PDA

View Full Version : Officials: Gillispie will remain head coach at A&M

RonMexico
03-28-2007, 10:54 AM
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4668232.html

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Texas A&M basketball coach Billy Gillispie will remain head coach of the basketball program he has turned into a national power, three high-ranking officials close to and within the A&M system have confirmed.

Gillispie apparently will receive a new contract that will pay him in the neighborhood of $2 million a year, guarantees added to the deal that runs through 2012 and construction on the new A&M basketball facility will begin on Monday.

"The fence will go up (at the construction site) and they'll get it rolling," one official said of the 50,000-square-foot, $20 million facility that will include practice areas for men's and women's basketball, offices and training areas.

After several meetings with A&M athletic director Bill Byrne, Gillispie received notice today that the A&M Board of Regents will rubber-stamp the contract and expedite the start of construction on the facility.

Gillispie privately has given Byrne assurances that he will not accept an offer from the University of Arkansas to replace fired coach Stan Heath, nor will he pursue any other available job openings.

The announcement should become official after the A&M regents meet Thursday and Friday.

Delays in the start of construction for the facility arrived after one of the lead architects died, and because of turnover in the A&M system facility construction administration.

The A&M regents also are expected to approve general contractor SpawGlass as the new construction manager for the project and has received assurances that the facility will be completed on time.

In three seasons at A&M, Gillispie has compiled a record of 70-26, carrying the once-lowly program to an NIT bid his first season and back-to-back berths in the NCAA Tournament the past two years, including an appearance in the Sweet 16 this season.

Doug Collins
03-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Yay!!!!

Brutalis
03-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Today on ESPN Radio they said Frank Broyles hasn't even been allowed to talk to BG yet..

Doug Collins
03-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Today on ESPN Radio they said Frank Broyles hasn't even been allowed to talk to BG yet..

Serves him right :p:

mookie2001
03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
is franchione still making more?

RonMexico
03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
is franchione still making more?

If you count the extra income he receives from whoring out his daughters... and payments from Mike Leach and Bob Stoops in an agreement that he never beats them.

Mr Dio
03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow, so BG didn't even make the cut, didn't get an offer or both?

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 06:10 PM

i'd say

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 06:12 PM

i'd say both kentucky and arkansas wanted him, but that doesn't mean he was going anywhere. like i said all along, he was staying at A&M...A&M wasn't going to let him leave.

IcemanCometh
03-28-2007, 06:39 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Horny04/DMN-small.jpg

IcemanCometh
03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Gillispie apparently has not officially confirmed to athletic director Bill Byrne or the regents that he will accept a new contract that will pay him in the neighborhood of $2 million a year, including guarantees added to the deal that runs through 2012. But regents and athletic department officials feel confident the new deal, and construction on the new A&M basketball facility scheduled to begin Monday, are the guarantees Gillispie was pursuing.

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Gillispie apparently has not officially confirmed to athletic director Bill Byrne or the regents that he will accept a new contract that will pay him in the neighborhood of $2 million a year, including guarantees added to the deal that runs through 2012. But regents and athletic department officials feel confident the new deal, and construction on the new A&M basketball facility scheduled to begin Monday, are the guarantees Gillispie was pursuing.

sounds about right, he's not going anywhere.

Kermit
03-29-2007, 09:56 PM
i wouldn't count my chickens just yet.

IcemanCometh
03-29-2007, 11:31 PM
this is funny, Aggy starting to turn on Gillespie

Willinsa
03-30-2007, 01:16 PM
It's a joke aggy pays fraudchoney 3mil a year to get his ass handed to him in every bowl game he coaches, and Gillespie has one of the best years in basketball and he is offered $1.75 mil?

Then aggies wonder why everyone thinks they are idiots.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Idiots are people who post about contracts without knowing facts.

Like Fran only gets paid 2.1 million, and Billy's *base* salary is 1.75 million. With any kind of decent run to the post-season, Billy will be banking 2 million.

And with Billy getting this kind of money, you can pretty much count on this fall being a put up or shut up season for Fran.

Kermit
03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
my vote's on shut up.

LaMarcus Bryant
03-30-2007, 05:59 PM
it's funny cuz aggies would have trouble studying in poultry science class if gillispie had cut and run