PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart building on Senic Loop

MannyIsGod
11-19-2004, 02:59 PM
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=45C15E1F-B8FB-4693-8677-7215AC8CAFB7

I think the above story is worthless, but it gives you the basic idea of what happend last night.

I attended the meeting, and there was a HUGE turnout. I just thought people should be aware of where they are planning on putting this store. It's idiotic if you know the area.

We don't need a damn Wal Mart on ever corner, especially when there are 3 already within a 10 mile radius.

NameDropper
11-19-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm surprised people living in that area shop a Wal-Mart.

Kori Ellis
11-19-2004, 03:35 PM
That's very near our house and we already have two walmarts within just 3.4 miles of our house. And there are three within six miles of our house counting the DeZavala one.

So it's extremely weird that they'd add another.

Shelly
11-19-2004, 04:07 PM
why would they build one there? There's one just down Bandera

11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
The same reason you have an HEB at 281/1604, 281/Evans and 281/Blanco.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out what that reason is.

I guess they figure that's where the growth is and folks are too lazy to drive that far away from their neighborhoods.

Solid D
11-19-2004, 04:14 PM
http://cdn.digitalcity.com/shoppingvenues/05/01/113219_135

That's just wrong.

Solid D
11-19-2004, 04:20 PM
http://www.accd.edu/pac/history/rhines/StudentProjects/1998/Helotes/Church.JPG

Our Lady of Walmart Church

DrRich
11-19-2004, 04:23 PM
If Walmart lowers prices evreyday, how come nothing's free yet?

Solid D
11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
^ Not intended to be anti-religious or sacrilegious ^ Putting a Walmart at that spot in Helotes is sacrilege.

timvp
11-19-2004, 04:51 PM
We have three HEBs within 2 minutes of our house. We have two Walmarts within 2 minutes of our house.

It's actually pretty cool because we go to a different location depending on the time.

Useruser666
11-19-2004, 04:52 PM
I won't be happy till they build me my own personal Walmart and HEB. :lol

SuperWalmart = super crowds

Shelly
11-19-2004, 04:54 PM
What they REALLY need to do is put something where Albertson's used to be in Helotes. Like a Whole Foods or Sun Harvest. Hell, I'd even settle for Academy in one of the Albertson's. Both the one at 1604/Bandera and Tezel/Guilbeau are still empty.

But I must confess my total devotion to Target. Oh, who I love that store.

timvp
11-19-2004, 04:57 PM
What they REALLY need to do is put something where Albertson's used to be in Helotes. Like a Whole Foods or Sun Harvest.

That would be awesome.

Oh, who I love that store.

Deep :smokin

Spurminator
11-19-2004, 04:58 PM
http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/809/809_img_18.jpg

Shelly
11-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Deep

:lol I have yet to make it out of that damn store without at least spending $50.

11-19-2004, 05:04 PM
That is easily solved.

Quit taking your kids with you.

Marcus Bryant
11-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Wal-Mart.

Everyone hates it. And almost everyone shops there. Such is life. Usually it's some wealthier types and property owners in the area mixed in with an assortment of the usual left wing protestor types (enviro-nuts, union, etc...) who oppose big box development.

If Floore's was going to be floored (I apologize, it was too easy) then yeah, that would suck.

bigzak25
11-19-2004, 05:07 PM
costco, heb, and target for me.

Kori Ellis
11-19-2004, 05:08 PM
We go to WalMart, but only after 2am when no one is there. Otherwise, it's such a hassle. But they do have bargains!

Shelly
11-19-2004, 05:12 PM
I very rarely go to Wal-Mart. I hate that store with a passion. They've got too much crap crammed in the aisles I will gladly pay Targhay prices for uncrowed aisles.

1369, that's without the kids! The Target by me is a Super Target. They are dangerous.

JoeChalupa
11-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Why is that protesters always have to be left-wing nuts?
I'm sure there are some right-wing nuts protesting too.

But enough of making this into a political thread.

I shop at Wal-Mart...and Target for the specials only.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-19-2004, 05:22 PM
That's very near our house and we already have two walmarts within just 3.4 miles of our house.

We have two Walmarts within 2 minutes of our house.

It's actually pretty cool because we go to a different location depending on the time.

I think I've just gotten a little insight into how fast Timvp drives!!

Let's see. . . .3.4 miles in 2 minutes, that's 1.7 miles per minute, times sixty minutes. . .comes to---let me check this---102 miles per hour!!

Cool!! :lol

Solid D
11-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Why is that protesters always have to be left-wing nuts?
I'm sure there are some right-wing nuts protesting too.

But enough of making this into a political thread.

I shop at Wal-Mart...and Target for the specials only.

In the Spurs system, left-wing nuts and right-wing nuts are interchangeable.

MannyIsGod
11-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Wal-Mart.

Everyone hates it. And almost everyone shops there. Such is life. Usually it's some wealthier types and property owners in the area mixed in with an assortment of the usual left wing protestor types (enviro-nuts, union, etc...) who oppose big box development.

If Floore's was going to be floored (I apologize, it was too easy) then yeah, that would suck.

And I'm sure you speak out of experience from being to these type of meetings, right?

Actually, most of the people at the meeting were not anti walmart in general, they simply thought the location was horrendous.

Marcus Bryant
11-20-2004, 08:13 PM
As a former member of a Zoning Board of Adjustments for two years, yes, I've been to those type of meetings.

Drachen
11-20-2004, 08:27 PM
The same reason you have an HEB at 281/1604, 281/Evans and 281/Blanco.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out what that reason is.

I guess they figure that's where the growth is and folks are too lazy to drive that far away from their neighborhoods.

Blanco doesnt hit 281

MannyIsGod
11-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Ah, well then I stand corrected.

Actualy, there were very few enviromental nuts or far left individuals at this meeting. I know, i knew most of them. It really was just a large amount of Helotes citizens, with some Grey Forest citizens and SA and Bexar one's mixed in.

I assume some were wealthy, but I don't think most were.

KEDA
11-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Blanco doesnt hit 281

I think he meant 1604 & Blanco

directly across from the Office Depot where I work, and that area is growing by leaps and bounds every day! Im suprised Walmart (which I also hate) or a Sams Club isnt already there.

Hook Dem
11-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm kinda like Buddy Hackett. When asked if he knew that there were only 650 snow geese left in the world, he replied, "If one of them shits on my car, there will only be 649". :lol

SpursWoman
11-21-2004, 12:45 PM
:lol I have yet to make it out of that damn store without at least spending $50.

ROFLMFAO!!

I actually had to call my friend one time from the parking lot as I was leaving a Target store....

"I did it! I did it! I spent less than $50 at Target!!"

:lmao

Since they don't have a running total on the registers, I just freaking cringe at the moment between the last item being scanned and the total button being pressed....

:lol :lol :rollin

Shelly
11-21-2004, 10:10 PM
ROFLMFAO!!

I actually had to call my friend one time from the parking lot as I was leaving a Target store....

"I did it! I did it! I spent less than $50 at Target!!"

:lmao

Since they don't have a running total on the registers, I just freaking cringe at the moment between the last item being scanned and the total button being pressed....

:lol :lol :rollin

:rollin

No kidding! But I did it yesterday and even bought a turkey! The butterballs were on sale for $.88 a pound and they had these automatic $2.50 off coupons. I got a 13+# turkey for like $9!

Shelly
01-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Web Posted: 01/13/2005 12:00 AM CST

Vincent T. Davis
San Antonio Express-News

HELOTES — The City Council late Wednesday imposed a moratorium on the site along Scenic Loop Road where Wal-Mart intended to build a store, saying a traffic study is needed first.

More Wal-Mart coverage
# Trouble is in store for Helotes Wal-Mart
# Helotes Wal-Mart foes speak up
# Group aims to stop Helotes Wal-Mart
# Bexar's hands tied on Helotes Wal-Mart
# Residents ready to battle Wal-Mart
Commentary
# Carlos Guerra: Scenic Loop Road residents, fans take on big-box behemoth

The decision came after Wal-Mart representatives attended Wednesday's special meeting, determined to hear what residents had to say.

The majority of the 300-plus people at the Helotes 4-H Center gave Wal-Mart plenty to listen to.

"You have to realize that a lot of animosity out here from citizens of Helotes is we just don't want Wal-Mart out here," Jon Allan, a Helotes Heritage Association founder, said to rousing cheers from the audience and a standing ovation.

His sentiments were echoed by a stream of residents lined up to voice their opposition. Helotes Mayor Steve Hodges called for the special session Dec. 2 in response to protests and numerous e-mails from residents angry about the proposed Wal-Mart.

(Bahram Mark Sobhani / Express-News)

Helotes residents applaud and direct signs toward Wal-Mart representatives after a speaker at Wednesday's special City Council meeting proclaimed Helotes doesn't want Wal-Mart.

After the residents finished speaking, the City Council went into executive session just after 10 p.m. and stayed there for about 90 minutes before their decision.

The Wal-Mart representatives came to Wednesday's session to answer questions and give a 45-minute presentation that included a slide show titled "A New Wal-Mart Custom Fit For Your Neighborhood."

After dealing with a barrage of questions and speeches for two hours and 15 minutes, Kimberly J. Ranele, Wal-Mart regional community affairs manager, said it was important to listen to residents and city leaders.

Allan's group, the Helotes Heritage Association, is an organization dedicated to preventing urban sprawl. It grew from grass-roots resistance that started with random home meetings.

More than 3,000 Helotes residents signed a petition opposing Wal-Mart's plans.

Residents cited endangerment to the environment and pollution runoff into the Helotes Creek and Edwards Aquifer and traffic jams as reasons to prevent construction at the pastoral Hill Country spot.

On Dec. 16, the association, along with the Save Our Springs Alliance of Austin and the Aquifer Guardians of Urban Areas, a local group, filed a notice of intent to sue in federal court.

The alliance was part of a coalition of environmental groups and residents successfully engineered the 2003 withdrawal of a Wal-Mart Supercenter from an aquifer recharge zone in Southwest Austin.

The intent to sue relies on citizen enforcement provisions of the Federal Clean Water Act and Endangered Species Act.link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA011305.3B.helotes_walmart.1cdcb59.html)

Kori Ellis
01-13-2005, 05:21 PM
We saw a guy last night that was wearing a shirt that read:

SAY NO TO WALMART
SAVE HELOTES

MannyIsGod
01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
That's fabulous. I didn't post the stuff about the new meetings here because I didn't think anyone woudl go.

If you guys would have seen the attitude of the Helotes CC at the first meeting, you would have been shocked. It's about time they servered their constiants in the way that the people obviously wanted.

Jimcs50
01-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I hate Wal Mart.

I am a Target man.

Bandit2981
01-13-2005, 05:58 PM
well i wish they wouldnt go ahead with the plan to build the wal-mart, but the only way to fight them where it hurts is for the citizens of helotes and surrounding areas to organize a boycott of that particular store once its built.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2005, 06:01 PM
We live very close to there. But there's already 2 more Wal-mart's very near us (2miles). Who needs another one?

timvp
01-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Who the hell has time to waste on fighting off a Walmart? Dude, it's just a big ass store. You aren't "saving Helotes" or anything, you're just wasting your time and energy.

Get a hobby or something.

Hook Dem
01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
And I'm sure you speak out of experience from being to these type of meetings, right?

Actually, most of the people at the meeting were not anti walmart in general, they simply thought the location was horrendous.
Before you go ballistic Manny, I have a couple of questions. But first, let me say I understand the objection to the location and agree with the residents. My first question is...do you live in the Helotes area? If you don't.......why do you feel you have a right to do any input at the meetings? Hell, I even have another question.....why do you feel the need to attend any meeting where contraversy is involved no matter what the subject and jurisdiction are? Just curious!

Shelly
01-13-2005, 06:26 PM
We live very close to there. But there's already 2 more Wal-mart's very near us (2miles). Who needs another one?

Not only that, there's on on DeZevala also. I hear there will be an HEB going in around there, however.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I have never been to the DeZevala one, but that's like 5 miles from here. Pretty crazy.

New H-E-B? Where?

ChumpDumper
01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't know exactly where they'd put this store unless they razed a lot of buildings like Floore and Helotes Bicycle (big ups to Hank if you're still out there; any place that can stay in business for 20+ years smelling that strongly of cat piss deserves it) -- across 16 from there maybe?.

Do we know the exact site? I suppose there is a bit of land to the west that is open. East would seem to place it too close to the creek. Haven't been there in a while -- is everything from Scenic Loop to 1604 built out?

Shelly
01-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I have never been to the DeZevala one, but that's like 5 miles from here. Pretty crazy.

New H-E-B? Where?

It will be in Helotes. Someone at the gym was telling me (he had one of those shirts) and he gave one of the FM roads. Maybe Bandera and 1560?

Chump--Helotes has really built up in the Hausman and Kyle Seale Pkwy area...Sonoma Ranch and Fossil Springs. We'll probably end up moving out that way in a few years.

ChumpDumper
01-13-2005, 06:49 PM
That's kind of where I thought a place like Wal Mart could be. I do remember there were still tons of land inside the loop that were open -- was hoping that was where most of the growth was occurring.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Texas is just a big, flat expanse of crop and pasture land. Who cares if they build another Wal Mart out there?! Heck, put 'em end-to-end across the state...they could call it "Wally World Across Texas - Lowering Everyone's Standard of Living One Small Town at a Time".

MannyIsGod
01-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Before you go ballistic Manny, I have a couple of questions. But first, let me say I understand the objection to the location and agree with the residents. My first question is...do you live in the Helotes area? If you don't.......why do you feel you have a right to do any input at the meetings? Hell, I even have another question.....why do you feel the need to attend any meeting where contraversy is involved no matter what the subject and jurisdiction are? Just curious!

Because I live in Bexar County, and the Wal Mart is being placed in Bexar County.

Also,I boycott Walmart because of the things they do. Underpaying women, pollution in enourmous amounts, and keeping their workers employeed on a part time basis as much as possible to avoid paying benefits. This is simply an extension of that.

I don't live in Heletoes, but I don't live in San Antonio either. I live in no specific municipality. I don't have a right to vote in either cities elections, nor do I get taxed by either city. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to voice my opinion, because things both cities do have an effect on me. That is why I have a right to input at these meetings.

I don't go to every meeting where contraversy is involved. I do try to attend as many as possible because I want things to change. Being an activist doesn't begin or end in a voting booth, it goes way beyond that. I don't make as much as an effort as I would like too at times, but I do as much as I can.

So to answer your last question very simply, because I care.

Hook Dem
01-13-2005, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=MannyIsGod]Because I live in Bexar County, and the Wal Mart is being placed in Bexar County.

Also,I boycott Walmart because of the things they do. Underpaying women, pollution in enourmous amounts, and keeping their workers employeed on a part time basis as much as possible to avoid paying benefits. This is simply an extension of that.

I don't live in Heletoes, but I don't live in San Antonio either. I live in no specific municipality. I don't have a right to vote in either cities elections, nor do I get taxed by either city. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to voice my opinion, because things both cities do have an effect on me. That is why I have a right to input at these meetings.

I don't go to every meeting where contraversy is involved. I do try to attend as many as possible because I want things to change. Being an activist doesn't begin or end in a voting booth, it goes way beyond that. I don't make as much as an effort as I would like too at times, but I do as much as I can.

So to answer your last question very simply, because I care.[/QUOTE

Shelly
01-13-2005, 07:28 PM
The growth on this side of town is scary! When we first moved out here, there was nada! Sadly, this area reminds me a lot of Orange County in CA. When we first moved there, it was still full of orange groves, etc. Now they put houses on lots the size of postage stamps. I blame a lot on KB Homes. No offense to anyone who lives in one, but they have neighborhoods everywhere that are huge and are constantly building new ones. Pulte is gettng just as bad.

However, it won't stop me from enjoying the Shops at La Cantera :)

Hook Dem
01-13-2005, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=MannyIsGod]Because I live in Bexar County, and the Wal Mart is being placed in Bexar County.

So to answer your last question very simply, because I care.[/QUOTE
Kudos to you for addressing all of the questions without a single curse word or insults. I was merely curious what your motivations were. My curiosity has been answered in a civil manner and I thank you for that. Good luck in your endeavors.