PDA

View Full Version : Team USA update: Waffling by LeBron irks Colangelo

ducks
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Team USA update: Waffling by LeBron irks Colangelo

If LeBron James wants to assure himself of a trip to the Beijing Olympics, he'd better show up for more than a cameo in Las Vegas this summer.

In a blunt retort to James' statement that he is only "50-50" on playing for the United States at the Tournament of the Americas Olympic qualifying tournament, Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo told ESPN.com that James could be jeopardizing his status as one of the five or six core players for the Beijing Olympics.

"Unless people have a legitimate reason for not participating, I expect them to uphold their three-year commitment. I'm standing by my commitment and I expect people to stand by theirs. If someone chooses not to participate just because they'd rather not play, that person would put himself at risk as far as who ultimately represents us at the Olympics," Colangelo said.

Coming off a third-place finish at last summer's World Championship, Team USA will attempt to qualify for the Olympics at the Tournament of the Americas in Las Vegas Aug. 22-Sept. 2. Because two spots are at stake for teams from the region, the most important game will be the semifinal on Sept. 1.

Team USA will have a roster that looks quite different from the one Colangelo brought to Japan last summer, with new additions Jason Kidd and Carlos Boozer -- both former Olympians -- expected to play alongside Kobe Bryant, Michael Redd, Chauncey Billups, Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire, none of whom was on last summer's Japan roster due to extenuating circumstances.

"It'll be based on merit, but you could see a number of changes," Colangelo said.

Colangelo also said Team USA members Paul Pierce and Lamar Odom, both of whom are expected to have surgery in the offseason, will not be in the mix for spots on the 2008 team.

"I don't have a rule, but it just makes common sense that if you miss the first two events you don't go to the third," Colangelo said, adding that he also does not expect to have Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson and Chris Paul on the Tournament of the Americas roster because of their various injuries and possible surgeries.
In addition to Kidd, Boozer and Greg Oden (who attended camp briefly last summer), at least two other new players are expected to be invited to training camp in mid-July. One is all but certain to be Kevin Durant of the University of Texas, and another could be Deron Williams of the Utah Jazz.

Colangelo expects everyone on the roster to attend mini-camp in Las Vegas in mid-July, with 15 players being brought back Aug. 12 when the team assembles for camp 10 days prior to the Tournament of the Americas.

Whether James is among those 15 is something to keep an eye on.

James gave his "50-50" prognosis last month, saying: "Right now, I'm 50-50. My girlfriend is expecting another in June. Health is always an issue. You have to re-evaluate things, go through the season, go through the playoffs and then look at it afterward." James has waffled to varying degrees throughout the season when questioned on the subject, repeatedly saying he wants to sit down with his family to discuss it after the NBA season.

But his "50-50" comment clearly did not sit well with Colangelo, who excused two players last summer for personal reasons (Redd had longstanding wedding plans that conflicted with the World Championship schedule, and Billups wanted to be with his wife for the birth of a child).

"I'm not giving out a free pass, that's my point," Colangelo said, emphasizing that he expects the same level of commitment from everyone on the roster, not just James. "You have to look at each individual situation and weigh it."

Jeopardizing his spot on the Beijing roster would be a huge risk for James, who has been studying Mandarin as he seeks to become even more of a marketing and pop icon in China. [B]There's are financial implications, too, for James, who would lose more than $250,000 in endorsement bonuses from Nike, Coca-Cola and Upper Deck if he failed to make the 2008 Beijing roster.

Kevin Garnett, a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team who in 2005 declined Colangelo's overtures to rejoin Team USA, told reporters in Minneapolis on Thursday that James needs to do what's right for James.

"The body can only take so much," Garnett said. "It's hard to make other people understand that. But sometimes, you have to do what's best for yourself for you to be productive. It's easy to sit in the back and critique what others do, but it's one of the hardest things to do in our league.

"Let me tell you what's going to happen. LeBron is going to step up and not going let the pressure dictate what he's doing," Garnett said. "I think USA Basketball is trying to throw it on him. He's human. Otherwise, he's going to break down and no one wants to see that. At one point he'll step up and speak up, and that's all right to do that. Your body is telling you. You have to listen to your body. If he's going to be effective in the playoffs, he'll have to do that."

Colangelo also said he wants to have a clear-the-air meeting with Gilbert Arenas, whose departure from the team during an exhibition tour of South Korea was less than amicable. Colangelo said he unsuccessfully tried to contact Arenas when he was in Washington last weekend, getting a message that Arenas' voice mailbox was full.

"We need to have a conversation, and he needs to say some appropriate things," Colangelo said.

Colangelo traveled last month to China to secure Olympic housing for his team, finally pulling out a DVD of last summer's US loss to Greece in the World Championship semifinal and watching it for the first time.

"It was like reliving a nightmare. Everything I remembered, that's what I saw," said Colangelo, who refused to pin blame on head coach Mike Krzyzewski or anyone else for the team's inability to defend the high pick-and-roll play that Greece executed to perfection time after time, building a huge third-quarter lead that withstood the Americans' late comeback attempt.

"No one bears blame. The bottom line is we didn't accomplish what we set out to accomplish, and we all share in the responsibility, good and bad, beginning with me," Colangelo said.

Team USA will open play in the Tournament of the Americas on Aug. 22 against Venezuela. Other first-round opponents will be the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and Brazil, whose best big man, Nene, is not expected to play because of his strained ties with the Brazilian basketball federation. The other side of the Tournament of the Americas draw includes Uruguay, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama and defending Olympic champion Argentina, whose best player, Manu Ginobili, is expected to announce soon whether he plans to compete this summer.

Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez plans to travel to the United States and Europe later this month to speak with his country's top players to determine who is in and who is out. Argentina finished a disappointing fourth in Japan, losing its semifinal match to eventual champion Spain when Andres Nocioni missed an open 18-foot jumper at the final buzzer, then dropping the bronze medal game 96-81 against Team USA.

"There are three [FIBA Americas] teams who ought to win the [FIBA Americas] Championship, because of their global status," Hernandez told PA Sport. "They are Argentina, Brazil and the United States.

"There will be only two [Olympics] spots for these three."

The teams finishing third, fourth and fifth in the Tournament of the Americas will gain berths in a new 12-team pre-Olympic second-chance qualifier July 7-13, 2008, at a site to be determined.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Its US against the world again.

boutons_
04-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Colangelo needs to quit waffling. If LBJ doesn't play this summer, he's off the national team until after the Olympics.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 09:22 AM
They should have had Bowen and Arenas there. Take off Jamison and somebody else. Greece killed us with their three-point shooters in the last game.

JMarkJohns
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
They should have had Bowen and Arenas there. Take off Jamison and somebody else. Greece killed us with their three-point shooters in the last game.

They should add on Corey Brewer. I'm not joking. Get rid of all the overhyped athleticism and nonskill that is LeBron, bring in a youngster who embraces a defined role, can defend, rebound, run in transition and shoot the three, and win with several stars and a majority of good, quality role players to do the dirty work.

monosylab1k
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
They should add on Corey Brewer. I'm not joking. Get rid of all the overhyped athleticism and nonskill that is LeBron, bring in a youngster who embraces a defined role, can defend, rebound, run in transition and shoot the three, and win with several stars and a majority of good, quality role players to do the dirty work.

get Humphrey on that team too. International game is all about the 3 pointer, just like the college game.

JMarkJohns
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I think there are plenty of quality shooters in the NBA already. One just has to add them. There aren't too many players like Brewer, though. Maybe some with his skills, bu they are either headcases (Artest) or older and/or more limited on offense (Bowen/Marion). Brewer has the length and athleticism, the defensive instincts, the team mentality and the passion for winning. That's what the team needs.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
There are plenty of guys in the American roster who can shoot threes. They just need to have a lockdown perimeter defender. Bowen and Battier are perfect, but Bowen would most likely ruin the offense. I think coach K is a more offensive person rather than defensive.

Dre_7
04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey Ducks. You said you would tell me why you hate Lebron so much. Yet you still havent. :wtf

Whats the deal? What did he so wrong??

monosylab1k
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
There are plenty of guys in the American roster who can shoot threes.

Like who?

Carmelo Anthony - good, not great
Shane Battier - good only when wide open
Chris Bosh - doesn't shoot 3's
Elton Brand - doesn't shoot 3's
Kirk Hinrich - streaky
Dwight Howard - doesn't shoot 3's
LeBron James - mediocre to average
Antawn Jamison - streaky
Joe Johnson - good not great
Brad Miller - streaky
Chris Paul - average
Dwyane Wade - mediocre to bad

we have a couple of good 3 point shooters, but nobody spectacular. In the international game, three pointers rain down like crazy. you're going against lineups where all 5 guys on the floor can shoot 3's like Peja.

Unless they get guys like Michael Redd and Ray Allen or an automatic 3 guy like Humphrey, this team will not be able to match the three point shooting ability of the other teams.

mavsfan1000
04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Fuck Colangelo for trying to pressure Lebron like that. Yeah Lebron should play but the NBA season is much more important and Lebron's stats are way down. He should do what's best for him.

JMarkJohns
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Fuck Colangelo? For what, adhering to something every other country does/has? Chemistry? Hard to have good chemistry developed by 2008 if half your stars are wishy washy and not truly in it. If LeBron wants out, cut him loose. If he wants to play, he has to play 2006, 2007 and 2008, just as he agreed to do.

Personally, I think America could do no worse if they left the superstars off, drafted a team of one-time college players, paid them to scrimmage against NBADL teams as practice and then against an NBA team or three every preseason. There are plenty of fundamentally sound, highly skilled, even athletic players that just need the chance, the coaching and the chemistry. Not just thrown together, but treated like a real team. Get a group of 20 players, have them work each other as two teams of 10 throughout the year, then have the coaches select the 12 best of the group and have the others be injury replacements. Hell, the NBA could pay each $100,000 a year for their time.

Think of all the quality college players that went on to become stars in Europe. If they can become stars in the FIBA style, then why, if made a team, can't they win in the FIBA style?

101A
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Kobe & Redd are going to be big additions for Team USA.

SRJ
04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Fuck Colangelo for trying to pressure Lebron like that. Yeah Lebron should play but the NBA season is much more important and Lebron's stats are way down. He should do what's best for him.

LeBron's stats are "way down"?

42.5 MPG
48.0 FG%
33.5 3FG%
31.4 PPG
7.0 RPG
6.6 APG
1.6 SPG
3.3 TOPG

41.0 MPG
47.8 FG%
32.3 3FG%
27.5 PPG
6.8 RPG
6.0 APG
1.7 SPG
3.3 TOPG

I see a slight decline here and there, a notable drop in points but he's still #5 in the NBA in that category. Way down?

monosylab1k
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
James has to do what's best for him, but he did make a commitment to this team. If he backs out now, he's basically supporting the terrorists.

bdictjames
04-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Like who?

Carmelo Anthony - good, not great
Shane Battier - good only when wide open
Chris Bosh - doesn't shoot 3's
Elton Brand - doesn't shoot 3's
Kirk Hinrich - streaky
Dwight Howard - doesn't shoot 3's
LeBron James - mediocre to average
Antawn Jamison - streaky
Joe Johnson - good not great
Brad Miller - streaky
Chris Paul - average
Dwyane Wade - mediocre to bad

we have a couple of good 3 point shooters, but nobody spectacular. In the international game, three pointers rain down like crazy. you're going against lineups where all 5 guys on the floor can shoot 3's like Peja.

Unless they get guys like Michael Redd and Ray Allen or an automatic 3 guy like Humphrey, this team will not be able to match the three point shooting ability of the other teams.
I dont know about the other games, but when I was watching some games of the tournament, everybody was raining down jumpers and threes at the opponent. I think only Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh were scoring mostly on the inside.

monosylab1k
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I dont know about the other games, but when I was watching some games of the tournament, everybody was raining down jumpers and threes at the opponent. I think only Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh were scoring mostly on the inside.

they took alot of jumpers, but couldn't consistently make them (i.e. 9 for 28 on 3 pointers in the game they lost vs. Greece)