PDA

View Full Version : Question for Spurstalk Posters

ManuMagic
04-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Out of sheer curiosity I was wondering if any of the posters on this board are basketball coaches or have ever been basketball coaches. I don't mean coaching your kid's pee-wee game, I mean a legitimate, professional (as in paid to coach because that is your career) basketball coach?

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
whottt is actually Gregg Popovich.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I play ncaa basketball dynasty, does that count?

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Really, how good could any active professional coach be if he spends time posting on message boards?

I think Solid D coached when they still had bottoms in the peach baskets, though.

MrChug
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Naah, just Spurs Drug-Free league and Midnight Basketball. No pay :depressed

Kori Ellis
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
coachtf (who doesn't post that much) is/was a coach.

NorCal510
04-02-2007, 05:28 PM
i coached the east oakland community college team. i made those ninjas disciplined.

ManuMagic
04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Really, how good could any active professional coach be if he spends time posting on message boards?

I think Solid D coached when they still had bottoms in the peach baskets, though.

You could be a junior high or high school coach and take an interest in the Spurs - the season's been over for most Texas teams for a while now and over for the best of the best for about 3 weeks.

I was just curious to see if anyone here has game experience at any level. Interesting.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I thought of suing Bobby Knight after he threw that chair for stealing my M.O. if that means anything to you.

AlamoSpursFan
04-02-2007, 06:40 PM
I've driven 3 different teams to NEXTEL Cup status on Fight To The Top Mode on NASCAR 07 on PS2...I'm available if nothing else works out for ya...

:lmao

smrattler
04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Get 8 jokes for every 2 serious responses?

Is it the question or the people answering that's driving that ratio? :lol

whottt
04-02-2007, 07:08 PM
I was actually offered the job as Spurs GM prior to Pop...in fact it was me that reccomended him for the job. Alas I had just gotten out of school and wasn't ready to settle down in a boring job like NBA basketball coach.

Thus I feel totally qualified to be critical of him...

Sam
04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Coached High School and scout now for a college.

JMarkJohns
04-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Not a coach, but was a statistician/sportswriter for my JUCO before going on to study journalism, then becoming a paid statistician/sportswriter for The Sun of Yuma for over five years.

Not coaching, but still lots of analysis. Sat right next to two of the country's best JUCO coaches (both mens and womens programs finished top-10 several times while I covered them) for over two years and then talked with them weekly when I returned after college. Seen it all and seen how the coaches respond.

SpursWoman
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
no, but i did stay at a holiday inn express lastnight

Awesome. :lmao

SpursWoman
04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm actually Isaiah Thomas. Why? Do you have a big load of highly-price crap you're looking to trade? I'm sure I can pull some strings. :eyebrows

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm actually Isaiah Thomas.

The misspelling of your name, Isiah, is telling.

:nerd

Kori Ellis
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm just a writer/reporter, but I coached inner city basketball in South Central LA for 15-18 year old boys for four years if that counts for anything.

td4mvp21
04-02-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm the assisstant coach for a middle school basketball team, but I don't get paid I just volunteer.

Obstructed_View
04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I've never coached basketball in my life, which is why it's so frustrating that I could do a better job with the rotation than the current coach of the Spurs.

That's what you're driving at, right? I guess Kurt Cobain is a better guitar player than Bugs Henderson because he's sold more records. :rolleyes

mabber
04-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Not a coach, but was a statistician/sportswriter for my JUCO before going on to study journalism, then becoming a paid statistician/sportswriter for The Sun of Yuma for over five years.

Not coaching, but still lots of analysis. Sat right next to two of the country's best JUCO coaches (both mens and womens programs finished top-10 several times while I covered them) for over two years and then talked with them weekly when I returned after college. Seen it all and seen how the coaches respond.

This makes sense as you're one of the few people on here that I think knows a lot about the game.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Get 8 jokes for every 2 serious responses?

Is it the question or the people answering that's driving that ratio? :lolWe are keeping his thread on the first page until somebody can actually answer. :angel

ShoogarBear
04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm just a writer/reporter, but I coached inner city basketball in South Central LA for 15-18 year old boys for four years if that counts for anything.That means she spent four years yelling "Pass the ball, muthafucka!"

NorCal510
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
east oakland community college was a horrible team until i came in and coached those ghetto bastards

tw05baller
04-02-2007, 09:08 PM
no, but i did stay at a holiday inn express lastnight

:lmao nice timing

Jimcs50
04-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I have a Coach purse.

ashbeeigh
04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
I have a Coach purse.

I think Beno does too, but that doesn't make him a Coach either.

smrattler
04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
This thread is showin some life...

ManuMagic
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I've never coached basketball in my life, which is why it's so frustrating that I could do a better job with the rotation than the current coach of the Spurs.

That's what you're driving at, right? I guess Kurt Cobain is a better guitar player than Bugs Henderson because he's sold more records. :rolleyes

I wasn't driving at anything, from a couple of people's posts I was wondering if they had any experience coaching, and if anyone else did as well. I've got news for you, you couldn't do anything better than Pop when it comes to coaching.

Cobain and Henderson both at least at some time knew how to play guitar, right? Bad comparison by you. I'm smart enough not to claim to be a better engineer than the people at NASA, mainly because I've never worked or had any experience as an engineer at any time in my life. Looks like you should do the same when it comes to coaching.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Kurt Cobain isn't a better guitarist than Bugs Henderson but he's certainly a better songwriter ;)

SRJ
04-03-2007, 02:41 AM
I wasn't driving at anything, from a couple of people's posts I was wondering if they had any experience coaching, and if anyone else did as well. I've got news for you, you couldn't do anything better than Pop when it comes to coaching.

Cobain and Henderson both at least at some time knew how to play guitar, right? Bad comparison by you. I'm smart enough not to claim to be a better engineer than the people at NASA, mainly because I've never worked or had any experience as an engineer at any time in my life. Looks like you should do the same when it comes to coaching.

Good point. And we shouldn't let anyone vote unless they've held office.

Dalhoop
04-03-2007, 06:20 AM

Everyone and their mothers knew that this was your point when you started this thread.

Like anything in life, there is more to a job then meets the eye. In a position of authority in any job, you have to get others to do what you want done, just like coaching.

In some jobs it is imperative to motivate others to get that extra 10% out of them, just like coaching.

In some jobs you have to put the best face of a bad situation and bad face on a good one in order to maintain the focus needed to get a job done, just like coaching.

In the course of doing a job, you have to overcome obstacles that were, seconds before, unknown. It is often the person that first identifies the problems' job to work around it and accomplish the goal, just like coaching.

Now, what Pop does, most likely, do better then most of us is the X's and O's of basketball. It doesn't take a genius to know who the best players on the floor are, nor does it take a genius to see that a team is better or worse with particular players on the floor then others.

I have no doubt that Pop knows what he doing (He is preparing the team for those "Plan B" scenarios when "Tall Ball" doesn't workout). I also have no doubt that the average fan can look at how these line-ups do against a non-playoff eastern team and equate their performance to how they would do against the top teams in the west.

This board would be a VERY BORING place if only those that are in the shoes were allowed to criticize.

WalterBenitez
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm actually Isaiah Thomas. Why? Do you have a big load of highly-price crap you're looking to trade? I'm sure I can pull some strings. :eyebrows

If Isaah looks as great as your avatar I'll become gay :music

wildbill2u
04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I actually "channel" Red Auerback when I'm writing posts. That's why I seldom criticize coaching or GM decisions.

I know that we should win every game if the players simply follow the game plan of the coaching staff. It's the player's faulty execution that loses games.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey! Come on, people...maybe ManuMagic has a point.

How many of us can really talk about how Ron Washington managed his first game against the Angels last night other than a poster who has led a McAllen Rowe HS baseball team to a 6-12 record in his fourth season?

JMarkJohns
04-03-2007, 10:25 AM
This makes sense as you're one of the few people on here that I think knows a lot about the game.

Thank ya!

BeerIsGood!
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey! Come on, people...maybe ManuMagic has a point.

How many of us can really talk about how Ron Washington managed his first game against the Angels last night other than a poster who has led a McAllen Rowe HS baseball team to a 6-12 record in his fourth season?
:lol Who said that?

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-03-2007, 03:55 PM
:lol Who said that?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63376

Shelly
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I've watched people coach a game or two...

BeerIsGood!
04-03-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63376

That was great. What a dumbass

2centsworth
04-03-2007, 04:52 PM
$10/hr at the Y.