PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Cast Has Spurs Ready for Post-Season

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
My, how things have changed. Four or five weeks ago, many fans and sports journalists alike were questioning “We all know the Spurs’ Big 3 will be there, but do the Spurs have a strong enough supporting cast to compete for a championship this year?” I was a very valid concern at the time, but I don’t think anyone’s asking that question any longer… or at least they shouldn’t.

Brent Barry has been doing everything the Spurs envisioned when they brought him here a couple years ago. He’s been active, he’s been smart, and of course, he’s been knocking down 3’s and free-throws with machine-like precision. To top it all off, he’s EVEN PLAYING DEFENSE!

Speaking of defense, Francisco Elson has developed nicely on that end of the floor. He’s not exactly David Robinson, but opposing players have definitely learned to respect his shot blocking ability. He’s providing that secondary 7-foot presence in the paint without slowing the Spurs down in transition.

Jacque Vaughn has been a pleasant surprise at the backup point. He’s heady, he’s responsible with the basketball, plays solid “D”, and is shooting .500% (FG%) in the month of March.

Bruce Bowen seems to have finally rediscovered his shot, which is much more important to the Spurs offense than most people would think. Bowen is usually the most likely guy on the floor to be left with an open look as defenses scramble to cover more dangerous San Antonio shooters and slashers. It's important that those wide open opportunities are converted, which he is once again doing. And his defense, politely questioned by Popovich earlier in the season, now seems as pesky as ever.

And we shouldn’t forget the energy Matt Bonner has been bringing to the table. If he can find some more minutes in the Spurs’ final few weeks of regular season play, he may be able to fine-tune his 3-point shot before the playoffs.

But the biggest story of late in regard to the Spurs supporting cast has been the elevated play of Michael Finley. Since he shares time with Barry and of course Ginobili and Bowen, Finley plays only 20-22 minutes per game… but when he’s on the floor, he’s beginning to look like a legitimate weapon as dangerous as any 6th man in the league (save Manu Ginobili). Here’s a look at what Finley has done over the past month, as compared to the season averages of Leandro Barbosa, who many consider the favorite for the 6th man award:

MICHAEL FINLEY’S MARCH

PER 48 MINUTES in March:

Michael Finley - 25 pts / 5 reb / FG-46% / FT-86% / 3pt-37%

Barbosa (season avg.)- 26 pts / 4 reb / FG-47% / FT-84% / 3pt-42%

PER 32.5 MINUTES (which is the playing time Barbosa has averaged per game):

Michael Finley - 17 pts / 3 reb

Leandro Barbosa - 18 pts / 3 reb

Many are quick point out that per-minute averages don’t mean anything. I agree that in many cases, they don’t. If the sample size that you’re projecting out to 48 minutes is too small, it can skew the reality of that player’s performance. But I don’t believe that’s the case with Michael Finley. He’s proven what he can do in 30-plus minutes per game.

Some will say “yeah, but Finley couldn’t handle 30-plus min. per game anymore. I don’t buy that for a second. Finley is 33, not 43. He’s in great shape and is a disciplined, hard working player. The only reason Finley’s playing 20-22 minutes instead of 30, is that Brent Barry is also playing quite well. The Spurs have 4 quality players for the 2/3 positions on the floor and there are only so many minutes to go around. I’m not suggesting that Finley is or should be considered a 6th man award candidate. I’m simply pointing out that he’s finally playing like one.

The only question left in regard to support cast now is… have we seen the last of Big Shot Rob, or can he still elevate his game in the post-season as he has in the past. But if that’s the only question, the Spurs should feel good about their chances.

Looks like it’s time to wrap up the exhibition games that are the regular NBA season, and get the real season underway! The Spurs are ready.

AFBlue
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Quality post Kent. :tu

While I still think the supporting cast is made up of too many "shooters" and not enough "scorers", it helps to have those shooters hitting their strides at this point in the season. And since the makeup of this team isn't going to change in the next few months, I'm hoping and praying these guys continue to knock down shots when called upon...because that'll make or break this season.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Quality post Kent. :tu

While I still think the supporting cast is made up of too many "shooters" and not enough "scorers", it helps to have those shooters hitting their strides at this point in the season. And since the makeup of this team isn't going to change in the next few months, I'm hoping and praying these guys continue to knock down shots when called upon...because that'll make or break this season.

That's a good point about shooters vs. scorers. But that's why I like having Ginobili coming off the bench. If we have either Ginobili or Parker on the floor at all times, and Duncan on the floor with one or both of them most of the time (especially in the post-season when his minutes will go up)... we should have plenty of ability to attack the paint and give our perimeter guys some shots.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
On the Michael Finley topic... I should add that Finley is still something of a scorer. When he's on, he can create his own shot. He doesn't just run to an open spot on the floor and wait for a pass.

Also, he is very, very clutch. That of course matters a great deal in the post-season.

AFBlue
03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
On the Michael Finley topic... I should add that Finley is still something of a scorer. When he's on, he can create his own shot. He doesn't just run to an open spot on the floor and wait for a pass.

Also, he is very, very clutch. That of course matters a great deal in the post-season.

I'd disagree that Fin is a scorer. He gets most of his shots coming off screens or on set 3s. I would actually counter that other than the big 3, Brent Barry is the player likely to slash into the lane the most....which isn't half bad, because at least he can handle. I cringe every time Bowen puts the ball on the floor and looks to drive.

mardigan
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Nice post

jaespur21
03-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Like Phat Tony said....whether or not our shooters continue to knock down shots will make or break this championship run. cause when we dont hit our j's then everything gets put on timmys shoulder and the triple teams come quickly

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I'd disagree that Fin is a scorer. He gets most of his shots coming off screens or on set 3s. I would actually counter that other than the big 3, Brent Barry is the player likely to slash into the lane the most....which isn't half bad, because at least he can handle. I cringe every time Bowen puts the ball on the floor and looks to drive.

I'm not saying he's a big time scorer. But he does still have that little turnaround-fadeaway mid-range jumper that he can create for himself. When he's on, he drops that shot comfortably.

thispego
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
finley becomes a scorer when he gets hot during games. He knocks down a few jumpers, builds confidence, then can create from almost anywhere. Especially when has has a less experienced player on him

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-29-2007, 04:03 PM
finley becomes a scorer when he gets hot during games. He knocks down a few jumpers, builds confidence, then can create from almost anywhere. Especially when has has a less experienced player on him

Yeah! What he said! :clap