PDA

View Full Version : Spurs D - protecting the lane. Why is it that way?

Quasar
03-28-2007, 02:59 AM
Just want to hear your thoughts regarding the 'protect the lane' motto of Spurs D.

Spurs D is predicated upon the guards funnelling opposing players to the baseline such that they can then be defended by either Tim or the "center of the day".

While this does make sense, can you contrast this approach with the 'conventional wisdom' that it is the baseline that should be prevented, and that guards should funnel opposing players down the lane instead, where help is sure to be found?

E.g. This site recommends following the 'conventional' way of doing things http://en.allexperts.com/q/Basketball-Instruction-1578/defend-good-shooter.htm

What are the pros of the spurs D? What are the cons?

Is spurs D only suited for teams having Twin Towers?

So far, one advantage of sending opponents to the baseline instead of down the lane is that it prevents confusion - when a player barrels down the lane, all 5 players could potentially be involved in help defense, so it is highly likely most of them could 'defer' to each other.

The opposite could easily happen, resulting in the whole defense collapsing and leaving all the shooters free.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2007, 03:06 AM
You prefer to funnel opposing players directly to the basket?

Quasar
03-28-2007, 04:17 AM
You prefer to funnel opposing players directly to the basket?It is not really that "I prefer", because I've always liked to push them to the baseline.

However, I got into an argument with the new guys I started playing with - they prefer funnelling the players to the center because that's where most of the defenders will be.

We usually play pickup games, so the plan is usually man-to-man defense, with each player playing defense/help-defense as per his experience.

What they said did make sense as well, although to me, I prefer making access to the basket as difficult as possible. Additionally, pushing them to the baseline makes it easier to 'trap' the players below the board.

However, what kept consistently happening in the game was that the teams we played against had good shooters, so they tended to clear out the middle, pulling their defenders with them near to the corner 3 areas.

As a result, with only the center manning the middle, whenever a player managed to reach the baseline (and overtake me - the guy is much faster!), the center was in the dillemma of leaving his man to help me or allowing the other guy an open path to the basket.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Honestly, I don't think it matters either way.

The key is to KNOW which way you're going to do it, and have your help defense down. I remember hearing a whole explanation on why they do it...but I don't think it really makes a difference. Just know where your help is, and know your rotations. I think it's good coaching in that aspect, not in the schematics aspect.

Russ
03-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Isn't the baseline like an extra defender? If you get a player to the baseline, he is automatically double-teamed -- by his defender and the baseline.

Dalhoop
03-28-2007, 06:09 AM
You don't want to funnel to the lane as more things could go wrong.

Example - PG beats his man and goes down the middle of the lane. If one defender helps, the system holds, if two or more help, then too many players are being left open for open shots (At the pro level this is death)

Against teams with few long range shooters, funneling to the lane can be effective, as it does stop lay-ups. If the jump shots are falling though, it would be a long night for that defensive startagy.

If instead PG is forced to baseline -

PG beats man and goes baseline, because of the line his movement at that point becomes limited.

1 - He is forced to turn toward the basket and drive at the bigs and try to put up a shot against them AND the back of the backboard

2 - Kill is dribble on the baseline and face the double team of his defender (that can now recover) and the end line.

3 - Turn back and head back out (His defender can recover)

#1 is the worst that can happen. At the NBA level the PG under the basket can find the open three point shooter in the off corner, or cutters into the lane. But even then, as the PG is coming to him, the opposing center doesn't have to go far to help defend. All other players are too far to help defend so their man are still covered, so even in the worst case situation the system doesn't breakdown.

mabber
03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Isn't the baseline like an extra defender? If you get a player to the baseline, he is automatically double-teamed -- by his defender and the baseline.

Exactly. Most teams would rather the player go baseline than down the middle as there are less options.

Obstructed_View
03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Funnelling to the baseline makes Rasho Nesterovic a good defender. Argument over. :)

ploto
03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Funnelling to the baseline makes Rasho Nesterovic a good defender.
But somehow not Nazr, Elson or Oberto. :lol

ManuMagic
03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
It all depends on the personnel of your team, the team you are playing, and who is on the court at the time. For an NBA example - if you play the Lakers you have to decide when to double Kobe, and as such your defense will rotate to take away the easiest pass to the basket. If you are playing a dominate big man, either your guard or opposite post will double and the defense will rotate to take away the easiest pass to the basket. If you double no one, then you play straight up and "collapse" based upon penetration or deep post entry pass. The idea is to have your guards not allow penetration or a deep post entry pass so you can stay straight up on every player, but that doesn't always work out. The objective is to make the offensive player make the most difficult pass/shot possible, and this is why things like spot on rotations, closing out on shooters, and swarming help defense are essential to stopping the offense.

coz
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I've actually heard an interview once with steve kerr when someone posed this same question to him concerning the spurs D. His response (paraphrasing) was something to the effect that penetration down the lane gives the penetrator too many options, pass left, pass right, drive, use the backboard, etc. penetrating down the baseline takes several options away.

phyzik
03-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Just want to hear your thoughts regarding the 'protect the lane' motto of Spurs D.

Spurs D is predicated upon the guards funnelling opposing players to the baseline such that they can then be defended by either Tim or the "center of the day".

While this does make sense, can you contrast this approach with the 'conventional wisdom' that it is the baseline that should be prevented, and that guards should funnel opposing players down the lane instead, where help is sure to be found?

E.g. This site recommends following the 'conventional' way of doing things http://en.allexperts.com/q/Basketball-Instruction-1578/defend-good-shooter.htm

What are the pros of the spurs D? What are the cons?

Is spurs D only suited for teams having Twin Towers?

So far, one advantage of sending opponents to the baseline instead of down the lane is that it prevents confusion - when a player barrels down the lane, all 5 players could potentially be involved in help defense, so it is highly likely most of them could 'defer' to each other.

The opposite could easily happen, resulting in the whole defense collapsing and leaving all the shooters free.

Spurs have been the top defensive team for just about 10 years now..... not top 5.... TOP.

I'll trust Pop on this one over some website.

z0sa
03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
The problem with funneling players to the center is if the big man comes to help, it leaves a layup. If you funnel baseline, it leaves a jumpshot. jumpshot is harder than a layup.

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
simple. NBA players can't shoot.

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
turn Dwhine, Lebronze, etc into jumpshooters, and what do you have? losers.

Carmelo, Kobe and a few others decent shooters would be the exception, but they are very few.

wildbill2u
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Of course the best defense is to stay WITH your man and use to baseline to help 'trap' him. A 'big' coming over to help completes the trap and he has to be good to get a pass off between the two of you. So his tendency is to pass it back out on his side.

Furthermore, if you can't stay with him, but you get him close to the baseline, he's actually behind the basket. Tough shot--although I saw Gervin make one from behind the basket while going out of bounds once.

From the baseline his passing options are limited. Hopefully there is a defensive man between him and every offensive player on his team.

If he's in the lane he has shooting angles and more passing opportunities.

LilMissSPURfect
03-28-2007, 12:45 PM
turn Dwhine, Lebronze, etc into jumpshooters, and what do you have? losers.

Carmelo, Kobe and a few others decent shooters would be the exception, but they are very few.

:lol :lol

lrrr
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
It's a lower percentage shot from the baseline underneath the backboard, and it is also easier to defend with a lower percentage of a foul.

v2freak
03-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Has anyone found a way to describe the Spurs defense without saying funnel?

Controlled_Chaos
03-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I wonder if the spurs are going to hang on to this defensive philosophy once Duncan retires? Did their defensive philosophy worked because of Duncan or the other way around?

5ToolMan
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
The Spurs strategy of funneling to the baseline cuts down offensive options. Both the baseline and the backboard become "extra defenders" that take away the offensive players space.

It helps that the Spurs have enjoyed two very unique and special defensive players in DRob and Duncan who could smoother the driving offensive player's drives without giving up many fouls. Rasho and to a lessor extend Mohammed were able to play along side "Coach" Duncan and use their length and Tim's help to produce some pretty impressive defensive numbers at times.

Obstructed_View
03-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Another nice thing about the system is that it doesn't require the guards to be outstandingly quick, however the system really requires two shot blockers, one at each side of the basket, for it to work. You can see how it breaks down with Horry or Finley playing that spot. Duncan had to work way too hard patrolling both sides of the lane last year with Rasho and Nazr on the bench, and ended up in foul trouble. I think the Spurs figured out how to rotate by the end of the Mavs series. I hope we don't have to find out.

mavs>spurs2
03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Is this a serious question? You NEVER let a player drive middle.