PDA

View Full Version : Did Oden jump ahead of Durrant?

Jimcs50
04-03-2007, 08:55 AM
With the last 2 games that Oden finally played well in, did he become the No. 1 pick now?

Mr. Body
04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
He definitely made a case for it (for whoever didn't already have him first).

johngateswhiteley
04-03-2007, 08:57 AM
he was already the #1 pick. don't let the tea-sips and espn jagoffs fool you.

Jimcs50
04-03-2007, 09:01 AM
If Boston gets pick, then yes, I think they need center more than sm forward or guard by a mile. Their centers suck.

Memphis on the other hand has decent big men already and will probably be better off with Durrant He will sell a lot more season tickets too. I would pay to see him play any day.

ducks
04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
no oden did not
Durrant is much more nba ready
the only reason oden was not in foul trouble was he did not go out to the three point ladn last night
ohio changed how they played because oden during the tournament could not stay out of foul trouble
if he can not in the tournment how can he in the nba?

tlongII
04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Oden was already ahead of Durant. This just reinforced it. His size and power are very similar to Shaq's. Picking Durant ahead of Oden would be like picking Garnett ahead of Shaq.

ducks
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
oden needs to stay in school one more year
dude has not even played a year of colledge ball yet with both hands

he will make a much better impact if he waits a year

ducks
04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
by the way I like oden
oden>james

tlongII
04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
oden needs to stay in school one more year
dude has not even played a year of colledge ball yet with both hands

he will make a much better impact if he waits a year

He's going to be the #1 pick so I don't know how he would make a better impact? I would enjoy watching Ohio State and Texas basketball if both he and Durant stayed another year, but that ain't gonna happen.

Mr. Body
04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
He's going to be the #1 pick so I don't know how he would make a better impact? I would enjoy watching Ohio State and Texas basketball if both he and Durant stayed another year, but that ain't gonna happen.

We should be thankful we got to see these two players on the court for a year of college basketball.

VaSpursFan
04-03-2007, 09:40 AM
height always wins because it's so hard to come by. oden goes first, durant goes second.

IMO, durant is the more skilled player at this point in time.

ducks
04-03-2007, 09:41 AM
just because you are a number one pick does not make you a impact player
or the most impact player of the draft
durrant will make a bigger impact oden may catch him later
I am not even from texas and do not care about their ncaa teams
I like kansas

when oden played against wisconsin when you played him phyiscally he was not a factor (not in tournament)
I just do not think he is ready yet. He needs to bulk up and stay healthy

tlongII
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
just because you are a number one pick does not make you a impact player
or the most impact player of the draft
durrant will make a bigger impact oden may catch him later
I am not even from texas and do not care about their ncaa teams
I like kansas

when oden played against wisconsin when you played him phyiscally he was not a factor (not in tournament)
I just do not think he is ready yet. He needs to bulk up and stay healthy

Bulk up? He's already 7 feet and 280 lbs at 19 years of age! LOL!

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
no oden did not
Durrant is much more nba ready
the only reason oden was not in foul trouble was he did not go out to the three point ladn last night

ducks, shut up.

Seriously.

So Durant is more NBA ready next year, whatever that is worth. If you're trying to get a franchise guy, you get someone you can build your team around for the next 10-12 years. Oden fits the bill.

The only reason he wasn't in foul trouble was because he didn't guard the three? :lol

Yep, as a center in the NBA he'll have to worry about that A LOT. :lmao

Fabbs
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
put down crack pipe those who do not think Oden is ready.
Florida as a team kicked Ohio States ass. Oden is who kept them in the game.

Oden has full assortment of moves, will only get better when right wrist fully heals.

ducks
04-03-2007, 01:38 PM
every game I say oden play with a phyiscal center
oden was in foul trouble

oden and Durrant are both players you would build around
Durrant seems more skilled now

leemajors
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
would depend entirely on what your team needs.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Most mock drafts have been predicting all along that Oden was going #1 over Durant, so these couple games didn't change anything. But it depends on who gets the pick.

I would take Oden because great bigs are hard to come by, but I can see why some teams would go for Durant.

ShoogarBear
04-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Oden was already ahead of Durant. This just reinforced it. His size and power are very similar to Shaq's. Picking Durant ahead of Oden would be like picking Garnett ahead of Shaq.Oden is nowhere near Shaq in strength. In fact, I think that's going to be his biggest problem in the NBA (next to developing his offense some more).

BeerIsGood!
04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
ducks, shut up.

Seriously.

So Durant is more NBA ready next year, whatever that is worth. If you're trying to get a franchise guy, you get someone you can build your team around for the next 10-12 years. Oden fits the bill.

The only reason he wasn't in foul trouble was because he didn't guard the three? :lol
Yep, as a center in the NBA he'll have to worry about that A LOT. :lmao

I think he meant that OSU changed their strategy on the high pick and roll by not having Oden go out and hedge on the guard coming off the screen. I guess they did that to keep him from picking up cheap fouls, but it certainly left the Florida guards wide open for jumpers coming off the screen.

tlongII
04-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Oden is nowhere near Shaq in strength. In fact, I think that's going to be his biggest problem in the NBA (next to developing his offense some more).

I disagree completely with you! Oden is very similar to a 19 year old Shaq. Look at video from his LSU days. Their bodies are very similar. Oden will overpower most NBA centers right now. Give him a couple of years and he'll overpower everybody!

Brutalis
04-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't see how he isn't the top pick. True center... rarity...

timvp
04-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Shaq and Duncan have won seven of the last eight championships. Durant would probably be the number one overall pick in any of the last ten drafts (outside of the one with LeBron), but a team just can't pass on Oden.

mardigan
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I disagree completely with you! Oden is very similar to a 19 year old Shaq. Look at video from his LSU days. Their bodies are very similar. Oden will overpower most NBA centers right now. Give him a couple of years and he'll overpower everybody!
And I disagree with you completely. Oden isnt even close to a 19 year old Shaq, he overpowered everyone, Oden is still a long way off

BeerIsGood!
04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
And I disagree with you completely. Oden isnt even close to a 19 year old Shaq, he overpowered everyone, Oden is still a long way off

It appears Oden's frame isn't nearly as wide as Shaq, so he won't grow into that monster that Shaq did. That said, Oden can be very dominant with improvements in his low post offensive game and mid-range jumpshots

ALVAREZ6
04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
O for Overrated.

johngateswhiteley
04-03-2007, 04:33 PM
D for Developmental League.

leemajors
04-03-2007, 04:35 PM
D for Developmental League.

B for bitter.

johngateswhiteley
04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
B for bitter.

N for No. (SC destroyed t.u.)

ShoogarBear
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
O.D.B.? How did he get in this discussion?

leemajors
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
N for No. (SC destroyed t.u.)

but durant is totally overrated thanks to UT fans and ESPN jagoffs, all of who vote for POY in the Big 12 and nationally. puerile? i think so.

johngateswhiteley
04-03-2007, 04:50 PM
but durant is totally overrated thanks to UT fans and ESPN jagoffs, all of who vote for POY in the Big 12 and nationally. puerile? i think so.

you can be a great player and be overrated, it happens all the time.

tlongII
04-03-2007, 04:52 PM

You don't even remember what a 19 year old Shaq looked like.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/11/65/a7_1.JPG
http://www.gregoden.com/images/p1_oden.jpg
http://media.scout.com/media/image/23/232022.jpg
http://www.cantonrep.com/photos/2007/03/30n-c1-NCAA-0330.jpg

Oden is 2 years younger than Shaq in these photos as well.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
What I can not understand is how mock drafts and you so called draft pundits can overlook the fact that Durant has all the tools to become a hellacious perimeter defensive stopper, and amazing weakside blocker/defender in the post.

IMO, watching texas, the dude is lazy, not very strict with his conditioning....added to the fact that he was our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option, and he would get lazy on the defensive end...on a team where he is a role player, and with coaches pushing his ass to be conditioned like a machine, he has the tools to be a premier defender..

and noone ever mentions this

all it takes is effort when you have the tools he has
So the whole argument about Oden "having the D" is fucking stupid....i would rather have a complete offensive game coming into the nba, with shitty defense, than a complete defensive game with mediocre offense.

but still i would pick oden number 1, for the same reason timvp alluded to

Cant_Be_Faded
04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
i guess what i am trying to say is that its easier to learn defense in the nba when you have all the physical tools, as opposed to learning to be a complete offensive player

but oden still gets the nod cuz of his position

RonMexico
04-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Oden doesn't even have to be the next Shaq... he can be the next Tim Duncan for God's sake... especially if he develops a 15-18 foot jumper.

timvp
04-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Shaq as a freshman:
13.9 points, 12.0 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, 57% FG

Oden as a freshman:
15.7 points, 9.6 rebounds, 3.3 blocks, 62% FG

Oden still has a lot of areas where he can improve, but he's on pace to become the next great center. He can work on his conditioning and doesn't have much of an offensive game yet, but he's the best defensive bigman his age that I've ever seen.

Durant is probably the safer pick but if Oden develops offensively and gets a mean streak, there's no reason why he can't be the best bigman in the league in five years.

timvp
04-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I just hope he doesn't end up in Boston.

timvp
04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
If Memphis gets Oden to go with Gasol and brings in a big time coach (Billy Donovan?) and keeps Jerry West ... that could be the next power in the West.

Durant in Portland would be sick. An Aldridge, Randolph, Durant, Roy and Jack starting five would be disgusting.

tlongII
04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I just hope he doesn't end up in Boston.

Portland would be a much better place for him. :smokin

mardigan
04-03-2007, 06:05 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/sethhoward/image_shaq.jpg
I remember this

ducks
04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I think he meant that OSU changed their strategy on the high pick and roll by not having Oden go out and hedge on the guard coming off the screen. I guess they did that to keep him from picking up cheap fouls, but it certainly left the Florida guards wide open for jumpers coming off the screen.
correct sir
You should get a mallard for being duck interpretor

ducks
04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Durrant has areas where he can still improve also

ShoogarBear
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I disagree completely with you! Oden is very similar to a 19 year old Shaq. Look at video from his LSU days. Their bodies are very similar. Oden will overpower most NBA centers right now. Give him a couple of years and he'll overpower everybody!I have to remind myself here that it's been a long time since a Portland fan has seen a real NBA center.

Holmes_Fans
04-03-2007, 08:24 PM
What I can not understand is how mock drafts and you so called draft pundits can overlook the fact that Durant has all the tools to become a hellacious perimeter defensive stopper, and amazing weakside blocker/defender in the post.

IMO, watching texas, the dude is lazy, not very strict with his conditioning....added to the fact that he was our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option, and he would get lazy on the defensive end...on a team where he is a role player, and with coaches pushing his ass to be conditioned like a machine, he has the tools to be a premier defender..

and noone ever mentions this

all it takes is effort when you have the tools he has
So the whole argument about Oden "having the D" is fucking stupid....i would rather have a complete offensive game coming into the nba, with shitty defense, than a complete defensive game with mediocre offense.

but still i would pick oden number 1, for the same reason timvp alluded to

You are the amarelooms of the college forum.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
every game I say oden play with a phyiscal center
oden was in foul trouble

Dude, he's nineteen.

I don't know why I'm arguing with a fan of a team that doesn't have a wing player under the age of 30 :lol

You're right ducks. Whoever gets the first pick should let Oden go elsewhere, bulk up, get really good, and then wait to sign him in free agency coming off his rookie contract :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Oden doesn't have the frame to be the next Shaq. He does have the frame to be the next DRob, and with the dearth of true big men in the league that means he'll be one of the best in the next 4-5 years.

mardigan
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Oden doesn't have the frame to be the next Shaq. He does have the frame to be the next DRob, and with the dearth of true big men in the league that means he'll be one of the best in the next 4-5 years.
Yea, I can definately see him being the next Dwight Howard. I could also see him being the next Tyson Chansler, although he was immpressive offensively against the Gators

leemajors
04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Yea, I can definately see him being the next Dwight Howard. I could also see him being the next Tyson Chansler, although he was immpressive offensively against the Gators

AHF is right. oden will never be as thick in the trunk/legs as shaq. robinson would be a better comparison, if dude hits the weight room enough. he's already bigger than chandler.

monosylab1k
04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Oden has the frame to be a hulking beast out there. maybe not quite as thick as Shaq, but that's only because I doubt Oden has the ability to become a major fatass like Shaq.

tlongII
04-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I have to remind myself here that it's been a long time since a Portland fan has seen a real NBA center.

Dude, I thought you were a doctor??? You must spend too much time looking on the inside of bodies to remember what they look like on the outside!

leemajors
04-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Shoog, you just can't appreciate a man's body like tlong can.

lebomb
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
LMAO......I said this shit in the middle of the college season.....WHEN Durrant was kickin ass......that Oden would be the #1 pick period. Ask any GM in the NBA and they will tell you to always select the skilled BIG man. Not saying Durrant isnt the most TALENTED player in college, Im just stating the fact that Oden has more upside for an NBA team. Great BIG men are rare and are the most important piece in winning an NBA title.