PDA

View Full Version : This is the best year for the playoffs in the Western Conference in years.

carib
04-05-2007, 08:15 AM
In the Western Conference all eight teams have a good chance to win the West.
In this year Playoffs there will be no sweep in the West, it will all come down to coaching and match ups, game after game.

TDMVPDPOY
04-05-2007, 08:17 AM
i think you are wrong, for the last couple of years, and western playoff team couldve fared well in the finals against the leastern conference.

boutons_
04-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Only Mavs, Suns and Spurs have any serious probability of winning the WC.

The next 2 candidates, Jazz and Rockets, are a distant second tier. Rockets are not even possible winners McGrady's back doesn't clear up in the next week.

No Cinderella in the WC this year.

Jimcs50
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Only the Mavs have a chance to win it this year. I do not see Dallas losing more than 1 game in any series this year.

phyzik
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Jim, please do a Tpark.... but actually follow through with it.

Jimcs50
04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Jim, please do a Tpark.... but actually follow through with it.

What do you mean?

carib
04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Only the Mavs have a chance to win it this year. I do not see Dallas losing more than 1 game in any series this year.

Are you serious

Jimcs50
04-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Are you serious

I think so.

Darkwaters
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
The Golden State Warriors are going to sweep the Mavs on their way to the finals.

Ok, doubtful.

I tend to agree with the idea that the upper tier teams are San Antonio, Phoenix and Dallas. The middle tier teams are Houston and Utah. The lower tier are the Lakers and then whomever comes out of that mess at the bottom of the conference playoff race. But you can't legitimately say you think the Nuggets are going to make a run at the title.

Extra Stout
04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
In the Western Conference all eight teams have a good chance to win the West.
Oh, for crying out loud.

degenerate_gambler
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh, for crying out loud.

that's what i said.

maybe the dude just wanted to have a thread w/his name on it on the first page. :wtf

mFFL03
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM

OOkkkkk....I'm a homer and not even I'm going to make that prediction.

Pretty much all the Spurs and Suns games against the Mavs has come down to the last 6 minutes in the 4th quarter.....Don't look at final scores and think you know everything that happened in the game

you should know this

DarrinS
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM

I don't even think the Mavs will lose one game in the playoffs. :rolleyes

41times
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I actually agree that this is going to be a fabulous year for Western Conference playoffs. Every matchup has intrigue. I also agree that there probably won't be any sweeps this year either.

However, i will say that the only 3 teams with legit shots at winning the West are the Mavs, Spurs and Suns. Houston is a maybe but thats it.

Now if you put any of the 8 Western teams into the Eastern Conference bracket i would say they would/could win the East.

DarrinS
04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I actually agree that this is going to be a fabulous year for Western Conference playoffs. Every matchup has intrigue. I also agree that there probably won't be any sweeps this year either.

However, i will say that the only 3 teams with legit shots at winning the West are the Mavs, Spurs and Suns. Houston is a maybe but thats it.

Now if you put any of the 8 Western teams into the Eastern Conference bracket i would say they would/could win the East.

IMO, Detroit could still win it all because they've been there before and they know how to play defense.

boutons_
04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
"they know how to play defense."

But have Chris instead of Ben, and Flip instead of Larry.
Huge steps down in defense from 05.

z0sa
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
"they know how to play defense."

But have Chris instead of Ben, and Flip instead of Larry.
Huge steps down in defense from 05.

exactly. thats why I think Miami has another chance at the title, or at least another visit to the finals. whos going to stop shaq? granted, hes not the force he was 5 years ago, but he can still dominate the low block a couple games in a series with, say, 25/10/4 assists or so.

Point is, Detroit doesnt have the EC as easy as many might think. I could also see Chicago pulling an upset on them as well, but thats a little more fiction than reality compared to Miami.

Also, in terms of the WC, I dont see Phoenix doing it with this lineup. The Spurs have the Suns' number, I think thats apparent. No one on that team is good enough to give Tim, Ginobili, OR Parker problems on offense; we also have the best transition D in the League. Put those two together and I say the series goes 6 games instead of 5, because nash is playing quite well (almost deservant of another MVP, but thats another conversation completely) and Stoudemire has really returned as a force - but still not good enough to beat the spurs.

Sad part is, I bet they COULD beat Dallas. Too bad they have to go through us first.

baseline bum
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't think anything can compare to last year's playoffs though.

Game 3 of Kings-Spurs decided by a Kevin Martin steal and layup at the buzzer. Game 4 of Suns-Lakers sent to OT by a crazy steal by Smush Parker and an amazing teardrop off the glass by Kobe Bryant, and then won at the buzzer by a Kobe Bryant jumpshot. Suns regroup, and come back from down 3-1 to eliminate the Lakers. LeBron James hits two gamewinners on two travels to beat Washington, and then singlehandedly takes the 64-18 Pistons to seven. Mavericks take a 3-1 lead on the defending champion Spurs, and have a shot to take the series in game 5 with a shot Dirk Nowitzki will make 99 of 100 times, and Bruce Bowen comes out of nowhere to block the shot so badly that Dirk never even releases it. Mavs go up 20 and game 7 looks like a laugher, and all of a sudden it's Spurs by three after Manu hits a backbreaking shot with 30 seconds left. Dallas looks dead, when Nowitzki attacks the basket and gets an and-1 to save their season and force ot, where they dominate and win. Dwayne Wade puts on one of the greatest shows in NBA history in the Detroit series, averaging 26.7 points on 62% shooting. Then a monster upset in the Finals. Heat are down 0-2 in the series, down 13 with 6 minutes left in game 3, and then Wade goes nuts, finished with 42, and Payton hits the game-winner. Then a classic overtime game 5. Finally, monster performances from Wade and Alonzo Mourning in game 6 to seal it.

BALLZ & MY WORD
04-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't think anything can compare to last year's playoffs though.

Game 3 of Kings-Spurs decided by a Kevin Martin steal and layup at the buzzer. Game 4 of Suns-Lakers sent to OT by a crazy steal by Smush Parker and an amazing teardrop off the glass by Kobe Bryant, and then won at the buzzer by a Kobe Bryant jumpshot. Suns regroup, and come back from down 3-1 to eliminate the Lakers. LeBron James hits two gamewinners on two travels to beat Washington, and then singlehandedly takes the 64-18 Pistons to seven. Mavericks take a 3-1 lead on the defending champion Spurs, and have a shot to take the series in game 5 with a shot Dirk Nowitzki will make 99 of 100 times, and Bruce Bowen comes out of nowhere to block the shot so badly that Dirk never even releases it. Mavs go up 20 and game 7 looks like a laugher, and all of a sudden it's Spurs by three after Manu hits a backbreaking shot with 30 seconds left. Dallas looks dead, when Nowitzki attacks the basket and gets an and-1 to save their season and force ot, where they dominate and win. Dwayne Wade puts on one of the greatest shows in NBA history in the Detroit series, averaging 26.7 points on 62% shooting. Then a monster upset in the Finals. Heat are down 0-2 in the series, down 13 with 6 minutes left in game 3, and then Wade goes nuts, finished with 42, and Payton hits the game-winner. Then a classic overtime game 5. Finally, monster performances from Wade and Alonzo Mourning in game 6 to seal it.

I totally agree with you Baseline, that was one HELL of a ride last year.

Jimcs50
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't even think the Mavs will lose one game in the playoffs. :rolleyes

They will lose a game, mark it down....you heard it here first.

bdictjames
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyone could make a first round exit in the WC, and that includes the Spurs. If we dont play like we did in March, the series is over for us.

carib
04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone could make a first round exit in the WC, and that includes the Spurs. If we dont play like we did in March, the series is over for us.

Thank you very much, each round will be hard, and requires full focus. It’s not the big things, which we know how to do so well, it’s the small things that we overlook.

Testing
04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I think it's a pretty much given that in the West it'll come down to the Mavs or the Suns. Spurs can't win anything without playing a Center and Michael does not count as a Center. They'll have the same problems they did last year in the playoffs: Their top 3 will play well, even Finley and Barry will also. But they won't be able to get stops in the paint when it matters most and they wont be able to rebound becasue they'll only have Tim Duncan doing both. And as great as he is, even he can't do it alone against a Mavs or Suns team.

With that said the East I think the Bulls will come out and the East will have the most upsets this season, not the West.

Budkin
04-05-2007, 12:04 PM

People, I've said it before. Jimcs50 has powers that can't be explained. Just let him do his thing. Trust me on this...

cherylsteele
04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Spurs can't win anything without playing a Center and Michael does not count as a Center.
What center for the Spurs is named Michael anyways?

nkdlunch
04-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Only the Mavs have a chance to win it this year.

huh? :dizzy

degenerate_gambler
04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
What center for the Spurs is named Michael anyways?

I think he's meaning Finley.

LongBall
04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Jimcs, finally a smart Spurs fan. The mavs will win it all this year and not have a series go past five games. I guarantee it!!

cherylsteele
04-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I think he's meaning Finley.
He considers Finley a center? :rolleyes :lol

degenerate_gambler
04-05-2007, 04:45 PM
He considers Finley a center? :rolleyes :lol

if he's talking small ball, i guess.

but who knows?

ducks
04-05-2007, 04:48 PM
thank you for posting that now the oppposite will happen :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :hungry: :smokin

mikejones99
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Jesus Christ, Spurs are still favorites followed by Suns, Den, Chi, Mia, Det, Uta, Hou, Lal and Dallas have slim chances

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Jesus Christ, Spurs are still favorites followed by Suns, Den, Chi, Mia, Det, Uta, Hou, Lal and Dallas have slim chances

who?