PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Giving Kevin Willis A Workout

Flight3107
03-28-2007, 04:08 AM
This Thursday.

:drunk :dizzy

Bruno
03-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Mavs need an extra body against Shaq and Yao.
Mavs have too only 10 usefull players for the playoff (their 3 rookies are far from being ready to help them for the playoffs), it won't hurt them to add a vet at the end of their bench.
And if mavs sign nobody, it won't be a big deal.

themvp
03-28-2007, 07:32 AM
link?

mabber
03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
link?

From the Dallas Morning News...

Workout scheduled: The Mavericks are going to bring in 44-year-old Kevin Willis for a workout Thursday to find out if he might be a viable option for their vacant roster spot.

This is a sign of how shallow the pool of available big men is. Willis was one of the most remarkably svelte athletes in the game when he was playing, but the 7-footer has been retired since the end of the 2004-05 season.

Willis won a championship with San Antonio in 2003 and last played for Atlanta. Willis played 20 seasons.

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2007, 07:53 AM
fuck the mavs are tryin everything to get over the bump of sas...

Fromthebleachers
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
see 2006 season

mabber
03-28-2007, 08:06 AM

Considering Willis has NOTHING to do with the Spurs. It would be adding another big man for the extra fouls they would need vs. Yao and Shaq (if they met them).

ponky
03-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Considering Willis has NOTHING to do with the Spurs. It would be adding another big man for the extra fouls they would need vs. Yao and Shaq (if they met them).

exactly, i can't believe timdfhkhdfhcircvniurnfsdbnmbcvh thought it was about the spurs

monosylab1k
03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
there's not a 7 foot six foul guy who's younger than 44?

mabber
03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
there's not a 7 foot six foul guy who's younger than 44?

Apparently, there's no one that they're interested in. I'd be ok with Willis is he was still in decent shape.

LEONARD
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
He was pretty good on Pro's vs Joe's :lol

ponky
03-28-2007, 08:46 AM
He was pretty good on Pro's vs Joe's :lol

true! anyway he would just be a third option, won't see too much playing time

Shank
03-28-2007, 09:08 AM
No 2nd chance for Mamadou N'Diaye? Shame.

LEONARD
03-28-2007, 09:13 AM
true! anyway he would just be a third option, won't see too much playing time

"It's hell in the hole!!!!!!!!!" :lol

mardigan
03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
He is probably going to show up for the try out just to punch Cuban in the face

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
hey wait, wouldn't this make the mavs..............old? i guess the "old" tag can be silenced like the mav "fans" wanting the "we have 3 rings" talk to stop if this were to happen.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
hey wait, wouldn't this make the mavs..............old? i guess the "old" tag can be silenced like the mav "fans" wanting the "we have 3 rings" talk to stop if this were to happen.
I dont think he would single handedly make this team old. Him and Stack would really be the only 2 old guys

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
:lmao Mavs are desperate.

they already tried to get Miller, Pippen, now Willis?

lefty
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM
:lmao Mavs are desperate.

they already tried to get Miller, Pippen, now Willis?

They are showing signs of being afraid by the Spurs

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
They are showing signs of being afraid by the Spurs

I don't really think it's only about the Spurs.

mavs know that if they don't get the championship this year, it would be a monumental failure. They know that if they don't get the rings this year, they probably never will.(with this team)

they are nervous, the pressure is all on them. and that is good for Spurs

mardigan
03-28-2007, 10:40 AM
If they were going to do this, they should have done it earlier in the year .They arent going to get the real benifits of K-Wills leadership or defensive presence that he can bring. At this point, he will barely get to know the guys, and wont get to really affect them. Cause you know he wont ever see the court. I wonder how much Avery had to do with this

lefty
03-28-2007, 10:40 AM

Yup

Shank
03-28-2007, 10:45 AM

mavs know that if they don't get the championship this year, it would be a monumental failure. They know that if they don't get the rings this year, they probably never will.(with this team)

Wait. So Mavs+Kevin Willis = teh win! But Mavs-Kevin Willis = 1st round loss?

How is anyone reading this as a desperate move if it comes to fruition? It's a body for the playoffs. IF he sees any play, it would be minimal at best. Damp-Diop and rotating Dirk/Croshere around the 5 with the smaller lineup will be the main strategy. Willis is just a body (read: OLD body).

The Mavs aren't nervous. This is just Neo adding a flyswatter to his arsenal before shooting up the groundfloor.

mabber
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
If they were going to do this, they should have done it earlier in the year .They arent going to get the real benifits of K-Wills leadership or defensive presence that he can bring. At this point, he will barely get to know the guys, and wont get to really affect them. Cause you know he wont ever see the court. I wonder how much Avery had to do with this

Yeah, they really need that as they're struggling w/o it. :rolleyes

As I mentioned in earlier post, they are just looking at someone to give them 6 more fouls in case they meet up with Yao and/or Shaq. That's all this is about. I guess they'd rather have a veteran w/playoff experience to do this for them.

They don't have a 3rd center since MBenga went down in case some of you Spurs fans had forgot or didn't know.

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
keep telling yourself that.

howcome Suns, SPurs are not making last minute changes? and you forget that Mavs PUBLICLY thought about getting Reggie and Pippen.

truth is they are not happy with the current state of the roster for getting a championship. face it. or don't. whatever.

lefty
03-28-2007, 10:51 AM

howcome Suns, SPurs are not making last minute changes? and you forget that Mavs PUBLICLY thought about getting Reggie and Pippen.

truth is they are not happy with the current state of the roster for getting a championship. face it. or don't. whatever.

True ; they must be regretting getting rid of Anthony Johnson, a solid, exprienced back-up PG (plus, he doesn't shy away from taking big shots)

Reggie, Pip, and KW were good of course, but man, they are "old"

mardigan
03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, they really need that as they're struggling w/o it. :rolleyes

As I mentioned in earlier post, they are just looking at someone to give them 6 more fouls in case they meet up with Yao and/or Shaq. That's all this is about. I guess they'd rather have a veteran w/playoff experience to do this for them.

They don't have a 3rd center since MBenga went down in case some of you Spurs fans had forgot or didn't know.
You dont have to be a dick. I was just saying that the only reason for them to bring him in is because of his leadership and experience. Fucking Mav fans are so defensive. I never said they needed it in the first place

Shank
03-28-2007, 10:55 AM

They're fine where they're at.

Look at the rosters of some of the most recent Mavs teams - the ones that previously set the records this current team is breaking. Which has the more talented roster? That 02-03 team looks pretty good, as does last year's. But somehow this less-than-stellar roster is putting them all to shame. Why is that? It's in the coaching. And if the coach thinks they need another body to take up space in the playoffs while not messing with what they already have, then so be it. No one is going to argue with him.

They've just come off a 6-game road winning streak while missing George/Buckner for the majority. They can win with the full faculties of their roster or they can mix it up and play short-handed. If anything, I'd be worried as a Spurs fan that the Mavs are looking to add another piece to an already strong roster.

mabber
03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
You dont have to be a dick. I was just saying that the only reason for them to bring him in is because of his leadership and experience. Fucking Mav fans are so defensive. I never said they needed it in the first place

Didn't mean to offend you, I just don't understand why so many of you don't seem to grasp why they're interested in him (for his 6 fouls vs. Yao and/or Shaq). They lost MBenga to injury awhile back.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Didn't mean to offend you, I just don't understand why so many of you don't seem to grasp why they're interested in him (for his 6 fouls vs. Yao and/or Shaq). They lost to injury MBenga awhile back.
Oh I understand, but their are a lot of playooff teams that dont have 3 centers on the roster, and I didnt see them running to try this guy out. I know they have a roster spot to fill, but they have other players they can play at center. Bringing him in seems to me like it is for something else

mabber
03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh I understand, but their are a lot of playoof teams that dont have 3 centers on the roster, and I didnt see them running to try this guy out. I know they have a roster spot to fill, but they have other players they can play at center. Bringing him in seems to me like it is for something else

Avery just doesn't want to have to use Croshere or Pops(rookie) on Yao or Shaq if Damp & Diop get into foul trouble. He certainly doesn't want to have to use Dirk. It's really that simple. The Mavs used a few of MBenga's fouls vs. Shaq in the finals. Plus, I would think that Willis would be better at setting picks than those other guys. That's all he would be doing on the offensive end.

We will see, but I'd be surprised if Willis is in good enough shape for them to bring him in.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Avery just doesn't want to have to use Croshere or Pops(rookie) on Yao or Shaq if Damp & Diop get into foul trouble. He certainly doesn't want to have to use Dirk. It's really that simple. The Mavs used a few of MBenga's fouls vs. Shaq in the finals. Plus, I would think that Willis would be better at setting picks than those other guys. That's all he would be doing on the offensive end.

We will see, but I'd be surprised if Willis is in good enough shape for them to bring him in.
Yea, I agree with that, I doubt he actually makes the team.

MrChug
03-28-2007, 11:16 AM

On SIRIUS radio 127 this morning, Jack Ramsay and Fred Carter spoke very definitively about how their intent was to combat the Spurs and made no mention of any other team. (insert Mavs fan rolling their eyes).

mabber
03-28-2007, 11:19 AM
On SIRIUS radio 127 this morning, Jack Ramsay and Fred Carter spoke very definitively about how their intent was to combat the Spurs and made no mention of any other team. (insert Mavs fan rolling their eyes).

GM Donnie Nelson only mentioned Yao & Shaq on the radio but I'm sure Jack & Fred know the Mavs better than Nelson does.

pussyface
03-28-2007, 11:33 AM

we have an open roster spot to fill.
"where would we be without wishful thinking?"--Jeff Tweedy

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Avery just doesn't want to have to use Croshere or Pops(rookie) on Yao or Shaq if Damp & Diop get into foul trouble. He certainly doesn't want to have to use Dirk. It's really that simple.

thank you, an honest mav fan finally. Team is not confident enough on their bench.

Supergirl
03-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Indeed. True on all counts.

Why would a team that is on pace to win 60+ games need to sign someone new a month before the playoffs? Obviously, they've done fine with what they have. This reeks of fear. They are so afraid of choking again it's funny. But perhaps they should be.

mabber
03-28-2007, 12:02 PM
thank you, an honest mav fan finally. Team is not confident enough on their bench.

Not really about confidence in their bench, but more about them needing a 3rd center since they lost MBenga to a season-ending injury.

LEONARD
03-28-2007, 12:16 PM

They have an OPEN roster slot genius...it needs to be filled with somebody, and a 3rd center is the ideal guy...

Do the Spurs or Suns have an open slot???

mabber
03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
They have an OPEN roster slot genius...it needs to be filled with somebody, and a 3rd center is the ideal guy...

Quit making sense. It doesn't seem to work in this particular thread.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey if Willis can give us 5-10 minutes at times and is good enough for 6 fouls to give, I am all for it. It would be common sense to fill a roster spot that could be used at some point of a game other then garbage time (Pops and Ager). I love how Spurs fans run with this and claim it to be desperation or fearing the spurs. :dramaquee

leemajors
03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
i doubt willis is out of shape, he always seemed like a workout dude. he could never work out enough to get rid of his short arms though.

leemajors
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey if Willis can give us 5-10 minutes at times and is good enough for 6 fouls to give, I am all for it. It would be common sense to fill a roster spot that could be used at some point of a game other then garbage time (Pops and Ager). I love how Spurs fans run with this and claim it to be desperation or fearing the spurs. :dramaquee

makes sense, if not just for legit centers on other teams, as well as duncan's propensity for drawing fouls from diop/damp.

sandman
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM

Actually it does not NEED to be filled, they are simply taking the opportunity to do so. The fact that they are attempting to fill a roster spot that does not need to be filled, and supposedly making that attempt with a 44-year old player who has been out of the league for a year, says something.

Considering that the Mavs have straight up owned the Rockets this year, and the Heat would be a longshot at this present time to reach the Finals, it rings hollow the speculation of "6 more fouls" against Yao/Shaq.

I'm fairly confident that it was not lost to Mavs management that Willis played a few seasons for the Spurs in the recent past.

SPURS vs NBA media
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM
first,reggie miller,now k-willis,mavs are afraid or not confortable with thier total roster

LEONARD
03-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Actually it does not NEED to be filled, they are simply taking the opportunity to do so. The fact that they are attempting to fill a roster spot that does not need to be filled, and supposedly making that attempt with a 44-year old player who has been out of the league for a year, says something.

Considering that the Mavs have straight up owned the Rockets this year, and the Heat would be a longshot at this present time to reach the Finals, it rings hollow the speculation of "6 more fouls" against Yao/Shaq.

I'm fairly confident that it was not lost to Mavs management that Willis played a few seasons for the Spurs in the recent past.

Going into the playoffs with only 2 centers on the roster wouldn't be smart. One injury and they'd be in trouble. Of course Willis would be for emergency / 6 foul use...

first,reggie miller,now k-willis,mavs are afraid or not confortable with thier total roster

They're clearly struggling...have been all season... :spin

it won't work out

Probably not...just checking out all options...

mabber
03-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Yes, it doesn't need to be filled but why not fill it with another resource? It really makes no sense not to at least try to find another center for that roster spot.

The Mavs are 2-1 vs. the Rockets with their only loss being when Yao was actually playing (and they killed the Mavs). I wouldn't say that was "straight up" owning them. Plus, they've always had trouble with Yao.

If it makes you feel better to imagine that the Mavs are worried about the Spurs so they're bringing in Willis, I can't stop you but it's far from the truth.
As if Willis is going to provide the Mavs some information about the Spurs that the Mavs don't already know :lol

Taco
03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5686/pvjjz5.jpg
I guess Pro's vs Joe's wasn't paying enough

mardigan
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
i doubt willis is out of shape, he always seemed like a workout dude. he could never work out enough to get rid of his short arms though.
There is a difference between being in basketball shape and good shape. I know that Willis is in great shape for a normal person, but I doubt he is in basketball shape

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes, it doesn't need to be filled but why not fill it with another resource? It really makes no sense not to at least try to find another center for that roster spot.

The Mavs are 2-1 vs. the Rockets with their only loss being when Yao was actually playing (and they killed the Mavs). I wouldn't say that was "straight up" owning them. Plus, they've always had trouble with Yao.

If it makes you feel better to imagine that the Mavs are worried about the Spurs so they're bringing in Willis, I can't stop you but it's far from the truth.
As if Willis is going to provide the Mavs some information about the Spurs that the Mavs don't already know :lol

you keep dodging the 2nd part of the question. Why did Mavs consider/try to getting Miller and Pippen???

mardigan
03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Willis is going to give Dirk a concusion in practice throwing those bows he throws

mabber
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
you keep dodging the 2nd part of the question. Why did Mavs consider/try to getting Miller and Pippen???

Sorry, I didn't think it was worth responding to. I'll respond.

They never tried to get either of those guys. I think Cuban mentioned Miller to the press one day but he's not making the basketball decisions. I don't recall anyone in the Mav's organization saying anything about Pippen. The Mavs were on Pippen's short list but that doesn't mean the Mavs were interested.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Yea, I never heard anything about the Mavs going for Pipp, I think it was all speculation

nkdlunch
03-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't think it was worth responding to. I'll respond.

They never tried to get either of those guys. I think Cuban mentioned Miller to the press one day but he's not making the basketball decisions. I don't recall anyone in the Mav's organization saying anything about Pippen. The Mavs were on Pippen's short list but that doesn't mean the Mavs were interested.

Newsflash, if a team PUBLICLY mentions a player's name and the possibility of them joining, this means they are seriously considering if not seriously trying to get them.

Cuban mentioned Miller's name at one time and Pippen on another. but you can still be in denial if you want.

LB7
03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Newsflash, if a team PUBLICLY mentions a player's name and the possibility of them joining, this means they are seriously considering if not seriously trying to get them.

Cuban mentioned Miller's name at one time and Pippen on another. but you can still be in denial if you want.
Pippen was never mentioned.

Flight3107
03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Pippen was NEVER mentioned, the ONLY guy that Donnie Nelson publicly mentioned that the Mavs were going after was Chris Webber. NEVER did Donnie ever mention bringing in Miller or Pippen.

LEONARD
03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5686/pvjjz5.jpg
I guess Pro's vs Joe's wasn't paying enough

I think he's on it again this Thursday...I know Couture is...

There is a difference between being in basketball shape and good shape. I know that Willis is in great shape for a normal person, but I doubt he is in basketball shape

I'm sure he could handle a 2-3 min stint here or there though...

You're right...the Mavs are struggling mightily... :cry

sandman
03-28-2007, 02:14 PM

The Mavs are 3-1 against the Rockets this year, with an average margin of over 12 points in those wins. The one loss? Second game of the season that started 0-4 with an average margin of defeat at 13 points. Doesn't matter if Yao was playing, because the Mavs were playing horrible to start the season. Last year the Mavs swept the Rockets 4-0, with an average margin of over 16 points. What part of 7-1 over the last two years by 14 points per game would not be considered "owned".

If your owner wants to sign an old Kevin Willis then more power to him. Just don't give silly pretenses that it's all about Yao. Last year in 05-06 in the three games he averaged 23/10, which were his season averages. In 04-05 he played in 4 games and averaged 15/9. Even this year when he scored 36 in the second game of the season, he only had 6 rebounds, so it's not like he dominated both ends of the floor.

mabber
03-28-2007, 02:52 PM
The Mavs are 3-1 against the Rockets this year, with an average margin of over 12 points in those wins. The one loss? Second game of the season that started 0-4 with an average margin of defeat at 13 points. Doesn't matter if Yao was playing, because the Mavs were playing horrible to start the season. Last year the Mavs swept the Rockets 4-0, with an average margin of over 16 points. What part of 7-1 over the last two years by 14 points per game would not be considered "owned".

If your owner wants to sign an old Kevin Willis then more power to him. Just don't give silly pretenses that it's all about Yao. Last year in 05-06 in the three games he averaged 23/10, which were his season averages. In 04-05 he played in 4 games and averaged 15/9. Even this year when he scored 36 in the second game of the season, he only had 6 rebounds, so it's not like he dominated both ends of the floor.

Ok, I missed one of the victories. It's tough to keep track of them all there have been so many :p:

I'm just repeating what I heard Donnie Nelson (GM) say on the radio in regards to Yao & Shaq so take it up with him if you think he's lying.

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:08 PM
lol at these little spurs fans thinking that any MINOR change to the roster is because the mavs need to worry about the spurs! this is fucking priceless blathering, keep it up bitches! anyway, how many spurs fans whined last month because the spurs front office didn't sign anyone? all this bitching and moaning about the roster all season long and now spurs fans are laughing at a possible THIRD string addition who will obviously be used as a THIRD FREAKIN' OPTION? you guys are too fucking funny.

NEWSALERT: there are other teams the mavs should consider and get ready for besides the spurs. we match up just fine with the spurs.

sandman
03-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Ok, I missed one of the victories. It's tough to keep track of them all there have been so many :p:

I'm just repeating what I heard Donnie Nelson (GM) say on the radio in regards to Yao & Shaq so take it up with him if you think he's lying.

Not saying he is lying. Just saying he may want to look at the stat sheets a bit closer. Maybe he should give Shawn Kemp a workout.

leemajors
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
lol at these little spurs fans thinking that any MINOR change to the roster is because the mavs need to worry about the spurs! this is fucking priceless blathering, keep it up bitches! anyway, how many spurs fans whined last month because the spurs front office didn't sign anyone? all this bitching and moaning about the roster all season long and now spurs fans are laughing at a possible THIRD string addition who will obviously be used as a THIRD FREAKIN' OPTION? you guys are too fucking funny.

NEWSALERT: there are other teams the mavs should consider and get ready for besides the spurs. we match up just fine with the spurs.

willis is going to be the mavs third option?

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Not saying he is lying. Just saying he may want to look at the stat sheets a bit closer. Maybe he should give Shawn Kemp a workout.

when it comes to defense, stat sheets don't always tell the whole story the way they do on offense, surely you know that :rolleyes

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
willis is going to be the mavs third option?

who knows and who cares? we have diop and damp and that's good enough for me at that position. it wasn't like mbenga would've done much more damage on either end and lately, diop has been developing the O game a bit more

mardigan
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM

You got a dirty mouth on you dont ya? Spur fans just want to jump on anything they can, especially if its a guy that was part of our 03 team. If this was Steve Smith they would still be doing the same thing. I doubt he makes the roster anyway.

leemajors
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
who knows and who cares? we have diop and damp and that's good enough for me at that position. it wasn't like mbenga would've done much more damage on either end and lately, diop has been developing the O game a bit more

i guess i'll have to be clearer to compete with jeffdrums - their third option on offense?!!?

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
You got a dirty mouth on you dont ya? Spur fans just want to jump on anything they can, especially if its a guy that was part of our 03 team. If this was Steve Smith they would still be doing the same thing. I doubt he makes the roster anyway.

:lol i just woke up from a long nap and i'm feeling friskier as the playoffs near... expect the smack to get worse but i've generally been *good* all year! :lol

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
i guess i'll have to be clearer to compete with jeffdrums - their third option on offense?!!?

hell no, none of our centers are our third options on O...we get giddy when they score ten points in a game!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
expect the smack to get worse but i've generally been *good* all year! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lmao:lmao

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lmao:lmao

oh look, it's lil' escuelas...actually, you're not little, my bad

mardigan
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
oh look, it's lil' escuelas...actually, you're not little, my bad
Did you just call someone fat? You are fiesty right now

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM

I believe Avery actually met Kemp during the season to determine if he wanted to give Kemp a workout (at least they were scheduled to meet). Not sure what transpired but I don't think they got as far as giving him a workout.

leemajors
03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I believe Avery actually met Kemp during the season to determine if he wanted to give Kemp a workout (at least they were scheduled to meet). Not sure what transpired but I don't think they got as far as giving him a workout.

they probably had lunch, and kemp ended up eating both plates.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
oh look, it's lil' escuelas...actually, you're not little, my badgood observation. the question is what do you have to hide, punky?

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
They should get him to design their uniforms being that he was a fashion design major.

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
they probably had lunch, and kemp ended up eating both plates.

:lol

monosylab1k
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM

You gotta think that a lot of these workouts happen because these guys are calling up Avery (alot of them had their heyday when Avery was still a player)...and Avery is just doing them a favor by giving them a workout...that way they can go to charlotte or memphis and say "Hey Avery Johnson and the Mavericks gave me a workout" which might incline those teams to give them a look-see as well.

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
You gotta think that a lot of these workouts happen because these guys are calling up Avery (alot of them had their heyday when Avery was still a player)...and Avery is just doing them a favor by giving them a workout...that way they can go to charlotte or memphis and say "Hey Avery Johnson and the Mavericks gave me a workout" which might incline those teams to give them a look-see as well.

There's probably a lot of truth to that.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I still dont understand how this is a sign of weakness. Its not like he already signed, and if he does, how much worse could he be when all he could do was foul and rebound in 03?

sandman
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
when it comes to defense, stat sheets don't always tell the whole story the way they do on offense, surely you know that :rolleyes

Surely you know that a 14 point average margin of victory over the last two years while going 7-1 against the Rockets dispells any untold part of the story that does not show up in the stat sheet. :rolleyes

Are Mavs fans still hung up on that first round 7-game series from a few years ago? I thought the Mavs had become a much better team since then. Lord knows the Rockets have not. I'm not understanding why everyone in MavNation is paying homage to the Rockets and Yao.

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Did you just call someone fat? You are fiesty right now

it's spursdynasty, he makes me rabid everytime i see his idiotic posts! anyway, viva's always talking smack and is like a magnet to anything mavs-related, he can take it

sandman
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I still dont understand how this is a sign of weakness. Its not like he already signed, and if he does, how much worse could he be when all he could do was foul and rebound in 03?

Them T-Rex arms and stone hard hands did not make him that great of a rebounder, to tell the truth.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Them T-Rex arms and stone hard hands did not make him that great of a rebounder, to tell the truth.
Oh I know, but he couldnt do anything else, I guess he kind of had a jump hook.

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
good observation. the question is what do you have to hide, punky?

hide? nothing at all. look for me in san antonio when the mavs play the spurs in the playoffs this year. i'll most likely be wearing a #5 pdiddy style jersey, screaming my head off and sitting next to a white dude sipping a large cup of beer

btw, i was just kidding, you look like some of my cousins!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
it's spursdynasty, he makes me rabid everytime i see his idiotic posts! anyway, viva's always talking smack and is like a magnet to anything mavs-related, he can take itwarranted smack, mind you. i do it to deflate mav "fans" heads, so they don't get too big. believe me, i do it everyday here at work.

dirk4mvp
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
cuz their other centers suck hard.

Mavs centers > Spurs centers

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Surely you know that a 14 point average margin of victory over the last two years while going 7-1 against the Rockets dispells any untold part of the story that does not show up in the stat sheet. :rolleyes

Are Mavs fans still hung up on that first round 7-game series from a few years ago? I thought the Mavs had become a much better team since then. Lord knows the Rockets have not. I'm not understanding why everyone in MavNation is paying homage to the Rockets and Yao.

I can't speak for all Mav fans but any team with both Yao & TMac (when healthy) garners my respect. I saw what TMac did to us in the 1st round of the playoffs (7 game series) 2 years ago and he scares me. While I don't think the Rockets would beat Dallas, I think if both TMac & Yao play well it would make for a 6-7 game series. Plus, the Rockets are starting to play well again (8-2 over last 10) so maybe they're starting to figure things out now that both TMac & Yao have been playing together for a few weeks.

ponky
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM

you may be right but i was thinking more of shaq than yao. i can still see the heat making the finals if wade comes back. an extra six fouls and a big body to at least try and wear down the big dude seems like an ok idea. anyway, i don't think it's really a big deal whether it pans out or not.

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:44 PM

He was in the league for too long to not be able to to at least a couple of things fairly well.

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
you may be right but i was thinking more of shaq than yao. i can still see the heat making the finals if wade comes back. an extra six fouls and a big body to at least try and wear down the big dude seems like an ok idea. anyway, i don't think it's really a big deal whether it pans out or not.

If Wade comes back at 70%+ I think they'll be in the finals again.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
He was in the league for too long to not be able to to at least a couple of things fairly well.
He was pretty f-ing bad that last year we had him. The only thing he did really well was scare people out of the lane

mabber
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
He was pretty f-ing bad that last year we had him. The only thing he did really well was scare people out of the lane

I have no doubt about that, but I thought y'all were talking about his abilities throughout his career.

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Mavs centers > Spurs centers

not during smallball

dirk4mvp
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
not during smallball

During small ball, it's as simple as Mavs > Spurs then.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I have no doubt about that, but I thought y'all were talking about his abilities throughout his career.
No, he was damn good back on the Hawks, but all this guy can do now is give yall 6 fouls, which is something yall will need

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2007, 03:54 PM

but their center's not so shutup

sandman
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Did anyone else get a sick feeling in the pit of their stomach when it was obvious that Willis was looking to take his shot. Unfortunately, he didn't have a go-to shot later in his career. But he was a great lifting partner for DRob.

leemajors
03-28-2007, 04:01 PM

seemed a dead heat last year.

sandman
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM

I agree that it is no big deal if Willis pans out, but it is worth the conversation around why the Mavs are starting to shop for bigs to begin the playoffs. It's not like they are admitting that they are not built for playoff tempo basketball, but they are recognizing a big risk that they have - not enough bigs. Just curious as to why they are looking for retreads when they could have been more active at the trade deadline. Even if they are simply looking for 6 extra fouls, whomever they bring in at this stage will have the Mavs playing 4-on-5 on the offensive side whenever the big body is on the floor. That liability may outweigh the advantage of the additional fouls.

mabber
03-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree that it is no big deal if Willis pans out, but it is worth the conversation around why the Mavs are starting to shop for bigs to begin the playoffs. It's not like they are admitting that they are not built for playoff tempo basketball, but they are recognizing a big risk that they have - not enough bigs. Just curious as to why they are looking for retreads when they could have been more active at the trade deadline. Even if they are simply looking for 6 extra fouls, whomever they bring in at this stage will have the Mavs playing 4-on-5 on the offensive side whenever the big body is on the floor. That liability may outweigh the advantage of the additional fouls.

I believe they were trying to get Dale Davis prior to the trade deadline but it didn't work out.

They're basically playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side when Diop is in the game anyway (although he's made a few hoops lately).

sandman
03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I believe they were trying to get Dale Davis prior to the trade deadline but it didn't work out.

They're basically playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side when Diop is in the game anyway (although he's made a few hoops lately).

Not sure why Detriot would not have done that. Not like they don't have four other guys in their rotation who are 6'9"-6'11" PF/C type players.

mabber
03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Not sure why Detriot would not have done that. Not like they don't have four other guys in their rotation who are 6'9"-6'11" PF/C type players.

Not sure what they were asking for Davis (or who the Mavs were offering).

Dirk Nowitzki
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
but their center's not so shutup

Wait wait let me get this straight. Are you saying that Oberto/Elson is better then Dampier/Diop?? :lmao :lmao :drunk :drunk :drunk Better at what exactly? Diop and Damp are better rebounders/paint cloggers then Beef Jerkey boy and "Dirk stopper".

mardigan
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
When Elson is playing good, he is as good as either of those guys. The problem is he plays good 1 out of 5 or 6 games.

StylisticS
03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
When Elson is playing good, he is as good as either of those guys. The problem is he plays good 1 out of 5 or 6 games.
I was under the assumption that he was becoming more consistant on the offense now. I don't know. I haven't watched the Spurs that much in the last few weeks.

J.T.
03-28-2007, 09:55 PM

A monumental failure is being minutes away from putting the Heat into a deficit only the Boston Red Sox have come back from. The Mavs honestly have nothing to be afraid of right now. They have the best record in the league and no sign of cooling off. If SA plays midget ball with them, their chances of winning the series improve greatly. This just looks like they're trying to get someone that Tim Duncan can foul out of the game before their other two, better centers.

It's nothing like they're trying to steal a part of the Spurs. If one of our guys hit free agency and they went after him like kids chasing the ice cream truck, you'd have a case. Plus this is Kevin Willis we're talking about. If we play the Mavs and it went seven games again, he probably wouldn't be able to shake off the rust by the time the buzzer went off in the last game. WGAF?

Mavschick
03-28-2007, 11:39 PM
FA's Antonio Davis, Van Horn, Robert Traylor, Mamadou N'Diaye, Curtis Borchardt, Marcus Fizer, Clarence Weatherspoon etc. are all big men less than 44 still floating around out there, and we're looking at Willis? WTF?

Shank
03-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Retard baby monkeys with no eyes and no ears > Mavs centers tonight v. Milwaukee

stretch
03-28-2007, 11:54 PM
FA's Antonio Davis, Van Horn, Robert Traylor, Mamadou N'Diaye, Curtis Borchardt, Marcus Fizer, Clarence Weatherspoon etc. are all big men less than 44 still floating around out there, and we're looking at Willis? WTF?
please... no Keith Van Suck... his mere presence will cost us a championship. his simply being on the team will cause us to lose our defensive focus and rebounding abilities. i would rather have Shawn Bradley than KVH.

Bruno
03-29-2007, 12:00 AM

Borchardt, Fizer, N'Diaye and Traylor aren't FAs.
And I don't know if Davis wants to play again.

leemajors
03-29-2007, 12:26 AM
please... no Keith Van Suck... his mere presence will cost us a championship. his simply being on the team will cause us to lose our defensive focus and rebounding abilities. i would rather have Shawn Bradley than KVH.

KVH was a big factor in the "passing of the torch" you referred to yesterday.

Amarelooms
03-29-2007, 08:05 AM

You my friend are a retard...KVH actually helped the Mavs beat the Spurs. If we have a spot might as well sign his ass....we don;t need Ager taking up a spot dude is worthless :elephant

stretch
03-29-2007, 08:51 AM
You my friend are a retard...KVH actually helped the Mavs beat the Spurs. If we have a spot might as well sign his ass....we don;t need Ager taking up a spot dude is worthless :elephant
from what i remember, every time he went into the game, other teams went on runs.

id much rather see Pops play more minutes. Or even Kevin Willis.

stretch
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
KVH was a big factor in the "passing of the torch" you referred to yesterday.
?

im not sure what you are referring to in the "passing of the torch".

leemajors
03-29-2007, 09:18 AM
?

im not sure what you are referring to in the "passing of the torch".

sorry, that was BUMP who said that.

mardigan
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Veteran forward looking to fill vacant roster spotESPN.com news services

The Dallas Mavericks were scheduled to audition veteran forward Kevin Willis for the first of two workouts Thursday in an attempt to fill a vacant roster spot, according to a published report.

Willis

Mavs coach Avery Johnson told the Dallas Morning News that he has been looking to add another big man to the roster but concedes there is a possibility he won't sign anybody at all.

"Right now, it's kind of the best available person," Johnson told the newspaper. "I'm real leery about adding anybody right now. But if there's something that makes sense, we'll do it. But it's got to really make sense for us."

Willis, 44, won his first NBA championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003 where his locker room leadership, energy off the bench, defense, and physical play proved invaluable.

The two-day audition, which will end with Friday's workout, stemmed from a chance meeting between the 7-foot jouneyman and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban during All-Star weekend in Las vegas.

"I ran into Mark at All-Star weekend and had a few words," Willis told the newspaper. "The next thing I know, I get a call from Rolando [Blackman] and it kind of went from there. I started doing some shooting and running just in case I got a call. And here I am.

"They're taking it extremely serious and I'm taking it serious. I don't want to come in and be any kind of distraction. I just want to come in and enhance. Whatever I got to do to enhance it and make it better, I'm here to do that.''

A veteran of 20 NBA seasons, Willis has averaged 12.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game in his career, and would be the oldest active player in the league if signed.

Willis did not play in 2005-06.

Trainwreck2100
03-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Wait wait let me get this straight. Are you saying that Oberto/Elson is better then Dampier/Diop?? :lmao :lmao :drunk :drunk :drunk Better at what exactly? Diop and Damp are better rebounders/paint cloggers then Beef Jerkey boy and "Dirk stopper".

I never said that

Shank
03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Willis could be in uniform as soon as Friday game for the game v. NY.

sandman
03-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Sweet. He will be dropping passes and bobbling rebounds out of bounds in no time.

LEONARD
03-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Source? ;) :lol

Shank
03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Source? ;) :lol

Art Garcia, actually.

If he does play, I doubt it's more than 2 minutes. But word is he looked really good and in very good shape after his workout today. If he's not picked up, he at least has a 2nd workout scheduled for Friday afternoon.

LEONARD
03-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Art Garcia, actually.

If he does play, I doubt it's more than 2 minutes. But word is he looked really good and in very good shape after his workout today. If he's not picked up, he at least has a 2nd workout scheduled for Friday afternoon.

Cool...

He was on Pro's vs Joe's again last night. He looks like a beast at least. And he showed good hands catching passes from Randall Cunningham :lol

mabber
03-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Willis may find a way with Mavs

11:51 PM CDT on Thursday, March 29, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

When he "retired" after the 2004-05 NBA season, Kevin Willis never filed the formal papers with the league.

He figured there was a chance his departure might not be permanent.

"My brother kept saying it was over," Willis said Thursday after a workout with the Mavericks. "But I kept telling him something might happen."

Willis will go through the second of two workouts with the Mavericks today to determine if the club wants to sign him as a third center for the playoffs.

Willis worked out for more than an hour Thursday and emerged with a good sweat and positive feeling about the chances of a 44-year-old being able to contribute to a championship team.

"I haven't played," Willis said, "but if I get a couple pints of oxygen, I'll be all right."

Actually, the 7-footer was one of the fittest players in the NBA for his two-decade career. He was a key reserve on San Antonio's championship team in 2003 and envisions a similar role with the Mavericks if he signs.

"Very similar," he said. "I just don't anticipate playing as much as I did in San Antonio. But a lot of things that I brought to that locker room and that team, I expect to do here, if I'm here."

If Willis signs with the Mavs, he will become the oldest active player in NBA history at 44. Robert Parish ended his career at 43.

Avery Johnson watched the workout Thursday, which was conducted mostly by Popeye Jones.

Johnson said there is a good chance Willis will be a Maverick in the next few days.

LOUIS DELUCA / DMN
Kevin Willis and the Spurs ousted Steve Nash and Dallas in the 2002-03 Western Conference finals. "I'd say it's 50-50, but he had a really good workout," Johnson said. "We'll see what happens."

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson added: "Right now, he's the best candidate available. He's obviously in great shape, although it would take him some time to get in basketball shape."

Willis has spent the last year and a half relaxing at his home in Atlanta and running his clothing business, Willis & Walker, which deals in high-end sports clothes, mostly denim.

He sells a lot of jeans to big and tall shops, and many NBA players wear his gear.

A chance meeting with Mark Cuban in Las Vegas at All-Star weekend was the genesis of Willis getting an audition with the Mavericks.

"I ran into Mark at All-Star weekend and had a few words," Willis said. "The next thing I know, I get a call from Rolando [Blackman], and it kind of went from there. I started doing some shooting and running just in case I got a call. And here I am."

Willis' conditioning is not in question. It will be the Mavericks' call as to whether they believe he can be used for three to five minutes in an emergency situation if they get matched up against a big center in the playoffs like Yao Ming.

"I just got to get my timing back, get a few practices under my belt and get used to banging bodies again and get the conditioning up to about 110 percent, because these guys are on a mission," Willis said.

"They're taking it extremely serious, and I'm taking it serious. I don't want to come in and be any kind of distraction. I just want to come in and enhance. Whatever I got to do to enhance it and make it better, I'm here to do that."

Willis was a superior locker-room presence during his NBA career, particularly in San Antonio, where he played for then-Spurs assistant coach Joe Prunty, now an aide to Johnson.

"It's in the real early stages right now," Willis said of the flirtation with the Mavs. "Avery and I played together in Denver, so he knows me, and I know him. I know what he expects if I do come."