PDA

View Full Version : Spurs just played bad -- end of story

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
What's with all the hate for Pop and so-called "small ball"?

The fact the team was not moving the ball very well, was turning the ball over, was bitching to the refs, and was NOT hitting free throws has nothing to do with Pop or small ball.

Case closed.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Cool.

Hope there won't be a sequel: Spurs just played bad -- end of season.

Obstructed_View
04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
The Spurs allowed the smallest guy on the floor to hit a layup to win the game.

Case closed.

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
The Spurs allowed the smallest guy on the floor to hit a layup to win the game.

Case closed.

Q: Which player allowed that to happen?

A: Tim Duncan

sa_butta
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Was Duncan expecting weakside help??
It seemed he almost let him go by. He could have tried to cut him off and make him
take a jumpshot.

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
It seemed he almost let him go by. He could have tried to cut him off and make him
take a jumpshot.

Well, since Tim knew he was surrounded by a bunch of dwarfs and there was only a few seconds in the game, I would expect him to try and make a play.

whottt
04-02-2007, 02:43 PM
So, don't get to watch many Spurs games do you?

If you do...I suggest you start paying a hell of a lot more attention to the lineup on he floor pretty much every time we lose to a team challenging for the worst record in the NBA....vs the lineups on the floor when get kick the shit out of teams by 40.

There is a definite trend...and the fact that you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Pull your head out...and then help Pop gets his out too.

Obstructed_View
04-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Q: Which player allowed that to happen?

A: Tim Duncan
Yeah, Duncan should have to rotate to cover a point guard from the three point line with no help behind him and nobody rotating over but somehow make the block. Seriously, dude, did you even watch the fucking play?

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 02:47 PM
take a jumpshot.I don't think Duncan made a terrible play on the ball. He was trying to block it from behind, and he probably would have gotten it except Tinsley took a pretty nifty angle on the release.

Having said that, Tinsley would have never made that shot, nor probably even tried to take it in that far, if there had been another big back there.

DarrinS
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
So, don't get to watch many Spurs games do you?

If you do...I suggest you start paying a hell of a lot more attention to the lineup on he floor pretty much every time we lose to a team challenging for the worst record in the NBA....vs the lineups on the floor when get kick the shit out of teams by 40.

There is a definite trend...and the fact that you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Pull your head out...and then help Pop gets his out too.

Who are these bigs that you think aren't playing? Elson played 18 or so minutes against the Pacers (comapred to around 20 minutes against Utah). Is that going small ball. Who else is there? Bonner played considerably more in the Pacers game then the Utah game. Who else is there? Oberto. (did you notice that we're getting to the bottom of an already shallow barrell?)

If you have some numbers to back up what you're saying, then let's see them.

sabar
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Who are these bigs that you think aren't playing? Elson played 18 or so minutes against the Pacers (comapred to around 20 minutes against Utah). Is that going small ball. Who else is there? Bonner played considerably more in the Pacers game then the Utah game. Who else is there? Oberto. (did you notice that we're getting to the bottom of an already shallow barrell?)

If you have some numbers to back up what you're saying, then let's see them.Heh don't bother. People have been blind with rage ever since the 2006 playoffs. Logic doesn't exist. They ignore the 50 games we win with small ball and focus on the 3 we lose with it.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 03:07 PM
More like the 4 we lose with it. In the playoffs.

sabar
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Here's what tallball did for us, remember?

http://www.nba.com/games/20060509/DALSAS/recap.html

Ha, poor Nazr was never the same :lol

whottt
04-02-2007, 04:35 PM

If you have some numbers to back up what you're saying, then let's see them.

It's not a matter of numbers...it's a matter of who closes out games. And you are wrong...it's not always the same lineup...we lose just about every time we try to close a game with the Parker, Manu, Bowen, Finley and Duncan lineup.

I think we've won about 4 games and lost about 20 trying to close games out with that lineup.

That is a bad rebounding and defensive lineup...it's a bad FT shooting lineup, it's a bad everything lineup.

What does that lineup do well, collectively? Shoot threes? One one one score?

It's got 2 bad FT shooters, only one rebounder, only one post defender, no true SF or C...

IT's gotten us back into games situationally late third and early 4th quarters, but it's been pure poison every time we've closed out a game with it, especially if it's a grind out half court game...

It's pure poison defensively, rebounding wise, it's got 2 easy targets to foul ant put on the FT line....

Michal Finley is a shitty defender guarding someone his own size...he's definitely no match for someone bigger, stronger, and younger, and he can't pass or rebound....and his shot is shakey.

Kori Ellis
04-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't get why people are starting new threads over and over just to express their opinion on the same subject :wtf

Kori Ellis
04-02-2007, 04:41 PM
The small ball lineup is fine in stretches of the game. But the small ball lineup can't rebound or get a stop when it needs to do so to seal games.

Spurminator
04-02-2007, 04:42 PM
SmallBall, to me, is like pulling your goalie in hockey when you're leading 3-2.

ggoose25
04-02-2007, 04:44 PM
if fins and bones are hot, put em in. small ball is great if you are making it rain for short stretches. but if you are under two minutes, in a close game, put someone in to fucking rebound the basketball. thats what i cant stand about this small ball crap. we cant rebound, we cant defend, we cant play Spurs basketball with it.

And I dont know what the fuck Pop is thinking especially, ESP, since he's putting that lineup out to defend and rebound in a last possession situation. I can justify it if we are trying to hit a three to win or tie the game on offense, but its unforgivable what happened last night.

i put all the blame on finley. if he hadn't hit that three against the lakers to win the game a few weeks ago, Pop wouldnt have gained confidence in his small ball lineup.

ggoose25
04-02-2007, 04:44 PM
damnit kori, stole my point

ploto
04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Here's what tallball did for us, remember?

http://www.nba.com/games/20060509/DALSAS/recap.html

Ha, poor Nazr was never the same :lol
How is it tall ball when Nazr played about 11 minutes and Rasho did not even enter the game until there were 3 minutes to go in the fourth quarter? The 4 bigs (Tim, Rob, Nazr, and Rasho) played a grand sum of 70 minutes-- which leaves 26 minutes of small ball out of a 48 minute game-- or more than half of it.

ploto
04-02-2007, 05:50 PM
The small ball lineup is fine in stretches of the game. But the small ball lineup can't rebound or get a stop when it needs to do so to seal games.
Why do you think that Pop does not at least substitute defense/rebounding for offense on dead balls? I can see small ball for scoring- but then sub in someone for defense when you can late in the game. Teams do it all the time, esp. with so many free throws late in games.

itzsoweezee
04-02-2007, 06:04 PM
They ignore the 50 games we win with small ball and focus on the 3 we lose with it.

3 games! :drunk

hahahaha. you have got to be biggest fucking idiot to believe that shit. dumb motherfucker.

sa_butta
04-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Why do you think that Pop does not at least substitute defense/rebounding for offense on dead balls? I can see small ball for scoring- but then sub in someone for defense when you can late in the game. Teams do it all the time, esp. with so many free throws late in games.What about offensive rebounds? 2nd chance points can be critical in close games down the wire. As far as scoring goes there would still be Tony, Gino and Duncan on the floor for scoring. I think the arguement is to have at least two bigs on the floor ie. Duncan and Elson at the ends of games for D, and rebounding on both sides of the floor.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
The Spurs are pretty good unless they're playing the lower half of the Eastern conference. Those teams are too intimidating.

sa_butta
04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
The Spurs are pretty good unless they're playing the lower half of the Eastern conference. Those teams are too intimidating.They seem to play to the level of the competition sometimes.