PDA

View Full Version : Plus/Minus Game 8: Spurs 88, Sixers 80

FromWayDowntown
11-19-2004, 07:46 PM
It's a little late, but for those who are interested, here are the rather interesting plus/minus numbers from the Philly game:

+30 - Parker
+20 - Duncan
+15 - Bowen
+11 - Ginobili
+6 - Nesterovic
-1 - Brown
-2 - Horry
-8 - Rose
-9 - Barry
-22 - Udrih
DNP - Wilks
DNP - Massenburg

Through 8 games, the cumulative plus/minus numbers:

+101 - Duncan
+91 - Ginobili
+74 - Parker
+68 - Bowen
+64 - Nesterovic
+18 - Horry
+7 - Barry
+2 - Wilks
-7 - Rose
-7 - Udrih
-7 - Brown
-24 - Massenburg

Spurs' Cumulative Plus/Minus: +76

Walton Buys Off Me
11-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Through 8 games, the cumulative plus/minus numbers:

+101 - Duncan
+91 - Ginobili
+74 - Parker
+68 - Bowen
+64 - Nesterovic
+18 - Horry
+7 - Barry
+2 - Wilks
-7 - Rose
-7 - Udrih
-7 - Brown
-24 - Massenburg

Spurs' Cumulative Plus/Minus: +76

Rose............U-S-E-L-E-S-S

deepsouth
11-19-2004, 08:39 PM
FWD. Even late, as you say , your statistics are extremely interesting.
Please keep them coming.

(The late part is a joke. ;))

ShoogarBear
11-19-2004, 08:55 PM
If Rose is useless, what does that make Beno?

What somebody (not FWD) really needs to do is calculate a "corrected plus/minus", similiar to a linear regression, where you correct for an interactions between players. In other words, a plyer who spends 90% of his on-court time with Tim Duncan is going to have a distinct "raw +/-" advantage over a player who spends 90% of his time with Tony Massenburg. There are statistical ways to try to correct for that, but you'd have to have the raw data for the combinations on the floor to do it.

The cool thing about that is that not only would you have a measure of each players worth, you'd also have measures for which pair or triplet or any other combination of players was your best.

There is a guy who does this and sells his numbers for a pretty pennies to guys like Mark Cuban. Last year somebody posted the five-man-combo numbers for the Spurs in the playoffs, but I don't remember who or where he got them from.

xcoriate
11-19-2004, 10:15 PM
I was very interested to see these in wake of Parkers performance, good to see the results were good. I thought he played pretty good d on AI and he distributed well.

ducks
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
man plus 30 when parker was in but some think he sucked last night against siixers