PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Small Ball

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Awesome defense at the end. :madrun

Obstructed_View
04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey, they get stops when they need them, except for when they let the point guard of a terrible team score a layup to win the game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
It's the same shit as the playoffs last year though.

Get by Tim Duncan and you've got either Manu or Finley there to try and cover for him. Like either one of them is going to come over and make that play.

Dumbass never learns, but I'm sure after we get bounced again, with some horrible rebounding deficit, Pop will pass the buck to a couple of guys on the team and the media will lap it up.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
We shot 48% for the game and STILL lost

I also don't buy into this "oh it's just the pacers" bullshit

if anything, at this stage of the season, the pacers (MISSING TWO STARTERS) should be routine blowouts by this point.

goodbye #2 seed

spursparker9
04-01-2007, 08:34 PM
missed too much FTs

Obstructed_View
04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
It's the same shit as the playoffs last year though.

Get by Tim Duncan and you've got either Manu or Finley there to try and cover for him. Like either one of them is going to come over and make that play.

Dumbass never learns, but I'm sure after we get bounced again, with some horrible rebounding deficit, Pop will pass the buck to a couple of guys on the team and the media will lap it up.
You can either have Finley as the 3 sagging down while his man hits wide open three pointers or you can have him as your 4 where he can't keep his man in front of him nor can he come from the weak side to block shots. Too bad he's the only motherfucker on the team that hits free throws.

sabar
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
So how much longer are Spurs fans going to regurgitate "small ball blah blah blah I'm a better coach blah blah blah". How about looking at the real issue, the fact that we sucked in every way we could find a way to suck.

VaSpursFan
04-01-2007, 08:39 PM
i don't get it...elson has the quickness to be out there so we don't need to go to small ball. why pop doesn't put him out there, i just don't know.

rocyaice
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
If it was a contender i'd be worried. But the fact it was the Pacers I don't know excuse me if i'm not ready to jump off a bridge. Had we won the win would mean nothing.

Obstructed_View
04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
So how much longer are Spurs fans going to regurgitate "small ball blah blah blah I'm a better coach blah blah blah". How about looking at the real issue, the fact that we sucked in every way we could find a way to suck.
Yet still couldn't get one single stop at the end of a game against a terrible team missing their two best players to seal a win.

Anybody who has paid attention to the Spurs over the last decade knows that defense makes up for missed free throws, turnovers, offensive droughts, etc. The Spurs gave up a layup to the smallest guy on the opposing team with a one point lead, because they only had one guy over 6'7" on the floor.

There seems to be every indication that Pop doesn't recognize that, and if he tries that shit again in the playoffs this year, THAT, my friend, is the real fucking issue.

Spurminator
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Offense and poor rebounding win championships.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Yet still couldn't get one single stop at the end of a game against a terrible team missing their two best players to seal a win.

Anybody who has paid attention to the Spurs over the last decade knows that defense makes up for missed free throws, turnovers, offensive droughts, etc. The Spurs gave up a layup to the smallest guy on the opposing team with a one point lead, because they only had one guy over 6'7" on the floor.

There seems to be every indication that Pop doesn't recognize that, and if he tries that shit again in the playoffs this year, THAT, my friend, is the real fucking issue.

but he will and that's whats scary. I always had faith in Pop but in a season that started out as worrying about his horrific substitution patterns, we've come to a point where he just won't get off of small ball. Hell, I'm actually amazed he doesn't play small ball 100% of the time. My biggest problem with the loss was being up 8 with 2 minutes to go and then fading away completely. The Spurs shot 48% for the game, it just came down to a complete lack of execution down the stretch and it is in this that the problem lies. Mental errors that blatant shouldn't be made in APRIL. We refused to attack the paint, and giving up a LAYUP in crunch time is beyond pitiful. I used to think our D would make up for our non existent O, but when the D and execution isn't there for the Spurs, we may as well forget getting past the Suns let alone the Mavs

ShoogarBear
04-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Offense and poor rebounding win championships.I hope so.

sabar
04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Offense and poor rebounding win championships.Presenting your 2007 NBA Champions, the Golden State Warriors!

Buddy Holly
04-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Win and its a jerk off fest.

Lose and its razors to the wrist, swords to the stomach, gun to the temple, rope to the neck, body to the ledge.

ShoogarBear
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
San Antonio doesn't have the economic base to support an NFL team.

Fabbs
04-01-2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.visitlasvegas.com/web-images/shows/14488.jpeg

Kori Ellis
04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Small ball freakin' sucks.

tlongII
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Bruce Bowen sucks.

tlongII
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I wonder if this thread will get deleted now?

Obstructed_View
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I love you.

Buddy Holly
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Lose and its razors to the wrist, swords to the stomach, gun to the temple, rope to the neck, body to the ledge.

I meant to post this in another thread.

leemajors
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
i would have liked to have seen more of bonner in the second half, esp in the 4th.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM

You're a dumbass. Good to see nothing has changed for you since sarsreport.

I guess until Dusty comes along and tells you that small ball sucks, you'll continue to defend it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-01-2007, 10:26 PM

:tu

SequSpur
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM
The spurs suck.

1Parker1
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Yea, why wasn't Bonner getting more playing time? :wtf This is what I don't understand...

SequSpur
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Bonner sucks.

1Parker1
04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Bonner sucks.

Yes, but who's taller and rebounds better...Finley or Bonner?

ploto
04-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Yes, but who's taller and rebounds better...Finley or Bonner?
It's quite apparent by now that it does not matter if it was Rasho, Nazr, or Oberto last season or Elson, Bonner, or Oberto this season-- Pop will play one of two players in the fourth quarter when it matters-- Horry or Finley. And with Horry sucking/hurt, it's going to be Finley. Get accustomed to it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
At this point I suspect if we had DRob here we'd still be playing small. Pop's stubborness on this is idiotic.

At one point tonight our lineup consisted of:

Tony Parker, 6'2"
Jacque Vaughn, 6'1"
Michael Finley, 6'7"
Manu, 6'6"
Tim Duncan, 7'0"

:lmao

ducks
04-01-2007, 10:45 PM
duncan 7 turnovers
11 missed free throws
29% from downtown

spurs lost had nothing to do with small ball

DUNCAN played pathetic
he was not motivated because no oneal

ducks
04-01-2007, 10:47 PM
2 more free throw made and this thread would not be here
manu and duncan did not even score in the 20's

Kori Ellis
04-01-2007, 10:49 PM
2 more free throw made and this thread would not be here
manu and duncan did not even score in the 20's

Even if they won tonight, small ball still sucks and isn't going to cut in the post season.

4 players on the court that small for those HUGE stretches kills the interior D and the rebounding. It's going to kill the Spurs in the postseason.

Small ball is okay in short stretches - it's useful in spots. But you can't live with the small lineup like they are trying to do.

ShoogarBear
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
The beauty of small ball is that the Spurs are combining it with 24 3PAs per game as well.

itzsoweezee
04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
At this point I suspect if we had DRob here we'd still be playing small. Pop's stubborness on this is idiotic.

At one point tonight our lineup consisted of:

Tony Parker, 6'2"
Jacque Vaughn, 6'1"
Michael Finley, 6'7"
Manu, 6'6"
Tim Duncan, 7'0"

:lmao

fucking pathetic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Apparently ducks likes to overlook the fact that Dallas outrebounded us on the offensive glass by over 20 last year thanks to small ball.

Even cutting that by one Orebound per game last year would have probably been enough to flip the series in our favor.

But by all means, go ahead and keep playing Manu at power forward, who wanted to watch the Spurs play in June anyway?

Dingle Barry
04-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Free Elson

G-Nob
04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
^^Man, Jessica Alba's feet are gross

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Pssst.

Didn't Tinsley blow right past Duncan for the game winner?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Pssst.

Yes but if we had a decent big in there as a help defender hopefully it could've changed things to an extent.

I don't know how many of you saw the replay of that last shot by Tinsley, but even if he had missed, Diogu would've been there for the putback.

You can't expect Finley, Parker, or Manu to guard the point. It's just not logical.

Elson may not be an intimidating force in the paint, but I'd feel much more comfortable having him out there for the board then relying on Finley to box out his man.

And for those that like to rave on Spurs being 20 W on their last 23 games here's a more telling stat

We're 7-3 in our last 10

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Pssst.

The point is that Tim has had guys blow past him before, but there was always a big that had his back to clean up the garbage.

Not yesterday, unless you're trying to pass Manu Ginobili off as our center.

LEONARD
04-02-2007, 12:47 PM
I love these threads....THANK YOU

George Gervin's Afro
04-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Awesome defense at the end. :madrun

Great post AHF.. :lol

sprrs
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm glad we lost last night. Had we won, Pop might actually think this crap works in the playoffs. Maybe, just maybe, he will see that smallball SUCKS and won't use it anymore....at least, not for long stretches, and definitely not at the end of games.

ploto
04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
The point is that Tim has had guys blow past him before, but there was always a big that had his back to clean up the garbage.

You mean he had David or Rasho? :)

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 02:21 PM
duncan 7 turnovers
11 missed free throws
29% from downtown

spurs lost had nothing to do with small ball

DUNCAN played pathetic
he was not motivated because no oneal

You can play shitty as long as all your players are all over 6'10". DIdn't you know that? I think 5 Rasho's could destroy any team in the NBA. :rolleyes

Obstructed_View
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
You can play shitty as long as all your players are all over 6'10". DIdn't you know that? I think 5 Rasho's could destroy any team in the NBA. :rolleyes
Yeah, good argument. That's what people are suggesting. :rolleyes