PDA

View Full Version : Arenas to have surgery, done for year

MajorMike
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Associated Press
Posted: 24 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas was to have surgery Thursday on his left knee and is essentially done for the season.

Arenas was diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear and was to have arthroscopic surgery later in the day at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington. The Wizards said the recovery time will be two to three months, meaning he might play again this season only if Washington manages to make the NBA finals without him.
Arenas was injured in the first quarter of Wednesday night's 108-100 loss to the Charlotte Bobcats.

The Wizards have lost both of their All-Stars to injuries in less than a week. Caron Butler broke a bone in his hand in Sunday's loss to the Milwaukee Bucks and is out for six weeks.

Without their two best players, the Wizards are stumbling to the finish of what was a promising season only two months ago. They lost back-to-back games Tuesday and Wednesday to the lottery-bound Bobcats and have fallen behind the Miami Heat in the race for the Southeast Division title.

Arenas averaged 28.4 points and six assists in 74 games this season and made his third consecutive All-Star appearance. He started every game until Wednesday night, when he was benched at the opening tip-off for being late for a shootaround earlier in the day.

Arenas entered the game late in the first quarter and was injured less than two minutes later, when Charlotte's Gerald Wallace inadvertently crashed into Arenas' knee after an off-balance reverse layup. Arenas, who was battling for rebounding position, was unable to avoid Wallace and his knee bent the wrong way, much like that of a quarterback who has been hit low by a rushing lineman.

It is the first significant injury for Arenas since an abdominal strain sidelined him for 27 games during the 2003-04 season. He missed only two games each of the last two seasons.

Arenas finishes the regular season with 2,105 points scored, becoming the franchise's first player since Walt Bellamy to score more than 2,000 points in three consecutive seasons. He also established a single-game franchise scoring record with 60 points against the Los Angeles Lakers on Dec. 17.

TonyParkerSux
04-05-2007, 12:05 PM
sux for washington. I have mixed feelings about Arenas' game. he can be a very good player at times, but isn't as good as he thinks that he is and is much too inconsistent. he is supposed to be an extremely hard worker though. bad move by Kobe earlier not giving Arenas any props for that crazy game that he had against the Lakers.

Fillmoe
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Ouch!

monosylab1k
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Arenas' next blog entry: I'm so awesome that I'm performing my own surgery.

resistanze
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
WOW Butler now Arenas???? Terrible luck for the Wizards...but the Raptors really need the third seed to face these muthafuckas (if they don't drop out of playoffs).

TonyParkerSux
04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
WOW Butler now Arenas???? Terrible luck for the Wizards...but the Raptors really need the third seed to face these muthafuckas (if they don't drop out of playoffs).

I am really pulling for that Raptors squad over in the East. I love that team, they are easily my favorite behind the Lakers. I think that they have a good chance of getting to the East finals, regardless of whom they play along the way.

Budkin
04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Sucks bad for the Wiz... hopefully they drop out of the running completely and make room for someone else.

mavsfan1000
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow that sucks. Hope he recovers 100% from this.

bdictjames
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Sucks, he was having yet the best season of his career.

If the Wiz do get to the playoffs, it might be the 7th or 8th seed. Detroit or the Cavs will make quick work of them. Miami is still the darkhorse of the EC.

monosylab1k
04-05-2007, 12:37 PM
this should serve as a grim reminder to Mavs, Suns, and Spurs fans, that we're all one freak knee tear away from being just as fucked as Washington.

bdictjames
04-05-2007, 12:39 PM
You guys wait, Ruffin is gonna tear it down in the playoffs! :lol

TDMVPDPOY
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
theres lest then 10 games left, cant tank

Phenomanul
04-05-2007, 12:55 PM
this should serve as a grim reminder to Mavs, Suns, and Spurs fans, that we're all one freak knee tear away from being just as fucked as Washington.

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ don't jinx anyone....

angel_luv
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Feel better Gilbert Arenas. :)

baseline bum
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM

We already learned that one in 2000.

ShackO
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Feel better Gilbert Arenas. :)

My sentiments as well...........
Was looking forward to watching him in the post season........... I guess I will have to catch him down @ the fishn' hole...........

mardigan
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
theres lest then 10 games left, cant tank
They only have 8 games left, your right, no time to tank

Duncanoypi
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Ruffin is money with his sky hook at the midcourt.....so forget Arenas...

mFFL03
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't worry everyone, we'll be reminded of him every 30 minutes with his adidas commercial....

NBA Junkie
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Washington is 4 up on Jersey for the sixth spot, so I don't think they'll relinquish it unless they manage to go winless the rest of the season.

Toronto and Miami will be fighting for the third seed and the winner will be salivating at the thought of playing the Gilbert-less Wizards in the first round.

kingsfan
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
This really sucks :depressed I love Gil and now the Wizs are screwed without him and Caron. I got my tix to see him next week and he's on 2 of my fantasy teams. Fuck! :madrun

lefty
04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I am really pulling for that Raptors squad over in the East. I love that team, they are easily my favorite behind the Lakers. I think that they have a good chance of getting to the East finals, regardless of whom they play along the way.

As much as I love the Raps, they won't reach the East Finals ; they have hte talent , the determination and the coach to do so, but they are not battle tested.

cherylsteele
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
I think any intelligent Spurs, Mavs, Suns, etc. fan understands this already
Timmy in 2000.
David hurt his thumb and Willie Anderson broke his leg at the end of the 1991-1992 season.

dg7md
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Now Toronto's NBA finals chances are more likely! If they get to the finals, which I see happening within a few years, I believe Canada will be getting some more NBA teams, I hope so, I'd love a more international-NBA.

monosylab1k
04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I think any intelligent Spurs, Mavs, Suns, etc. fan understands this already
Timmy in 2000.
David hurt his thumb and Willie Anderson broke his leg at the end of the 1991-1992 season.

hence the word REMINDER

himat
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Early in the year I thought the Wizards would at least get past the first round, or maybe to the ECF. Antawn Jamison won't be able to carry that team for a 7 game series. The Wizards will either play Detroit, Miami, Toronto, Chicago, or Cleveland. The best shot they have is against the Raptors, but that is still a longshot without their 2 best players.

CruelMonkey
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
:bang :pctoss

lefty
04-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Now Toronto's NBA finals chances are more likely! If they get to the finals, which I see happening within a few years, I believe Canada will be getting some more NBA teams, I hope so, I'd love a more international-NBA.

I hope so ; I would be great to have an NBA team here in Montreal ; plus, we have a great arena (Bell center)

dallaskd
04-05-2007, 07:59 PM
that sucks

resistanze
04-05-2007, 11:23 PM
HibOUCHi!

Had to use that lame one.