PDA

View Full Version : Value of Tony Parker

2centsworth
11-19-2004, 02:13 PM
He never has and probably will never be a great assist man.

His shot is streaky at best.(30% career 3pt and 12% this year)

His defense can be good sometimes, but no where close to Manu or Bruce.

Nevertheless, he is very valuable for the following reasons:

1. teams can't pressure us because of tony's speed. This gives us more time in the half court to get better shots. Remember when the lakers killed us in the playoffs in 01 and 02, Porter's lack of speed killed us.

2. Tony puts pressure on teams defesively, because he's a threat to take it the length of the court at anytime.

3. When he's hot we're unbeatable.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
The only problem that I think anyone could ever throw Tony's way is that he's inconsisent. Otherwise he's really got the complete package. He can be equally effective running the floor or running an offense and he can defend just fine. I think right now he's not handling the pressure of being a 66 mil man very well, but at the end of the day, the Spurs are 7-1. Until he costs the Spurs a game its gonna be tough to really hang too much criticism on him.

Jdspur20
11-19-2004, 02:24 PM
the great thing about tony is he's only 22. when this guy is about 25-26, i think he will be very consistant. he's still young, but i think he's improving a part of his game every year.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 02:30 PM
He never has and probably will never be a great assist man.

Due in no small part to the type of offenses the Spurs run. How's he supposed to make a play when he's playing off the ball for the majority of the shot clock?

2centsworth
11-19-2004, 04:42 PM
the great thing about tony is he's only 22. when this guy is about 25-26, i think he will be very consistant. he's still young, but i think he's improving a part of his game every year

I've seen little improvement, but he's the best we got and it's going to be very hard to find someone better.

Spurs_rock05
11-19-2004, 05:03 PM
I've seen little improvement, but he's the best we got and it's going to be very hard to find someone better.
YOU'RE RIGHT IT WILL BE HARD TO FIND SOMEBODY LIKE HIM BUT WHY PICK ON HIM. AS LONG WE ARE NOT PLAYING THE GAME ITS ALL RIGHT BECAUSE I'M SURE HE WILL GET ALOT BETTER IN THE YEARS TO COME BECAUSE HE IS NEXT TO TIM DA :fro MAN DUNCAN SO LETS NOT SAY THINGS BECAUSE IF PLAYED B-BALL AND I WOULD WANT MY FANS TO SUPPORT ME NO MATTER WHAT HAPPEND.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 05:42 PM
2centsworth, you summarized almost exactly my current feelings about Parker in your two posts.

He had two stretches of about 5-6 games each last year that were tantalizing. One was a stretch around Christmas when he was providing about the best point guard play the Spurs have every had: 10-12 assists, 15-20 points a game on > 50% shooting, low turnovers, capable defense. Actually running the offense as a true pass-first guard. I figured that wasn't going to last. He kicked it up again sometime around March for a short time.

Otherwise, he's a guy who needs his shot to fall to dominate.

boutons
11-19-2004, 05:46 PM
"One was a stretch around Christmas was"

No, it was during the December 03 win streak, when there was a very obvious, dramatic, conscious conversion from Tony the Shooting PG to Tony the distributing playmaker. This outbreak in his behavior was the foundation of the streak (along with Malik being hurt, as the team joke went).

nbs.com/spurs and look at the stats for 03/04, for the month of Dec. a thing of beauty.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
How do you get those splits for just December from last year?

I would have been more specific in my post about what he did but I can't figure out how to do it. I can get the season totals for 2003-2004, but can't figure out how to get the game-by-game splits

boutons
11-19-2004, 06:08 PM
I can't remember, but I think there is a way to see a player's, Tony's, stat line per game, all season. Ie, look in tony stats, not spurs stats.