PDA

View Full Version : Nesterovic with Zero Dunks?

Notorious H.O.P.
11-19-2004, 12:10 PM
How can this be possible? I've tried to watch as much as I can and I don't recall Rasho with ANY dunks. Sportsline.com is tracking dunks to name a Dunk King at the end of the season. One hundred and eighty-eight players have dunked this season and Rasho is not one of them.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/dunk-o-meter?&print_rows=9999

He's doing a decent job but he has to show more aggression down low. Just when you think he's finally got it, he goes back to his tenative play. Step it up Rasho. And throw down a couple every now and then.

GoSpurs21
11-19-2004, 12:18 PM
how can you complain when the Spurs are 7-1?
i guess its a San Antonio past time

I'll take a San Antonio championship without Rasho dunking once, then Rasho leading the league in dunking and the Spurs getting knocked out of the playoffs

jackass espn mentality

gophergeorge
11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Why dunk when you are hitting open jumpers... and I mean nothing but net!

Solid D
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Nesterovic with Zero Dunks?

The sky is blue. Grass is green. We breath air.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm with gopher. So Rasho doesn't dunk. Steve Kerr didn't either.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
What position does Nesterovic play?

A lack of dunking is a sign of timid play, something that you don't want in a big. It means he is not attacking the rim enough and that when he is in close he is less likely to convert those opportunities into points.

coz
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
if rasho could shoot like Kerr, nobody would complain about his lack of dunks, but he doesn't, not even close.

Also, the guy shoots the ball well for ONE game, and everyone thinks he Sabonis or something. Rasho needs to be more physical down low on the offensive end, and he needs to friggin DUNK THE DAMN BALL ! ! ! ! How many layups and mini-hooks is this guy going to miss simply because he refuses to throw one dow?

Where's WaltonBuysOffMe when you need him for a:

" Throw it down big man " ? ? ? ?

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Malik only has one.

So he sucks too, right?

Notorious H.O.P.
11-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Whoa, take it easy there GoSpurs. I'm pointing out a statistical fact, not spewing anti-Rasho rhetoric. I'm satisfied with the job that Rasho has done for the Spurs and I'm glad they are 7-1. Much better than the days when I used to sit in the Hemisfair arena with 7000 other fans as the Spurs consistently lost 20 point leads on their way to a 21-61 record. But I was still there cheering Robertson, Berry, Cadillac, Wingate and all of the other old school Spurs and I'll continue to cheer them now. But the statistic can act as a rough index for a player's aggression in the low post and I would like to see Rasho put in some extra work there. Granted a player can still be aggressive there while scoring no dunks but plenty of layups and tip ins but the dunk is a sure two points and/or leads to drawing a foul on the defense. We saw Rasho's potential when Tim had to sit out a couple of games and while I don't expect him to be a 20-10 guy, he can still do more and I fully expect him to as the season wears on and Spurs continue to work on him during the season and off-season. I'm glad Rasho has a reliable jumpshot and it's been looking good early in the season but that also takes him out of position for rebounds. If he started dunking more often I think he'd develop more confidence taking it to the hole and the Spurs would be that much better.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 01:00 PM
wow, I didn't think anyone would take that Kerr comment seriously. At the end of the day the Spurs aren't hurting for offense. Duncan is Mr. Consistent, and Manu, Tony, and Barry are all guys who can put up 20 on any given night if the stars are alligned right. Rasho needed to step up his D, and so far he's doing it. And who knew this guy could pass like he's been doing?

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Trips to the free throw line are a better measure of offensive aggression and that is one category in which Radosoft has lagged rather miserably throughout his career. That is a sure sign of a lack of aggression for a bigman.

GoSpurs21
11-19-2004, 01:28 PM
What position does Nesterovic play?

A lack of dunking is a sign of timid play, something that you don't want in a big. It means he is not attacking the rim enough and that when he is in close he is less likely to convert those opportunities into points.
I dont give a shit if Rasho is timid on offense as long as he brings it on defense. Which so far he has been.

Only dunking is a sign that you cant hit an outside shot (like Snaq). Besides with Rasho out of the paint it frees up more space for Duncan to work.

As long as the coaching staff doesnt have a problem with his play and he brings it on D, I'm happy. Dunks dont win championships, DEFENSE does.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 01:30 PM
That's great but Radosoft is needed on both sides of the court when he's in the paint. When is he likely to be in the paint? When it's Duncan who is spotting up outside. Rasho needs to go up strong when he gets the offensive board, not with that weak flip shot.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 01:31 PM
As long as the coaching staff doesnt have a problem with

That coaching staff is trying to get him to dunk the ball when he's in the paint.

GoSpurs21
11-19-2004, 01:34 PM
well then if he's practicing it often enough it will become habitual eventually

Slomo
11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
That coaching staff is trying to get him to dunk the ball when he's in the paint.
Really?
Do you have a source for this claim?

JsnSA
11-19-2004, 02:21 PM
I wish Rasho would try to dunk more.

I dont understand how he doesnt at least try.

He has been playing well, I'll give him that.

But he has still missed a few "next to the rim" shots that he tried to lay up or use a mini hook shot when all he had to do was dunk it.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Really?
Do you have a source for this claim?

The Great Slovenian Mountain King told me.

Anyways, I believe you are familiar with the source. This has been covered in the forum already.

Slomo
11-19-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry I'm not, I'd appreciate a link from you since you seem to know where it is.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Check with Mr. and Mrs. FullSportPress (http://www.fullsportpress.com).

-MB

PS...Down with Slovenia

Solid D
11-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Pop has said before on his radio show "The Pop Show" that the coaches have worked with Rasho on dunking the ball.

Here's an article from earlier this year (not about dunking but more about strength and confidence). The Spurs are really just trying to make sure Rasho is stronger and thus, more confident, and playoff ready.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100804.1D.BKNSpursnesterovic.f99d3d1e.html

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/D_IMAGE.ff6874ac29.93.88.fa.7c.10327c6f.jpg

Strong words for Rasho: Spurs work with Nesterovic to help him realize his physical potential
Web Posted: 10/08/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs did not send strength coach Mike Brungardt to Slovenia this summer to turn Rasho Nesterovic into David Robinson. Or Ben Wallace. Or, as coach Gregg Popovich famously announced during last season's playoffs, even Man Mountain Dean.

Nor was Brungardt dispatched, as Nesterovic said jokingly, "to make me big dunker."
Not that the Spurs would mind a few more dunks from their starting center this season, big or otherwise. The purpose of Brungardt's visit, however, wasn't to build a better center as much as it was to help Nesterovic realize his potential.

"The best thing you can do is give him the physical tools to be the best he can," Brungardt said. "He's never going to be a real fast athlete, he's never going to be huge, but he can be real solid, real strong.

Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic, talking with coach Gregg Popovich after a recent training camp workout at the team's preactice faciliity, has spent the offseason trying to become stronger.

"And, obviously, he already has the skills and knows how to play the game."

Nesterovic demonstrated that during his first season with the Spurs.

Despite playing fewer minutes per game than he did in his final season in Minnesota, he averaged career highs in rebounds (7.7) and blocked shots (2.01). Factor in Nesterovic's 8.7 points per game and his numbers were almost identical to what Robinson averaged (8.5 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.73 blocks) during his final season when the Spurs won the NBA championship.

"He's always in the right place defensively," said a rival Western Conference head coach who would like to have Nesterovic on his roster. "And you have to guard him."

Nesterovic's biggest misfortune is that he has had to follow Robinson, whose combination of strength and athleticism was unmatched in his younger days. Robinson's biceps even appeared to have biceps of their own.

"They call Jevon Kearse (of the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles) a freak," Brungardt said. "But the truest freak I ever saw was David. There will never be another like him."

Not all Spurs fans seemed to accept that fact last season. Nesterovic moved a step slow at times and had trouble finishing at the rim. When the team struggled, he became an easy target.

Nesterovic said he feels more comfortable this fall, if for no other reason than he has played a full season in the Spurs' system. He also has two fewer dates with Shaquille O'Neal, though he doesn't yet see the 330-pound center's move to the Eastern Conference as cause for celebration.

"If you want to win the title, you still have to beat (Miami)," he said, "or somebody better than they are."

Though the Spurs never expected O'Neal to be traded when they signed Nesterovic, they knew their own new center needed to get stronger, regardless of who he was assigned to guard. During training camp last season, Brungardt began tailoring a program for Nesterovic, realizing the most intensive work would need to be done in the offseason.

Nesterovic worked with the Spurs' strength coaches at the team's practice facility for a couple of weeks before returning home to Slovenia. After Brungardt visited him in August, Nesterovic saw his progress slow when he couldn't train as much while playing for Slovenia's national team.

"He's a hard worker; he's not someone who ducks it," Brungardt said. "We'll just keep hammering away and get him stronger and stronger. He's definitely stronger now than when he came in."

The Spurs hope stronger also means more aggressive.

"Like any athlete, any time you start feeling your body becoming stronger, it automatically translates into confidence," said Don Newman, who has helped work with the big men as the team's new assistant coach. "It makes you feel like you can throw your weight around instead of just reacting."

Brungardt compares Nesterovic's frame to that of former Spurs center Will Perdue. Perdue became bigger, but not huge, Brungardt said, because his bone structure was not conducive to adding a lot of mass. As a result, neither Nesterovic nor the Spurs' coaches expect to see results overnight.

"He's never going to be an explosive, rip-the-rim-off kind of a center," forward Malik Rose said. "But he's probably more durable now. I think we'll see the benefits of what Rasho did with 'Brungy' later in the year when guys start getting more tired and Rasho maybe starts to stand up straight a little more because he's stronger."

Slomo
11-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Solid D I remember a few articles mentioning what the staff is doing to make him stronger and more agressive. I just do not recall anybody from the coaching staff saying that they are specifically working on his dunking, that's why I asked the question. If somebody has a link to such an article I would be thankful for it.

Ginofan
11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
That's not his game right now...he's doing awesome without dunking the ball. Can't you be happy with that? Rasho is probably the most improved player on the team...it's crazy that you want to criticize him for not doing a stupid dunk when he's doing so well hitting the outside shots with ease.

timvp
11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
I've heard tape of coaches saying that they are working on Rasho dunking when he has the ball around the basket. Mario Elie last year worked with him and made him dunk a series of balls before he was allowed out of practice.

If he's going to be a dead-eye shooter like he was against the Sixers, then he doesn't have to dunk. But it'd be great for him to dunk it when he's open around the basket, at least.

The weird thing is he dunked it in the first four games of preseason. I don't know why that didn't transfer to the regular season.

BigVee
11-19-2004, 03:40 PM
It is not his not dunking that is being criticized. It is his aversion to contact, to take it strong to the basket as opposed to turning away for a jump hook. If he would turn to the basket and go strong he would draw fouls as well. And regardless of whether or not he can hit the FT, he can get others in foul trouble. I would say most are quite pleased with his play so far this year.

Kori Ellis
11-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Right now they are working a lot with him on finishing (not necessarily dunking) and that hook shot. But yes, they have said before that were working on his dunking. In general, they are just working a lot on his aggressiveness. That's why he's spending so much time with Newman.

Shaolin-Style
11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I really thought I saw him have a very weak one handed dunk during the lakers game

Dario
11-19-2004, 04:06 PM
He made some monster dunks back than when he was playing in Italy, the guy can dunk, so i guess either he changed his game cause of his bad FT percenteage, or it's some kind of instructions on how the coach wants him to play. Eitherway i was just checking his FG percentage and his PPG and i would be more then happy to have him on my team, expecially because he is more defensive player then offensive. Allthough with his height it would be great lift for the team if he would slam the ball from time to time. :depressed

Slomo
11-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the information.

I've heard tape of coaches saying that they are working on Rasho dunking when he has the ball around the basket. Mario Elie last year worked with him and made him dunk a series of balls before he was allowed out of practice. That would explain the lack of articles.

It is not his not dunking that is being criticized. It is his aversion to contact, to take it strong to the basket as opposed to turning away for a jump hook. If he would turn to the basket and go strong he would draw fouls as well. And regardless of whether or not he can hit the FT, he can get others in foul trouble. I would say most are quite pleased with his play so far this year. I agree and quite a few methods to improve this have been mentioned several times. What puzzles me is Rasho never struck me as someone who is afraid of the contact, more that he does not "want" to got to the contact (his FT shooting might be part of that).
I also think he's a person that is good at following instruction and a hard worker so let's hope that's all he needs to improve his inside presence.

P.S. Thank you for answering a simple question without mentioning mountain kings etc.

samikeyp
11-19-2004, 04:28 PM
despite the fervor to the contrary....a dunk is only worth two points. you don't get any extra credit or style points just because you dunk it. One think Marcus said though, and I don't know if he came up with it or the Great Slovenian Mountain King did, I agree with. I think Rasho should go to the basket more to get free throw opportunities. He is not the greatest FT shooter but he could draw fouls on opposing players.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.timeshare.freeserve.co.uk/tourism/scotland/castle.jpg

http://www.familycommunications.org/images/mrn/cast/king_friday.jpg

"Hello subject, I am the Great Slovenian Mountain King. Everything Marcus Bryant says about Radosoft and Slovenia is correct.

Also, be sure to check out my theme song. It's smokin'."

http://www.rideaumusic.com/productimages/9F44136D-3032-4312-90FF-7E1D0C07860D.jpg

Solid D
11-19-2004, 04:55 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/avatars/avamarks1.bmp Seanmarksus Bryant - I think you're confusing yourself with yourself.

Slovenly maybe, Slovenian no.

SLOVENIAN 8
11-19-2004, 05:09 PM
When he played in Minnesota he was 2nd dunker in the team. Also when he play here in Slovenia and Italy before he went in NBA he dunk more often .
I dont now what he is doing now, why he not dunking anymore??
But who cares, it is important that he hit the shots and that Spurs are wining!

boutons
11-19-2004, 05:17 PM
This no-dunk rap people are pinning on Rasho is pure "That's (macho balla) Entertainment" BS.

For every dunk Rasho doesn't do, I'd take 2 more blocks and 5 more RB per game, and why not avg a small double-double?

Fuck his non-dunks. Up his stats line.

As I said last summer, Rasho's second year will be much better than his first year with Spurs. Same with Brent. And the years after that, he, TD, TP, MG, BB will have such a rapport they'll be passing to each other with their eyes closed.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
No, SD. I have returned to my Slovenian, not slovenly, roots.

Shelly
11-19-2004, 05:28 PM
http://www.familycommunications.org/images/mrn/cast/king_friday.jpg

Isn't that the king puppet from Mr. Rogers? :lol

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Yes, unfortunately when Slovenia was part of communist Yugoslavia things were not so good and the Great Mountain King of Slovenia had to moonlight as "King Friday" on Mister Roger's Neighborhood to make ends meet. But those days are over and now the Great Mountain King of Slovenia presides over a peaceful and prosperous land....

Solid D
11-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Was that back when Tito was the Marshal in town? :)

Shelly
11-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Yes, unfortunately when Slovenia was part of communist Yugoslavia things were not so good and the Great Mountain King of Slovenia had to moonlight as "King Friday" on Mister Roger's Neighborhood to make ends meet. But those days are over and now the Great Mountain King of Slovenia presides over a peaceful and prosperous land....

I'm sorry, but :lol

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes SD, but the Great Mountain King of Slovenia's laugh echos from his mountaintop castle throughout the valleys of Slovenia at the thought of Tito.

Slomo
11-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Was that back when Tito was the Marshal in town? :)
:lol

Solid D
11-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I have a riddle for you Great Mountain King Puppet. Why are Great Mountain Kings and Rasho similar?

Because Puppets are soft and can't jump, also. :)

JsnSA
11-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Well...if they have had Rasho working on that mini-skyhook lately...maybe thats why he hasnt been dunking much.

He might just be trying out the moves they have him do in practice in the game time situation. You know...if its on his mind to do it and do it well...I wouldn't blame him for doing the mini hook instead of a dunk.

And I dont think most people want him to dunk more because its flashy...they want him to dunk more because Dunks are just about the closest thing to a sure thing as you can get. Quick layups and mini-hook shots will tend to roll out more often than a dunk...and you wont draw the foul as often if you dont attempt to dunk.

SequSpur
11-19-2004, 06:30 PM
I already addressed this topic previously. How about something fresh?

grjr
11-19-2004, 07:25 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/D_IMAGE.ff6874ac29.93.88.fa.7c.10327c6f.jpg
Pop Walton: "Throw it DOWN, big man!"

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Whether he hits it or not, you don't want your center exclusively living off of what Rasho got last night.

ChumpDumper
11-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Centers who play with Duncan are parked up in the key. What else are they supposed to do?