PDA

View Full Version : If Yao had a real coach

Fabbs
04-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Jeff Van Gundy sucks donkey parts.

I think Yao had/has a ton of potential, some of which he has already shown.

When Yao chose to extend (around 2003), what if he instead would have signed with a coach that would maximize his talents? Say Phil Jackson-Winters in L.A.

I say with Phil Winters that Yao would become NBAs #1 center.

Medvedenko
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree fabs...Kobe and Yao would be really great....Yaon in the tri would work wonders.

lefty
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
JVG is an excellent coach

And playing with Koballhog wouldn't be great for Yao's potential

Fillmoe
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
you are an idiot if you think van gundy is a bad coach....... you want a coach thats gonna get the best out of your players.... go get rick adelman.... but then watch your defense fall apart......

Medvedenko
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Yeah playing with Kobe who led the Lakers in assists each year they won a ring (with a great centre) is a bad choice. Man you're dumb.

ponky
04-01-2007, 10:40 PM
van gundy is awesome! i loved him as a knicks coach and i continue to support him as a rockets coach. i also liked his commentating when he took some time off from coaching, hope he returns to that whenever he retires from coaching....a long time from now, i hope

Roxsfan
04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
van gundy is awesome! i loved him as a knicks coach and i continue to support him as a rockets coach. i also liked his commentating when he took some time off from coaching, hope he returns to that whenever he retires from coaching....a long time from now, i hope

I like JVG, but he is very stubborn. He does not like rookies and the only time he will develop young players is when he is forced to by injuries. Why do you think Luther Head and Chuck Hayes are contributing now--yep last years injury bug forced their development by granting them playing time. He has NOT found a way to get along with and inject bonzi wells into the rotation. Bonzi is a great post up player and provides size,rebounding, and solid veteran scoring. He is inactive and rotting on the bench, a legitimate 3rd scoring option rotting on the bench!(Imagine Avery saying I just can't figure out how to give mins. to Stackhouse :nope ). He is overplaying his starters and just as soon as luther head sits out a game, there goes the bench.

If JVG, could learn to develop young talent and manage the mins from his starters he could balance his excellent defense with decent scoring. If we get rid of him, our offense will improve at the expense of D. If we keep him, will he get this O-thing figured out. :dizzy

lefty
04-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah playing with Kobe who led the Lakers in assists each year they won a ring (with a great centre) is a bad choice. Man you're dumb.

U idiot, this stat doesn't mean anything ; Kobe+Yao = not good for Yao

Medvedenko
04-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Not good for Yao....hmmmm...playing with the best wing player in the L, who when had talent in the low post, flourished...yeah, not good for Yao...maybe he'd taste the WCF's for once....You my friend must not have watched basketball prior to 2004

lefty
04-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Are you kidding me? why do u think Shaq left the Lakers? because he was tired playing with number 8

Medvedenko
04-02-2007, 12:27 AM
He left because he was #2 and couldn't handle it. He can handle it now because he has to...So, what you're saying is that Yao would not get a long with Kobe because he couldn't get a long with Shaq....that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for convincing me.

lefty
04-02-2007, 12:33 AM
He left because he was #2 and couldn't handle it. He can handle it now because he has to...So, what you're saying is that Yao would not get a long with Kobe because he couldn't get a long with Shaq....that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for convincing me.

Shaq can't handle being number 2? are u a real Lakers fan?

Let me refresh :during the 2001 WCF, Shaq said : "Kobe is the best player in the world" how is that not handling the #2 role ???? Kobe is just a moron, and the reason Shaq lest is because Kobe is a ballhog

Also, Shaq has been #2 in Miami, and he has never complained ; he has nothing but praises for Wade.

Thanks for not convincing me :toast

SRJ
04-02-2007, 06:18 AM
He has NOT found a way to get along with and inject bonzi wells into the rotation. Bonzi is a great post up player and provides size,rebounding, and solid veteran scoring. He is inactive and rotting on the bench, a legitimate 3rd scoring option rotting on the bench!

I wouldn't blame JVG for benching Bonzi. Bonzi is an undermotivated headcase who magically finds his game in a contract year only. He has a track record here, so my guess is now that he got paid, he's back to being scruBonzi.

Fabbs
04-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't blame JVG for benching Bonzi. Bonzi is an undermotivated headcase who magically finds his game in a contract year only. He has a track record here, so my guess is now that he got paid, he's back to being scruBonzi.
Bonzi "got paid" 2.1 million and this is a contract year as next season he has a player option. So Van Grunty is the 1st coach to have Bonzi not excell in a contract year. :rolleyes

Medvedenko
04-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I heard Shaq say that...I also heard him scream to the owner during a preseason game...."Pay me"...as he wanted an extension beyond 20 mill per year. That's what got him traded....not because of Kobe. Buss traded him and kept the younger of the 2. They were both to blame, but you put all the weight on Kobe.
Of course he deferred in Miami, he had no choice, it wasn't his team and his stats and minutes were dwindling. I'm starting to question your stance.

monosylab1k
04-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I heard Shaq say that...I also heard him scream to the owner during a preseason game...."Pay me"...as he wanted an extension beyond 20 mill per year. That's what got him traded....not because of Kobe. Buss traded him and kept the younger of the 2. They were both to blame, but you put all the weight on Kobe.
Of course he deferred in Miami, he had no choice, it wasn't his team and his stats and minutes were dwindling. I'm starting to question your stance.

Shaq almost won MVP his first year in Miami. He won the title his second year, and he's kicking ass now. Wade might be the big performer on the court, but there's no doubt that Shaq is "the man" on that Miami team.

Not saying Shaq isn't to blame for what happened with the Lakers. But Kobe was an absolute cancer back then (before you start with "what the hell do you know about it, Mavs fan?!?!" i'll let you know that my entire family except for my brother and i are lakers fans, the majority of my family lives in the LA area, so i hear plenty about that fuckin team). In all honesty, Kobe appears to be maturing and turning a corner, and I actually root for the guy (I just don't think he deserves being mentioned with Jordan yet). But there isn't anybody that deserved more blame for that Lakers team breaking up.

monosylab1k
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
back on topic, from what I've seen of him in NY and Houston (which is admittedly very very little), Van Gundy is a good coach but not a good "people person". He can build a decent team and create pretty good gameplans, but it doesn't appear that he can do a whole lot to motivate his guys or build any camaraderie with them (other than hang onto opposing players legs).

Fabbs
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Please keep this as relates to Yao and not another Kobme or Shaq hijack.

Yes, Lakers should have kept Shaq.
No, Kobe was not all to blame.
Fat ass Shaq doing some off season workouts would have greatly helped Kobes attitude towards him.

They're both pampered punks.
Shaqs title in Miami should shut the pieholes of all Lakers who squak "we had to trade him". He only had two years on his contract anyways, so all the crap about his contract is negated. Laker contract (would have) ended in 2006.

Fabbs
04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
back on topic, from what I've seen of him in NY and Houston, Van Gundy is a good coach but not a good "people person". He can build a decent team and create pretty good gameplans, but it doesn't appear that he can do a whole lot to motivate his guys or build any camaraderie with them (other than hang onto opposing players legs).
Thank you ^^^ we posted simultaneously.
Grunty is a horrible offensive coach, who underutilizes his offensive talent as badly as any. This should be a ball movement team with Yao getting 45 touches a game. Touches, not shots.

DOMINATOR
04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I say with Phil Winters that Yao would become NBAs #1 center.

Yao is already the best center in the league. he doesnt get as many touches as he should because he gets tired and that leads to more turnovers.

Fabbs
04-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Yao is already the best center in the league. he doesnt get as many touches as he should because he gets tired and that leads to more turnovers.
No because Van Grunty often utilizes the Popavich style half court stop all ball movement and veg.

True his minutes are reduced due to his fatigue, but they are about the same as Duncan, Dirk, Boozer, BenWa, Stoudamire, Andrew Bogut.

leemajors
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
yao would really flourish where he got a lot of touches in the high post a la walton on the blazers.