PDA

View Full Version : Corey Maggette - Boon or Bust?

SenorSpur
03-31-2007, 01:36 PM
For those who reviled the very thought of the Spurs seeking to acquire this guy, do you still think he wouldn't have been a good fit in S.A.?

This from ESPN.com

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=BestContracts0607

The 25 best contracts in the NBA

25. Corey Maggette, Clippers ($7 million)
This just in: Corey Maggette is a scoring machine. The Clippers have forgotten this at various times over the past two seasons, but with L.A.'s season in dire straits they seem to have remembered just in time. He's a free-throw generating machine who hits 82.0 percent once he gets there, plus he's a consistent jump shooter and an underrated rebounder.

Mr. Body
03-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the assessment. That's kind of expensive for a guy with so many flaws, though not terrible and with only one more year and a player option. He is absolutely not "a consistent jump shooter" unless they mean "consistently bad." I think passing on him will be shown to be the best move.

exstatic
03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
He's not a good fit. His jumper is very iffy, and he needs to score in the paint, a place already occupied and utilized by both Tim and Tony. If he would come off the bench AND bring it EVERY NIGHT, he might work. There are just two problems: he has vociferously resisted coming off the bench and he DOESN'T bring it every night. Both of those are pretty incurable for someone who has been in the league for eight years and makes big jack. Yes, $7M IS big jack. Not the biggest, but someone else will give him more money and a bigger share of the shots. That's what he seems to care about.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2007, 03:50 PM
He's ok but not worth creating a myth about his being a Spur.

Bob Lanier
03-31-2007, 04:30 PM
The word "underrated" (and its opposite) should be banned from the English language.

texbumTHElife
03-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Derek Anderson with a little rebounding ability and knees that dont squeek.....

Even still I would have shipped out Barry and Beno in a fucking heart beat. Corey starting with Manu off the bench? SICK!

Bruno
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Maggette main quality is that he was rumored to be available for a cheap price.
He wasn't a very good fit with Spurs but he would have helped us.

It seems that Spurs were never close to get. He is playing great since the ASG so now his trade value is way higher: Maggette has now lost his main quality.

thekingrobert
03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
he is like a Shawn Marion imo with the right coaching and hard work he can be a poor mans Manu

Taking it to the Hole
04-01-2007, 12:06 AM
With the way Barry has been shooting lights out lately, I think I would rather him in a catch and shoot situation like the other night against the Hornets, instead of Maggette who isn't a shooter, but a scorer. Maggette reminds me of a young Ron Mercer, great scorer, but couldn't hit the big shot when you needed him too.

exstatic
04-01-2007, 12:13 AM
he is like a Shawn Marion imo with the right coaching and hard work he can be a poor mans Manu
Coaching makes little difference once you've been in the league for 8 years. You are what you are. He is also NOTHING like Shawn Marion. Marion can defend anyone, stroke from downtown, and rebound like a PF. Magette's coaches complain about his lazy D, he can't shoot from beyond the arc, and while he rebounds well for a guard, it ain't nowhere NEAR Marion's level, less than half over their careers.

Six or seven years ago, if he had decided to REALLY work on his game, he could have been Marion, but that time is long past.

E20
04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Isn't boon a racist term? :lol

Mr. Body
04-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Isn't boon a racist term? :lol

No, but I know what word you're thinking of.

SenorSpur
04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
No, but I know what word you're thinking of.

Me too....and don't dare say it.