PDA

View Full Version : Daily Dime :Spurs-Suns

lefty
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070406

How Spurs contain potent Suns

A few questions after the San Antonio Spurs defeated the Phoenix Suns 92-85 on Thursday in a likely preview of the Western Conference semifinals . . .

The Suns' lead has slipped to just two games on the Spurs in the standings, but it's effectively one game since the Spurs hold the tiebreaker by virtue of taking the season series, 2-1. What's the danger of Phoenix falling down to the No. 3 seed?

The possible issue to watch for is how this fall could psychologically affect this team. Their focus this season has been on trying to get home-court advantage for the entire playoffs. Now all of a sudden, you could see they might not get home court in the West finals, and not even the second round. And I think home-court will mean a lot more to Phoenix than it does San Antonio if and when the two teams meet.

Anything else worrisome for the Suns?

Depth. The Suns haven't played great down the stretch, and some of it has to do with fatigue. Every Phoenix starter played at least 34 minutes in this one. James Jones was totally taken out, and he's an important one-way player -- if he only takes three shots, he's not helping you. Kurt Thomas played only 14 minutes -- he has to be able to play more against Tim Duncan, because he has the physical and mental ability to defend Duncan.

How do the Spurs frustrate such an offensive juggernaut?

Because of how they play, they don't allow you to always expose their one-way players. If you're strong enough to impose your will, you put guys in position to succeed. Take Bruce Bowen. He took only four shots --- if you're the Suns, you've got to force him to take 10-12 shots. But Phoenix is not good enough defensively to do so. And that helps Bowen's confidence in putting all his energy in defending a guy like Steve Nash.

What's the key for San Antonio when they play an offensive powerhouse like the Suns?

They can take away 3-point shots from Suns. They Suns live on that 3-pointer, and you can take a way a lot of the effectiveness of their role players when you defend it well. The Suns made 2-of-11 3's in this loss.

The other thing the Spurs do well is having guys they can put on Nash. They have the discipline to keep their eyes on Nash's options when he makes his penetration -- they take away his angles on the interior and perimeter passing. When he threads the needle for what would be an assist against many other teams, ends up being a turnover against the Spurs.

You expect these two to meet in the conference semifinals?

Yes. And I expect the Spurs to struggle in the first round, which they seem to do every year that they win a championship. And they could struggle against whomever they face, whether it's the Lakers or the Nuggets. They could lose two games, but that just conditions them for the next rounds. Even last year they lost twice to the Kings. Either possible first-round team would be difficult for them.

The Spurs are a nightmare for the Suns. The Spurs are going to be able to slow the game down because of Duncan and Parker. Parker (season-high 35 points on Thursday) gets where he wants to go. And they're going to rebound the basketball with Duncan in there. Those two things can limit the effectiveness of what the Suns like to do.

Dictating tempo. We'll be hearing that a lot in the weeks ahead.

Let's go back to how the Lakers controlled tempo with Kwame Brown in last year's playoffs. I think it's safe to say San Antonio has the man for the job in Tim Duncan. And I think that will have a lot to do with the outcome.

Spurminator
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
This is a better thread to post in, so yes, I am posting this a second time.

Because it annoys me that much.

The Suns' lead has slipped to just two games on the Spurs in the standings, but it's effectively one game since the Spurs hold the tiebreaker by virtue of taking the season series, 2-1.

This is false. It is not "effectively a one game lead." If San Antonio wins one more and Phoenix loses one more, the Spurs will still be 1 game behind the Suns.

I've heard this in the past in instances where it makes sense. An example would be if the Suns had a 2-1 season series lead, you might say they "effectively have a three game lead on the Spurs." Because the Spurs would need to be one game ahead of them to get the 2 seed.

lefty
04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
:wtf

timvp
04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, this is a full two game lead by the Suns. I understand why some people think otherwise.

exstatic
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
This is a better thread to post in, so yes, I am posting this a second time.

Because it annoys me that much.

This is false. It is not "effectively a one game lead." If San Antonio wins one more and Phoenix loses one more, the Spurs will still be 1 game behind the Suns.

I've heard this in the past in instances where it makes sense. An example would be if the Suns had a 2-1 season series lead, you might say they "effectively have a three game lead on the Spurs." Because the Spurs would need to be one game ahead of them to get the 2 seed.
Actually, it's effectively like a 1.5 game lead. If we pick up only one game, then yes, they get HCA. If we pick up both games, we get it.

Holt's Cat
04-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Phewnix will be a good warmup for the Mawericks in the WCFs.

cheguevara
04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
If we pick up both games, we get it.

that to me is 2 game lead.

:lol stop confusing me.

Dave McNulla
04-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah, this is a full two game lead by the Suns. I understand why some people think otherwise.
i like to think of it as a 1.5 game lead.

if the spurs catch up one game or less, the suns have the advantage.

if the spurs catch up 2 games or more, they have the advantage.

exstatic
04-06-2007, 02:15 PM
i like to think of it as a 1.5 game lead.

if the spurs catch up one game or less, the suns have the advantage.

if the spurs catch up 2 games or more, they have the advantage.
Look up 3 posts. :clap

Rummpd
04-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Re: The Refs sucked, They were worse than Bavetta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Suns have been considered by many this big bad wolf, however, except for Amare who went off on a hurt Duncan in the playoffs on a scoring binge (but look at the overall stats and Duncan rebounded like a fiend), the Suns have never had the Spurs number.

Bowen is Marion's daddy, Nash who is truly great is played to a draw or better by Parker, and Duncan is just too darn big and strong. The Spurs going in either fast or slow can nail the Suns and it is pleasurable to watch that over-hyped coach sweat and moan and act like an idiot on the sidelines. His only talent is to have Steve Nash on his team. Every time Nash goes out, the Suns go on a losing streak. The Suns - the ultimate NBA over-hyped team = Kings of the 90s Lite!

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!!!!