PDA

View Full Version : Question for Deer Hunters...

Sportcamper
04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Do any of you go on these “Baby Seal Hunts”...Is this considered a sport like “Deer Hunting”...

OTTAWA (AFP) - Canada's "baby seal hunt" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070402/sc_afp/canadaanimalsealhunt_070402183141) kicked off Monday with the aim of bashing 270,000 baby harp seals...

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070402/capt.sge.lll51.020407183506.photo00.photo.default-512x329.jpg

Phenomanul
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Do any of you go on these “Baby Seal Hunts”...Is this considered a sport like “Deer Hunting”...

OTTAWA (AFP) - Canada's "baby seal hunt" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070402/sc_afp/canadaanimalsealhunt_070402183141) kicked off Monday with the aim of bashing 270,000 baby harp seals...

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070402/capt.sge.lll51.020407183506.photo00.photo.default-512x329.jpg

a deplorable and despicable 'sport'.... I thought the banning movement had made some headway....

jman3000
04-04-2007, 11:03 AM
i dont see the comparison to deer hunting... most deer hunters won't harvest a young deer because they usually want to give it a chance to grow bigger before they shoot it.

I've hunted deer since before i was a teenager and i've never taken a shot at anything that would remotely be considered a young deer.

clubbing a seal to death is 10x as cruel as a clean shot through the heart.

THE ONE AND ONLY
04-04-2007, 11:29 AM
OTTAWA (AFP) - Canada's commercial seal hunt kicked off Monday with the aim of harvesting 270,000 harp seals, but only a few boats left port in search of prey, officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070402/sc_afp/canadaanimalsealhunt_070402183141

CosmicCowboy
04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
They won't ever stop the seal hunts as long as the fishing industry in Canada packs the political clout that they currently have. Seals are a huge competitor with the commercial fishing fleet and they breed like rats.

Bob Lanier
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/canadian/details/canadian_club_classic_gr.jpg

johnsmith
04-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Texas style deer hunting or actual deer hunting?

bendmz
04-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Texas style deer hunting or actual deer hunting?

the difference being ????

johnsmith
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
the difference being ????

I've never been on a hunt outside of Texas in which we set up food and then sit in a blind for a couple hours in the morning waiting for the deer to show up and eat. To me, that's shooting, not hunting.

I don't know, I guess because I grew up and lived in so many places that if you were going to go out and try and kill a deer, you had to camp out in the middle of a forest and then do quite a bit of other work in order to even find a deer, let alone kill one.

I like to give Texans a hard time about this, however, I've killed a lot more deer since moving here then I had my entire life previously.

Flight3107
04-04-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.noisebot.com/images/club-rblue.gif

bendmz
04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I've never been on a hunt outside of Texas in which we set up food and then sit in a blind for a couple hours in the morning waiting for the deer to show up and eat. To me, that's shooting, not hunting.

I don't know, I guess because I grew up and lived in so many places that if you were going to go out and try and kill a deer, you had to camp out in the middle of a forest and then do quite a bit of other work in order to even find a deer, let alone kill one.

I like to give Texans a hard time about this, however, I've killed a lot more deer since moving here then I had my entire life previously.

I used to live in northern Alabama. hunted there in Tenn., Georgia, and the Carolinas. we used blinds and feeders there as well as we do here. What I don't see much of here are the porable platforms you can mount on the side of a tree that you carry with you. I guess here it's more about the comfort of the blind if you are sitting in it for a few hours......
as far as the deer, big difference. mostly in the spread of the rack. other than that, they are about the same.....

DarkReign
04-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Michigan has an overpopulation problem with deer. When I did hunt as a youngin', only bow hunters were allowed an "elevated position" and bait.

Now, riflers are allowed to bait (i dont *think* theyre allowed an "elevated position").

I lost my taste for it a long time ago. Used to really enjoy it. But once I got a little older and started hunting with people outside of my family, I realized most hunters are just sociopaths who subsitute their urge to kill something, anything with the guise of "hunting".

Im not saying all, by no means. But when you personally know guys who kill 8-10 deer a year and most are yearlings that yield little to no meat, you start to wonder about these people.

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Chicken-fried backstrap tastes the same if you stalk it or shoot it from a blind.

:lol

leemajors
04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
my dad has a ranch with a game fence in south texas, and employs a state biologist to maintain the population for ideal size, etc. kinda lame, i haven't hunted in years myself, but that doesn't stop me from having a deep freeze full of venison. he also has some axis deer, which is somewhat interesting. i just don't care for the climate in the valley personally. when we had leases in the hill country i enjoyed just walking around.

leemajors
04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Chicken-fried backstrap tastes the same if you stalk it or shoot it from a blind.

i had some backstrap last week - cooked it in my rotisserie basket this time, very delicious.

Vizzini
04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Michigan has an overpopulation problem with deer. When I did hunt as a youngin', only bow hunters were allowed an "elevated position" and bait.

Now, riflers are allowed to bait (i dont *think* theyre allowed an "elevated position").

I lost my taste for it a long time ago. Used to really enjoy it. But once I got a little older and started hunting with people outside of my family, I realized most hunters are just sociopaths who subsitute their urge to kill something, anything with the guise of "hunting".

Im not saying all, by no means. But when you personally know guys who kill 8-10 deer a year and most are yearlings that yield little to no meat, you start to wonder about these people.

I live in Michigan and while I personally don't deer hunt, I have friends who do. They follow all laws and regulations as far as I know, and I don't consider them to be sociopathic. I have had encounters with guys like that before, so I do know where you are coming from. Living in the county with the highest car/deer crashes in the state, and one of the highest in the country, I do see a need to have regulated hunts, b/c without them, deer would be severly overpopulated.

Sportcamper
04-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Has anyone ever made Baby Seal Sausages? I bet they taste similar to Deer Sausages....

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Actually, I bet they are quite tasty. I'll give it a try...can't be any worse than possum.

Phenomanul
04-05-2007, 10:07 AM

QFT

Phenomanul
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I've met people who've hunted endangered species just for the thrill of the hunt. These guys would literally bribe some African nations for poaching rights. White Rhinos, Bull Elephants, you name it. They also hunted Siberian Tigers and Siberian Bears, the larger cousin of the Grizzly Bear in illegal fashion - as in, one isn't allowed to shoot them the same day you spot them, let alone from a helicopter.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
The only advice I can give to deer hunters is to not trust the Viet Cong.

tlongII
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I know guys here that take their pickups on logging roads in the coast range. You're bound to see a deer eventually and when you do you take the gun off the gun rack and shoot it.

CosmicCowboy
04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I know guys here that take their pickups on logging roads in the coast range. You're bound to see a deer eventually and when you do you take the gun off the gun rack and shoot it.

that hunting technique also involves large quantities of beer.

SpursWoman
04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I was hoping there would be an instructional "how do I cook this stuff without it coming out like roof shingles?" discussion. :oops

I still have some in my freezer that Chris brought home that I'm afraid to *ruin*.... it's not exactly my favorite, so I never learned how to cook it very well. Except the sausage ... I love that stuff. :spin

leemajors
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM
venison steaks are best seared and rare to medium rare. overcook any venison and it gets rubbery. burgers i like to add shallot or onion, garlic, worcestire and/or basalmic, and some olive oil to hold it together. otherwise i just use the ground meat for spaghetti, and cook the backstrap on the grill or smoke it.

Taco
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM

I guess if you wanted to make this an Apples to Apples comparison it would be equivalent to hunting a fawn (baby deer – bambi)

Hunting Fawn’s is illegal so there would be no comparison.

I wouldn't hunt Baby Seals nor would I hunt Baby Deer

leemajors
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
venison steaks are best seared and rare to medium rare. overcook any venison and it gets rubbery. burgers i like to add shallot or onion, garlic, worcestire and/or basalmic, and some olive oil to hold it together. otherwise i just use the ground meat for spaghetti, and cook the backstrap on the grill or smoke it.

my stepmom cuts the steak up and stir fries it, but i've never tried that personally.

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Baumann's in LaVernia makes a mean venison/beef hamburger patty that is SPECTACULAR when smoked over an oak/hickory fire. I'm not sure if they sell them to the general public or not. I think you have to take your deer to them to be processed first, but that shit is heaven on a bun.