PDA

View Full Version : Help with plane tickets

Slomo
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm travelling to the US with my family and in order to catch at least a Spurs game I'll need to book a couple of US flights (LAS-SAT & SAT-WAS).

What are the best websites to do this?

Is it better to buy as soon as possible or to wait and buy at the last minute?

mardigan
03-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Buy asap,the longer you wait the more expensive they get, and I usually like to buy my tickets off hotwire.com, they usually have pretty sweet deals.

Slomo
03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Hotwire doesn't offer one way tickets. But thanks for responding (and for the other advice).

tlongII
03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
expedia.com

Shelly
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I suggest you contact Google (http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2007/03/29/screw-air-travel-google-suggests-you-get-out-and-swim/)

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/google-directions.gif

mardigan
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Hotwire doesn't offer one way tickets. But thanks for responding (and for the other advice).
You should try cheaptickets.com then, they do one way Im pretty sure

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Jim said he'd be happy to take care of all your travel arrangements. He'll just dip into the DuffMcCartney scholarship fund.

Slomo
03-30-2007, 02:17 PM
I suggest you contact Google (http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2007/03/29/screw-air-travel-google-suggests-you-get-out-and-swim/)

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/google-directions.gif:lol

I got this part down, it's the trip from Vegas to San Antonio that is confusing me!

nkdlunch
03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
www.kayak.com

it's the shizzz

better to buy as soon as possible, why wait till last minute when prices might go up.

nkdlunch
03-30-2007, 02:20 PM
kayak searches hundreds of sites for you and best thing it gives you full price of ticket including taxes + fees

sa_butta
03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm travelling to the US with my family and in order to catch at least a Spurs game I'll need to book a couple of US flights (LAS-SAT & SAT-WAS).

Is it better to buy as soon as possible or to wait and buy at the last minute?best time to buy is asap, you get a better deal for advanced purchases. Also if you only need one ways I suggest buying a Round Trip and not using the return. But dont tell the airline you are doing that or they wont do it. Normally roundtrips are cheaper. PM me if you need more info or help.

nkdlunch
03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Normally roundtrips are cheaper.

this is not true

it might have been in the past. but not anymore. 1 way are way cheaper.

sa_butta
03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
this is not true

it might have been in the past. but not anymore. 1 way are way cheaper.Airlines do offer 1 way fares, but it really depends on the market.
right now

Lowest available.
One way SAT-LAS=$229 plus tax
SAT-WAS=$319 plus tax

sa_butta
03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
my mistake I have been out of leisure travel for a while.
I do mostly Government/Military.

nkdlunch
03-30-2007, 02:48 PM
SAT-LAS:
round trip: $282

1-way: $173

nkdlunch
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
my mistake I have been out of leisure travel for a while.
I do mostly Government/Military.

yeah I know what u mean. they used to charge a huge fee for 1 way tickets. not anymore. Actually now I always look for 1 way tickets. you get cheaper deals.

Slomo
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll make my decision on Monday when I see what my local travel agent found for me (sometimes you get good prices when you book US flights as part of an international trip).

sa_butta
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM
wow, that kyak.com is cheap. Like I said I havent done leisure in about
4 years so I dont know anymore. I just checked SABRE.

SequSpur
03-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Call a travel agent.

ShoogarBear
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
www.southwest.com will probably have the cheapest rates from LAS to SAT. And there's no difference between one-way and round trips on southwest. I just checked right now and depending on the advance time, fares are as low as $190.

What airport is WAS? Do you mean Washington, DC? Those airports are either DCA (National), IAD (Dulles), or BWI (Baltimore-Washington). The best fare to SAT from those airlines is BWI->SAT on Southwest. However, if you're flying into IAD, you probably don't want to drive the 70 miles to BWI and you should just make whatever connection you can from there.

ShoogarBear
03-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, slap my face. Southwest actually flies to SAT from IAD (but not DCA). So they may be your best bet for one-ways from there, too.

tlongII
03-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll make my decision on Monday when I see what my local travel agent found for me (sometimes you get good prices when you book US flights as part of an international trip).

Do NOT use a travel agent! They are worthless! There is no need for travel agents to exist anymore with the internet. You will just end up paying more than you need to.

Slomo
03-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Do NOT use a travel agent! They are worthless! There is no need for travel agents to exist anymore with the internet. You will just end up paying more than you need to.I agree in principle, but they can link cross Atlantic tickets to inland flights and sometimes get a special deal and that's something you don't have access to over the internet (cross Atlantic fares are a lot more expensive on the net than what I can get directly from Lufthansa).

Thanks Shoog, that's a good advice. WAS is supposed to mean which ever airport in Washington DC. I'll probably fly to Washington from San Antonio and then back home. But since I have stuff to do there, I don't really care which airport I land since I'm staying 2 days in DC.

Slomo
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
www.southwest.com (http://www.southwest.com) will probably have the cheapest rates from LAS to SAT. And there's no difference between one-way and round trips on southwest. I just checked right now and depending on the advance time, fares are as low as $190.

What airport is WAS? Do you mean Washington, DC? Those airports are either DCA (National), IAD (Dulles), or BWI (Baltimore-Washington). The best fare to SAT from those airlines is BWI->SAT on Southwest. However, if you're flying into IAD, you probably don't want to drive the 70 miles to BWI and you should just make whatever connection you can from there.Just checked their website, best flights (non stop from LAS and 1 stop to IAD) and by far the best price!

Thanks Shoog!

ShoogarBear
03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Of course, now's the time to mention that sometimes with Southwest you get what you pay for . . . :lol

Actually, they're okay, but some people hate them.

When are you going to be in DC?

And if you're actually going to be in the city, IAD and BWI are actually about the same distance apart, and there's a direct SAT->BWI flight. If you're going to be in Virginia, then you want IAD.

Slomo
03-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Of course, now's the time to mention that sometimes with Southwest you get what you pay for . . . :lol

Actually, they're okay, but some people hate them.

When are you going to be in DC?

And if you're actually going to be in the city, IAD and BWI are actually about the same distance apart, and there's a direct SAT->BWI flight. If you're going to be in Virginia, then you want IAD.I'm still finalizing the trip so I'm not entirely sure it's going to be something like 23rd to 25th or a little later.

As for Southwest I've flown with them before and frankly on short inland flights I really didn't notice a difference to the others...?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-31-2007, 05:32 AM
If you wait you MIGHT get a good deal, but you MIGHT end up playing 50-75% more.

Best bet is to just book it as far in advance as you can.

angel_luv
03-31-2007, 11:51 AM

Is it better to buy as soon as possible or to wait and buy at the last minute?
'

:clap :)