PDA

View Full Version : Bonner and Oberto >>> Elson

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this? Elson seems to have the hands of Nazr (at times) and he can't seem to defend without fouling.

Plus, he doesn't seem to be as aggressive as Bonner and he's not as good a passer as Oberto.

AFBlue
04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Elson has more athleticism and shot-blocking ability than either. He can also step out and hit a 15-18 footer. Surely he is inconsistent, but I wouldn't say Oberto or Bonner are the model of consistency either. It's really tough to say which is better, but suffice it to say, none of them have distinguished themselves enough to be the sure-fire starter next to Timmy.

T Park
04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Oberto isn't >>>>>> on anyone.

It was the Sonics. They stink, he stinks.

Settle down.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Oberto has a nice 10-12 foot jumper too. But he's too dang slow. I wish he could be more aggressive at times.

Louae
04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Oberto has a nice 10-12 foot jumper too. But he's too dang slow. I wish he could be more aggressive at times.

Oberto is only effective when he's on the edge of fouling. Otherwise, he's worthless out there b/c he's too slow.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 08:36 AM
But he did have a double-double against the Sonics. Not bad, we really need his length if we want to have an edge on the boards. Plus he knows how to get good looks too, down in the paint below the ring, I think, is his comfort zone.

Only thing I like about Elson is his ability to run in fastbreak.

For some reason, I feel uncomfortable on how Bonner runs. He's like got something stuck in his pants its really weird. But I do love his hustle.

Dave McNulla
04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
all three of them are inconsistent. that means on a given night
player a > player b > player c

you just don't know who player a, player b, and player c are going to be.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM

you just don't know who player a, player b, and player c are going to be.:tu

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Our starters had 7 friggin rebounds combined last night.

Still the team outrebounded Seattle by a wide margin.

The only conclusion you can draw from that is that Seattle really, really sucks. I wouldn't make any future projections based on it.

wildbill2u
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM

I agree. There is no one player who has separated himself from this bunch decisively. However, I think Bonner plays with more aggressiveness than either of the other two.

I think Pop simply looks at the matchups and tries to fit in the player he thinks will do best against a certain team/player. Sometimes they step up--and sometimes they don't.

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Still the team outrebounded Seattle by a wide margin.

The only conclusion you can draw from that is that Seattle really, really sucks. I wouldn't make any future projections based on it.

I think Tony had the most rebounds, if I'm not mistaken. :wtf

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 10:52 AM

??

Tony had six alone.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I think Tony had the most rebounds, if I'm not mistaken. :wtfYou're right.

Yahoo last night had him listed for zero. My bad.

DarrinS
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I think what's been bugging me most about Elson is he gets a rebound only to let it slip out of his hands. Does he have Kevin Willis sized hands or something?

When I see Bonner grab a rebound, he always seems to hold on to it.

Cherry
04-04-2007, 12:32 PM

bingo! :tu

shelshor
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I think Tony had the most rebounds, if I'm not mistaken. :wtf
Among the starters; Oberto had 10 and Bonner had 9--5 offensive and 4 defensive
And Bowen was the Spurs leading scorer
Shows how bad the Sonics are

T Park
04-04-2007, 01:55 PM
But he did have a double-double against the Sonics.

That and 50 bucks will get you a coffee at starbucks.

Not bad, we really need his length if we want to have an edge on the boards.

no we need him to hustle, rebound better, and stop being such a fuckup and bring the same energy every night, not just "sometimes"

Bruno
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070404

Francisco Elson and Fabricio Oberto have played well the past month, with great intangibles, not so much in things that show in the stats.

:lmao

timvp
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
:lmao

Exactly.

Elson keeps averaging less and less rebounds and points per game as the months go on. In March, Elson averaged 4.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and less than a block while shooting 46.6% in 20.3 minutes per game.

I hate small ball, but with Elson putting up invisible numbers, it's hard to keep playing him. At least early in the year he was averaging closer to 6, 6 and 1 in the same amount of minutes.

Too bad Bonner isn't more of a defender. Given Elson minutes, Bonner for the month of March would have averaged 8.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

Bruno
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Agree, Spurs bigs are a real concern (Duncan aside).

Scary stat 1 :
None of Spurs bigs outside Tim average more than 5 pts or 5 rbds per game this year.

Scary stat 2 :
The player (Horry) who should close games with Tim has averaged 1.7 pts, shooting 20% from the field and grabed 2.3 rbds per game in March.

Spurs should be fine at PG/SG/SF with Parker/Vaughn, Manu/Barry, Bruce/Finley but they really need that 2 bigmen step up for the playoffs to have a decent 3 bigs rotation with Tim.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Agree, Spurs bigs are a real concern (Duncan aside).

Scary stat 1 :
None of Spurs bigs outside Tim average more than 5 pts or 5 rbds per game this year.

Scary stat 2 :
The player (Horry) who should close games with Tim has averaged 1.7 pts, shooting 20% from the field and grabed 2.3 rbds per game in March.

Spurs should be fine at PG/SG/SF with Parker/Vaughn, Manu/Barry, Bruce/Finley but they really need that 2 bigmen step up for the playoffs to have a decent 3 bigs rotation with Tim.

That just might be the most depressing set of stats I've heard all year :depressed

T Park
04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
christ how about, just saying, What the hell, lets just go play the games and whatever happens happens.

God you cant win rings EVERY year.

spoiled brats.

mavsfan1000
04-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Elson>Bonner>Oberto. Easy choice.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2007, 07:37 PM
christ how about, just saying, What the hell, lets just go play the games and whatever happens happens.

God you cant win rings EVERY year.

spoiled brats.

Uhhh all I said was that was a depressing stat

Which it is

T Park
04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Only if you let it be.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
:lol, when did T Park go Zen?

ploto
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Scary stat 1 :

Yeah-- but none are playing more than 19 minutes per game.

Also, given that Elson is shooting 53% and Oberto 55% , it is kind of hard to fault them for not getting to take more shots.

T Park
04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
when did T Park go Zen?

the weeks after game 7 last year :lol

mavs>spurs2
04-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Elson>dogshit>Oberto

twincam
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this? Elson seems to have the hands of Nazr (at times) and he can't seem to defend without fouling.

Plus, he doesn't seem to be as aggressive as Bonner and he's not as good a passer as Oberto.

I too agree that Elson has the hands of Nazr and Malik. I hate seeing that shit. It always happens when they get the ball under the basket for a power slam...only to lose the handle of it.

Bruno
04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah-- but none are playing more than 19 minutes per game.

Also, given that Elson is shooting 53% and Oberto 55% , it is kind of hard to fault them for not getting to take more shots.

I fault them for being poor offensive players (and not only for that).
After it's better to have a player who knows that he is poor offensive player and take only the easy shots, than a player who sucks but who thinks that he is good and shoots a lot.

You're right about the playing time. In fact Spurs bigs have quite good stats per minute. Franbricio Elberto is a after all a player who averages 9.3 ppg, 9.4 rpg in 36.5 min with a high FG%.