PDA

View Full Version : Woman's Home Destroyed After Bogus 'Help Yourself' Ad Posted on Craig's List

Mixability
04-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Woman's Home Destroyed After Bogus 'Help Yourself' Ad Posted on Craig's List
Last Update: Apr 6, 2007 10:58 AM

Posted By: Vickie Jean Summers

An ad placed on Craig's List is being blamed for the ransacking of a Tacoma woman's home.
Vandals ripped apart the house after an ad posted on the internet bulletin board invited people to take anything they wanted from inside.

Now police and the home's owner are trying to find out who posted the ad, and why.

"It hurts. I was attached to this home because it used to be my mom's," said Laurie Raye.

A phone caller alerted Raye to the destruction. She soon walked through her garbage strewn front yard to find her house dismantled.

From the light fixtures to the hot water heater, everything was gone, including the kitchen sink. Her neighbors later reported seeing strangers hauling stuff away from her home, seemingly looking for salvage material.

The ad was posted on Craig's List last weekend. An off-duty Tacoma police officer noticed the Craig's List ad last week, inviting people to enter the unlocked house and take whatever they wanted. Later, that same officer noticed the ad was flagged and canceled after a reported burglary at the house.

"We've had a lot of scams off of Craig's List. We've had prostitution things happen, rental scams, fraudulent activity. In this case, it appeared the items were going to be given away, but they were not," says Tacoma Police Investigator Gretchen Ellis.

Raye believes the unknown person who posted the ad carries a personal grudge against her, but that person also conned unsuspecting people into taking part.

When Raye contacted Craig's List she received an email back saying they can't release information about who posted the ad without a subpoena or search warrant.

Raye uses the house as a rental property and recently evicted the tenants. So far they have not been named suspects.

:dizzy crazy!

atxrocker
04-06-2007, 11:22 AM
those crazy vandals

Viva Las Espuelas
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
that is just priceless. i feel sorry for the lady, but that's pretty original

Deede4525
04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Craig's list needs to be forced to tell who posted that ad. How would you like to come home and find your home torn apart and all your stuff gone?

Old Craig needs a beatch slapping!

boutons_
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Over $10K, contact the FBI, this is obviously terrorism, and dubya's FBI don't need no stinking court-signed search warrants.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Raye uses the house as a rental property and recently evicted the tenants.
http://www.magicdragon.com/SherlockHolmes/SherlockSmall.gif

CharlieMac
04-07-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.magicdragon.com/SherlockHolmes/SherlockSmall.gif

I'm sorry sir, that would make too much sense.

cherylsteele
04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
From the light fixtures to the hot water heater, everything was gone, including the kitchen sink. Her neighbors later reported seeing strangers hauling stuff away from her home, seemingly looking for salvage material.

They stole a hot water heater and the kitchen sink??
Aren't those things kinda odd to hear about when a house gets ransacked?
I hear about jewelry, TV's, computers, cash, etc. but a water heater....a kitchen sink??

exstatic
04-07-2007, 11:49 AM
that is just priceless. i feel sorry for the lady, but that's pretty original
What's your address, again? You might not think it's fucking funny, then...

midgetonadonkey
04-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Why couldn't that have happened here in SA? I'd like some free shit.

Trainwreck2100
04-07-2007, 11:57 AM
They stole a hot water heater and the kitchen sink??
Aren't those things kinda odd to hear about when a house gets ransacked?
I hear about jewelry, TV's, computers, cash, etc. but a water heater....a kitchen sink??

The house was empty

What's your address, again? You might not think it's fucking funny, then...

If she was a bitch landlord, it would be funny.

exstatic
04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
TIf she was a bitch landlord, it would be funny.
Everyone thinks their landlord/landlady is a bitch/bastard, probably because they insist on things like rent and good behavior towards the neighbors. How dare they?
There are actually very few things that will allow a landlord to evict. None of them fall under the heading of "good tennant". This person was a puro asshole.

Trainwreck2100
04-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Everyone thinks their landlord/landlady is a bitch/bastard, probably because they insist on things like rent and good behavior towards the neighbors. How dare they?
There are actually very few things that will allow a landlord to evict. None of them fall under the heading of "good tennant". This person was a puro asshole.

I had a landlord that wouldn't take care of our rat problem, that she knew about before renting to us. I've seen landlords that lay newspaper instead of foam under carpet. I'm talking about people like that.

Leetonidas
04-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Am I the only guy wondering who the hell Craig is?

Trainwreck2100
04-07-2007, 12:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Newmark