PDA

View Full Version : Website Question

TxJudsonRocketTx
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Ive been looking into starting a forum of my own and was wondering if anyone could help me out, godaddy tries to setll you like 10 different softwares and ssl certificates, and I have no idea if any of it is even essential to building a successful website. I would mostly like to know what all Spurstalk runs and what web hosting service and stuff like that would be best to go with, any help would be greatly appreciated. :wakeup

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
We use vBulletin forum software - you have to pay for it and run it on a decent server.

If you website is small at first, you can use one of the free forum softwares that are pretty customizable - YaBB, PhpBB, etc

GoDaddy is a pretty good webhost. We used realwebhost.com for a while and they were decent until we outgrew our server needs.

dougp
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I prefer YaBB ... it's pretty stable, and easy to setup because it's CGI (or was, they might have changed it in the time I've used it.)

As for hosting, I use 3essentials.com ... you can check around and find a webhost for like $5/month that would be adequate for a small website startup.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I like YaBB too - for a free software, it has a lot to offer.

PM5K
04-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Cgi?

L O L....

dougp
04-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Cgi?

L O L....

It's a lot more simple for someone with little to no know-how for websites to setup than PHP, ASP or JSP. Unless you find install-scripts.

ducks
04-04-2007, 05:38 PM
she just wants .............

NorCal510
04-04-2007, 05:38 PM
i wouldnt visit your website

TxJudsonRocketTx
04-05-2007, 12:32 AM
i wouldnt visit your website

Good because I dont know how many "Do You Like Me?" threads of yours I can take homo.

On the other hand Kori, I talked to a friend today that has a server he pays $110 a month for and he says I can use that for free so that sounds like a good deal, I see the price for vbulletin is $160 for lifetime so thats not too bad. I'm pretty much hoping for enough traffic on the site to start selling advertising spots on it and get a little cash off of it

Kori Ellis
04-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Good because I dont know how many "Do You Like Me?" threads of yours I can take homo.

On the other hand Kori, I talked to a friend today that has a server he pays $110 a month for and he says I can use that for free so that sounds like a good deal, I see the price for vbulletin is $160 for lifetime so thats not too bad. I'm pretty much hoping for enough traffic on the site to start selling advertising spots on it and get a little cash off of it

If you can use a server that costs $110/month for free, that's pretty sweet. Make sure it has the specs to be able to run vBulletin (it should at that price). Then it's definitely worth it to get your vBulletin license. You should be able to hang with that server until you get to about 100-150 people online regularly, then you will probably have to start upgrading.

Good luck with it! You are more than welcome to link it in your signature once you get it started.

TxJudsonRocketTx
04-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Ah thank you very much for the advice, yeah he used to run a really big PSP site that he was making about $500 a week off, then Sony sued him so now he is still paying for it just in case I guess and he owes me about $800 in favors so yeah.

ponky
04-05-2007, 01:28 AM
what's your site going to be about? i'm just curious, i'm a web designer

dougp
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Ah thank you very much for the advice, yeah he used to run a really big PSP site that he was making about $500 a week off, then Sony sued him so now he is still paying for it just in case I guess and he owes me about $800 in favors so yeah.

Uhm, favors? :nope

Re-Animator
04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Why go though all that hassle? Why not just buy SR it's for sell last time i checked it was going for 39.00 Dollars :lmao

God luck with your new site, send me the link.

:wakeup

TxJudsonRocketTx
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
what's your site going to be about? i'm just curious, i'm a web designer

Its pretty much going to be a site centered around this boring ass city (Tucson). Ever since I moved here I've seen that most of the youth here that have spent most of their lives here get involved in drugs, mainly meth so I figured why not start something that might curve some of that a little bit and give people a place to go talk about how much this place sucks and do shit like have game tournaments on xbox live and give out prizes so more people here about it and want to join you know shit like that not exclusively to videogames. But we'll see, I've never done anything like this and my friend that is going to get it all going has been known to take forever to get started on anything

Steve Perry
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a nice place to live, good luck with your site.

http://www.sourimage.com/img/99187ae1c0de92841cec6da1d9b89266/spursbandwagon.jpg

How come you never see Spur fans get painted up?