PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Manu is all money — but also an All-Star?

Kori Ellis
11-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Buck Harvey: Manu is all money — but also an All-Star?
Web Posted: 11/19/2004 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111904.1C.COLBKNharvey.6e7efb9c.html

San Antonio Express-News

PHILADELPHIA — Just as Malik Rose pressed with a new contract, Tony Parker does now.

When Parker went scoreless Thursday night — shooting only twice more than Peter Holt did — the zero was linked to the zeroes on his contract.

But Manu Ginobili got his long-term deal last summer, too, and he still plays as he always has. He had a hand in 11-consecutive points in the final minutes against the 76ers, twice getting the ball to Tim Duncan as few can.

And when Ginobili had finished again as winners do — along with 17 points and nine assists — Holt had to wonder if This Investment is still growing.

Is Ginobili good enough to be an All-Star?

Ginobili says it isn't much of a goal, and he also understands why his selection is unlikely. The NBA released its All-Star ballots Thursday, and among the other backcourt candidates in the Western Conference are Ray Allen, Mike Bibby, Kobe Bryant, Sam Cassell, Tracy McGrady and Steve Nash.

These are players with big stats and bigger reputations. Won't Ginobili have to win another few titles before his status would rise high enough?

"I hope you're wrong," coach Gregg Popovich said. "I'm not saying he's an All-Star, but he's playing as well right now as any two guard except for Allen. I hope the more we go along, the more people will notice everything he does."

Popovich would also like referees to notice. He thinks Ginobili gets more respect than he did a year ago, but still not enough.

Fans vote for the All-Star starters, and the coaches vote for the backups. "Trust me," said guard Brent Barry. "Every coach who is trying to figure out how to deal with him will have reason to put him on the team."

Philadelphia's Jim O'Brien can't vote for Western Conference players, but he might write in Ginobili anyway. Ginobili set up Bruce Bowen for a 3-pointer with about three minutes left, then threw a left-handed bullet to Duncan to create a layup. Ginobili followed with a cut, and Duncan found him for a foul and two free throws.

Ginobili paid back Duncan with a clever post pass that had to be precise. And then came what Barry called "the key play of the game." With the shot clock down, Ginobili up-faked a young Sixer, drawing a foul. "Those," said Barry, "are the things that win."

It's what Ginobili does, which is why some in the league thought the Spurs were lucky last summer during negotiations. One scout, looking beyond reputations, thought Ginobili deserved a near-max contract.

So, why didn't the bidding go higher? The same traditional standards that select All-Star teams also set the price.

That's why Steve Francis was a two-time starter in the West, yet was known for getting brainlock in Houston when it mattered. Ginobili, instead, is at his best then.

Nothing bothers Ginobili, and the same can't be said of Parker. Stephon Marbury has gotten into his head in the past, and last spring the Lakers did.

Now he presses while trying to live up to his contract. It's the best of intentions; he wants to repay the trust that Popovich had in him during negotiations and he wants to show everyone else he's worth the money.

Normally a player would shoot to prove something. But Parker, perhaps determined not to fail, instead chose to pass on one end and chase Allen Iverson on the other.

Ginobili thinks Parker is merely going through the usual ups-and-downs of the NBA season, and he's right. When Parker begins to play as he did at the end of last season, he will get his own All-Star comparisons. That change could begin as early as tonight when Parker sprints at Gary Payton again, this time in Boston.

Still, when asked if a contract should weigh on someone, Ginobili shook his head. "I think it would be the opposite," he said.

His reasoning makes sense. Once a franchise puts trust in you, you should feel free.

Ginobili would likely feel free no matter. He won't always succeed, and he takes risks that make Popovich squirm. But Ginobili does everything without consideration for the opposition, or what a game means, or what people think about him.

All-Stars are often that way.

Phenomanul
11-19-2004, 08:44 AM
good read....

smeagol
11-19-2004, 09:01 AM
"I'm not saying he's an All-Star, but he's playing as well right now as any two guard except for Allen. I hope the more we go along, the more people will notice everything he does."
Talking about a guy who supposedly takes away years from his life when he plays . . . that's an awfully nice compliment.

One of the things I like abut Manu this season is that when some part of his game is not working (his scoring) he puts up good numbers elsewhere (assists).

TwoHandJam
11-19-2004, 10:28 AM
One of the things I like abut Manu this season is that when some part of his game is not working (his scoring) he puts up good numbers elsewhere (assists).Yes, so we have to give Parker credit where it's due then. He put up nice rebounding and assist number and played good D even though he had a terrible scoring night. That's not something he's done in the past. Teams are keying on his penetration now more than ever and he's taking time to adjust to all the extra attention.

Useruser666
11-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Parker may have had zero points but it wasn't on 0-10 shooting. Rose was 1-6 which technically worse.

GoSpurs21
11-19-2004, 12:24 PM
^^^
agreed. I dont think Tony focused on scoring tonight, but what he did focus on was successful. I have no problem with his effort.

TMTTRIO
11-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Fans vote for the All-Star starters, and the coaches vote for the backups. "Trust me," said guard Brent Barry. "Every coach who is trying to figure out how to deal with him will have reason to put him on the team."

I was thinking the same thing :elephant

timvp
11-19-2004, 03:23 PM
I think Manu is an all-star game lock. The NBA will want the gold medal winner who fills the highlight reel every night in that showcase game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Not only that but the guy fills the highlight reel when teams are actually trying to guard him. Imagine what he could do in the All Star when everyone takes a night off from defending the hoop.

Sadly I don't think he'll get voted in. While I think anyone who has played against him would probably cast a vote for him, the reality is that the west has too many talented guards with better name recognition. With any luck the Spurs will have the best record at the break and Pop select him.

ALVAREZ6
11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I think Ginobili truly should be an all-star.
But the only doubt in my mind is that most of the people voting in the US, will probably not pick him because they aren't true NBA fans, and they arent updated as muc has we are. We all know what Ginobili can do. But, do think about the support that Ginobili will get around the world. The gold medal always helps.
I will guarantee you that everyone in Argentina will vote for him everyday. And there are many latino countries.

Whichever way it ends, i think he deserves to be an all - star, he's shown it.

Medvedenko
11-19-2004, 05:08 PM
It's not happening....sorry guys..Kobe will start, and Ray Ray will be his back-up. Also Steve Nash will make the team. Gino is a hell of a player, but I don't believe he'll make the cut, but that guy thinks he's behind Allen at the 2, and please don't get me started on Gino>Kobe BS.

Phenomanul
11-19-2004, 05:14 PM
I will guarantee you that everyone in Argentina will vote for him everyday. And there are many latino countries.

I think that is the problem.... I don't think enough of them are voting.... If Argentina wants to see their stud showcased in that game then their media needs to announce the fact that they can vote for him daily...

Shaolin-Style
11-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah if the Argentina population voted for him daily he'd have a good run at being in it.

Unfortunetly- Tmac+Kobe+Nash/Rayray, just don't see manu slipping in