories like basketball in football, that's why there's different coaches and players obviously. Boosters are biased, they like who they like and sometimes not what the fans agree with either.

Right now anything is possible to be honest, you don't know what to expect from the UA right now other than traditionalism hahahahahaha til Frank is gone.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Brand new, with renovation plans already approved and a new $20 million practice facility that has already broke ground.

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Didn't mean ATM's sucked, just saying ours are better.

Like, my car is cooler than yours type thing. :spin

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Man you have some sort of physco-babble mixed with deep love for ATM.

I won't go off on that simply because you seem to love your school like I mine and see your coach is being considered only you are close to the wrong scool. I would physco mute the world too..

Anyways. You have to understand Arkansas politics before you make rash judgements on it's school. No matter what magnititued your state is to us you can't base your facts off assumptions. This state is like one huge city. We have crackheads and crackhouses like everyone else but people here are true to their roots. Not like 'sippi where they bread with it. Johnny Cash said Arkansas is a family, and if you're not in it you don't get it (born here) but my point is we have a world dominating booster in Walmart, beautiful facilities, tradional deep rooted fans and loads of respect in the south. Only one things matters in this type of situation and that's A&M vs UA sports programs. History we have had more success in a wider span and both suffer from 2nd place diseases under Texas. We basically came from the same exsistance, fought many similiar wars on the field but we have more on the court, by far. And specifically Bud Walton Arena, 40 mintues of Hell, although dead still stand head and shoulders above anything A&M basketball has accomplished on the court. Point is you guys are good now, but haven't 'been there' before. We offer more of everything for the most part for Billy Gilly in the basketball ranks and no matter how corrups or biased our school is currently money talks louder than rumors and ultimately it doesn't matter what he chooses, it's the fact Arkansas does have the power to come in and take him.

From my perspective we will not get Bill. He is as subject as A&M basketball itself. The fans of their basketball program have been around how long? I mean I understand there's dedication but a lot of it might be a cover and bandwagon like in basketball since it hasn't exsisted long. Law should be in the NBA just like Brewer did, Johnson, Williamson, Moncrief, Brewer Sr. My thoughts are we can land a top name with what we offer no matter what.

People have to understand though right now, even names like Nolan Richardson and Roy Williams are rumored. The whole thing is ludacris and most of it is a laugh or a dream. Bill is something like the median, Arkansas is simply extended the tenticles it has in landing who they want cause ultimately, no matter what the majority of Arkansas fans want the university will get who THEY want, period. After Nolan, taking Heath was like a snap decision to me, he just put Kent State in the final four off of pure lucky March crap when he hadn't proven any consistancy at all. Given he is young and needs time we should have let him stay at Kent or whatever smaller school to build a better resume cause despite how good he talks and our recruiting classes kicking ass, he cannot bench coach. And that's what you're getting paid to do right?

Arkansas is indefinetly corrupt until Broyles is gone. Right now I think he is trying to produce a good thing for us by obviously talking to Bill about the job. Cause that has happened. Before Frank leaves on Dec. 31st and 50 years in cardinal red and white, he is leaving. He wants to do something good for us, and firing Heath was a start, and he will do everything he can to land a big time coach for us before he leaves to win back the fans. It has a good chance of not even happening, but he is trying at least. He could go further by firing Nutt but you don't mix stories like basketball in football, that's why there's different coaches and players obviously. Boosters are biased, they like who they like and sometimes not what the fans agree with either.

Right now anything is possible to be honest, you don't know what to expect from the UA right now other than traditionalism hahahahahaha til Frank is gone.

I'm sorry the whole situation just pisses me off, and living here and hearing it 24/7 is making me go crazy.

I still cant stand the amount of pro-Razorback propaganda that proliferates this state.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Didn't mean ATM's sucked, just saying ours are better.

Like, my car is cooler than yours type thing. :spin

I love that the Waltons will build a basketball arena yet not provide their employees adequate health benefits.

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry the whole situation just pisses me off, and living here and hearing it 24/7 is making me go crazy.

I still cant stand the amount of pro-Razorback propaganda that proliferates this state.
I could talk about it all day haha. Hogs tradition is rich and deep. Right now half of UA fans are in 'fuckit' mode so try not to listen to our media, they're just as corrupt right now.

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I love that the Waltons will build a basketall arena yet not give their employees adequate health benefits.
yeah it's called big business, and 90% of them fuck you over. what's new? seems like employee's here are happy ironically :donkey

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I think no matter what happens Texas A&M Aggies .....

know that Arkansas Razorbacks' thank you. We are not looked at as Texas' bitch anymore. (even though you have beat them in fb/bb lately)

Doug Collins
I could talk about it all day haha. Hogs tradition is rich and deep. Right now half of UA fans are in 'fuckit' mode so try not to listen to our media, they're just as corrupt right now.

Whats with that Wally guy who writes for the Fayetteville paper? I've never seen a more biased sports journalist in my life. I almost wanted to write him when he was bitching about how Ark deserved to be in the tourney a couple weeks ago.

j-6
Well, j-6, I have a feeling that A&M thinks Billy can bring some glory to this program... and apparently, so does Arkansas. Just because Alford and Smith jumped ship for less pay and maybe a more inviting fanbase doesn't mean you have to rip on A&M and Gillespie and act like that's a ridiculous amount of money.

The only way A&M pays Gillispie that much money is to beat an Arkansas (or for all I fucking know, Kentucky) offer along the same lines. Why double the man's salary when a raise, some added incentives, and a visible commitment to the program will do?

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Whats with that Wally guy who writes for the Fayetteville paper? I've never seen a more biased sports journalist in my life. I almost wanted to write him when he was bitching about how Ark deserved to be in the tourney a couple weeks ago.
Wally Hall is a crazy man. He has seen it all at this school and switches sides all the time. He is hypocritical and a very stupid person in general. No real Hogs fan takes him seriously with praise or with insult.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Tubby was making 2.5 million a year, and with other perks it was north of 3 million per.

beachbarbie948
03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Well I keep hearing "insiders" saying BCG is going to Arkansas for sure.
Then I hear other "insiders" saying BCG is going to stay at A&M for sure.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Well I keep hearing "insiders" saying BCG is going to Arkansas for sure.
Then I hear other "insiders" saying BCG is going to stay at A&M for sure.

Basically no one knows. Check out the article that was just posted

beachbarbie948
03-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Basically no one knows. Check out the article that was just posted

ah ok thanks
if BCG leaves though
i might just jump off a bridge

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
One thing's for sure. He wasn't in Arkansas today. And neither was his agent.

Doug Collins
03-26-2007, 11:14 PM
One thing's for sure. He wasn't in Arkansas today. And neither was his agent.

Yeah. I just think this state (arkansas) is full of idiots.

RonMexico
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
HAHA - I'm slightly relieved and I want to laugh in Brutalis's face... but I guess that would make me too "arrogant" to believe he'd stay at A&M...

Brutalis
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
It's like this: If he leaves you shouldn't be surprised. If he stays, I won't be. Try to understand.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-27-2007, 08:50 PM
It's like this: If he leaves you shouldn't be surprised. If he stays, I won't be. Try to understand.

Way to go out on a limb.

MajorMike
03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
I have it figured out. Seriously.

Who is Arky's big rival? UK.

Who is UK going after? bcg

If they jump on board 1st and put out all kinds of silly poop about bcg, then atm will obviously step up even before it goes down with UK and make his package bigger.

Thus writes him out of the picture for UK and he will stay at atm.

This was all a ploy by arKy to keep bcg from going to UK.

j-6
03-27-2007, 09:43 PM
HAHA - I'm slightly relieved and I want to laugh in Brutalis's face... but I guess that would make me too "arrogant" to believe he'd stay at A&M...

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Gillispie should stay. From a legacy standpoint, wouldn't Billy rather establish a program where he created whatever expectations are there rahter than a bunch of artificially inflated ones brought on by a unforgiving fanbase?

When (and if, you overzealous Ags) Gillispie reaches the Elite Eight or the Final Four while coaching the Aggies, it will mean something. Arkansas has witnessed that kind of success and feels entitled to more of it. It's not fair, but watch what a meltdown this place would turn into if the Spurs tanked against some random skidmark int he NBA's opening round of the playoffs.

They'd be calling for his head in Fayetteville if he managed to bring his team into the tournament the last two years and lost twice in the first round. The Ags could lose in the first round the next two seasons and the powers that be in College Station would still forgive him.

Fuck it, I'd stay put.

RonMexico
03-27-2007, 10:05 PM
The more I think about it, the more I believe that Gillispie should stay. From a legacy standpoint, wouldn't Billy rather establish a program where he created whatever expectations are there rahter than a bunch of artificially inflated ones brought on by a unforgiving fanbase?

When (and if, you overzealous Ags) Gillispie reaches the Elite Eight or the Final Four while coaching the Aggies, it will mean something. Arkansas has witnessed that kind of success and feels entitled to more of it. It's not fair, but watch what a meltdown this place would turn into if the Spurs tanked against some random skidmark int he NBA's opening round of the playoffs.

They'd be calling for his head in Fayetteville if he managed to bring his team into the tournament the last two years and lost twice in the first round. The Ags could lose in the first round the next two seasons and the powers that be in College Station would still forgive him.

Fuck it, I'd stay put.

Exactly, you said it perfectly. Not only that, I think he really believes in his kids (or at least I hope he does) and he'd want to go down as a Lute Olsen type of coach... a guy who built a program from the ground up and has done so by grabbing guys who weren't all 4-and-5 star recruits, but guys whose heart, determination, and will mirror his own.

Bottom line: Acie Law is an outstanding talent and a great guy, but Billy Gillispie turned him into an All-American. Look at that AA list from this year and you have 2 of the most hyped freshmen of all time (Durant and Oden), two guys who were probably 4 star recruits at least (Afflalo and Tucker), and then the wiry guy with a weird shot from Dallas (a 3-star recruit, btw).

samikeyp
03-27-2007, 10:35 PM

Fuck it, I'd stay put.

Agreed....plus he would have to live in Arkansas.... :(

:p:

ManuMagic
03-28-2007, 02:03 AM
The Ags could lose in the first round the next two seasons and the powers that be in College Station would still forgive him.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They are getting a taste now, and are slowly building an expectation as well. Don't underestimate how quickly a fanbase can become spoiled.

RonMexico
03-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. They are getting a taste now, and are slowly building an expectation as well. Don't underestimate how quickly a fanbase can become spoiled.

Well, not exactly... while a lot of us thought this year's team had Final 4 potential (and hell, they outplayed Memphis for 39 mins of that game), in no way do we think they "underachieved." They came up short and this will go down as one of the greatest and best-loved teams in A&M history. We won't be satisfied with first round exits for multiple years, but we won't be calling for BCG's head either.

Doug Collins
03-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Agreed....plus he would have to live in Arkansas.... :(

:p:

I live in Arkansas...and it sucks.