PDA

View Full Version : If the Suns beat the Spurs, I will...

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Enough of all the Dallas vs. SA smack. First up is Phoenix, so how do these teams compare?

With every passing day, I'm increasingly convinced that Phoenix can't beat San Antonio. The Spurs are a far more balanced team than the Suns. Forget what we saw earlier in the season. Over the last 21 games, it seems abundantly clear to me that the Spurs are as dominant a team as there is in the NBA. Dallas is the only team that can stand against them.

Someone please get a memo to the sports media people who are wishfully picking the Suns to defeat the Spurs… it’s not going to happen. It’ll be a great series, don’t get me wrong, but if the Spurs are healthy, the Suns won’t be in the Western Conference Finals.

So I'll go on record right here and now... if the Suns beat the Spurs in a 7 game series this year, I'll donate a testicle to science. I'll even let Mike D'Antoni pick which one.
:toast

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh, and off the subject... this Final-4 Bulls**t is for the birds. The traffic's bad enough here as it is!!!

dbreiden83080
03-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I think it will be a great series maybe 7 games but to me there a couple factors here. Spurs are a very seasoned battle tested team that does not need the HC to win the series. They have won games in the playoffs in hostile environments plenty of times. Secondly as good as the Suns are they are still operating under the same basic principle of push the ball as hard as you can and play little to no defense. I just don't think the way the Spurs play D the Suns are going to beat them in a 7 game series. I also think they are a little initmidated of the Spurs. We beat them pretty bad a few years ago, we are a team that has won titles in the past, we play great D and are physical with them.

1Parker1
03-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Difference is that unlike the year that the Spurs beat them by using that "we'll shut everyone else not named Amare and Nash" down mentality won't neccesarily work well with this unit. Also, Robert Horry's ability to stay in the game and produce was a large factor as to why the Spurs were able to not only run with the Suns in that series, but also defend well. I don't think Horry will be able to do that this time around.

Also, the Suns surrounding cast which the Spurs were able to shut down that season, has vastly improved since then. Gone are Q and Johnson...who by the way was injured or returning from injury that series. Instead, Raja Bell and more importantly Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw who may not be as easy to shut down.

Thirdly, this time around they have a decent defender to actually put on Manu. They never did before hence Manu completely being able to own the Suns by himself in 2005.

Finally, the Spurs offense this season (until of late) has been slightly suspect. They need to make their open shots if they want to beat the Suns...and they'll be getting plenty of open looks with the way the Suns play Defense as a team. Finley, Barry, Horry, etc. need to step it up with their outside shooting.

One positive thing I do like about the matchup this season against the Suns...I think that may be Francisco Elson's idea of a dream series. Nazr completely owned the Suns last season, and Elson is way more athletic that Nazr ever was and the running up and down transition points the Spurs will be able to get against a porous Suns defense will be a wet dream for Elson. I just hope he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to be an impact...I'm highly doubting that though. :(

Also, Bruce Bowen will own Marion...always has and always will. :)

Steve Nash is playing at a completely different level this season...he actually deserves the MVP this season though he won't get it, how ironic. I think he knows the window of opportunity is closing on him to win with this core and he's taken his game to a whole new level.

I don't think a matchup against the Suns will be as easy as many Spurs fans seem to think.

dbreiden83080
03-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Steve Nash is playing at a completely different level this season...he actually deserves the MVP this season though he won't get it, how ironic. I think he knows the window of opportunity is closing on him to win with this core and he's taken his game to a whole new level.

I don't think a matchup against the Suns will be as easy as many Spurs fans seem to think.

Nash will play great but to me he is less effective against the Spurs because he can't play D and Tony will put up big numbers against him. This is a series that is tailor made for Tony to go for 25-30 every game up and down the floor fast paced the way the Suns play. Tim will own the paint and outplay Amare, Manu will be good enough. To me after that it is just about our D and can we get enough bench support?

jman3000
04-01-2007, 12:21 AM
If the Suns beat the Spurs, I will also donate one of your testicles to science.

phyzik
04-01-2007, 01:15 AM
How about we look to the first series before we set our eyes on the next challenge? I like to trash Lakers alot, but I can just see this team thinking its a gimme and choking.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Difference is that unlike the year that the Spurs beat them by using that "we'll shut everyone else not named Amare and Nash" down mentality won't neccesarily work well with this unit. Also, Robert Horry's ability to stay in the game and produce was a large factor as to why the Spurs were able to not only run with the Suns in that series, but also defend well. I don't think Horry will be able to do that this time around.

Also, the Suns surrounding cast which the Spurs were able to shut down that season, has vastly improved since then. Gone are Q and Johnson...who by the way was injured or returning from injury that series. Instead, Raja Bell and more importantly Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw who may not be as easy to shut down.

Thirdly, this time around they have a decent defender to actually put on Manu. They never did before hence Manu completely being able to own the Suns by himself in 2005.

Finally, the Spurs offense this season (until of late) has been slightly suspect. They need to make their open shots if they want to beat the Suns...and they'll be getting plenty of open looks with the way the Suns play Defense as a team. Finley, Barry, Horry, etc. need to step it up with their outside shooting.

One positive thing I do like about the matchup this season against the Suns...I think that may be Francisco Elson's idea of a dream series. Nazr completely owned the Suns last season, and Elson is way more athletic that Nazr ever was and the running up and down transition points the Spurs will be able to get against a porous Suns defense will be a wet dream for Elson. I just hope he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to be an impact...I'm highly doubting that though. :(

Also, Bruce Bowen will own Marion...always has and always will. :)

I don't think a match-up against the Suns will be as easy as many Spurs fans seem to think.

The rest of the Suns team (outside of Stoudemire & Nash) may be a little better than it was a couple years ago... which is why I think it'll go 6 instead what was almost a sweep a couple years ago.

In the end... I know it's become a cliché in this conversation, but the Suns don't play enough defense to beat the Spurs.

"Until of late..." Why even bring it up? The Spurs are a different team than they were earlier in the season. It was really a "sleeping giant" kind of thing, and they definitely woke up about 5 or 6 weeks ago. It sounds like your almost dismissing what the Spurs have been doing since they turned the corner, while talking about the Spurs earlier-season performance as though it's a more accurate picture of what we can expect. Clearly, the opposite is true.

As far as the Spurs making their open shots... as with any 7 game series, there are going to be times when they don't. Nobody's shot is on all the time. But over 7 games, the Spurs are going to shoot a healthy percentage from outside. They're not one of the best 3-pt shooting teams in the league for no reason, and frankly... the Spurs are even more dangerous from outside than their season totals in that department would indicate.

In reality, I think the Spurs are the best 3-point shooting team in the league. That's because guys like Horry and Bonner are much more dangerous out there than their season totals to date would indicate. Also, Bowen's shooting slump hurt his 3-pt%, but he's over it now, and we all know he's dangerous from the corners. Michael Finley also turned a corner this month. He's not a guy you want to leave open... especially if it's a big shot, cuz this guy's clutch.

Which brings me to another point. If there's a game winning shot to be taken... the Spurs have a lot of guys you'd want to give the ball to. Ginobili, Horry, Finley, Barry, and Duncan (though not for a 3, obviously). There isn't 1 or 2 guys you can tell your defense to swarm if the game's on the line. Of the players I just listed, who would you leave open?

This team is just designed for the post-season.

Anyway... there may be and off-night or two, but over a 7 game series, the Spurs will hit their shots.

mabber
04-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Enough of all the Dallas vs. SA smack. First up is Phoenix, so how do these teams compare?

With every passing day, I'm increasingly convinced that Phoenix can't beat San Antonio. The Spurs are a far more balanced team than the Suns. Forget what we saw earlier in the season. Over the last 21 games, it seems abundantly clear to me that the Spurs are as dominant a team as there is in the NBA. Dallas is the only team that can stand against them.

Someone please get a memo to the sports media people who are wishfully picking the Suns to defeat the Spurs… it’s not going to happen. It’ll be a great series, don’t get me wrong, but if the Spurs are healthy, the Suns won’t be in the Western Conference Finals.

So I'll go on record right here and now... if the Suns beat the Spurs in a 7 game series this year, I'll donate a testicle to science. I'll even let Mike D'Antoni pick which one.

I'll go on record right here and now as well...if the Suns beat the Spurs in a 7 game series this year, you WON'T donate a testicle to science. :lol :rolleyes

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I'll go on record right here and now as well...if the Suns beat the Spurs in a 7 game series this year, you WON'T donate a testicle to science. :lol :rolleyes

Actually I will. A quick glance at my driver's license will confirm that I am an organ donor. I never said when I'd donate it. :lol

mabber
04-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Actually I will. A quick glance at my driver's license will confirm that I am an organ donor. I never said when I'd donate it. :lol

I guess you got me there.

LilMissSPURfect
04-01-2007, 11:58 AM
If the Suns beat the Spurs, I will also donate one of your testicles to science.

here here!

Voice of Truth
04-02-2007, 12:31 PM

I will remind you at the end of the season, I will save this thread and bring it back on top when the Lakers eliminate the Spurs in round one.

Make sure you ask Jackson, not D'Antoni what testicle (if you have any) will choose.

rayray2k8
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Please dont embarass us with these predictions.

Voice of Truth
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Please dont embarass us with these predictions.

Too late!

AFBlue
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
My friends and I were just discussing this topic in light of the crushing defeat over the Mavs yesterday. Thoughts....

The Mavs' defense, though improved, is not good enough to contain the Suns' offense....especially in one category; transition defense.

The Spurs, however, play great transition D and have typically forced the Suns into a half-court set, where they are less effective.

The Spurs also have a defensive stopper the eliminates at least one Suns threat (Marion) altogether.

The Spurs' guards also run Steve Nash ragged.

This is not to say that the Suns won't get some fastbreak points, or that Shawn Marion won't have a good game or two, but when it comes down to it....the Spurs just know how to beat the Suns and they have the personnel/system to do it. Beating the Mavs on the other hand.....

Voice of Truth
04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
My friends and I were just discussing this topic in light of the crushing defeat over the Mavs yesterday. Thoughts....

The Mavs' defense, though improved, is not good enough to contain the Suns' offense....especially in one category; transition defense.

The Spurs, however, play great transition D and have typically forced the Suns into a half-court set, where they are less effective.

The Spurs also have a defensive stopper the eliminates at least one Suns threat (Marion) altogether.

This is not to say that the Suns won't get some fastbreak points, or that Shawn Marion won't have a good game or two, but when it comes down to it....the Spurs just know how to beat the Suns and they have the personnel/system to do it. Beating the Mavs on the other hand.....

Suns in 5 against the Spurs ( if they get past the Lakers which I'm very doubtful)

Suns are just too fast for the Spurs old folks

mabber
04-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Transition defense wasn't really the issue yesterday. The Suns got 50 pts in the paint and most came in their set offense. Plus, they hit several 3 pointers in their set offense as well.

AFBlue
04-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Suns in 5 against the Spurs ( if they get past the Lakers which I'm very doubtful)

If you're the voice of truth then....

:stfu

theroc5
04-02-2007, 02:09 PM

agreed

Solid D
04-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Did you designate Beno as the recipient?

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 02:28 PM

We need some minimum IQ requirements for membership to this forum. Does this forum have an "Ignore Dipshit" feature?

smrattler
04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
I would never bet either one of my boyz on a basketball team, especially one that relies on Oberto to play center. :nope

cherylsteele
04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Did you designate Beno as the recipient?
He has nowhere to put it.

bdictjames
04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Suns can beat the Spurs in some games, but in a 7-game series, they just have no chance. Its all about experience and most importantly, DEFENSE!

da_suns_fan__
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I think the Spurs are too old and don't have the firepower to compete with the Suns. They might be able to take away the Suns' transitions points for a game or two, but over the course of a seven game series, guys like Bowen, Horry, Finley etc. won't have a chance at stopping the likes of Barbosa, Diaw, Marion...

I do admit, that the Spurs take the Suns out of their game more than anyone else in the league. I would give second place to the Lakers.

The Suns have been able to get any shot they want against the mavs for over three years now (including last years playoffs that the Mavs won).

DarrinS
04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I think the Spurs are too old and don't have the firepower to compete with the Suns. They might be able to take away the Suns' transitions points for a game or two, but over the course of a seven game series, guys like Bowen, Horry, Finley etc. won't have a chance at stopping the likes of Barbosa, Diaw, Marion...

I do admit, that the Spurs take the Suns out of their game more than anyone else in the league. I would give second place to the Lakers.

The Suns have been able to get any shot they want against the mavs for over three years now (including last years playoffs that the Mavs won).

Steve Nash and Manu Ginobili are the same age (33).

Raja Bell is the same age as Tim Duncan.

Tony Parker is the same age as Barbosa.

I forgot. What was your point?

SRJ
04-03-2007, 12:29 PM

He's right - keep going down the roster.

Bowen - Marion
Elson - Stoudemire
Oberto - Diaw
Finley - Jones

The age, of course, isn't the only thing to look at and the Spurs have their trumps as well, but it would be silly to argue that the Suns aren't younger.

However, Ginobili is younger (b 1977) than Nash (b 1974).

da_suns_fan__
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Are you really that dumb?

I say Horry, Finley and Bowen won't be able to stop Barbosa, Diaw and Marion.

And you counter with age comparisons between Bell and Duncan, Ginobili and Nash, and Parker and Barbosa.

MY POINT, was that Horry, Finley and Bowen won't be able to stop Barbosa, Diaw and Marion.

Do you understand now, or do I need to spell it out again?

jaespur21
04-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Our guys will be getting wide open shots cuz not a sole on phx can guard timmy. wheras fastbreak pts will be the only thing keepin phx in this contest. if they are not able to do so then amare will not be able to keep them in the series by himself.(as history has shown) and the "big 3" mins per game will go up and the phx will become manus number 1 fans again.

and since have the spurs not been able to stop Marion, hes been bowens bitch his whole career except for 1 game. BET THAT

Spell it out for me. Why does finley have to stop some1 when manu will be on the court? and marion is a joke. hes an all star player xcept for when bowens on the other side he disappears quicker than the suns in the playoffs.

barbosa will be tough but i startin to think jvaughn might be able to take him some.

Cry Havoc
04-03-2007, 05:30 PM
This is the way I see the series.

The Spurs have a player who can guard Marion.

The Spurs have a player(s) who can guard Amare, at least to a point.

The Spurs have a player who can guard anyone not named Nash, and to a lesser extent Amare. Nash is unguardable, however:

The Suns have ZERO players to guard Tony Parker.

The Suns have absolutely ZERO players who can even hope of guarding Tim Duncan.

The Suns have zero players outside of Marion that will step out to put a hand in the face of our 3 point shooters.

Heck, it's doubtful the Suns can guard Elson in the post.

It's not that the Suns match up unfavorably on offense with the Spurs. They will probably score quite a bit.

However, they are hopelessly outmatched on the other end of the floor. They play some of the worst defense from a consistency standpoint of any team in the league. 45 points in a quarter, anyone?

Cry Havoc
04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Are you really that dumb?

I say Horry, Finley and Bowen won't be able to stop Barbosa, Diaw and Marion.

And you counter with age comparisons between Bell and Duncan, Ginobili and Nash, and Parker and Barbosa.

MY POINT, was that Horry, Finley and Bowen won't be able to stop Barbosa, Diaw and Marion.

Do you understand now, or do I need to spell it out again?

The fact that you're attempting to assert that Horry would guard Barbosa says a lot about you as a Suns fan. :lol

Xylus
04-03-2007, 05:42 PM
This is the way I see the series.

The Spurs have a player who can guard Marion.

The Spurs have a player(s) who can guard Amare, at least to a point.

The Spurs have a player who can guard anyone not named Nash, and to a lesser extent Amare. Nash is unguardable, however:

The Suns have ZERO players to guard Tony Parker.

The Suns have absolutely ZERO players who can even hope of guarding Tim Duncan.

The Suns have zero players outside of Marion that will step out to put a hand in the face of our 3 point shooters.

Heck, it's doubtful the Suns can guard Elson in the post.

It's not that the Suns match up unfavorably on offense with the Spurs. They will probably score quite a bit.

However, they are hopelessly outmatched on the other end of the floor. They play some of the worst defense from a consistency standpoint of any team in the league. 45 points in a quarter, anyone?
The Suns don't match up favorably with the Spurs, I agree. But your argument is inherently flawed.

Spurs have no one to guard Nash, Suns don't have anyone to guard Parker, but the Spurs have the edge?

Spurs have someone who can guard Amare, but Suns don't have anyone to guard Duncan, even though Amare averaged 38 points and 13 rebounds against the Spurs in the '05 WCF?

When our two teams do match up, I imagine D'Antoni will be giving Kurt Thomas a lot of minutes to match up defensively against Duncan. Add Raja Bell to the mix to keep Ginobili from scoring 48 on us. Frankly, this is a different Suns team than the one you guys saw in '05. We are much better equipped to play San Antonio, that's why we got Bell and Thomas in the first place.

The most important facet of the series, the one factor that decides which team wins, will be the play of Shawn Marion. If Bowen shuts him down again like he did two years ago, the Suns will lose the series. If not, then the Suns have a great chance of winning. Of course, Boris Diaw could be a decisive factor, as well.

da_suns_fan__
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Suns don't have anyone to guard "Timmy"??

Do i really need to bring up a youtube of Duncan's feeble attempt to dunk on Amare back in 2005?!!!! :lol :lol

td4mvp21
04-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Udrihlooms
04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Suns don't have anyone to guard "Timmy"??

Do i really need to bring up a youtube of Duncan's feeble attempt to dunk on Amare back in 2005?!!!! :lol :lol

your intelligence level and IQ probably matches that of Amare's.

If that statement is a compliment or not, it depends on how you view Amare's intelligence.

As for me I have my personal opinion of Amare's IQ. :lmao

jaespur21
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Word!!

da_suns_fan__
04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
I wonder if Spurs fans will spontaneously combust if Amare drops a game winner on Duncan and follows it up by doing some push-ups.

jaespur21
04-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Tried that b4 and by the end of game i was celebrating. yup

dg7md
04-04-2007, 06:23 AM
I wonder if Spurs fans will spontaneously combust if Amare drops a game winner on Duncan and follows it up by doing some push-ups.

:lol

This forum would go nuts, although Amare isn't typically who you want going for game-winners when you have Nash on the team.

Should be a hectic, 6 game series.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-05-2007, 11:39 PM
It looks like my manhood is safe.

So much for all that "see... it doesn't matter if you can play defense if you're this good offensively" stuff the announcers were saying during the last Dallas/Phoenix game. The Mavs are a good defensive team nowadays, but they ain't the Spurs.

Xylus
04-05-2007, 11:42 PM
C'mere Kent...

*snip snip*

SAtown
04-05-2007, 11:44 PM
It looks like my manhood is safe.

So much for all that "see... it doesn't matter if you can play defense if you're this good offensively" stuff the announcers were saying during the last Dallas/Phoenix game. The Mavs are a good defensive team nowadays, but they ain't the Spurs.

Hey now... you said "in a 7 game series"