PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: White waits patiently for time with Spurs

Kori Ellis
03-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Men's basketball: White waits patiently for time with Spurs

Web Posted: 03/27/2007 11:55 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Michael Finley saw enough highlights of this season's dunk contest to know this much: Had Spurs rookie James White been in the event, he would have won.

"Seriously," Finley said. "The dunk contest has come to a point where we've seen everything. But he has dunks that people haven't seen."

Finley said he has seen White take off from the free-throw line and put the ball between his legs before flushing it through the rim. He also claims White can throw down a two-handed dunk from the foul line.

"Nobody's seen that," Finley said.

Aside from the Spurs, nobody's seen White doing much of anything this season.

Since signing with the Spurs on Nov. 3, White has performed most of his work at the team's practice facility or in the NBDL. Almost all of his court time on game days has come during private workouts long before fans are allowed into the arena.

That changed Monday when Robert Horry was placed on the inactive list after suffering an abdominal injury the previous night in Seattle. With about three minutes left in the third quarter and the Spurs well on their way to a 126-89 victory over Golden State, White made his NBA debut. He finished with nine points and three rebounds in 15 minutes.

"It's got to be hard for him after a whole year waiting for this," Manu Ginobili said. "He did very good, so we're all happy for him. It's not easy to be on a team and never have the opportunity to play."

White also doesn't know when his next chance will come. If Horry's injury has healed or coach Gregg Popovich decides the team could need Melvin Ely's size tonight against the New Orleans Hornets, White will go back to his familiar seat behind the bench.

"You have to approach it as a job," White said. "It's my job to stay professional, go out there and come to work every day like nothing has changed. You never know when you'll get your opportunity to play.

"Basketball is fun; you can't beat that as a job."

So far, that attitude has served White well. Spurs officials, while acknowledging they might have to wait until summer league to better evaluate White, are pleased with how he's fit in the locker room.

White also handled his two assignments to the Development League fairly well, averaging 16.3 points on 47.7 percent shooting in 15 games for the Austin Toros. With minutes few and far between on a veteran-heavy Spurs roster, he has spent some of his time working with shooting coach Chip Engelland.

"I've improved so much since I've been here," White said. "My shot, my mental preparation, my professionalism — everything basketball-wise, I've gotten better."

While White needs to continue working on his fundamentals, no one has ever questioned he has the athleticism to succeed in the NBA. His leaping ability is extraordinary, and some among the Spurs rank him alongside David Robinson as one of the franchise's greatest athletes. Before he had even finished his college career at Cincinnati, "Flight" White's impressive dunks had made him a YouTube star.

Some NBA scouts thought White had the potential to be a first-round selection last summer. He lasted until the opening pick of the second round when Portland chose him and immediately traded him to Indiana. The Pacers thought enough of White to give him a guaranteed two-year contract, unusual for second-round picks.

Indiana, however, was fairly well-stocked at the wing positions. Some in the organization also were rankled a little by White's attitude, which they perceived as too cocky. Called for a hand-checking foul during an exhibition game, White played the ensuing possession by holding his hands behind his back.

Still, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle called the decision to cut White at the end of the preseason one of the most difficult he has had to make.

"It was surprising at first, it took me a while to get over the shock," White said. "It kind of motivated me just like draft night. I felt like when I was drafted, I got shafted a little bit.

"When I came here, it was a whole different situation from Indiana, the tradition of winning, the professionalism of the whole team. ... I've learned something new from the older guys every day."

Finley has helped mentor White, providing a few words of advice or encouragement when appropriate.

"He's young, so he really won't appreciate this time with this team until maybe five or six years into the league," Finley said. "Hopefully, he can stay grounded and stay humble, and he'll be OK."

Popovich thought White played "pretty confidently" Monday. He rimmed out a 3-pointer for his first shot but settled down after making an easy layup off a pass from Brent Barry.

With less than 30 seconds left, White finally received an opportunity to show off his legs, jamming a lob from Fabricio Oberto through the rim. The dunk brought applause from the bench, but the Spurs also have seen better from the rookie.

"Hopefully, he'll get an opportunity to be in (the contest) next year," Finley said. "He has my vote."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032807.01C.BKNspurs.white.3ae3606.html

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 01:17 AM
ppsssshhh.
Why didn't/doesn't Finley offer to come out of the games he is shooting 2-10 and let White play? He has my vote.

Mentor :rolleyes

phyzik
03-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Damn, I cant expect Pop to unleash him in the playoffs... He still has a lot to develop, he did great in the 15 or so minutes he was in the game against golden state... but its still only 1 game and only 15 minutes.... against a pretty much non-existent defense.... and playing against the bench at that.

With that said, I REALLY cant wait to see what he can do next year. :elephant

El_Mago
03-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Like I have stated, White has been working on the jump shot with Chip.

He has changed his mentality completely around, and his focus is on defense.

He has improved dramatically as he has stated and works extremely hard in practice.

The Spurs are excited about him, and will no doubt have him work some Summer League, which he might just dominate.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-28-2007, 01:36 AM
"It was surprising at first, it took me a while to get over the shock," White said. "It kind of motivated me just like draft night. I felt like when I was drafted, I got shafted a little bit.

"When I came here, it was a whole different situation from Indiana, the tradition of winning, the professionalism of the whole team. ... I've learned something new from the older guys every day."

Finley has helped mentor White, providing a few words of advice or encouragement when appropriate.

"He's young, so he really won't appreciate this time with this team until maybe five or six years into the league," Finley said. "Hopefully, he can stay grounded and stay humble, and he'll be OK."
Indiana releasing him was probably the best thing to ever happen to him in his young NBA career. Right now its advantage white, because of the players that he's surrounded with. Hopefully he takes it and runs with it for his future whether if its with or with out the spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2007, 01:44 AM
how strong is he? strong enough for dirk?

his ceiling is the exercise bike, as long james white > exercise bike >>>>> dirk

Mr. Body
03-28-2007, 01:50 AM
I have to say, all this is a nice surprise.

milkyway21
03-28-2007, 01:51 AM
"Hopefully, he'll get an opportunity to be in (the contest) next year," Finley said. "He has my vote."

Finley shld know who got what it takes to win in the dunk contest. afterall he joined twice but lost(to Brent & Kobe). :D

hey i like the sound of this ->"Flight" White.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Finley said he has seen White take off from the free-throw line and put the ball between his legs before flushing it through the rim. He also claims White can throw down a two-handed dunk from the foul line.
:lmao Only Pop and Jeff Van Gundy would keep this guy repressed on the bench. Hey can we let him work on his defense while he is getting a little game time in? No. Oh i see. Kind of like 19 yr old Andrew Bynum has all the fundamentals down pat. That is why the Lakers are playing him now.

White also doesn't know when his next chance will come. If Horry's injury has healed or coach Gregg Popovich decides the team could need Melvin Ely's size tonight against the New Orleans Hornets, White will go back to his familiar seat behind the bench.
Heavens yes. We all know how Horry likes to play in the regular season. For goodness sake don't take 5 minutes away from Horry, Findawg, Fabs or Beno. :dramaquee

Playoff playingtime?

Already know yeah yeah no need to repeat: He was only a 2nd R pick, he did not get to play with Indiana, blah blah blah.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Whoever spiked Pops lunch with Metamucil please do it again.
Maybe it will lighten him up again. Enough to let us see White for 5 minutes.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Only Pop and Jeff Van Gundy would keep this guy repressed on the bench.Yeah, other guys would've waived him like Carlisle.
Oh i see. Kind of like 19 yr old Andrew Bynum has all the fundamentals down pat. That is why the Lakers are playing him now.Who else do they have to play center?
Already know yeah yeah no need to repeatIt should be repeated that he's not all that good a player yet.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Whoever spiked Pops lunch with Metamucil please do it again.
Maybe it will lighten him up again. Enough to let us see White for 5 minutes.I saw him for a couple hundred minutes in Austin. He's got potential but needs alot of work.

milkyway21
03-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Some in the organization also were rankled a little by White's attitude, which they perceived as too cocky. :oops ???

PerforatedNeckline
03-28-2007, 02:06 AM
i know they're just comments to a reporter, and a lot of jackasses manage to sound good most of the time, but i have to say that his comments in this story are pretty encouraging and refreshing. they talk about people being concerned about him being cocky with the pacers, but everything he says in this article sounds pretty grounded and humble. i like this kid.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Only Pop and Jeff Van Gundy would keep this guy repressed on the bench. Hey can we let him work on his defense while he is getting a little game time in? No. Oh i see. Kind of like 19 yr old Andrew Bynum has all the fundamentals down pat. That is why the Lakers are playing him now

Bynum got to see even more playing time because Kwame had been out on injury this season.

But it's true. Bynum did get more minutes than White and he was pretty raw his first year. But he was a first round draft pick. And getting mentored by Kareem. And we're seeing that pay off now.

I'd like to see James White get a couple more games of playing time (if not just a measly five minutes-- if we're weighing in whether to go with a guard, instead of a big in the 13 man rotation),

but I trust this time they knew what they were doing by waiting to finally play him. It sounded like White was pretty immature (cocky- in that Indiana mention) and playing him too soon, or giving him any undeserved minutes, maybe wouldn't have been the wisest decision .

Plus, we have the veterans right now. So of course he wouldn't get playing time over Finley and Barry.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-28-2007, 02:13 AM
i know they're just comments to a reporter, and a lot of jackasses manage to sound good most of the time, but i have to say that his comments in this story are pretty encouraging and refreshing. they talk about people being concerned about him being cocky with the pacers, but everything he says in this article sounds pretty grounded and humble. i like this kid.
Now this doesn't have anything to do with not thinking White was being sincere, but it did sound like White was pretty cocky in the Indiana mention. (i.e. putting his hands behind his back, thinking he was shafted in the draft.)

But the way White said he treats it like a job, and still appreciates the fact that he gets to play basketball as a job, is pretty encouraging. I think being under the Spurs wing actually guided him, by getting a more mature understanding of how to be professional as he said, and being more humble. So I hope things turn out good for the guy, since he has the natural ability.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 02:23 AM
I saw him for a couple hundred minutes in Austin. He's got potential but needs alot of work.
I saw Finley and Beno play a couple dozen games in San Antone and L.A.
They have potential but they need a little work.

Yeah, other guys would've waived him like Carlisle.
Yeah, other guys like Cuban would pay him 17 mil to go away. :toast :spin

ChumpDumper
03-28-2007, 02:25 AM
They have potential but they need a little work.Less than White needs.
Yeah, other guys like Cuban would pay him 17 mil to go away.To save $17 more million, sure.

Kori Ellis
03-28-2007, 03:25 AM
By the way, the college slam dunk contest that JWhite was in (against Carney, David Noel, etc) is on ESPN right now.

milkyway21
03-28-2007, 03:34 AM
By the way, the college slam dunk contest that JWhite was in (against Carney, David Noel, etc) is on ESPN right now.thanks! I'll check if it will be shown here also.

may i ask why some sites are reporting that Horry won't return? Meaning for the rest of the season? if so, who do you think will take his spot- Ely, Butler, or White? How serious is the injury? Poor Bob :oops Rob, i mean :D

SRJ
03-28-2007, 03:53 AM
I'm eagerly anticipating White's future here. But it seems like some fans are unduly impressed with athleticism, as if "more of it" = "good player".

You know who's not terribly athletic? Tim Duncan

You know who is terribly athletic? Stromile Swift.

Obviously, I hope White works out as a Spur. But you don't get belong on a roster just because you can compete in a slam-dunk contest.

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 06:11 AM
ppsssshhh.
Why didn't/doesn't Finley offer to come out of the games he is shooting 2-10 and let White play? He has my vote.

Mentor :rolleyes

Finley is a great locker room guy. There was a story earlier in the season about him disciplining Jackie Butler and running extra laps with him after practice....and now this. He is a positive veteran influence to these young guys with alot to learn. Why are you dicking on him?

BTW, since Fin was told to let loose and not hesitate to take his shot, those 2-10 nights show up far less often....in case you missed the 9-12 performance the other night.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Indiana, however, was fairly well-stocked at the wing positions. Some in the organization also were rankled a little by White's attitude, which they perceived as too cocky. Called for a hand-checking foul during an exhibition game, White played the ensuing possession by holding his hands behind his back.

That's funny.

Taco
03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Men's basketball: White waits patiently for time with Spurs

Web Posted: 03/27/2007 11:55 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Michael Finley saw enough highlights of this season's dunk contest to know this much: Had Spurs rookie James White been in the event, he would have won.

"Seriously," Finley said. "The dunk contest has come to a point where we've seen everything. But he has dunks that people haven't seen."

Aside from the Spurs, nobody's seen White doing much of anything this season.

Since signing with the Spurs on Nov. 3, White has performed most of his work at the team's practice facility or in the NBDL. Almost all of his court time on game days has come during private workouts long before fans are allowed into the arena.

That changed Monday when Robert Horry was placed on the inactive list after suffering an abdominal injury the previous night in Seattle. With about three minutes left in the third quarter and the Spurs well on their way to a 126-89 victory over Golden State, White made his NBA debut. He finished with nine points and three rebounds in 15 minutes.

"It's got to be hard for him after a whole year waiting for this," Manu Ginobili said. "He did very good, so we're all happy for him. It's not easy to be on a team and never have the opportunity to play."

"You have to approach it as a job," White said. "It's my job to stay professional, go out there and come to work every day like nothing has changed. You never know when you'll get your opportunity to play.

"Basketball is fun; you can't beat that as a job."

So far, that attitude has served White well. Spurs officials, while acknowledging they might have to wait until summer league to better evaluate White, are pleased with how he's fit in the locker room.

White also handled his two assignments to the Development League fairly well, averaging 16.3 points on 47.7 percent shooting in 15 games for the Austin Toros. With minutes few and far between on a veteran-heavy Spurs roster, he has spent some of his time working with shooting coach Chip Engelland.

"I've improved so much since I've been here," White said. "My shot, my mental preparation, my professionalism — everything basketball-wise, I've gotten better."

While White needs to continue working on his fundamentals, no one has ever questioned he has the athleticism to succeed in the NBA. His leaping ability is extraordinary, and some among the Spurs rank him alongside David Robinson as one of the franchise's greatest athletes. Before he had even finished his college career at Cincinnati, "Flight" White's impressive dunks had made him a YouTube star.

Some NBA scouts thought White had the potential to be a first-round selection last summer. He lasted until the opening pick of the second round when Portland chose him and immediately traded him to Indiana. The Pacers thought enough of White to give him a guaranteed two-year contract, unusual for second-round picks.

Still, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle called the decision to cut White at the end of the preseason one of the most difficult he has had to make.

Popovich thought White played "pretty confidently" Monday. He rimmed out a 3-pointer for his first shot but settled down after making an easy layup off a pass from Brent Barry.

With less than 30 seconds left, White finally received an opportunity to show off his legs, jamming a lob from Fabricio Oberto through the rim. The dunk brought applause from the bench, but the Spurs also have seen better from the rookie.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032807.01C.BKNspurs.white.3ae3606.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtyZWmOLOQ

00:28 SEC INTO THIS VIDEO

bdictjames
03-28-2007, 08:39 AM
00:28 SEC INTO THIS VIDEO
He does look cocky. Hopefully his head wont grow and he'll choose to stay with the Spurs for a minimum contract. :lol

bigfan
03-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Ive got a feeling we will be seeing lots more of White later this season and certainly into the next season. He's got too much of an upside to let go, I think this guy is a sure keeper (as opposed to Ian and the others).

mardigan
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
SJax needed a lot of work before he got regular minutes, and he turned out to be pretty good, even without the atheticism White has. I really do hope this guys gets a roster spot next year with regular minutes

Borosai
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Indiana releasing him was probably the best thing to ever happen to him in his young NBA career. Right now its advantage white, because of the players that he's surrounded with. Hopefully he takes it and runs with it for his future whether if its with or with out the spurs.

I was thinking the same thing. Being on the Spurs, surrounded by solid veterans with zero off-the-court problems is much more advantageous for White than being on the Pacers (especially earlier in the year) with troubled characters like Jackson, Tinsley and maybe even J.O. Hopefully it works out.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Finley is a great locker room guy. There was a story earlier in the season about him disciplining Jackie Butler and running extra laps with him after practice....and now this. He is a positive veteran influence to these young guys with alot to learn. Why are you dicking on him?
yeah i read how the whole team was snickering at the more or less joke. Guess Findawg could not have influenced him to work out after he was signed in June? The laps really had an effect on him, as surely you remember the posted article about a Spur going down with a twisted ankle and Tim Duncan having to ask Butler 3 Xs to help carry him off the court. Butler sat on his ass on the bench while other Spurs including Duncan helped him limp off the court. Real influence by Finley.

BTW, since Fin was told to let loose and not hesitate to take his shot, those 2-10 nights show up far less often....in case you missed the 9-12 performance the other night
Are you serious? Finley has been told by Pop "to let loose and not hesitate" and that any and all misses would have no consequences since day 1 as a Spur. We are now 130 freakin games into Findawg. Yes i saw his 9-12 stats. Once every 40 games he does this. Woopie Doo. I guess i expect more from a 19 million a year player who was brought over primarily to shoot. Real leadership would have been going to Pop a long time ago and saying for gods sake let White play in place of me while i work my bricks out. He comes over from Dallas with zero titles, has the same declining deficiencies Mavs fans have seen since 2002, shoots 30%* and steals minutes yet is supposed to be some uber "leader"? :lol
*T-Park disclaimer he had a few good games vs Dallas in playoffs for sure.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

But it's true. Bynum did get more minutes than White and he was pretty raw his first year. But he was a first round draft pick. And getting mentored by Kareem. And we're seeing that pay off now.
And the mentoring by Fins? :spin :lol

mardigan
03-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Why the fuck are you hating on Finley so much? He has played better and is a great locker room guys, no snide little remarks by you are going to take that away.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Why the fuck are you hating on Finley so much? He has played better and is a great locker room guys, no snide little remarks by you are going to take that away.
I'm not hating on him, but I'm not propping him up to some ridiculous false glory status either.

The bar is Championship to me, not rah rah ooohh that was great hearing Mike Finley play some psuedo leadership role. Dallas loses him and gets past the Spurs. Period. Address what i wrote about Finleys alleged great locker room presense and influencing Butler.

Yes it seems the return to leather ball is helping him. Goodie goodie. Stop the pampering of this 19 mil a year guy and lets get down to does he or does he not help the Spurs get a title?

Since the thread is as relates to White, was it really neccessary for Findawg to be eating minutes in his 100-150th games as a Spur while White "had" to sit? Okay maybe it did do him good in the NDBL. But to sit him during the losing streaks while Finley Beans Horry etc all got big minutes? Spare me.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm not hating on him, but I'm not propping him up to some ridiculous false glory status either.

The bar is Championship to me, not rah rah ooohh that was great hearing Mike Finley play some psuedo leadership role. Dallas loses him and gets past the Spurs. Period. Address what i wrote about Finleys alleged great locker room presense and influencing Butler.

Yes it seems the return to leather ball is helping him. Goodie goodie. Stop the pampering of this 19 mil a year guy and lets get down to does he or does he not help the Spurs get a title?
Well then yes, I believe he does help us win a title, although I guess that is yet to be seen. Maybe Im just holding out hope that he hits a game winner in a pivitol game 5 against Dallas in Dallas

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 11:48 AM
yeah i read how the whole team was snickering at the more or less joke. Guess Findawg could not have influenced him to work out after he was signed in June? The laps really had an effect on him, as surely you remember the posted article about a Spur going down with a twisted ankle and Tim Duncan having to ask Butler 3 Xs to help carry him off the court. Butler sat on his ass on the bench while other Spurs including Duncan helped him limp off the court. Real influence by Finley.

Finley showed leadership and has great work ethic. If Butler chooses not to follow his example it's Butler's fault...not Finley's. My point was to suggest that Finley has great work ethic and has worked to become a veteran influence on this club. Care to dispute?

Are you serious? Finley has been told by Pop "to let loose and not hesitate" and that any and all misses would have no consequences since day 1 as a Spur. We are now 130 freakin games into Findawg. Yes i saw his 9-12 stats. Once every 40 games he does this. Woopie Doo. I guess i expect more from a 19 million a year player who was brought over primarily to shoot. Real leadership would have been going to Pop a long time ago and saying for gods sake let White play in place of me while i work my bricks out. He comes over from Dallas with zero titles, has the same declining deficiencies Mavs fans have seen since 2002, shoots 30%* and steals minutes yet is supposed to be some uber "leader"? :lol
*T-Park disclaimer he had a few good games vs Dallas in playoffs for sure.

First off, he hasn't been that $19M player in a few years, let alone the $38M he would've cost the Mavs as they were over the lux tax, so to hold him to some salary standard is rediculous. He came to the Spurs as a role player and should be thought of as such...not some $20M superstar. He was brought over because he CAN provide instant offense, but also because he's a good locker room guy, and a decent defender. He brings added depth to the Spurs squad.

I also find it funny that you choose to ignore his improving play over the season and categorize his decent games as "one in 40". He's shooting 46% from the field in March and has had only one really shitty game in that stretch (@ NJ, 2/12).

And the reason Pop tells him to pull the trigger is that he's a rythm shooter that can't miss when his shot starts falling...he's also the only player other than Horry that can take a shot with a hand in his face...a valuable trait. Yet you'd rather have a guy who's played all of 15 minutes in a blowout win? :dizzy

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM
First off, he hasn't been that $19M player in a few years, let alone the $38M he would've cost the Mavs as they were over the lux tax, so to hold him to some salary standard is rediculous. He came to the Spurs as a role player and should be thought of as such...not some $20M superstar. He was brought over because he CAN provide instant offense, but also because he's a good locker room guy, and a decent defender. He brings added depth to the Spurs squad.

i still havnt seen that 'instant offense' your talkin about, if his instant than = GODmode

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
He put up 20 points in 20 minutes off the bench just two days ago...how's that not instant offense?

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
3 Mar @Hou...14pts in 18min on 6/11

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
9 Feb (orl)....18pts in 23min on 7/10

rocyaice
03-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Who's asked for Finley to recieve props? Reading this thread you came out of no where knocking Finley for praising James White. Because he doesn't have the menality of a loser? That's something a loser would do. Sit on the bench and not earn your pay check. Fin is out there playing his ass off and has contributed to many wins this year as a Spur. I could care less what Fin's stats look like just as long as he shows up in the post season. And the way he's playing as of a late it looks as if he's gearing up.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
:clap 2 games this season?
Now post Barrdogs stats. Both last years playoffs esp vs Kings but also Mavs.

Finley showed leadership and has great work ethic. If Butler chooses not to follow his example it's Butler's fault...not Finley's. My point was to suggest that Finley has great work ethic and has worked to become a veteran influence on this club. Care to dispute? Then why mention the laps incident with Butler. Just a small one after practice sidepoint that's had no bearing on Butlers season. Spurs already had and have a ton of veteran leadership. We did not need to bring it in. It's not like Finley is the only one. If he is helping White with off court attitude, great. I see no quotes from White on Fins, however.

ChumpDumper, PhatTony etc

To save $17 more million, sure
Cuban couldn't care less about saving money to help get a Mavs title. If he thought Finley would have helped, he would have spent the lux tax money.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Except for the people who watched the college dunk contest last year...

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Take the Finley bashing to a new thread. Damn.

ambchang
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
FYI PHAT Tony, Fabbs also thinks Horry and Kerr are surefire HoFers.

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Take the Finley bashing to a new thread. Damn.
Hey latecomer, back off. :p:
The article said White may soon again be banished to the bench. Hence several of us ask "why not White in Findawg reduced?"

But yes, let us rejoice in the dunkage and upside that is James White. :toast

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Anyone else think that White looked like he's been hitting the weightroom pretty hard?

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
:clap 2 games this season?

Nice bit of sarcasm. I guess I should've added an "etc." to clarify to the less intuitive posters that those were two of MANY examples this season.

Spurs already had and have a ton of veteran leadership. We did not need to bring it in. It's not like Finley is the only one. If he is helping White with off court attitude, great. I see no quotes from White on Fins, however.

So it's bad to have too many professional, hard-working veterans? I don't get your logic. About the no-quotes from White, see the reference to the entire article dedicated to Fin's professionalism, work ethic, and mentorship...you need White's quotes to validate his veteran worth to this team?

ChumpDumper, PhatTony etc

Cuban couldn't care less about saving money to help get a Mavs title. If he thought Finley would have helped, he would have spent the lux tax money.

I refuse to believe that Cuban would have cut Finley outright if he wasn't given the incentive of not having to pay the luxury tax on his enormous salary. You think he would've been cut regardless?

T Park
03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Except for the people who watched the college dunk contest last year...

wich isn't many.

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Interestingly enough, John Hollinger wrote a piece on the "Worst Contracts" and Finley was right up there....only,his contract was deemed worst in reference to the Mavs. Read below...

1. Michael Finley, Mavericks ($16.1 million)
Contrary to what you might think, the worst-case contract scenario isn't paying a lot of money to a guy who can't play. It's shelling out for a guy who can play and then waiving him, allowing him to sign a below-market contract with your closest rival for the championship. That's the case for the Mavs, who are paying Finley superstar money to try to beat them as a Spur. Blame the luxury tax amnesty rule, which offered the Mavs so much savings that they couldn't afford not to cut Finley.

Note, Fabbs, the last statement (bolded)

Taco
03-28-2007, 03:52 PM
i hope James White is active and get's to play tonight

Fabbs
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Note, Fabbs, the last statement (bolded)
That was written prior to the season.
Whatever Cubans reasons, here is what John Hollinger wrote after the season.

Michael Finley
2005-06 season: Waived by Dallas via the luxury-tax amnesty rule, Finley found a soft landing in San Antonio. Unfortunately, his play continues to head downhill. Finley established new career lows ... (The rest is for pay only. I'm not paying for what i already know.)

Tying this into White, and going back to the very beginnings of Finley, my understanding was he was going to be a 10-15 minute guy who was happy to fulfill his role on the Spurs and get a title shot. How that translates into 37 minutes per game vs Dallas is something he and Pop should be held accountable to. Barry shot 74% fga vs Kings including a crucial game winner, bouncer or not. Finley 53% in equal minutes.
While Fins picked it up vs Dallas he still didn't shoot as well as Barry. Not that Barry was the answer vs Mavs, his inbounds snafu was gagging.
Point being Pops use of personell can and should most certainly be questioned. Post Finley it's 1-0 Mavs, pure and simple with Pop deciding to ride Findawg 37 minutes per in the elimination series.

That having been said PhatTony and all, maybe the Spurs FO and Pop know more about White. Maybe he sniffs coke like an anteater and his rehab counseler suggested that increased NBA minutes and fame could be deadly to him. :p: It's just a thought.

AFBlue
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Michael Finley
2005-06 season: Waived by Dallas via the luxury-tax amnesty rule, Finley found a soft landing in San Antonio. Unfortunately, his play continues to head downhill. Finley established new career lows ... (The rest is for pay only. I'm not paying for what i already know.)

Tying this into White, and going back to the very beginnings of Finley, my understanding was he was going to be a 10-15 minute guy who was happy to fulfill his role on the Spurs and get a title shot. How that translates into 37 minutes per game vs Dallas is something he and Pop should be held accountable to. Barry shot 74% fga vs Kings including a crucial game winner, bouncer or not. Finley 53% in equal minutes.
While Fins picked it up vs Dallas he still didn't shoot as well as Barry. Not that Barry was the answer vs Mavs, his inbounds snafu was gagging.
Point being Pops use of personell can and should most certainly be questioned. Post Finley it's 1-0 Mavs, pure and simple with Pop deciding to ride Findawg 37 minutes per in the elimination series.

That having been said PhatTony and all, maybe the Spurs FO and Pop know more about White. Maybe he sniffs coke like an anteater and his rehab counseler suggested that increased NBA minutes and fame could be deadly to him. :p: It's just a thought.

Sorry Fabbs...here's the link and the quote...note the bolded date

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=BadContracts0607

Updated: March 28, 2007

The 25 worst contracts in the NBABy John Hollinger
ESPN Insider
Archive

CATEGORY I: ALREADY WAIVED

These players are still getting paid by their former teams, even though a couple of them haven't suited up in ages. A few others are double dipping, cashing checks from both a former team and a current one.

1. Michael Finley, Mavericks ($16.1 million)
Contrary to what you might think, the worst-case contract scenario isn't paying a lot of money to a guy who can't play. It's shelling out for a guy who can play and then waiving him, allowing him to sign a below-market contract with your closest rival for the championship. That's the case for the Mavs, who are paying Finley superstar money to try to beat them as a Spur. Blame the luxury tax amnesty rule, which offered the Mavs so much savings that they couldn't afford not to cut Finley.

I actually agree with you that playing Finley 35 minutes...with most of those minutes coming at the small ball 4 spot was/is a huge mistake. Still, I think he's more effective at the two positions James White would be used in...

Kori Ellis
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Fabbs - I am freakin sick of you bashing Fin and other Spurs players in every freakin thread you post in.

This thread was about the help that Fin has given a young guy in James White. Whatever you want to think about Finley's limitations in his career. He's a seasoned vet, has had terrific experience, and is a very good role model for the kid.

So seriously, take all your misguided hate and stupid nicknames and STFU and get out this thread.

That's all.

Back to James White.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Im glad to hear that he has been working with Chip, with his athleticism, if he can learn to just have a dependable mid-range jumper and play good d I think he will definately earn a spot

FirebatMIV
03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
White shot 37.3% from 3pt his senior year @ Cinncinnati. I don't think his J is as underdeveloped as some claim.

gilmor
03-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Michael Finley

Fabbs, WHY DON'T u go support the Mavs? Mavs got all the personality players whom you love..

Just fucking get off the Spurs Bandwagon..

ChumpDumper
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
White shot 37.3% from 3pt his senior year @ Cinncinnati. I don't think his J is as underdeveloped as some claim.He was 13-39 from the NBA arc in Austin. Ok, but needs work like everything else.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/story/2007/3/27/63815/1954

A pretty accurate description James White playing time

Kori Ellis
03-28-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/story/2007/3/27/63815/1954

A pretty accurate description James White playing time

I'm glad to see that Aaron Stampler's friends on the website he writes for hate Tony as much as he does :lmao

Embarrassing.

ShoogarBear
03-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm glad to see that Aaron Stampler's friends on the website he writes for hate Tony as much as he does :lmao

Embarrassing.It really is pathetic. You should see tonight's game blog.

T Park
03-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Amazing how an all star point guard can be hated so much..

Kori Ellis
03-28-2007, 10:56 PM
It really is pathetic. You should see the game blog.

I actually saw a little bit of it and just moved along.

Oh well. Some people are just don't have any other place to direct their hate for some reason.

"Selfish Frenchy prick" type of comments over and over is kind of disgusting though.

On another note, Tony and Manu both sucked tonight. Hopefully they got it out of their system and the Spurs can start rolling toward the postseason.

SequSpur
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Tony Parker is the only reason this team is not battling for the 6th seed...

SequSpur
03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I thought White was going to start for Bowen tonight?

He had more statistics/productivity in 13 minutes than Bowen has had in any 13 minutes in the last 10 years... WTF?

T Park
03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Uh no, that would be Ginobili and Duncan.

T Park
03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I thought White was going to start for Bowen tonight?

He had more statistics/productivity in 13 minutes than Bowen has had in any 13 minutes in the last 10 years... WTF?

7 points 9 rebounds, makes the defensive stop at the end on Butler to win the game.

Way to miss the game again small stuff.