PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Sixers Nov. 18 - Grades

timvp
11-19-2004, 03:08 AM
Tim Duncan
In a very MVP-like outing, Duncan scored a season-high 34 points Thursday night against the Philadelphia 76ers. When the Spurs needed a hoop, Duncan delivered with an array of post moves and spinning jumpers. He finished 13-27 from the field and 8-13 at the line, and also pulled down 13 of the team’s 50 rebounds. His defense was equally as spectacular, limiting the 76ers’ starting frontcourt to 5-19 shooting from the floor.
GRADE: 95
SEASON: 88

Bruce Bowen
Facing a multitude of offensive assignments, Bowen’s defense was up to the task. At different moments in the game, Bowen was matched up against Allen Iverson, Willie Green, Andre Iguodala and Kyle Korver. Perhaps his most important assignment was slowing down Korver, who carved up the Spurs for 17 points on 7-11 shooting in the game’s first three quarters. With Bowen draped all over him in the final stanza, Korver didn’t score a point and only got off one shot – which was blocked by Bowen.
GRADE: 89
SEASON: 84.6

Rasho Nesterovic
In his 90th regular season game as a Spur, Nesterovic notched his best all-around effort. Scoring ten points in the decisive fourth quarter, the Slovenian center knocked down three jumpers in a row to keep the Spurs in the game. For the game, Nesterovic finished with 16 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in 37 minutes. After a full season and a playoff run with the team, he is looking comfortable and confident in his abilities.
GRADE: 98
SEASON: 87.5

Manu Ginobili
Another day at the office and another jam-packed stat sheet for Ginobili. In 32 minutes, he totaled 17 points, nine assists, four rebounds, two steals and a block. As the Spurs were fighting to win the game, Ginobili came up huge as he had a hand in 11 consecutive fourth quarter points. With the All-Star ballots becoming available on Thursday, he did nothing to dissuade the voters.
GRADE: 93
SEASON: 93

Tony Parker
Popovich has asked Parker to look for his teammates and to make running the team a priority, but I don’t think he wants Parker to go scoreless like he did against the Sixers. Missing both of his field goal attempts and both of his free throws, Parker seemed hesitant and unsure in his jumper. Defensively though, he made up for it. In an inspired performance against Iverson, Parker chased him around the court and limited him to 24 points on 8-24 shooting from the field.
GRADE: 84
SEASON: 78.8

Brent Barry
Barry started the game by missing his first six shots, reviving playoff images of the departed Hedo Turkoglu. But instead of backing down, Barry continued to fire and hit his final two shots. He looked uncertain of himself through much of the first three quarters, as he rushed some shots and passed up others. However as the pressure mounted, Barry responded. He also chipped in with three rebounds and four assists to go along with his five points.
GRADE: 78
SEASON: 86.9

Beno Udrih
With Parker in foul trouble as he tracked down Iverson, Udrih played 15 key minutes for the Spurs. While his defense against Iverson was sub par at best, he did a fine job of getting the Spurs into their offensive sets. He hit two of his four shots and seemed more aggressive with his drives to the basket and his passing. However he only has one assist in his last six games, which is unacceptable for a point guard.
GRADE: 79
SEASON: 79

Malik Rose
Back home in Philadelphia, Rose didn’t have the homecoming he’d have hope for. He missed a variety of jumpers, culminating in a 1-6 shooting day. He did grab four rebounds in 12 minutes but it was obvious that he was pressing.
GRADE: 76
SEASON: 84

Robert Horry
In 11 minutes off the bench, Horry played effectively. He scored four points, pulled down a pair of rebounds and blocked a shot. His energy level has been much better in the last couple games.
GRADE: 87
SEASON: 82.9

Devin Brown
Brown played seven uneventful minutes as his only statistic of note was a steal. While he’s not playing many minutes currently, the Spurs need him to stay ready because he’s one tweak of an ankle away from major minutes.
GRADE: 82
SEASON: 82

Mr. Body
11-19-2004, 03:19 AM
Nesterovic's clutch 4th quarter play has helped win two games so far (the other, with clutch offensive rebound tap-outs, was against Miami, I believe). For this poster and much of the board, I'm sure, this was wholly unexpected. Let us for the season remainder remember at least one W comes from him. Who saw him as a difference maker?

I'm glad to see Parker's props. I don't expect him to put together complete, consistent games for a couple years yet, but clearly he focused on defending Iverson, as he did Marbury two nights ago. Both times he came out looking very good. Could point guard stop being one of the weak points in the defense?

timvp
11-19-2004, 03:26 AM
I think so, Mr. Body. Parker's defense is a lot better this season. The last two games he's really locked down Marbury and Iverson. With his added strength, he can body them up (no pun intended:)) and not let them get easy position.

If Parker turns into an above average defender ... watch out :hat

whottt
11-19-2004, 04:20 AM
LOL Parker is the ultimate project...we want him to score like Isaiah, pass like Stockton, defend like Bruce and lead like Kidd. Poor Tony.

I disagree with your grade of Barry...those two shots he hit were huge baskets...I'd say they were just as important as Rasho's...and more importantly he revealed yet another weapon in his arsenal...a mid range J..skillwise Barry is like Jax, Kerr and Mercer all rollled into 1...even his D has been very nice......is there any weakness in Barry's game?

Well I noticed one....he, like Manu, like Vinny D, like a lot of guards in the Spurs past, doesn't seem to like wide open 3 pointers...he's not used to them or something. Jax wasn't that good of a shooter when he had a guy in his face...but when he was wide open he was deadly. I hope Barry gets used to the wide open J's he is going to get on this team. I really think it's a mental thing for a lot of guys...we need somone on this team that can hit the easy ones...

Solid D
11-19-2004, 08:52 AM
As the Spurs were fighting to win the game, Ginobili came up huge as he had a hand in 11 consecutive fourth quarter points. With the All-Star ballots becoming available on Thursday, he did nothing to dissuade the voters.

Excellent observation, timvp. As the Spurs did last season, even moreso this season the Spurs are putting the ball in Manu's hands in the 4th quarter. Good things happen. Teams can't foul him when he's got the ball because he is a good FT shooter and his recognition is where he really shines. That skip pass from sideline to sideline to Bowen for the three was killer.

smeagol
11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Nice analysis as usual, Timvp.

Last night's game was tough and up to the end of the tird quarter, it could have gone either way.

TD's game was superb, Manu had a nice all-around game (two nights in a row with nine assists: not to shabby), Barry and Bowen did well too and TP had a weird game, only shooting twice, but playing solid D.

The guy I really liked yesterday was Rasho. His three mid-range jumpers in a row were a thing of beauty, but what I really liked was his rebounding, specially a couple of key offensive rebounds towards the end of the game.

Hey MB, anything to add on Rasho's performance?

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Man, the grade inflation here is worse than at UTSA.

Nikos
11-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Take a stab at it Chump.

What would your grades be?

spurster
11-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Beno sucked.

he did a fine job of getting the Spurs into their offensive sets
High praise indeed.

Nikos
11-19-2004, 01:35 PM
What would your grades be Spurster?

johnny00
11-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Great analysis Timvp, good thought process and objective observations, keep it up. Now if people could elaborate on thier points rather than offer two word critiques....

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 06:27 PM
There's no way I could give Tony a B for this game. We can crow about his D but the simple fact is that it's his aggressiveness on offense that makes the big difference in his matchups. That was especially true against Marbury and he needs to bring that against scoring threats like Iverson too. One and a half shots (that last one can't even count) won't cut it.

And Malik can only get an F for this game, which is a real shame considering he brought exactly what was needed for an EC game against the Knicks, fouls nonwithstanding. Corliss completely bullied him in the paint and Malik forced his offense trying to get even in front of his friends, grinding the Spurs' ball movement to a halt.

timvp
11-19-2004, 06:31 PM
There's no way I could give Tony a B for this game. We can crow about his D but the simple fact is that it's his aggressiveness on offense that makes the big difference in his matchups. That was especially true against Marbury and he needs to bring that against scoring threats like Iverson too. One and a half shots (that last one can't even count) won't cut it.

He owned Iverson on defense. Iverson finished 8-24 from the field and of those 8, at least half were against Beno. Maybe more.

You'd rather him go for 20 but let Iverson put up his customary 40? Chasing around Iverson leaves little energy for offense. Parker's performance against Iverson was the best any Spur has guarded him in Philadelphia ... ever. That deserves some credit.

And that's not even getting to his great work on the boards. Those weren't gimme rebounds ... he had to fight for the majority of those.

SequSpur
11-19-2004, 06:31 PM
The Spurs were outscored by 22 when Beno was in the game. He should be waived immediately.

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Chasing around Iverson leaves little energy for offense.He can shoot more than twice. Why not make Iverson work on D rather than let him work the lanes all night?

spursfaninla
11-19-2004, 07:54 PM
I find it interesting to see that tony had the greatest +/- on the team at +30! Duncan had +20...

However, they did have Parker guard that sf when bowen guarded AI, and that was NOT good. Parker could not stop his jump shot over him, nor his posting up. I thought that was an obviously bad defensive strategy...

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah, ultimately I can't argue with +30 -- but I don't see us winning it all with Tony taking 2 shots per game.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 08:59 PM
The plus-30 you can't argue with.

But people are making way too much out of the 8-24 from Iverson. Iverson is very capable of going 8-24 by himself without any assistance.