PDA

View Full Version : Penn and Teller: Walmart hatred is bullsh!t

Phil Hellmuth
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
anyone see this episode.

good points to it, but "i" think there are obvious problems to walmart and it still should be justifiable to hate them.

T Park
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
wait, they say the hatred is bullshit, but yet said its justifiable to hate them?

I myself have yet to see one thing they do that justifys hating them.

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2007, 01:18 PM
wait, they say the hatred is bullshit, but yet said its justifiable to hate them?

I myself have yet to see one thing they do that justifys hating them.

There was that whole taking out life insurance policies on their old people workers thing. And then when they locked their stockers in overnight

jman3000
04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
i coulda sworn they did an anti walmart show a while ago. something to do with them being able to build on some endangered birds mating grounds... and at the same time not allowing some cripple lady build an annex on her house in the same area that would make her live easier.

Xolotl
04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
i just remember them being the first company to ay all of the displaced people form katrina would have a guaranteed job at whatever walmart was closest to where they moved...after that i remember other companies following...but i remember at the time i thought that was a very cool thing to do...on top of all the money nd suppliesb they gave

ObiwanGinobili
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
i coulda sworn they did an anti walmart show a while ago. something to do with them being able to build on some endangered birds mating grounds... and at the same time not allowing some cripple lady build an annex on her house in the same area that would make her live easier.

I remember that, it was in the endangered species policy is fucked up episode.

walmart is not pure evil.
but, I don't feel right shopping at waly world.

Spurminator
04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I still go to Wal-Mart occasionally, but every time I come out of there I'm struck by this unshakeable feeling of hatred for all mankind.

Melmart1
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Politics of Wal-Mart aside, the customer service simply sucks, you can never get assitance if you need it and most of the stuff they sell is poorly made. You definitely get what you pay for.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Wal-Mart is trying to build a superstore in the middle of a neighborhood that isn't set up for the traffic. The city council went out of their way to circumvent normal procedure to ram the development through. I don't usually shop there even though it's usually the closest big box to me, and won't be going to the new one even though it will defnitely be the closest to me. I don't really know why; I guess I just don't find it a pleasant place to shop. Most of the stuff there is crap, and the stuff that isn't crap I can get in other stores.

PM5K
04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Nobody has even gotten into how anti labor union they are, apparently they closed an entire store to keep their employees from unionizing.

And then there's the whole underpaying women thing.

You also have the this thing where Walmart sources a lot of products from China instead of the U.S...

CharlieMac
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Politics of Wal-Mart aside, the customer service simply sucks, you can never get assitance if you need it and most of the stuff they sell is poorly made. You definitely get what you pay for.

Yeah, I agree there. I've bought some crap furniture from there when I was younger, but it beats having to eat off the floor in my first apartment.

As far as how big and bad Walmart is, I can't take most complaints too seriously. Not when you're talking about it at Starbucks wearing brand name clothing. I'm not saying Walmart's issues aren't serious, but don't complain if you are looking the other way for many other companies. Home Depot, McDonalds, AOL, and Best Buy are a few that come to mind from a couple of articles I've read over the years. I hate how people pick and choose their battles based on which way the wind is blowing. Sometimes the Walmart argument reminds me of reading stories of people fighting so hard for better civil rights for minorities decades ago while not even acknowledging the treatment of farmers and use of chemicals around human beings.

Then sometimes I don't even care. Which is the majority of the time really.

Phil Hellmuth
04-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Nobody has even gotten into how anti labor union they are, apparently they closed an entire store to keep their employees from unionizing.

penn and teller discussed this in the episode. Strictly in spark notes terms: unions are businesses too. we should not just give them the benefit of the doubt just because its sugar coated with the word: union

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
As a regular Wal-Mart shopper, I really hope all of this Wal-Mart hatred catches on, because it is a PAIN IN THE ASS finding a place to park at the Super Wal-Mart on 87 and 410 on a Saturday afternoon...

:lol

Extra Stout
04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Wal-Mart behaves like a large multinational corporation. Almost all of them are like that.

Shopping there is a disheartening experience much like standing at the DMV, wherein you realize that the majority of Americans are um... pretty dumb and not very clean.

And they reproduce a lot.

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
And they don't seem to realize that other people may need to get down the aisle that they've decided to stop and have their fucking conversations in. If I had a penny for everytime I had the urge to take my cart full of cheap groceries/goods and ram the living shit out of a family of fat-ass retards who thinks the main aisle of the general merchandise section is a great place to discuss where they plan on spending the rest of their Lone Star Card dollares after they leave Wally-World, I wouldn't NEED to shop at FUCKING WAL-MART!!!

[/aisle rage rant]

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I think what I'm trying to say is: FUCKING MOVE, IDIOTS!!!!!

:lol

Melmart1
04-05-2007, 04:50 PM
That happens everywhere. It seems like it happens more at Wal-Mart than anywhere else, but I think it's just that I don't like being there so everything bad is probably magnified. I only go with my mom, cus she loves Wal-Mart. In fact as a joke last year I got her a bracelet with a charm on it that says "I heart Wal-Mart."

leemajors
04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Wal-Mart is trying to build a superstore in the middle of a neighborhood that isn't set up for the traffic. The city council went out of their way to circumvent normal procedure to ram the development through. I don't usually shop there even though it's usually the closest big box to me, and won't be going to the new one even though it will defnitely be the closest to me. I don't really know why; I guess I just don't find it a pleasant place to shop. Most of the stuff there is crap, and the stuff that isn't crap I can get in other stores.

i signed that petition in Austin, Anderson Lane around burnet is bad enough as it is. that short light on shoal creek from mopac will be back up the access road for a mile. everyone in the neighborhoods around there is pissed about it. i don't see why they don't take the old home depot building on 183, or even the giant empty old hobby lobby building on 183 at lamar.

mikejones99
04-05-2007, 05:12 PM
It is simple. Walmart sells food and most things for less and that is a good thing. Women should be payed less cuz they are worth less and are lazier workers usually.

degenerate_gambler
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
It is simple. Walmart sells food and most things for less and that is a good thing. Women should be payed less cuz they are worth less and are lazier workers usually.

tell me you're just trying to stir shit up right?

mikejones99
04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
What, you don't like the facts? women must have kids or work. choose one, you cannot do both well, it is proven impossible. If they work, the children suffer greatly. Walmart hires alot of fat old and lazy bitches in there. That is why the lines are so long. They are lucky though cuz no one else would hire there ignorant assses. And quit sueing all the goddam time. Pregnant women need to stay home and work out instead of getting so fat and ugly.

leemajors
04-05-2007, 05:37 PM
What, you don't like the facts? women must have kids or work. choose one, you cannot do both well, it is proven impossible. If they work, the children suffer greatly. Walmart hires alot of fat old and lazy bitches in there. That is why the lines are so long. They are lucky though cuz no one else would hire there ignorant assses. And quit sueing all the goddam time. Pregnant women need to stay home and work out instead of getting so fat and ugly.
you're a real piece of work. still bitter about mom kicking you off the teat at 6?

mikejones99
04-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Personal attachs are made when you have no logic for your argument. Most women should be fixed or promise to Abort before being hired. Walmart now has self check out lines for speedier service.

leemajors
04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Personal attachs are made when you have no logic for your argument. Most women should be fixed or promise to Abort before being hired. Walmart now has self check out lines for speedier service.

so what's your excuse for attacking women in general? we already know you are not familiar with logic...

ChumpDumper
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
i signed that petition in Austin, Anderson Lane around burnet is bad enough as it is. that short light on shoal creek from mopac will be back up the access road for a mile. everyone in the neighborhoods around there is pissed about it. i don't see why they don't take the old home depot building on 183, or even the giant empty old hobby lobby building on 183 at lamar.No shit. it's not like there's a dearth of vacant retail space around there. The Albertson's just recently closed there too. Then there's that plaza where the Dell Outlet used to be. Damn.

mikejones99
04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Walmart is good for most people and I just point out the truth about people. Soon Walmart will probly sell women.

T Park
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
im anti union as well.

Most of the reason alot of our shit is outsourced and what not is due to bullshit unions.

Alot of the reason our school systems are fucked are due to teacher's unions as well.

exstatic
04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
And they don't seem to realize that other people may need to get down the aisle that they've decided to stop and have their fucking conversations in. If I had a penny for everytime I had the urge to take my cart full of cheap groceries/goods and ram the living shit out of a family of fat-ass retards who thinks the main aisle of the general merchandise section is a great place to discuss where they plan on spending the rest of their Lone Star Card dollares after they leave Wally-World, I wouldn't NEED to shop at FUCKING WAL-MART!!!

[/aisle rage rant]
Wal-Mart's average aisle is like 27 3/4 inches wide, one of the main reasons I hate shopping there. Target's aisles seem like an Interstate Highway in comparison.

ShoogarBear
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Somebody went around and measured the Wal-Mart aisles?

exstatic
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Most of the reason alot of our shit is outsourced and what not is due to bullshit unions.
Wal-Mart has never been unionized, and outsources almost EVERYTHING. Next.

exstatic
04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Somebody went around and measured the Wal-Mart aisles?
I outsourced it to a Chinese. :smokin

ShoogarBear
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Wal-Mart has never been unionized, and outsources almost EVERYTHING. Next.Ouch.

Slams the overhead lob to the deep corner.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-05-2007, 07:47 PM
im anti union as well.

Alot of the reason our school systems are fucked are due to teacher's unions as well.

Yeah, those union-organized paychecks just have all the teachers rolling around in Benzes.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2007, 08:51 PM
There isn't collective bargaining for teachers in Texas - why do the schools here suck too?

Jimcs50
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Went to their show in Vegas last month and was quite impressed.

Guru of Nothing
04-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Raise your hand if you are from a small Texas town with a downtown absolutely devastated by Wal-Mart.

I blame the shoppers.

AlamoSpursFan
04-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Went to their show in Vegas last month and was quite impressed.

I caught them at Bally's several years ago and it was awesome. They spent half the show trashing Siegfried and Roy (whose tickets at the time were $85 compared to P&T's $35) and then they did their basic "here's how magicians do this" bit, followed by their signature trick where they have members of the audience sign bullets and then fire them at each other through a pane of glass and catch the bullet in their teeth. Then they ran to the exits and greeted every member of the audience. Somewhere I've got my picture with each of them and their autographs on the ticket.

CharlieMac
04-05-2007, 10:57 PM

Starting off in SAISD is 42,000. I'm not big on unions, but that was a pretty stupid comment.

Parents suck, teacher's arms are tied, the end.

Melmart1
04-06-2007, 12:03 AM
The fact that Texas public schools are lagging behind others has NOTHING to do with unions. It has to do with the fact that they will not get funding unless a student passes the TAKS test. So teachers teach students how to pass a test instead of teaching them life skills that will help them in the future.

Deede4525
04-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Raise your hand if you are from a small Texas town with a downtown absolutely devastated by Wal-Mart.

I blame the shoppers.

I live in a small town in northeast Texas, and Wal-Mart put nearly all of the small businesses out of business, including our hardware store. My husband's Dad opened it in 1960. :cuss

I hate Wal-Mart. :flipoff

ShoogarBear
04-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I went to a P&T show in Boston about 15 years ago. At intermission my date went to use the restroom and she was late getting back to her seat. I started getting worried until the second act started and I saw them bringing her out on stage (without about 6 other people from the audience that they had grabbed during intermission). She ended up being a bit player during their "MoFo the Psychic Gorilla" sketch, which if you've ever seen it is hilarious.

After the show P&T were in the lobby personally saying goodbye as people left.

Penn is one giant dude. Back in the early 90s he had an e-mail account at the MIT Media Lab (before everyone and his grandmother had one) and used to answer e-mail personally.

mikejones99
04-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Businesses go bankrupt usually cuz stupid people are running them. Quit blaming Walmart for ruining stupid fuckers businesses.

gtownspur
04-06-2007, 10:23 PM
What no one wants to pay 7 dollars for a lightbulb? You guys are so anti ma and pa.

T Park
04-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, those union-organized paychecks just have all the teachers rolling around in Benzes.

More along the lines of uh our kids being ranked about 80th in the world about anything.

But the anti union arguement was more along the lines of the results of teaching, not what the are getting paid.

DarkReign
04-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I dont shop there anymore and never will again (unless its an emergency, obviously).

I dont pretend to know all the goods and bads. I am more than willing to shop somewhere else and pay a fraction more $$ to not mingle with the individual who does shop there.

Bunch of trash.

Duff McCartney
04-09-2007, 12:07 PM
The fact that Texas public schools are lagging behind others has NOTHING to do with unions. It has to do with the fact that they will not get funding unless a student passes the TAKS test. So teachers teach students how to pass a test instead of teaching them life skills that will help them in the future.

It also has to do with the fact that people keep voting in the Republican party in this state. People complain about our schools being ranked among the lowest in the nation in funding, and then they turn around and keep the same morons in power.

ThomasGranger
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Nah, the real culprit is the prevalence of sloppy grammar in sports forums.

DarkReign
04-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Nah, the real culprit is the prevalence of sloppy grammar in sports forums.

:rofl