PDA

View Full Version : Visiting San Antonio for the first time.....

DDS4
04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey-

I'm coming to San Antonio (and Texas for that matter) for the first time. Do you guys have any recommendations on places to eat/to see?

We'll be staying at the Marriott near the Riverwalk. So I think we'll at least do the Riverwalk boat ride and visit the Alamo.

I'm particularly interested in the food over there. We don't get good Tex-Mex or BBQ in California.

I'll also be at the Spurs game vs. the Warriors (3 rows up from the court) wearing my road David Robinson jersey.

Thanks in advance!

MoSpur
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
The Mexican food downtown isn't all that. Rudy's is good barbeque.

MoSpur
04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
The latest shopping center is the shops at La Cantera over by Fiesta TX. There is also a new IMAX theater across from Fiesta TX. Its called the Rim or something like that. It has stores to shop at and places to eat. Nice place as well and very new to San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
The latest shopping center is the shops at La Cantera over by Fiesta TX. There is also a new IMAX theater across from Fiesta TX. Its called the Rim or something like that. It has stores to shop at and places to eat. Nice place as well and very new to San Antonio.

The new IMAX theatre is at the Rim Shopping Center - it's called the Palladium.

Here's pictures.

http://sanantonio.about.com/od/recreationfitness/ig/Palladium-Theaters-/index.htm

It has a full bar, a sit down restaurant, etc. It's very cool.

johnsmith
04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes, I know that if I were to visit a city and state that I've never been to before that the first thing I'd like to do is catch an IMAX flick and then spend some time at a mall.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes, I know that if I were to visit a city and state that I've never been to before that the first thing I'd like to do is catch an IMAX flick and then spend some time at a mall.

I didn't say he should go there :lol I was just clarifying the other poster's post.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't know any good Mexican food downtown. Some people like Mexican Manattan or Mi Tierra downtown.

We always eat Mexican food at Pericos - which is across town.

There's good restaurants (not Mexican) near the Riverwalk though - Le Reve, which is like the 5th best restaurant in the United States, Las Canarias, Boudros, Fig Tree at La Villita ...

johnsmith
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I didn't say he should go there :lol I was just clarifying the other poster's post.

I meant to quote Mospur, guess I forgot.........my bad.

Mr Dio
04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I don't know any good Mexican food downtown. Some people like Mexican Manattan or Mi Tierra downtown.

We always eat Mexican food at Pericos - which is across town.

There's good restaurants (not Mexican) near the Riverwalk though - Le Reve, which is like the 5th best restaurant in the United States, Las Canarias, Boudros, Fig Tree at La Villita ...

He needs to experience the Top Shelf Margs at ChaCho's. Bring cab fare.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, I know that if I were to visit a city and state that I've never been to before that the first thing I'd like to do is catch an IMAX flick and then spend some time at a mall.:lol

Xolotl
04-04-2007, 09:17 PM

I guess that makes me an idiot b/c when I lived in Tucson AZ, I had never heard of IMAX and went to see it when we visited Phoenix lol

ZStomp
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
You haven't been to San Antonio unless you've been to the Ghost Tracks!!

Give it a shot. It be fun...

Read this: http://www.ghosthaunts.com/san_antonio_ghosts.html

atxrocker
04-04-2007, 09:33 PM
when in san antonio buy some cheap drugs. it's the only thing worth it there besides the eye candy.

dallaskd
04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Casa Rio

spurastic
04-04-2007, 10:06 PM
We live in Austin but go to San Antonio and visit places before games. I would recommend visiting the Missions--I believe there are about six in all and I think there are tours. RE: The Riverwalk is interesting but very geared to the tourist. Have to check it out as a tourist tho. I liked the "Market Square" shops with junk/stuff mainly from Mexico. There is a River Center Mall (is that the right name?) if you are into that kind of thing. Riverwalk restuarants--I like the County Line in Austin for bbque and I noticed there is one on the riverwalk but haven't eaten there. Mi Tierra is opened 24/7 and has been around for years and years. Hong Fong for Chinese is on Broadway and was the first Chinese restaurant in SA. If you like museums, the Witte was interesting. And that all I can think of for the time being. Edit-- not the Witte (that seemed to be geared toward children) I meant the McNay museum.

Summers
04-05-2007, 07:14 AM
The best barbecue in the known universe is at the Salt Lick, which is in Driftwood (very south Austin), so it's a drive, but completely worth it. It's bring your own beer... the food is amazing. It's out in the sticks, so you can take a crowd and be rowdy.

I don't live in SA, so I don't know the best hidden away Mexican restaurants and bars. Hope you have fun!

DDS4
04-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks all.

Yeah, I probably won't hit up the IMAX theatre/shopping malls. Plenty of those in Cali.

Restaurant recs duly noted.

jinglejangle
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
No shortage of good food in SA
Here are a few suggestions

Downtown:
*Cascabels Mexican Patio - Great Authentic Mexico style menu.
Mexican Manhattan (cheap Breakfast/Lunch)
Mi Tierra Cafe & Bakery or Margarita's (Both are in Market Square aka El Mercado)
Casa Rio - near the convention center.

Off the River in town.
La Fogata on Vance Jackson between 410 and I-10
Jacala on West near Hildebrand.
Guajillo off 410 near Blanco
Cha-Cha's on Babcock or Bandera.

As far as BBQ, I've never really tried any downtown, but here are a few places that come to mind.

Harmon's Barbeque in Alamo Plaza
County Line on the Riverwalk
and King Willie's on S. Alamo

Hope it helps

tlongII
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Gotta go to the The Alamo!

2centsworth
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Mexican Restaurants:

1. the market square for sure and eat at Mi Tierra or La Margarita. The food isn't the best in town, but it has a nice atmosphere usually with Mariachis.

2. La Fogata- much better food and not too far from downtown. Plus, the flan is the best in town (my Grandmother's recipe).

3. 15minutes away, but my favorite is Salsalitos. Fajitas are ridiculously good, but so is everything else.

4. Best Margarita in Town and good food- Solunas on Broadway 5-10 minutes from where you're at.

Others:

- PASSION- A hip latin restaurant out 1604. The food was surprisingly very good. I had a Cuban Mahi Mahi that was sensational.

- Las Canarias for SUNDAY CHAMPAIGN BRUNCH!!!!

- Tower of the Americas- I like the view, but haven't eaten there since Landry's took over. However, it should be good.

- Liberty Bar and Josephine St. Cafe- Lot of history at those places and close by.

- Tom's Ribs- The one out 1604 and Stone Oak is surrounded by a lot of cool places to go to afterwards. Cigars, Drinks, good music etc..

I would definitely bar hop and do the clubs downtown one night.

leemajors
04-05-2007, 03:16 PM
The best barbecue in the known universe is at the Salt Lick, which is in Driftwood (very south Austin), so it's a drive, but completely worth it. It's bring your own beer... the food is amazing. It's out in the sticks, so you can take a crowd and be rowdy.

I don't live in SA, so I don't know the best hidden away Mexican restaurants and bars. Hope you have fun!

Salt Lick's sauce is good, but they can't hang with Sam's on the east side in Austin, or City Market in Luling. City Market is tippy top.

degenerate_gambler
04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
damn....nobody's mentioned Rosario's?

or Los Barrios?

SA210
04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Salt Lick's sauce is good, but they can't hang with Sam's on the east side in Austin, or City Market in Luling. City Market is tippy top.
That's the truth. Sam's is the best. I never come back from Austin without bringing back some Sam's B-B-Que and some Mrs. Johnsons Donuts. :hungry:

They just don't have stuff like that here.

Buddy Holly
04-05-2007, 08:03 PM
They just don't have stuff like that here.

Yeah we do, you just haven't found it.

mardigan
04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Go to PTs, great lunch specials :lol

SA210
04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah we do, you just haven't found it.
No, we don't.

bendmz
04-08-2007, 05:09 PM
The Malt House..... :hungry:

Shelly