PDA

View Full Version : Knicks coach Thomas fined $50,000 by NBA

ducks
04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Knicks coach Thomas fined $50,000 by NBA

April 3, 2007
NEW YORK (TICKER) -- In coming to the defense of Stephon Marbury, embattled New York Knicks coach Isiah Thomas drew the ire of the NBA.

Thomas was fined $50,000 on Tuesday for "public criticisms" of the NBA that arose from his defense of his point guard over the weekend.

The fine was announced by NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson, who responded after Thomas made comments about how he perceived Marbury's penetration game was officiated.

ADVERTISEMENT

After Saturday's 103-94 road loss to the New Orleans Hornets, Thomas said Marbury did not get the calls other star players get when they drive to the basket. Marbury was stripped of the ball on a drive late in regulation.

"I've never said this before but I think it needs to be made, how Marbury is being treated by the officials," Thomas said. "I don't understand why a guy for all his career has been a player who drives to the basket and get to the foul line. I don't understand what he has done, or why he is getting the lack of respect he is getting from the officials."

A 10-year veteran and two-time All-Star, Marbury ranks 28th in the NBA in free throws. He also ranks 16th in 3-point attempts.

"I would hope he would be treated like other star players are treated," Thomas also said. "There is only so much a player can take before it starts to affect his game. He is officiated differently than other guards in this game."

The Knicks (31-42) are just 2-8 since Thomas was given a contract extension by owner James Dolan. They are 10th in the Eastern Conference, three games out of the final playoff spot.