PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs not giving up on Brunell

Jimcs50
11-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Nov. 19, 2004, 12:52AM

Brunell hangs on
Even with worst quarterback rating, veteran not ready to call it quits
Associated Press

ASHBURN, VA. - Mark Brunell is 34 years old, has the worst stats in the league and has lost his job to a younger player two years in a row.

Is retirement on the table?

"No, I don't think so," the Washington Redskins quarterback said. "I feel real good about how I can play. It hasn't worked out these first nine games, of course. But I still have a lot of confidence."

He has to draw deep within himself to find it. Brunell's 63.9 quarterback rating is last in the NFL, a far cry from his 85.2 rating that ranked 11th in NFL history at the start of the season. Last year, he was made expendable in Jacksonville by the arrival of Byron Leftwich. This year, he was been replaced by Patrick Ramsey.

Brunell's games have made for difficult viewing. He has shown no consistent ability to complete passes downfield, and even his short throws to open receivers are missing the mark. Yet, Brunell and the coaching staff insist the 11-year veteran has more snaps to play before he's done.

"I've had a lot of success in this league," Brunell said. "And the body feels good. It's always one week at a time, one season at a time, but right now, going into this week, I'm the backup. That's my role, and I will have a good attitude and keep working hard and see where this goes."

Disappointing recruit
Brunell's demotion is an embarrassment for coach Joe Gibbs, who invested more emotion and energy into recruiting Brunell than any other offseason signing.

Brunell knew he was going to be cut by the Jaguars and expressed a preference to stay in Florida, but Gibbs' courtship created a trade market for him that wouldn't otherwise have existed. Rather than waiting for Brunell to become a free agent, the Redskins gave Jacksonville a third-round draft pick and signed Brunell to a seven-year, $43 million contract with an $8.6 million signing bonus.

No wonder Gibbs waited so long to make the switch to Ramsey, and is reluctant to consider the Brunell signing a failure.

"I disagree with the fact that it hasn't worked out," Gibbs said. "We've got a long ways to go here. Mark is not the only person in the offense. His role, and what it is going to amount to, what he does here for the Redskins, we are going to find out over the next several years."

A part of the future
Gibbs said he envisions Brunell staying for "several years," although the coach didn't say in what role. Clearly, the coaching staff believes Brunell can still play.

"We're not ready to throw the dirt on Lefty," coach Joe Bugel said. "He may need a little stay in the bullpen right now, but I think he would tell us, rather than us tell him, that he can't play anymore."

Brunell has said the right things this week, especially concerning his support for Ramsey, but he's clearly not happy about being benched.

"You kind of find out what you're made of during these times," Brunell said. "It's easy to have a good attitude and work hard and say the right things when things are going well. You kind of find out what you're made of when things go real poorly for you, so we'll find out."

That old man is delusional....Brunell sucks, he is finished...Had we had Ramsey all year, the Redskins would be in playoffs.

IcemanCometh
11-19-2004, 01:32 PM
brunnel plays like a bleeding anus

bigzak25
11-19-2004, 03:50 PM
he's the worst signing since jeff george and deion sanders....

that said, i like him as a backup. Gibbs loyalty to the man is scary though.

Duff McCartney
11-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Brunell is done. His arm strength is not what it used to be.

IcemanCometh
11-20-2004, 02:49 PM
i knew brunell was a washed up loser before the season started, the only question was who was the bigger idiot. The team that signed Warner or the team that signed Brunell