View Full Version : Bowen's Shooting

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Three-point Percentage
Nov and Dec - 48.4%
Jan and Feb - 26.3%
First 10 games of March - 19.0%
March 23 - present (7 games) - 56.5%

Maybe, just maybe Bruce found his shot. I know many of you wrote him off, called him a scrub, said he lost it and wouldn't ever find it again in his career, etc.

But Bowen has still been a great defender this year and I'm hoping that he's actually shot himself out of this horrible slump.

Only time will tell, but it looks good so far.

(I know the Bowen bashers will say 7 games is nothing - but he has to start somewhere so STFU)

Kobulingam
04-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Three-point Percentage
Nov and Dec - 48.4%
Jan and Feb - 26.3%

Maybe, just maybe Bruce found his shot. I know many of you wrote him off, called him a scrub, said he lost it and wouldn't ever find it again in his career, etc.

But Bowen has still been a great defender this year and I'm hoping that he's actually shot himself out of this horrible slump.

Only time will tell, but it looks good so far.

(I know the Bowen bashers will say 7 games is nothing - but he has to start somewhere so STFU)

Maybe the old dog takes longer to adjust to different balls?

Trainwreck2100
04-04-2007, 12:49 AM
i haven't said he sucks, just he needed to pull his head out of his ass. The Spurs will need him to make those when they play Pho. on Thursday, especially when D'antoni puts Nash on him.

traitoravery
04-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Wasn't his back bothering him earlier this year?

milkyway21
04-04-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm glad i wasn't one of them.

who can hate a Spur who's there on the floor despite back spasms?

how many consecutive games-season & playoffs this iron man has played since he became a starter for this team?

Fabbs
04-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Wasn't his back bothering him earlier this year?
Yes isn't this a back deal all the way.

While I don't want to see Bowen guarding Dirk again should it come to that, one of the ways to *slow* Dirk is to make him play some defense.
In other words, let Bowen play some offense.

If Bruces shot is back, great. :spin

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 02:10 AM
Bowen said it wasn't a back thing but more of a new ball thing.

It was probably a combination of both, but hopefully he's on the way out of it.

MoSpur
04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I am glad to see him hitting the one only shot he has.

VaSpursFan
04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I am glad to see him hitting the one only shot he has.
:lol :lol :lol

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
It's great to see Bowen's shot back, along with Finley's resurgence.

The only concern is that this is in the setting of the team becoming three-point happy, which I think will be a problem if it continues into the playoffs.

wildbill2u
04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Three-point Percentage
Nov and Dec - 48.4%
Jan and Feb - 26.3%

We were told that the average of the season meant nothing in many posts that defended his play so I don't see that we should argue about the last seven games or the last 70. Let it play out. We'll all know by the end of this year's run exactly how well Bowen has played.

The thing I worry about is a team setting their up strategy to "Let Bowen beat us." Basically you have his defensive skills vs. his poor ball handling, and lack of rebounding and steals, and questionable shooting of FG & FTs.

I hope he plays well (or adequately at an NBA starter level) in all facets of the game. We can't win against high quality teams if he doesn't.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I think impatience really makes us brutal on our players.

I remember not being too worried about Finley's stroke, and was pretty assured he'd find it again.

however, I don't think the flak Bowen got in the last months had to do with him missing his threes, I think more people had problems with the fact that he was mixing up his offensive game with runners, 16 footers, and taking it to the hole.

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Bruce and Finley are both feeling it right now.

01Snake
04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
If anyone has lost their shot, its Horry.

01Snake
04-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm also LOVIN' Finley over the past few weeks. The guy has been money. If he continues to play like this in the playoffs, we're golden!

Fabbs
04-04-2007, 12:07 PM
however, I don't think the flak Bowen got in the last months had to do with him missing his threes, I think more people had problems with the fact that he was mixing up his offensive game with runners, 16 footers, and taking it to the hole.
Noooo. It is exactly as wildbill2u wrote, we need Bowen to do more then just be a 3 point prop. Ditto Finley, Ditto Barry.

The thing I worry about is a team setting their up strategy to "Let Bowen beat us." Basically you have his defensive skills vs. his poor ball handling, and lack of rebounding and steals, and questionable shooting of FG & FTs.

Dre_7
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Wouldnt it be great if Fin, Barry, and Bruce were all feeling it come playoff time??

Add a few Horry clutch shots to the mix, and thats a recipe for a forth title! :D

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Why do so many people here think that the only thing stopping the Spurs from the title is their shooting? :wtf

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Why do so many people here think that the only thing stopping the Spurs from the title is their shooting? :wtf

Shhh.. don't tell them anything about rebounding or anything else :)

Did I mention Lamar Odom is averaging 14 rpg over the last seven games?

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
We were told that the average of the season meant nothing in many posts that defended his play so I don't see that we should argue about the last seven games or the last 70. Let it play out. We'll all know by the end of this year's run exactly how well Bowen has played.

I am not arguing any point on the subject. Just pointing out that he looks like he may be coming out of a bad shooting slump. :wtf

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
If given a choice between having only one of:

a) Bowen, Finley, and Barry being on fire during the playoffs

or

b) Elson, Horry, and Oberto giving us solid rebounding and defense in the paint and Bowen, Finley, and Barry shooting just adequately,

I'd take b) every time.

timvp
04-04-2007, 01:31 PM
The thing I worry about is a team setting their up strategy to "Let Bowen beat us."
That has never worked against the Spurs. In 2002 and 2004, Bowen was the one player who consistently hit threes for the Spurs against the Lakers when everyone else went ice cold.

Last year, AJ never let Bowen get open. He'd have the guy guarding Bowen stay on Bowen the whole time and never wanted to give him an open shot. Coaches like Phil Jackson and AJ realize that Bowen isn't a choker and will hit shots in the playoffs if he's open. They don't test him.

In Bowen's six years in the playoffs for the Spurs, he has shot from three-point land: 44%, 44%, 38%, 43% and last year 50%. For comparison sakes, Golden Boy Manu Ginobili's career playoff three-point percentage is lower than Bowen's worst showing.

I hope teams this playoffs dare Bowen to beat them. But by now, people know his reputation and will force someone else to beat them.

Well, people other than Spurs fans, that is.

Basically you have his defensive skills vs. his poor ball handling, and lack of rebounding and steals, and questionable shooting of FG & FTs.

I hope he plays well (or adequately at an NBA starter level) in all facets of the game. We can't win against high quality teams if he doesn't.

Bowen is getting more assists and steals than he did in either 2003 or 2005. He's getting as many rebounds as he did in 2003. His turnover numbers are the same. He's fouling less.

It's like people just found nba.com/stats and think there is something wrong. Bowen is playing just how he played the last two times the Spurs won the championship.

As long as he stays healthy, he's one of the players I worry about the least going into the playoffs. You don't have to worry about him bringing defensive energy, especially in the playoffs.

Having the best perimeter defender in the league covers up a lot of holes that will be exposed the day Bowen loses a step. Sadly enough, Spurs fans won't realize what they had until it's gone.

T Park
04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I doubt they will listen TIMVP, they will continue to hate and blindly ignore Bowen.

Shame.

T Park
04-04-2007, 01:52 PM
we need Bowen to do more then just be a 3 point prop. Ditto Finley, Ditto Barry.

yeah being a good 3 point shooter, and best perimeter defender in the game is clearly not enough.

mikejones99
04-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Back den yall hatin on him, now he's on fire you kiss his ass bitches. BAck to killin people

ggoose25
04-04-2007, 03:32 PM
his spot, his shot

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I just hope we don't play too much small ball

everything else will work itself out

E20
04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
How many shots has he attempted? You can't just look at percentages.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
How many shots has he attempted? You can't just look at percentages.

13 out of 23 in the last 7 games.

E20
04-04-2007, 05:02 PM
That's right around the shots I'd like to see him taking 4-5. Only three's though, no mid-range jumpers, please.

Fabbs
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
yeah being a good 3 point shooter, and best perimeter defender in the game is clearly not enough.
2006 Mavs 4-3.
You are correct.
Driving, midrange will help.

tlongII
04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
You know what they say about the "blind squirrel." Bowen sucks ass.

T Park
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
2006 Mavs 4-3.
You are correct.
Driving, midrange will help.

Once again, shocking, you make zero sense.

Fabbs
04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Once again, shocking, you make zero sense.
Once again, I'll dumb it down for you when i have time. :lol :wakeup

T Park
04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Once again, I'll dumb it down for you when i have time

You mean, Fabbs it down? Ok.

Nikos
04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm really hoping Bowen has a HUGE shooting game or two in his arsenal for this years playoffs. In 2003 he was huge against the Lakers because not only did he play good defense, he had that huge 27 point outburst which helped the Spurs gain early and pivotal control in the series.

One game or two like that should the Spurs end up playing the Suns and Dallas (if they make it) it would be huge to have him shooting well.

Kobulingam
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Once again, I'll dumb it down for you when i have time. :lol :wakeup

Dumb it down? Your post is no better than a random string of alphabet characters. How could you dumb it down more?

T Park
04-04-2007, 10:05 PM
:lol

Pugglekicker_21
04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
[ I know many of you wrote him off, called him a scrub, said he lost it and wouldn't ever find it again in his career, etc.

[QUOTE= my dumb ass]I didnt mean to bash bowen.

No maybe i did...yep classify me a Bowen hater.....

Guilty as sin.....

T Park
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
If anyone has lost their shot, its Horry.

Uh yeah, quite evident in these past games he HASN'T played. :wtf