PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies in state of flux

DNS Error
04-06-2007, 03:12 PM
From SI.com

MEMPHIS -- The Memphis Grizzlies are considering Florida's Billy Donovan in their search for a new head coach, according to a league source.

Here's my understanding of what's happened. The Grizzlies and Donovan's representative had discussions about Memphis' coaching job this week after Florida defended its NCAA title Monday. Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley is said to be intrigued by the buzz that Donovan would create with the disgruntled fans in Memphis.

But it's unlikely that Donovan will be coaching the Grizzlies next season, in no small part because they won't want to pay the necessary $5 million or more in starting salary that he would require over a long-term contract. I'm also told, however, that the possibility is not yet dead.

It's a funny thing about the NBA that the worst teams generate the most interesting gossip. No franchise is more intriguing or harder to forecast than the last-place Grizzlies, who will enter the draft lottery next month with the most Ping-Pong balls in their pursuit for a talent to pair with Pau Gasol (or the star for whom Gasol is traded this summer).

No one has told me this, but it stands to reason that one of the hinges is whether the Grizzlies become the fourth team in 18 years to turn the worst record into the No. 1 pick. If they land Greg Oden, won't team president Jerry West have more incentive to maintain leadership after his contract expires June 30? Likewise, won't Heisley have a better chance of selling the franchise, much as the Cleveland Cavaliers' purchase price shot up after winning the rights to LeBron James?

The Grizzlies' future is not nearly as hopeless as their 19-57 record indicates. Quite the opposite. Add Oden or Kevin Durant and a starting point guard to Gasol, Mike Miller, Hakim Warrick and Kyle Lowry, and -- provided they hire an experienced coach ready to win at the NBA level -- the Grizzlies could be back challenging for the playoffs next season with their new up-tempo style.

Gasol, however, remains skeptical. "It's not only getting a top draft pick for this franchise to be in the right direction,'' he said. "Obviously that would help, but there are a lot of other things that need to be covered.''

When the season ends in two weeks, Gasol plans to talk with Heisley and West about whether the team will be sold, who will be running it and will the Grizzlies be seeking to contend for a championship?

Heisley obviously wants to unload the team, but a sale isn't imminent. Former Duke player Brian Davis is still trying to pull together the resources but should be considered a longshot because in a small market like this, the NBA is going to want solid, reliable ownership.

Heisley told me earlier this season -- and several league sources say the same thing -- that West will probably remain in a consultant role, which means that the Grizzlies will be seeking to win. Interim coach Tony Barone is expected to move up to the front office next season. "That's what they're telling me,'' Barone said. "I want to do what's best for the franchise.''

The word around the league earlier this season was that Barone would become the GM next year while continuing to work under president-emeritus West.

"I would love to do that,'' said Barone, who in midseason converted the Grizzlies from the controlled tempo pace of predecessor Mike Fratello to a run-and-gun team averaging 101.2 points this year (sixth highest in the league). "That would be an unbelievable dream come true for me.''

But lately I've been hearing that other options are being considered, which is no reflection of the esteem held for Barone. Not unlike the possibility of hiring Donovan -- longshot that it is -- it's another sign of the Grizzlies' state of flux.

"I'm going to talk to the organization about whatever they have in mind,'' Gasol said. "I would like to see a commitment to winning and to work for something and to have a purpose in this league. Otherwise it's really easy to sink in and lose a lot of games and have a bad year like we just had. I just want to have a feeling that my team and my franchise are fully committed to win and are going to invest for that to happen.''

It went unnoticed as the Grizzlies went south, but Gasol recovered from his preseason foot injury to have a terrific year. He's averaging career highs of 20.9 points, 9.7 rebounds and 53.6 percent shooting from the floor.

"I can contribute in many different ways when my team is ready to play and ready to win every night,'' Gasol said. "I become a much more aggressive player and much more motivated because I'm on a mission. That's the way I feel, and that's why for great players their game goes up and improves on a better team. I do see myself having an important role on a contender-caliber team.''

"That whole issue of insecurity in Pau's mind shouldn't be as much of an issue as he makes it out to be,'' answered Barone. "He's here, he's being very well-compensated [with $63 million coming his way over the next four years] and he's a professional. What is he concerned about? Who is going to be the coach, and who is going to run the franchise? Those are legitimate concerns.

"But the next step is the draft, and I think all of that's going to be cleared up shortly,'' said Barone, referring to the outcome of the May 22 lottery. "Who is the coach going to be? I don't know about that, and I can't tell you when that's going to happen.''

Could that be because the Grizzlies can't make an offer to Phoenix assistant Marc Iavaroni until the Suns' playoff run ends? Just asking.

I wish Memphis fans were more like you Spurs fans.... :depressed

Pugglekicker_21
04-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey man, just imagine a Oden number 50 jersey....

or a durant 35..