PDA

View Full Version : PSA:Please No Barbosa Threads.....

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
About why the Spurs traded him after his pick, it was the Suns pick from the start, Spurs just couldn't trade away their first round pick.

(yes i realize the irony of making a Barbosa thread asking to not have a Barbosa thread.)

E20
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Off topic, but if you look on the front page of Yahoo Basketball, they have videos about Barbosa and Manu being for the 6th man of the year and Tim Duncan as the DPOY.

Kori Ellis
04-05-2007, 07:09 PM
About why the Spurs traded him after his pick, it was the Suns pick from the start, Spurs just couldn't trade away their first round pick.

(yes i realize the irony of making a Barbosa thread asking to not have a Barbosa thread.)

:wtf

It wasn't the Suns pick from the start. On draft day, the Spurs decided to trade the pick to the Suns. The Spurs could have picked Barbosa and kept him if they wanted to do so. But they didn't have any intention of picking Barbosa. They traded the pick to the Suns that day, the trade didn't go through before it was their turn to draft, so they picked Barbosa on the Suns behalf (that's who the Suns wanted) and then traded him to the Suns.

But it wasn't the Suns pick from the start.

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
:wtf

But they didn't have any intention of picking Barbosa. They traded the pick to the Suns that day, the trade didn't go through before it was their turn to draft, so they picked Barbosa on the Suns behalf (that's who the Suns wanted) and then traded him to the Suns.

But it wasn't the Suns pick from the start.

That's what I meant. Barbosa was the Suns' pick, not the Spurs

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I believe Trainwreck has been owned.

Kori Ellis
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
That's what I meant. Barbosa was the Suns' pick, not the Spurs

Correct.

But the Spurs could have not traded the pick and chosen to draft Barbosa

Kori Ellis
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Anyway, it doesn't matter. Barbosa wouldn't have been that good in San Antonio. In Phoenix they say he is just a dumb kid who doesn't really know anything - so they let him loose to just go out there and play. That wouldn't have really worked here. He would still be glued to the bench while they worried he wasn't learning.

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Correct.

But the Spurs could have not traded the pick and chosen to draft Barbosa

I know that they COULD have drafted Barbosa, but when they picked him, they already planned on sending him to the Suns

Kori Ellis
04-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I know that they COULD have drafted Barbosa, but when they picked him, they already planned on sending him to the Suns
Yes.

lil'mo
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
good insight kori :tu

Pugglekicker_21
04-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyway, it doesn't matter. Barbosa wouldn't have been that good in San Antonio. In Phoenix they say he is just a dumb kid who doesn't really know anything - so they let him loose to just go out there and play. That wouldn't have really worked here. He would still be glued to the bench while they worried he wasn't learning.

:lol :lol

a dumb kid who might win SMAY...

but a dumb kid nonetheless...

Xylus
04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't think the Phoenix media has ever painted Barbosa as a dumb kid--merely a kid who has been forced to overcome a language barrier. The Phoenix media paints Barbosa as a really nice, almost naive youngster who genuinely loves being a Phoenix Sun. In interviews, he constantly compliments other people in limited English, so he comes off as this really bright-eyed young man who only kicks people's asses because he's being paid to. :lol

ShoogarBear
04-05-2007, 08:20 PM
http://www.knicksonline.com/images/players/big/David_Lee_250.jpg

timvp
04-05-2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.knicksonline.com/images/players/big/David_Lee_250.jpg

:madrun

P.S.

In Jack McCallum's Seven Seconds or Less, Barbosa is painted as a naive kid who the coaches never know what he does or doesn't understand. They basically just roll the ball out and let him do whatever he's going to do. Not the brightest bulb in the lamp but everyone seems to like him.

BTW, that book is a must read for anyone with even a mild interest in the NBA.

Fernando TD21
04-05-2007, 11:49 PM
In Phoenix they say he is just a dumb kid who doesn't really know anything
:madrun :depressed :nope

I don't know how smart he is or isn't, but he is a simple guy. I remember watching a interview with him when he came back to Brasil after the 1st year playing for the suns and he said the NBA is a totally different world compared to what he was used to. There certainly is/was a problem with the language, he couldn't even speak "locker room" in the right way.
He told that he was kind of sad and shocked in the first day because he went to the gym with a bike and someone there just told to throw it away :lol (I think it was the suns coach or gm). And then they gave him a new car.

ShoogarBear
04-05-2007, 11:54 PM
If Matt Bonner did that everyone would talk about how "down-to-earth" and "grounded" he was.