PDA

View Full Version : Parker has lost all confidence in his shot.

TwoHandJam
11-18-2004, 09:27 PM
This is bad. 2 shots in 30 minutes?

ShoogarBear
11-18-2004, 09:28 PM
On that wide-open 3 pointer miss, you could see him thinking the whole way through.

Dex
11-18-2004, 09:28 PM
It took him like 5 seconds to hoist that last one up, too. He's concentrating way too much on it at this point. Parker was always at his best when he was taking that quick little jump-shot.

SequSpur
11-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Shutdown mode in effect already? Maybe thats a good sign.

JsnSA
11-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Yeah....I am not so worried about his outside shot...but I miss that little floater he had.

Guru of Nothing
11-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Thank God it's November.

LakerGod
11-18-2004, 09:42 PM
I guess the 66 Million Dollar kid is paying off, right?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-18-2004, 09:42 PM
I guess the 66 Million Dollar kid is paying off, right?

Thank God it's November.

TwoHandJam
11-18-2004, 10:03 PM
He's got to keep shooting if he wants to snap out of it. You don't get out of a shooting slump by not shooting. I didn't like what I saw from him tonight but I'm sure Pop will be on his case. I don't understand how he went from a good game previously to this.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-18-2004, 10:04 PM
this is horrible, now if parker sucks for the rest of his career we cant trade him.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Can anyone say Malik Rose?

timvp
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
To his credit, he did an awesome job on Allen Iverson. Iverson against Beno was a joke. Parker gave it his all defensively ... and finished with eight boards, six assists and three steals.

Of course he'll need to start shooting and scoring more, but this is the best two game stretch of defense in Parker's career.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
He ended up with 6 boards and 8 assists or vice versa. Spurs could have used the scoring but Philly was trying hard to keep him out of the paint.

blackbucket
11-18-2004, 10:08 PM
We all know the problem with Tony is his tendency to be inconsistent. So far, he hasn't overcome this.

squallspurs4ever
11-18-2004, 10:10 PM
dont worry just be happy
spurs have won without a tonytruant parker...but he is going better than ever...remember that in june when we will win another title!

go spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guru of Nothing
11-18-2004, 10:15 PM
this is horrible, now if parker sucks for the rest of his career we cant trade him.

You can't trade a player once their career is over.

Please, no Charles Smith references.

ShoogarBear
11-18-2004, 10:16 PM
You can't trade a player once their career is over.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/ferry-shot.jpg

Guru of Nothing
11-18-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm busted.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Maybe, just maybe, we'll think about doing some isos/clear outs (you could even combine them with a pick and roll) to get Parker the ball going to the bucket with some space.

When a guy's slumping, you get him some easy ones to get his confidence back. Seeing the ball fall through the net works wonders, even if it's a layup.

whottt
11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
LMAO that was a funny exchange between Shoogar and Gon.

But seriously...people need to not get worked up about Parker...if you don't look at his scoring he had a nice game...and that's unsual for him to do.....and it was probably the best 2 game stretch of D in his entire career...

Would you rather Parker have been 8-24 with 4 assists like AI?

Drawing AI and Starbury on consecutive games and ding up on both of them is a new thing for Parker...his D was key in beating both of these traditional Spur killers....

Don't sweat the scoring...it is the strongest part of his game and he has been able to do it since he was 19...focus on the fact that he scored no points, reaally didn't look to score, wasn't really that he sucked... but still found a way to contribute....That's something we haven't seen from Parker and it shows maturity...he could have just chunked up junk all night, gotten into a pissing contest with AI, and we lose and everyone is pissed......but he went to his teamates instead, came up with some big boards, a few assists, and some defensive stops...That 3 was only like his second shot of the game...most players would be rusty.

Anyway, his performance wasn't that bad and if all we have to worry about is his scoring I think we'll be fine.

Nikos
11-18-2004, 10:26 PM
To his credit, he did an awesome job on Allen Iverson. Iverson against Beno was a joke. Parker gave it his all defensively ... and finished with eight boards, six assists and three steals.

True.

As for Beno, yeah thats a tough matchup. But didn't he get a block on Ivy? :lol Better than nothing.

ducks
11-18-2004, 10:45 PM
did you listen to the call in on 1200

alot of people were proud of tp

he did what pop wanted him to do

I doubt pop wanted him to be agressive scorring

he would have been benched if he was not going what pop wanted

Nikos
11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
ducks
vBookie King

How did that happen :lol?

ducks
11-18-2004, 10:50 PM
parker was awesome tonight
played a hell of a game
did what was asked of him even if it meant not getting points to go to all star game

I should really go to vegas

grjr
11-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Tony WAS benched a lot earlier than usual in the 3rd quarter tonight.

Beno is definately not getting any love from the refs so far. Ticky tack fouls and a bogus travelling charge tonght.

Solid D
11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Tony had 4 personals. Pop saved him until the 4th. Most of TPs minutes came in the 1st and 4th quarters. The Spurs outscored the Sixers 20-6 in the 1st and 33-21 in the 4th....coincidence? I think not.

ShoogarBear
11-18-2004, 11:29 PM
I usually find +/- to be overrated, but I will be very interested in seeing the +/- for this game, given its schizophrenic nature.

baseline bum
11-18-2004, 11:35 PM
LG, how's Briant Grant and his remaining $45 millon doing?

That will never not be funny that the Lakers traded their best player since Magic and had to take the Rastafailure's ridiculous contract back in return. :lmao

timvp
11-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Parker just needs one three-pointer to drop for his overall confidence to rise. He'll always be a streak shooter (like Manu), but once he gets going .... it usually lasts a good set of games.

xcoriate
11-19-2004, 05:27 AM
I was pretty sure he was set after the Knicks, he outplayed Marbury. He'll get it going.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Okay, why is eight games enough to say that Manu should "definitely" be an All-Star, but not enough to say that TP has been mediocre (to be extremely generous)?

Only blind homers can have it both ways.

xcoriate
11-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Fair point, Shoogar. However I sincerely think Parker will kick it up a notch and whilst Manu has already regressed a bit I believe this current level will be his par for a while, with some games going poorly with some brilliant ones in between.

TwoHandJam
11-19-2004, 09:37 AM
focus on the fact that he scored no points, reaally didn't look to score, wasn't really that he sucked... but still found a way to contribute....That's something we haven't seen from Parker and it shows maturityPoint taken. I do think Parker showed the ability to be useful last night even when not scoring and that is new for him, which is good. Also, his D has been very good these past two games given the tough matchups (AI and Starbury).

However, I'm very surprised that he didn't look to score last night given that he is probably our most talented scorer after Tim when he penetrates. We really needed to put points on the board last night and Parker is a better scorer than a distributer. If he did indeed get instructed by Pop to try and distribute instead of scoring, then I guess last night can be overlooked but it would surprise me if Pop would forego Tony's natural ability to get to the rim.

Anyhow, we came up with the win last night on the road in a city where we hadn't won in 4 years. And all this on a night when one of our main scorers didn't even put a point up on the board. For that to happen, especially this early in the season is a testament to the potential of this team.

Good times. :)

bigzak25
11-19-2004, 09:53 AM
and finished with eight boards, six assists and three steals.

damnit timvp, why couldn't you have the TP scores how many points vbookie for THIS game! :lol

but those are great filler stats, so at least he wasn't invisible out there, he did what he could and helped our team win the game. i only got to watch a minute here and there, but with TD racking up 34 points, i would think that the lane was pretty clogged. did TP really only take 2 shots like the boxscore on spurs.com says?

smeagol
11-19-2004, 10:32 AM
For the record:

Manu is not an All Star, Parker doesn't suck.

2centsworth
11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Fair point, Shoogar. However I sincerely think Parker will kick it up a notch and whilst Manu has already regressed a bit I believe this current level will be his par for a while, with some games going poorly with some brilliant ones in between.

If 17pts, 9asst is regression then i want everyone to regress.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
For the record:

Manu is not an All Star, Parker doesn't suck.

That's a very balanced veiwpoint, smeagol, which puts you in the top 2% of objective Spur fans, and which will probably get you killed in Argentina.