PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a courtside seat at 76ers

Rummpd
11-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Sat 2 rows back halfcourtline - notably around me were several other Spurs fans - attendance stunk overall last night. Also, walked in with a large group of kids and adults with 21 jerseys on - Duncan is very much respected in Philly as is Rose.

First, both Spurs and 76ers played hard, but if Spurs had been careful with ball in first half would have blown game open. Also, Manu missed two FTs early that could have built a larger lead et. al (overall though he was a stud last night, especially on defense). Still, whenever Duncan in game and with Rasho playing very well overall - Spurs seemed to control the game when they needed to and I was not overly nervous in 2nd except that 76ers have some young sometimes streaky shooters and AI is AI.

Second, as a doctor, Parker looks "slower" than normal and perhaps thinner than I remember (could he be ill with something/hard to tell for sure but he was sweating a lot) - he was trying hard but AI was often quicker, seemed at times fatigued, and also Parker seems to definetely have lost confidence in his shot. That being said he did not press his shot in the 4th when it counted and was an effective distributor and defender of AI et. al last 5 minutes. In otherwords the played through it despite even looking tired on his last jumper and foul shots.

Third, Rose shot too often and often quickly/badly, but when he was on the court the Spurs kept controlling the boards and also both him and Rasho did not get credit for at least 4 more rebounds and/or tips seemingly to me. Also, I recall at least 2 Duncan blocks that were not scored in the box today. I had Duncan at 34/14/2 blocks did any one else?

Fourth, Duncan was Duncan and except for 2-3 FTs he had an excellent stroke on them = in otherwords he was the MVP again last night. Also he shoots better seemingly the more challenged on the shot he his, amazingly. A loud Philly fan was continually telling his buddy, " See I told you all this guy is way better than Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, Barkley, Malone, or anyone else".

Fifth, Barry is a very smart and crafty player but you all know that = he really knows how to space the floor and moves without the ball as well as any Spurs since perhaps Sean Elliott that I can remember, it is almost like a glide - effortless but gets their quickly. Pop has an option to rest Parker in the near future with this quy around.

Sixth, Horry and Brown although not impressive in the boxes perhaps, both were excellent defensively and active on the court. Horry made a key shot in the 3rd I believe.

7th - the league will soon learn that this was the type of game that last years Spurs would have lost and that the Spurs are on the way to a 63-65 game win season and a championship. On a bad night, the Spurs toyed with perhaps the 5th best team in the East when they needed to and on a night when they got absolutely 0 from their point. Spurs will be scary good.

DON'T FORGET THAT THIS TEAM EVEN WITH THE 0.4 ROBBERY AND THE LOSS TO THE LAKERS IS BASICALLY THE SAME TEAM THAT WON 17 IN A ROW AND HAS NOW GONE 24-5 OVER LAST 29 GAMES INCLUDING THE PLAYOFFS - THIS TEAM HAS IT - THE 76ERS ANNOUNCERS STATED PLAINLY ON THE WAY HOME THAT THE SPURS TO THEM APPEAR STRONGER THAN THE PISTONS, HEAT OR PACERS AND ARE PROBABLY GOING TO WIN THEIR 3RD TITLE IN RECENT YEARS AND REALLY PRAISED THE ORGANIZATION VS.THEIR OWN GM ETC.

MADDOC in Phil town (sure not the same as the great city of SA, where I will retire). :smokin :smokin

Solid D
11-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Nice report, Doc. 2 Rows back midcourt! Interesting observation on Tony Parker. Maybe he's IM'ing too many people in France at odd hours and needs to get some rest. :hat

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 09:38 AM
He's been up late playing Half Life 2. Give it a week or two and he'll finish the game.

AlamoSpursFan
11-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Also, walked in with a large group of kids and adults with 21 jerseys on - Duncan is very much respected in Philly as is Rose.

I'll never forget the first time I drove through Chicago. I looked over at one of those train stations they have in the middle of the highways and there was a dude standing there in a Spurs 21 jersey. I thought it was cool considering that you could go just about anywhere in America and see a Bulls 23 during Jordan's career and there I was in Chicago and some guy was sporting TD's jersey.

timvp
11-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the report, Doc.

johnny00
11-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Enjoyed the behind the city observations Rumm.