PDA

View Full Version : A Houston Hating Observation

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
So many of the Rockets fans have a major grudge against Hakeem Olajuwon for leaving Houston when he could get more more elsewhere. This after years of being the greatest thing that ever happened to this little swampland metropolis. Now if you mention the glory days of the early nineties people perk up just long enough until the remember that the Dream bailed on them for money and a non rain forest climate. Then they get a little mad.

Compare that to so many of the Spurs fans I know and how they feel about Avery Johnson. Most people I know (and who knows what the mood is here) basically felt that after all he'd been through, and all he'd done for the Spurs, he deserved to get the money had earned, even if it wasn't with the Spurs. "Payday for AJ. Hooray" was the memorable soundbite of my fiancee.

I think it may speak to an intrensic difference in the two cities themselves. At the very least I felt the need to take this opportunity to reiterate my undying hatred of this place.

GoSpurs21
11-19-2004, 02:32 PM
I know some will disagree with me, but I always thought Avery was overrated.
I supported him while he was a Spur, but after the championship, Avery's humbleness was replaced by bigheadness and he lost all favor for me.

And comparing Hakeen contributions to Avery contributions is a bit of a stretch. Hakeen and David are on par.

Mr. Body
11-19-2004, 02:40 PM
I know of no Houston fans who dislike Hakeem, though it's a small sample.

I don't dislike AJ and if anybody does, it's because he did leave the team (or was removed) due to ego problems. That, to me, is forgiveable, and I treasure what he did for this team. He was a mighty player for all his limitations and will be a fine coach.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 02:54 PM
My sample of Rockets fans is relatively small as well and most of them are college aged guys who grew up around Houston. Hakeem leaving would have been like Robinson going somewhere else. I think that both moves were motivated by money, but in the case of Hakeem it just looked like out right greed from a guy who had been known as a class act for his whole career. He'd made enough money in Houston to build an entire house out of $100 bills. In the case of Avery he'd bounced around the league for so long without scoring a big payday. I honestly wouldn't have blamed Avery if he had blasted the Spurs in the press. Hell, if the Spurs had mistreated anyone it's Avery (getting cut on Christmas AND at the Admiral's wedding). I've always viewed it as a situation where both he and the Spurs were thinking of the future and those futures were too different to include each other.

2pac
11-19-2004, 03:21 PM
I think your hate has blinded you.

Hakeem left because Houston wasnt using him as much, and he wanted a bigger role. Toronto was looking like a good team, and needed a post player like Hakeem. Hakeem obviously wasnt the building block he used to be in 2001: Houston knew they needed to focus their team around guys like Mobley, Francis, Griffin and Cato.

They got out from Hakeem, and got two draft picks in the process - more than Hakeem was worth at the time. Of course, Houston only got Nachbar with that pick (15th in 2002 - Tashun Prince and Boozer were on the board. Could you imagine them picking up Yao and Boozer in the same draft?)

Houston still loves Hakeem, and Hakeem still loves (and lives in) Houston.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 03:35 PM
You guys would probably have a better barometer than the friends I have. They are sports fans but not exactly sports experts. They are Rockets fans after all.

timvp
11-19-2004, 03:51 PM
spurs fan in exile ... Since you are new to the forum, you should read this thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3844) regarding the differing views on Avery Johnson.

It's a good read.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Spurs fans never hold a grudge against a player leaving the team for the money.

Sincerely,

Derek Anderson

spursfaninla
11-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Spurs fans never hold a grudge against a player leaving the team for the money.

Sincerely,

Derek Anderson

good one, admittedly you hit me right on, I never forgave that bastid.

johnny00
11-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Y'know when Derek left I was pretty upset that we lost a quality player, but in hindsight Portland or Toronto can have him, freakin' egomaniac.