PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas searching for BB coach thread...

Brutalis
03-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Will it be Gillispie? Would Self consider? Right now it seems Arkansas is focused on these two guys before they begin the big search. Doug Gottlieb from ESPN said it's a 10 top coaching job in college.. facilities and fanbase as a backbone weakening? What coach could save Razorback BB?

samikeyp
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
They can have Rick Barnes. :lol

johngateswhiteley
03-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Arkansas is a step down in program...Gillispie isn't going anywhere. i don't know why people keep talking about it.

leemajors
03-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Arkansas is a step down in program...Gillispie isn't going anywhere. i don't know why people keep talking about it.

i wouldn't rest easy quite yet. arkansas may be a lateral move, but it's sure as hell not a step down in terms of basketball schools.

johngateswhiteley
03-27-2007, 12:18 AM
i wouldn't rest easy quite yet. arkansas may be a lateral move, but it's sure as hell not a step down in terms of basketball schools.

i was baiting brutalis, i know arky has better history in bball than us. but, Gillispie isn't going anywhere...Texas is his state for recruiting, he isn't going anywhere. watch...

MajorMike
03-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Look at that objectively... it is right next to tejas, he can keep his ties in state, join a league that most see as 2nd to the ACC in basketball, not have he extreme pressure of a UK and yet go to a school that has some semblance of history and tradition in basketball.

I personally think its silly as well, but I thought Fran from Bama to atm was just was silly.

Doug Collins
03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Look at that objectively... it is right next to tejas, he can keep his ties in state, join a league that most see as 2nd to the ACC in basketball, not have he extreme pressure of a UK and yet go to a school that has some semblance of history and tradition in basketball.

I personally think its silly as well, but I thought Fran from Bama to atm was just was silly.

That's what worries me, he could keep his Texas ties while still being out of state. Hopefully we lock him up in the next couple of days.

Brutalis
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
That's what worries me, he could keep his Texas ties while still being out of state. Hopefully we lock him up in the next couple of days.
I'm almost sure you have nothing to worry about.

Doug Collins
03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Arkansas 1190 radio wants Rick Majerus as coach. "If it took not getting Gillispie to get Majerus, I say do it." Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Too bad Majerus is liable to die on court and is a noted stress eater. I'm sure he would work out great!

leemajors
03-29-2007, 08:23 AM
majerus is a good coach, but i don't see how anyone could want him after he bailed on USC. i guess he is already a hog though, might be a good fit.

MajorMike
03-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Will it be Gillispie? Would Self consider? Right now it seems Arkansas is focused on these two guys before they begin the big search. Doug Gottlieb from ESPN said it's a 10 top coaching job in college.. facilities and fanbase as a backbone weakening? What coach could save Razorback BB?

Back to the original post. Self would never ever consider leaving KU to go to arK. In no way baggin' on arKy, but he isn't going to leave KU until they make him leave. The only job he would have liked before the KU job was at OSU, but he knew with Sean on the bench he would never get that job, and now he wouldn't even go back to OSU from KU. OSU and arKy are good programs, in the Top 20 to be sure. KU is simply top shelf.

MajorMike
03-29-2007, 08:47 AM
By the way, does anyone realize Self has NEVER been to the Final Four?

Doug Collins
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM

I know I have. Mind blowing considering the talent he has recruited.

Doug Collins
03-29-2007, 08:56 AM
majerus is a good coach, but i don't see how anyone could want him after he bailed on USC. i guess he is already a hog though, might be a good fit.

Good Coach, but his health caused him to bail on USC and I dont see anything that seems to point that his health is improving. Getting back into the stresses of college ball would kill him.

K-State Spur
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Self told the KC media the other day that Arkansas is a good job, but KU is a very good job.

RonMexico
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Um, yes - I've called him the most overrated coach of his generation and I hope this ineptitude hasn't rubbed off on Gillispie... I'll never pick KU to go deep in the tournament with him at the helm and I had UCLA in the final 4 over them... worked out well for me.

MajorMike
03-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Um, yes - I've called him the most overrated coach of his generation

We agree for a change. I've often called him the Fran of basketball - good recruiter who moves to a good situation, milks it dry, then moves on. Good recruiter, average coach.

Doug Collins
03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
We agree for a change. I've often called him the Fran of basketball - good recruiter who moves to a good situation, milks it dry, then moves on. Good recruiter, average coach.

This might be the end of the message board

MajorMike
03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
rpi

K-State Spur
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Um, yes - I've called him the most overrated coach of his generation and I hope this ineptitude hasn't rubbed off on Gillispie... I'll never pick KU to go deep in the tournament with him at the helm and I had UCLA in the final 4 over them... worked out well for me.

I don't know. The dude got Tulsa to an elite 8 (and Illinois for that matter) and it was his players who dominated the team that Bruce Weber (who I do think is a mediocre coach) took the final game.

The guy can flat out recruit and while his x's and o's aren't great, they are good enough that he'll get a couple of final fours before it's all said and done.

Let's be honest here, if UCLA had won one more game in their conference tourney, they would have been the #1 seed in the west and the Squawks would have been the 2.

The conference doesn't do KU any favors in the tournament by doing too many favors for them in conference play. If a Big 12 team sneazes in KU's direction, the Jayhawks go to the line, but UCLA (and SIU) was allowed to bump and push like good physical teams do.

Jimcs50
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
March 28, 2007
A deal for Gillispie on the table
Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie does have a deal on the table that will keep him at A&M through 2012 and will pay him roughly $2 million annually. But the contract must be approved by the Texas A&M Systems Board of Regents then signed by Gillispie.

• • •

The trick will be keeping the vultures away and beginning contruction on the new basketball practice facility in the meantime. Construction on the new facility will begin Monday, according to officials close to the situation, just in time for Gillispie to return from Atlanta to sign his new deal.

• • •

This seems to ward off overtures from Arkansas, whose athletic director Frank Broyles confirmed he had made an offer to a coach, and maybe others. But remember a deal is not a deal until it's signed. The contract isn't likely to be rubber stamped by the Regents until Friday and Gillispie is not scheduled to return from the Final Four until Monday.

• • •

As we know in this high-stakes poker game, that's a lifetime, between now and Monday, and so much can happen. So hold on for a fun ride.

johngateswhiteley
03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
who would want to coach arkansas anyway?

Kermit
03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
i'll do it, but i'm not promising anything over a 2-32 record.

Brutalis
03-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Self told the KC media the other day that Arkansas is a good job, but KU is a very good job.

Yeah Self is a good guy, great coach and basically told us thanks, but no thanks. Expected.

Apparently JFB didn't even talk to BG. UA contacted his agent but it never went further to speaking to Billy himself before he reupped his stay at aTm. Not surprised. His agent did however take an offer maybe to scare the admin?

Well, that's all I have to say for now.

Brutalis
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
who would want to coach arkansas anyway?
Then you have to go and post stupid shit to make yourself look dumb.

:rolleyes

johngateswhiteley
03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Then you have to go and post stupid shit to make yourself look dumb.

:rolleyes

except its true. why would anybody want to coach @ arkansas?

leemajors
03-29-2007, 05:23 PM

why would anyone have wanted to go to a&m a few years ago? arkansas has had a good program before, they'll land a good coach.

MajorMike
03-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Perhaps because they have tradition, a huge fanbase, a big new arena, the state to themselves, etc. 4 years ago not a HC in the nation wanted to come to atm, so they had to hire an assistant.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
4 years ago not a HC in the nation wanted to come to atm, so they had to hire an assistant.

Which is why they hired the head coach from UTEP. Dumbass.

Doug Collins
03-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Pwn3d...Rpi

MajorMike
03-29-2007, 09:44 PM

4 years ago?

Doug Collins
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
4 years ago?

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...that looks like 4 years to me, but for you I'll convert it to 4-decimal places: 4.000 years

Rpi

RonMexico
03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Yes, CaptMike... in fact, BCG was in his 2nd year as head coach at UTEP... he's the only coach in NCAA history to lead the 2 different teams to the "best turnaround" in consecutive years - UTEP from 7-22 to a 20-win team and A&M from 7-21 to a 21-10 team.

MajorMike
03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...that looks like 4 years to me, but for you I'll convert it to 4-decimal places: 4.000 years

Rpi

Maaaaath.
Mar 04 to Mar 07 is 3 years.

Just making fun of you and proving a point to my aggrot alum co-worker.

1) How easy it is to bait you
2) How you aggrots would rather prove me wrong than be right

He says ya'll are the idiot 5% of any fanbase and most likely didn't go to school there anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Maaaaath.

He says ya'll are the idiot 5% of any fanbase and most likely didn't go to school there anyway.

I haven't seen you prove any point other than that you don't know what you are talking about.

Both Melvin Watkins and Gillispie were head coaches at their respective schools when hired ago.

LOL at you trying to turn this into a 'I said four years ago' thing. I thought you were talking about Billy and just too ignorant to know how long he had been here, but it's a nice way to deflect from the fact you had no clue Billy was the head coach at UTEP.

No baiting, we're talking hoops, just can't help it you don't know jack about things. I guess the last comment about us not really going to school there is an attempt at more 'baiting'. :rolleyes

Personally I think you're an idiot. If you really are trying to troll/bait, that's some pretty weak trolling.

RonMexico
03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes, it is pretty weak. I guess your co-worker is a term we use for 2% of the population.

I highly doubt you went to OSU... mainly because you actualy know how to use a computer, which would indicate a higher education level than Stillwater C.C.

Doug Collins
03-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Maaaaath.

Ooops you got me. My mistake. Your post has now proven that:

1) You have no life. Your worthless existence is centered around the everyday happenings of a message board (at least it's a good message board).
2)You so are obsessed with me and my fellow Aggie posters, that you would actually premeditate and lay a "digital trap" to try to show how much better you are than us over the internet.
3)You call your clan members in the World of Warcraft "co-workers".
4)You are trying to lure your "co-workers" into joining the offline sensation that is your pathetic life.
5)My math skills need improvement.

I guess you win...

Brutalis
03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Talking about having to goto school there present or past to be a 'true' fan makes all of you stupid on that account.

But the gay cowboy not only baited you, he threw that weak shit back too.

Brutalis
03-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Back to the FUCKING THREAD..

UA plane was in Baton Rouge today. FUCK NOT BRADY. I will be so pissed.

UA runs like the Spurs in this sense: You never know what the fuck is really going on or even a heads up before it happens. CIA shit goin on.

50 cent
03-30-2007, 11:33 PM

UA runs like the Spurs in this sense: You never know what the fuck is really going on or even a heads up before it happens. CIA shit goin on.
Except Frank is no CIA, he's an idiot that is offering the job to coaches right and left and getting turned down. He's fucking clueless.

BCG
Self
Kruger
Sutton

Who else is going to turn the piggies down?

:lmao

Brutalis
03-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Except Frank is no CIA, he's an idiot that is offering the job to coaches right and left and getting turned down. He's fucking clueless.

BCG
Self
Kruger
Sutton

Who else is going to turn the piggies down?

:lmao

FB hasn't made an offer to any coach. He is simply trying to draw out who is interested.

Self was a no shot.
BCG never spoke to FB to begin with, stoked the idea of leaving for Arkansas to get a raise, smart man
Kruger Arkansas fans will not go for thus Frank will not go there because right now fans are not to be messed with heh
Sutton? He made his career at Arkansas and forever was at OSU living in the Hogs shadow. He isn't coming back. If you're talking about his son that's not happening either.

Brutalis
03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Broyles was in Atlanta yesterday and came back this morning to Fayetteville.

Dunno why..

Brutalis
03-31-2007, 12:50 PM
These names have been rumored just to show you how far and between FB is going..

Doc Sadler -------- LMAO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Mike Anderson
Anthony Grant
John Brady
VCU's head coach I forgot his name

just to name a few.

I will never forget Sadler going on about 'eye of the tiger' in the Mizz locker room at halftime. Serious fucking crackhead right there.

Doug Collins
03-31-2007, 03:35 PM
These names have been rumored just to show you how far and between FB is going..

Doc Sadler -------- LMAO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Mike Anderson
Anthony Grant
John Brady
VCU's head coach I forgot his name

just to name a few.

I will never forget Sadler going on about 'eye of the tiger' in the Mizz locker room at halftime. Serious fucking crackhead right there.

John Brady would be terrible, that guy screams used car salesman. Go for PJ Carlisimo that would be awesome :elephant

MajorMike
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
FB hasn't made an offer to any coach. He is simply trying to draw out who is interested.

Self was a no shot.
BCG never spoke to FB to begin with, stoked the idea of leaving for Arkansas to get a raise, smart man
Kruger Arkansas fans will not go for thus Frank will not go there because right now fans are not to be messed with heh
Sutton? He made his career at Arkansas and forever was at OSU living in the Hogs shadow. He isn't coming back. If you're talking about his son that's not happening either.

The Sutton being mentioned for the arKy job is Scott, not Sean or Eddie. Scott is the ORU coach and has taken them to the NCAA the last 2 years.

Who knows? Self started at ORU after graduating from OSU.

Doug Collins
04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
The Sutton being mentioned for the arKy job is Scott, not Sean or Eddie. Scott is the ORU coach and has taken them to the NCAA the last 2 years.

Who knows? Self started at ORU after graduating from OSU.

Is Scott older or younger than Sean?

MajorMike
04-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Younger.

Brutalis
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Fucking God Damnit Frank Fucking Broyles

Brutalis
04-07-2007, 05:50 PM
**UPDATE***

An offer for Calipari is on the table, he has until Monday night to make his decision.
Cal coach Braun I believe it is, wants the job and is awaiting Arkansas to respond, and he is trying to get his assistant into another assitant job at UNC.

Only other name in the real running is Mike Anderson from Mizz. who was an assistant under Nolan Richardson for years.

TheTruth
04-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Pelphrey was the best they could do?

Bandwagon Bill
04-09-2007, 08:26 AM
South Alabama coach John Pelphrey. :lmao

TheTruth
04-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Shit, even my team Colorado signed a better coach.

MajorMike
04-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow.

Brutalis
04-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Obviously B12 fans don't know him but he was a stud player at Kentucky, coached under Donovan at MSU and then Florida for 8 years, took a nobody USA team to the NIT, then NCAA this year.

i made a topic

j-6
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Obviously B12 fans don't know him but he was a stud player at Kentucky, coached under Donovan at MSU and then Florida for 8 years, took a nobody USA team to the NIT, then NCAA this year.

i made a topic

South Alabama didn't make the NCAA's this year. That was the first team Florida beat in the '06 tourney.

50 cent
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Is this Arkie's 72nd or 73rd choice?

MajorMike
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Why don't you focus on what's going on in the cult of bryan instead of getting a hard on for every other university out there?

50 cent
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I was being serious.

Doug Collins
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Why don't you focus on what's going on in the cult of bryan instead of getting a hard on for every other university out there?

He may not have been 72 or 73 but he was at least in the double digits as far as preference probably somewhere around 30th...

GO POKES! :elephant :toast

RonMexico
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
He may not have been 72 or 73 but he was at least in the double digits as far as preference probably somewhere around 30th...

GO POKES! :elephant :toast

"Making students out of athletes, one 'Best Buy of Oklahoma' at a time."

Brutalis
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
South Alabama didn't make the NCAA's this year. That was the first team Florida beat in the '06 tourney.
Thanks, I got it mixed up.

Brutalis
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Look, Arkansas and the fans make no defense about it. Shit is sour right now and it's the power within's fault in JFB and his ole' bitch, Houston Nutt. JFB wants us to think that hiring JP, or DA before that is plucking young talented coaches ready to build some resume' when really he just don't want anyone to over-shadow Houston.

It's bullshit, sort of like our government and president. That's how JFB and Nutt are. It was ignorant to not hire a searching firm like Minny did and they fuckin' got Tubby. I can go on and on about the UA politics. All I know it's corrupted yet our programs still carry tradition than a two thirds of all schools.