PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Barry's return imminent but team doesn't want to rush Horry back

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040607.04D.BKNspurs.notebook.3e50e37.html

Spurs notebook: Barry's return imminent but team doesn't want to rush Horry back

Web Posted: 04/06/2007 01:09 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Brent Barry missed his second consecutive game Thursday, but his back has improved, leaving the Spurs optimistic he might be able to return within the next couple of games.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the team's medical staff was able to get Barry's back to loosen up or "release" Thursday.

"Now they have to work on strength," Popovich said. "They said that will take another game or two."

Barry's back spasmed after he twisted it during Sunday's loss in Indiana.

Robert Horry also did not play Thursday, missing his fifth game because of an abdominal contusion. While Horry has resumed working out, the Spurs don't see any need to rush him back and risk having him aggravate the injury before the playoffs.

"It's lingered longer than he thought," Popovich said. "He (played) two on two and felt pretty good, but when he started stretching it didn't feel very good."

International coalition: The Spurs once again will be heavily represented at the NBA's Basketball Without Borders camps this summer.

Matt Bonner and assistant coach Don Newman are scheduled to help conduct the camp in Sao Paulo, Brazil. :clap Newman also is scheduled to go to Paris with Tony Parker.

Bruce Bowen and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford are expected to attend the South Africa camp.

The camps bring together NBA players and the best teen-age players from each continent for a week of basketball instruction and life-skills classes.

Chief rival: Despite losing to the Spurs in five games in the 2005 Western Conference Finals, the Suns now regard the Dallas Mavericks as their No. 1 Western Conference rival, according to coach Mike D'Antoni.

The reason: Steve Nash's antipathy toward a franchise that deemed him too injury-prone to make a maximum value player in the summer of his free agency.

"Steve has that little thing with Dallas," D'Antoni said Thursday morning when asked who the Suns consider their chief rival.

D'Antoni joked that he if he wanted to build up some anger toward the Spurs, he would focus on the fact he was cut by then-Spurs coach Doug Moe after playing only two games for the team in the 1976-77 season.

"I'm not ticked off because the Spurs cut me 20 or 30 years ago," D'Antoni said. "I don't hold that against them, though maybe I will bring that out.

"Doug Moe didn't know what he was doing. Everybody makes bad decisions. Actually, it turned out to be the best thing he could have done for me."

D'Antoni hung on for a while in the NBA after being cut by the Spurs, but ultimately ended up having a successful career as a player and coach in the Italian pro league. His coaching success in Italy ultimately led to his being hired by the Denver Nuggets and then the Suns.

On your mark: Any time Spurs point guard Tony Parker and Suns guard Leandro Barbosa are on the court together, the debate ensues — "Who is the fastest guard in the NBA?"

"Put Leandro and Tony and Devin Harris in a race, and let's find out," D'Antoni said. "I'm sure there are certain moves Tony is faster on. But they're all so fast it's ridiculous. But 'L.B.' is pretty fast."

Nash would not venture a definitive opinion, saying it is mostly in the eye of the beholder.

"It's hard to tell," Nash said. "It's subjective, but when you see (Barbosa) really turn on the jets, it's fun to watch."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

mardigan
04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I still think in a 100 yard dash, Tony would beat Leo and Harris

ducks
04-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Matt Bonner and assistant coach Don Newman are scheduled to help conduct the camp in Sao Paulo, Brazil

spurs have resigned him?

exstatic
04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Bruce Bowen and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford are expected to attend the South Africa camp.
I wonder if RC adopts another kid now that 'Lex is gone?

Kori Ellis
04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I wonder if RC adopts another kid now that 'Lex is gone?

I think he already did. We heard a while back that he has one teenager from the Dominican Republic and one from somewhere else.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I think he already did. We heard a while back that he has one teenager from the Dominican Republic and one from somewhere else.Hopefully from a less egotistical country.

Phenomanul
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Hopefully from a less egotistical country.
:corn:

:stirpot:

nkdlunch
04-06-2007, 04:49 PM
If Suns need a reason to hate us, how about the fact that we ALWAYS kick their ass? :lol

T Park
04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Or the fact that the Spurs have Owned the Suns in every important game worth a crap for the past decade.