PDA

View Full Version : Manu???

spursintpe
04-04-2007, 08:33 AM
I've been lurking on the forum for a few years. Now I have a question.
Is Manu still on the bench because Pop has lost trust in him? Can he not play with starters and bring energy? Is he comfortable being on the bench still this close to playoffs?

He seemed to be a non-entity in the game last night. Good that Bruce and Fin stepped up, but it probably isn't good to not have everyone bring their best game for the playoffs.

ducks
04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
dude is having his best year
dude is better playing limited minutes the way he plays
if pop did not trust him he would not play him in the 4 quarter

polandprzem
04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
I wonder if there be a time in my life time when I will stop wondering why people can't understand this.

He is a part of a team gotdamit - look at his minutes, look at what he is doing on the floor, check out the history and you will find out if Pop trusts him

sheesh

Extra Stout
04-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Manu is on the bench because the team falls apart when one of the Big 3 isn't on the floor. Having Manu come off the bench makes it easier to put him in while Tim or Tony are resting.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Eh, I don't see why you guys have to get all hostile...

anyway, uh, I'm pretty sure Manu will be starting some games when the playoffs come around.

What matters most is Manu plays the same amount of minutes as he does when starting.

other than that, it has no effect on him playing his "best game". Manu didn't play much last night (only around 22 minutes?), because he didn't have to, because it was one of those balanced wins again.

I'm pretty sure, they're gonna have to go with their best players in the starting line up when the competition goes with their best players. As others have said, they're gonna bring their A-games in the playoffs, and Manu's probably gonna be needed on D, for the first 6 minutes in the 1st quarter.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
We needed a spark off the bench, so Manu becomes kinda like the equalizer of the team.

Statwise, he's had some bad games as of late, but I think he'll find his rhythm soon, just like Barry, Findog and Bowen did this season.

ObiwanGinobili
04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Whenever manu plays 6th man you notice his game improves - and he improves the team overall.
Sure - Manu's skill 'deserves' the traditional reward of beiong a starter. But he's not that egotistical, and both he and Pop know what works best for the team.

when Manu comes in off the bench he is like a burst of energy and enthusiasm for the entire team, I've seen him come in and totally change the tempo of the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah, and even if there isn't enough "ball to go around" when Manu starts, don't think of it as Manu being, "the odd man out" in the big three.

It's the bench that is lame. If it had another couple energy guys. Manu would be starting. And the rotations would be adjusted where he would still get enough touches, despite starting with the Tim and Tony.

I don't think Manu's game is dependent on coming off the bench, as some like to insist. It has more to do with the stretches where he leads the team. And gets his number called. The bench option is easier for Pop to do manage touches that way.

ArgSpursFan
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
manu is the 2nd most important player for the Spurs(after tim) and the 1st option for the last 4 mins of any game,if its a close one.

Dirk Nowitzki
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I wonder if there be a time in my life time when I will stop wondering why people can't understand this.

He is a part of a team god damnit - look at his minutes, look at what he is doing on the floor, check out the history and you will find out if Pop trusts him

sheesh

Fixed

powerpower
04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
i don't know...i just think that manu should be rewarded for all that he gives to this team like tim and tony are....

ducks
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
manu is the 2nd most important player for the Spurs(after tim) and the 1st option for the last 4 mins of any game,if its a close one.
:rolleyes :rolleyes

I think the number 2 player is whoever is hotter tp or manu :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

sprrs
04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
i don't know...i just think that manu should be rewarded for all that he gives to this team like tim and tony are....

You think Manu wants to be "rewarded" with the starting spot? He wants to be "rewarded" with a win.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Manu is on the bench because he told Pop he is tired of Tony not passing him the ball and he would rather play on the second team with Jacque.

powerpower
04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Manu is on the bench because he told Pop he is tired of Tony not passing him the ball and he would rather play on the second team with Jacque.

Bingo!

powerpower
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM
You think Manu wants to be "rewarded" with the starting spot? He wants to be "rewarded" with a win.

yeah but when u don't get the win..........u got nothing

Nikos
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
If Tony plays to his capabilities in the playoffs they are about of equal value -- considering Tony plays more MPG.

But in general Manu has been the more valuable player since 2005 if you factor in the playoffs, and generally playing as good or a lot better than the regular season.

Tony was hurt vs Dallas last year, so I can understand him not playing like a monster (although he didn't exactly play worse than Terry or Josh Howard either).

I am just hoping this is Tony's year to finally step up big time in the playoffs. Every playoffs he has had the occasional outburst and a handful of decent scoring games -- but the Spurs will really need him to overachieve in this years playoffs to have a chance at winning the title.

Parker and Manu have to do quite well for the team to succeed. Of course this is assuming Tim plays like he did in the 06 playoffs. If the big three plays like they did in 2004 then the team is in big trouble.

Clutch20
04-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Pop plays Manu like a violin, pluck the 1st string, or the 2nd or 3rd, 4th, it doesn't matter he'll still make pretty good music.

powerpower
04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
well..i think manu is the key in the playoffs if he stepps it up...we might be able to win it all like in 05... but if parker steps it up to like take over games we might not be able to win it all..because teams know what he is going to do and if they take his inner game well "hopefully" he can shoot some jumpers .
if he is not a clutch player now ..please he is not just gonna wake up at the end of this month and win games for us...i just think when the pressure is on he does not respond well to it.....

Pugglekicker_21
04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
The bench is good for Manu. It shows how the rest of the NBA should be like, without ego.

sprrs
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
yeah but when u don't get the win..........u got nothing

Not getting the win and starting is just as bad as not getting the win and coming off the bench to him.

ploto
04-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Manu gets more opportunities on the offensive end when he plays without Tim and Tony.

GrandeDavid
04-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Manu is on the bench because the team falls apart when one of the Big 3 isn't on the floor. Having Manu come off the bench makes it easier to put him in while Tim or Tony are resting.

Igzaktly. I couldn't have said it better.

ginobili fan
04-05-2007, 04:27 AM
If Tony plays to his capabilities in the playoffs they are about of equal value -- considering Tony plays more MPG.

But in general Manu has been the more valuable player since 2005 if you factor in the playoffs, and generally playing as good or a lot better than the regular season.

Tony was hurt vs Dallas last year, so I can understand him not playing like a monster (although he didn't exactly play worse than Terry or Josh Howard either).

I am just hoping this is Tony's year to finally step up big time in the playoffs. Every playoffs he has had the occasional outburst and a handful of decent scoring games -- but the Spurs will really need him to overachieve in this years playoffs to have a chance at winning the title.

Parker and Manu have to do quite well for the team to succeed. Of course this is assuming Tim plays like he did in the 06 playoffs. If the big three plays like they did in 2004 then the team is in big trouble.

whatever, the spurs will be a monster when both tim,tony and manu would play great.

nkdlunch
04-05-2007, 03:25 PM
He seemed to be a non-entity in the game last night. Good that Bruce and Fin stepped up, but it probably isn't good to not have everyone bring their best game for the playoffs.

when you start on the bench I think it makes you more inconsistent game in and game out. Imagine Parker or Duncan starting on the bench, they would be more inconsistent.

Pop will start manu when we have our backs agains the wall sometime in the playoffs. or even earlier.

Nikos
04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
whatever, the spurs will be a monster when both tim,tony and manu would play great.

When has that ever happened in the playoffs? Answer = Never.