PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Teletubbies celebrate 10th anniversary

Bob Lanier
04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
THOUSANDS of screaming groupies (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007140584,00.html), photographers lurking in bushes and a gruelling work schedule.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/03/us/04prexy-600.jpg
Lurking in bushes has since exploded in popularity

This might sound like life as a member of the Fab Four during the height of Beatlemania but it is actually an average day in the life of a TELETUBBY.

The actors who brought loveable Laa-Laa, Dipsy, Tinky Winky and Po to life in the hit kids’ show say they were the John, Paul, George and Ringo of the Nineties.

Teletubbies celebrates its tenth anniversary this weekend and has become a multi-million pound phenomenon.

The cast are currently in the US on a promotional tour, including holding tea parties for kids and appearing on chat shows.

Today was even designated Teletubby Day in Manhattan.

Simon Shelton, 42, who played Tinky Winky, said: “We used to receive a lot of fan mail from kids AND parents. I suppose we were a bit like the Beatles or the Take That of children’s television. We would spend six months at a time filming on a farm in Warwickshire working 11-hour days. So we got to know each other like a pop group would.”

Keen to preserve the magic of the show for kids, the making of the programme has always been shrouded in mystery. But today the actors lift the lid on their secret lives.

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2007141189,00.jpg
Stars ... left to right, Tinky Winky - Simon, Dipsy - comedian John,
Laa Laa - dancer Nikky and Po - actress Pui Fan Lee

They tell all about the scandals that dogged them on and off screen, including the lesbian sex scene, the gay rumours and the truth about Noo-noo the vacuum cleaner.

John Simmit, 44, played green Teletubby Dipsy. But out of costume the dreadlocked “Cuban-Jamaican-Brummie” was also an edgy stand-up comedian.

He said: “I was a stand-up before I became Dipsy so I carried on doing that when the series came to an end five years ago. The stand-up circuit is pretty close-knit so people got to know that I was Dipsy — but I never mentioned it on stage.”

Actress Pui Fan Lee led a similar double life when she played cute red Teletubby Po.

She caused a stir in 2001 when she appeared in racy Channel 4 series Metrosexuality as a sex-mad lesbian.

She was seen romping naked with another girl and performing an intimate sex act.

She said: “I didn’t take the lesbian role to be deliberately controversial. Yes, I was Po. But I am an actress too and the role looked interesting, exciting and challenging.

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2007141303,00.jpg
Tubby bye-bye ... left, vacuum Noo-noo, above, Pui takes a nap and, top, the cast on set

“When we were in the show it was weird because we never dreamed anyone would be the slightest bit interested in us. But at the height of our popularity there were photographers jumping out of bushes.”

Pui, 35, who has also had roles in BBC comedy Chef and movie Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, now presents CBeebies.

She says: “At work I am the person people always come to with questions about the Teletubbies. People are always asking things like: ‘Was Noo-noo a boy or a girl?’ Incidentally, it is neither.”

Simon Shelton took over as Tinky Winky when production company Ragdoll axed original actor Dave Thompson claiming they weren’t happy with his “interpretation” of the role.

Simon said: “I was initially a little reluctant to go for the role. I started my career as a ballet dancer and had just started working as a choreographer. I thought it was a bit of a risky move but it certainly paid off.”

And Simon finally laid to rest one rumour that has dogged Teletubbies since day one.

“People always ask me if Tinky Winky is gay. But the character is supposed to be a three-year-old so the question is really quite silly.”

Dancer Nikky Smedley, 43, landed the role of Laa-Laa after answering a newspaper ad.

She said: “I am so proud to be associated with the show. In a way it is strange to talk about it because for so long we kept ourselves out of the picture. We didn’t want to ruin the illusion for children. It is great to all meet up again.”

While the Teletubbies spent their days laughing and munching Tubby custard, it wasn’t all plain sailing for the actors. “It was hard work,” said Nikky.

“We would work 11-hour days and the suits were heavy and hot.

“It was very physically strenuous, we had to keep in shape. We certainly weren’t hellraisers.”

Creators Anne Wood and Andy Davenport drew on educational research and speech science to create the show. Everyone from parents to politicians claimed the Teletubbies’ nonsensical style of speech was damaging for children — but that didn’t stop the show becoming a phenomenon.

In its first year the Teletubbies scored a No1 single which sold 1.3 million copies and was nominated for an Ivor Novello songwriting award. The Teletubbies, once described as being “bigger than Shakespeare” also spawned a massive industry in spin-off merchandise such as dolls, DVDs and books.

Around £500million worth of Teletubbies-related goods have been sold over the past decade. The show also became a firm favourite with celebs including Bill Clinton, Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. In 1999 Britney Spears was photographed on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine clutching a Teletubby.

But while the rich and famous adored the Teletubbies, the actors themselves were more than happy with their quiet life.

John said: “None of us wanted to become celebrities through the show. It was always Dipsy, Laa-Laa, Tinky Winky and Po who were the real stars.”

# The Teletubbies 10 – Happy Birthday DVD is out now, priced £15.99.