CubanMustGo
04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
to know more about you guys i want you to answer three questions

1 when did you start to root for SA
2 why did you choose to root for them
3 what part of Dallas do you live in

i live in Duncanville btw, in case any of you know where that is

1. See .sig
2. A class franchise with a class owner (hint, hint)
3. McKinney

bigfan
04-07-2007, 03:29 PM
My Dad was Air Force so we lived everywhere but I consider SA my hometown even though I havent lived there in a long time. Graduated from Holmes (74) and UTSA (86). Ive been a Spurs fan since the early 80's and watch them whenever I can up here on TNT/ESPN. I live in Rowlett.

50 cent
04-07-2007, 03:50 PM

I grew up in Kerrville and have followed the Spurs sine about 1986.

I loved David Robinson and naturally became a fan.

Uptown Dallas.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2007, 03:56 PM
It's a trap! Don't answer the third question!

u2sarajevo
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Duncanville!!!

Class of 88. (can't believe that was almost 20 years ago)

Sorry for the thread hijack, but you don't hear about Drunkinhell very often on Spurstalk.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-07-2007, 04:23 PM

i live in Duncanville btw, in case any of you know where that is1. ever since i was born. i'm from there
2. i'm from there
3. north dallas area

mabber
04-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Off topic slightly...but I doubt there are many Mav fans in San Antonio area.

There are fans of teams in all sports from all over the USA in Dallas just because it's a big city/metroplex (a lot of big corporations have their headquarters/branches in the area).

Controlled_Chaos
04-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Yep, I'm from LA and a Spurs fan. I started cheering for them during the 2003 season when they were playing the Lakers on the 2nd round of the playoffs. Actually, it was more of me cheering against the Lakers back then. I was so excited when they beat the Lakers that I started cheering for them from then on.

Yep, my heart was broken the following year with the ".04" and was super hyper when Horry shot the "dagger" in game 5 of the Finals the year after.

mookie2001
04-07-2007, 05:42 PM
There are fans of teams in all sports from all over the USA in Dallas just because it's a big city/metroplex (a lot of big corporations have their headquarters/branches in the area).

:elephant

BUMP
04-07-2007, 06:26 PM
1. See .sig

well in 74 there was only one team in Texas. they actually started in Dallas but were moved due to serious lack of fan support. :rolleyes

BUMP
04-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Duncanville!!!

Class of 88. (can't believe that was almost 20 years ago)

did you graduate with Ostertag?

speaking of basketball they won the 5A state title this year :clap

SenorSpur
04-07-2007, 06:35 PM

1. Since I grew up in S.A., I was there when the team hit town in 1973. The love affair began that very year and has continued on ever since.

2. It was the first and only professional game in town....still is. The team helped change the perception about S.A. around the country. Many around the country thought people in S.A. actually rode horses around town.

3. Frisco..

mabber
04-07-2007, 06:39 PM
1. Since I grew up in S.A., I was there when the team hit town in 1973. The love affair began that very year and has continued on ever since.

2. It was the first and only professional game in town....still is. The team helped change the perception about S.A. around the country. Many around the country thought people in S.A. actually rode horses around town.

3. Frisco..

I live in Frisco as well. How long have you lived there? I moved there in December of '94 when there was only about 10k people there (almost 100k now).

dg7md
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM

I started rooting for SA because my dad is from San Antonio and raised me to be a fan, we bond through Spurs games and I became a big fan after the 01-02 season. I live in Mesquite.

greywheel
04-07-2007, 07:36 PM
1. 1988
2. I lived in SA, my best friend had season tickets and took me to Spurs games quite often.
3. I live in Bedford and work in Dallas.

kskonn
04-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Off topic slightly...but I doubt there are many Mav fans in San Antonio area.

In my opinion there are a lot of Maverick fans in San Antonio. Also a lot of laker fans. Due to the influx of corporations, people moving from California and of course the massive amounts of military there is quite a condundrum of fans. I travel to Dallas a lot and I would say the biggest Difference is that San Antonio only has one sports team, where Dallas obviously has 3. The cowboys have been succesfull for so long and have a very loyal fan base, Imagine how even more cowboy crazy was the only team in Dallas. That is what we have in San Antonio.

Spurminator
04-07-2007, 08:19 PM
1. 1991

2. Because my grandparents were Spurs fans, and I didn't follow basketball until I went to a Spurs game with my GP's.

3. On the border of Garland and Richardson

SenorSpur
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I live in Frisco as well. How long have you lived there? I moved there in December of '94 when there was only about 10k people there (almost 100k now).

Nice to know that my friend. I've been there about 2 years. Before that, Plano. Hell, I didn't know there was anything in Frisco in '94. Yes, Frisco has definitely boomed.

SpursDynasty
04-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Texas has a Duncanville and a Kerrville, towns named after great players who helped the Spurs win a championship or two. There's Johnson City, TX named in honor of Mavs coach and former Spurs player who sank the winning shot for the first Spurs championship in 1999.

CubanMustGo
04-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Don't forget Robinson, TX.

SenorSpur
04-07-2007, 10:12 PM
There is also a Parker, Texas

SpursDynasty
04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
So with Duncanville, Kerrville, Johnson City, Robinson, and Parker all being Texas cities, the true Texas professional sports team is the Spurs.

SPURS = Best pro sports team in Texas anyway.

dav4463
04-08-2007, 12:29 AM
1. Listened to WOAI as a child.
2. I lived in West Texas at the time. (still Spurs country)....drove to San Antonio for a lot of games.
3. Live in Denton now.(still drive to San Antonio for games and never set foot in the AA Center unless the Spurs are in town....or The Who!)

I absolutely, positively, HATE Maverick fans in this area! They are so pompous, so arrogant, so loud (like their owner), so bandwagon.......they don't even know the NBA existed before the Mavericks. They act like THEY are the team with championship history (and they've never won even one). They act like they are ENTITLED to win the championship. They show no respect for the NBA (like that stupid-ass song "mama don't let your babies grow up to be Spurs fans." played on the jumbo-tron...that is so classless....so bush-league...this is the NBA, not the developmental league),no respect for other teams, or other fans. (at least 90% of them anyway). George Gervin, Larry Kenon, James Silas and crew were throwing in 119 points per night before the Mavs even existed.

Horry For 3!
04-08-2007, 01:23 AM
did you graduate with Ostertag?

speaking of basketball they won the 5A state title this year :clap
Yup, undefeated, 39-0. I was sitting in row 5 at the tourney the whole week. They pretty much dominated Kingwood.

pking
04-08-2007, 01:57 AM
1. Listened to WOAI as a child.
2. I lived in West Texas at the time. (still Spurs country)....drove to San Antonio for a lot of games.
3. Live in Denton now.(still drive to San Antonio for games and never set foot in the AA Center unless the Spurs are in town....or The Who!)

I absolutely, positively, HATE Maverick fans in this area! They are so pompous, so arrogant, so loud (like their owner), so bandwagon.......they don't even know the NBA existed before the Mavericks. They act like THEY are the team with championship history (and they've never won even one). They act like they are ENTITLED to win the championship. They show no respect for the NBA (like that stupid-ass song "mama don't let your babies grow up to be Spurs fans." played on the jumbo-tron...that is so classless....so bush-league...this is the NBA, not the developmental league),no respect for other teams, or other fans. (at least 90% of them anyway). George Gervin, Larry Kenon, James Silas and crew were throwing in 119 points per night before the Mavs even existed.
Love how you made this into a negative thing.

G-Nob
04-08-2007, 02:14 AM
1. SFFL
2. My dad was GM of Hemisfair Arena in the late 70's
3. Currently live in White Rock area

Obstructed_View
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
1. I moved to San Antonio in 1990 and became a Spurs fan almost immediately.

2. I didn't have a favorite basketball team, and I love SA.

3. Lewisville

SpursFanFirst
04-08-2007, 10:20 AM
So with Duncanville, Kerrville, Johnson City, Robinson, and Parker all being Texas cities, the true Texas professional sports team is the Spurs.

SPURS = Best pro sports team in Texas anyway.

All we need now is a "Ginobili, TX." :downspin:

Ozzman
04-08-2007, 10:50 AM

1. 1998
2. Tim Duncan
3. Mesquite.

shelshor
04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
There is also an Alvin (Robertson), TX
And a (Mike) Mitchell County

StylisticS
04-08-2007, 01:04 PM
plus san antonio is bigger than dallas technically

yeah, true. but noone cares about city limits. It's the metros that count.

ShoogarBear
04-08-2007, 01:13 PM
yeah, true. but noone cares about city limits. It's the metros that count.ahahahahaha . . . here we gooooo.

ShoogarBear
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
So with Duncanville, Kerrville, Johnson City, Robinson, and Parker all being Texas cities, the true Texas professional sports team is the Spurs.Not to mention, Spur, TX.

StylisticS
04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
ahahahahaha . . . here we gooooo.
lol. That's no hate to San Antonio. I love the city. But non-Texans would laugh at the notion that San Antonio is bigger than Dallas because of some arbitrary imaginative city limits. Hell this means Dallas is bigger than Boston and nobody actually believes that. :lol

samikeyp
04-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Actually they both sit at about 1.2 million. If you include the entire metroplex however, that is about 6 million. Area wise, SA is slightly bigger 412 sq. miles to Dallas' 385

J.T.
04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
like that stupid-ass song "mama don't let your babies grow up to be Spurs fans." played on the jumbo-tron...

I lawled at the first game this year when they tried to play that song and played the one they recycled for the Suns instead and promptly cut it off about 5 seconds into it. Hilarious.

j-6
04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
1. grew up in SA, so I'd say mid-eighties

2. Longhorns and Spurs were the two religions in my house growing up

3. live in Fort Worth, work in Addison.

50 cent
04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
3. live in Fort Worth, work in Addison.
That's a hell of a commute! :madrun

j-6
04-08-2007, 04:48 PM
That's a hell of a commute! :madrun

48 miles each way, 'bout an hour of drive time per. It was a lot worse before the Bush Turnpike finally connected by the airport.

ShoogarBear
04-08-2007, 05:11 PM
lol. That's no hate to San Antonio. I love the city. But non-Texans would laugh at the notion that San Antonio is bigger than Dallas because of some arbitrary imaginative city limits. Hell this means Dallas is bigger than Boston and nobody actually believes that. :lolIt's just that the "metropolitan area" argument is one of the Old Faithfuls arund here. It pushes a button in certain posters.

StylisticS
04-08-2007, 05:38 PM
It's just that the "metropolitan area" argument is one of the Old Faithfuls arund here. It pushes a button in certain posters.

Ahhhh I see I see.

Dirk Nowitzki
04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Denton, Weatherford, Sherman, etc etc BABY!! I am all over the motherfucking place... :)

cherylsteele
04-08-2007, 05:50 PM
1) I moved to San Antonio in 1980.....I was a fan the minute My dad said we were moving here. Came from a town (Lynchburg, Va.) that had no pro teams to speak of except a minor league baseball team.

2) I became a fan for the fact that everywhere else I have lived pro Sports teams were a ways away. I became more of a fan is I read about the history. My Friends in Lynchburg were Bullet fans (the closest NBA team) were always ragging on that little team from Texas the time the spurs met the Bullets in the ECF.

3) I don't live near Dallas I live in San Antonio (NW side)

BeerIsGood!
04-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Grew up in south Texas and my dad would take us (my brother and myself) to Spurs games. He even laminated the SA Light Newspaper's full size poster of DRob's "Rookie of the Year" accomplishment, and that was on the wall in my room until my parents moved in 2005.

Near the border of Garland and Richardson north of the LBJ.

makedamnsure
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Born in San Antonio and lived there till 2002

because I was born into the team. I had a spurs cheerleader outfit when I was a year old

Rockwall baby!

BUMP
04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Yup, undefeated, 39-0. I was sitting in row 5 at the tourney the whole week. They pretty much dominated Kingwood.

i was on the JV.

only close games were two against SOC (won 4A state titles THREE years in a row) and against Plano (last year's 5A champion with 06-07 Mr. Basketball as their point guard).

makedamnsure
04-08-2007, 11:48 PM
SOC = beasts

rockwall girls went 40-0 :]

Jdspur20
04-09-2007, 12:00 AM

in 1989, when i still lived in SA at the time.
because i grew up rooting for them
more towards the fort worth area

50 cent
04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
48 miles each way, 'bout an hour of drive time per. It was a lot worse before the Bush Turnpike finally connected by the airport.
Only an hour? I thought it would be more than that even with the GBTP opened up. Are you driving during rush hour?

It takes me almost an hour on a lot of days to commute from my girlfriend's house in Allen to Addison.

j-6
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh no, I learned my lesson regarding traffic here. I leave my house at 9AM and leave work around 630 - 7.

mabber
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Only an hour? I thought it would be more than that even with the GBTP opened up. Are you driving during rush hour?

It takes me almost an hour on a lot of days to commute from my girlfriend's house in Allen to Addison.

I was thinking the same thing. It takes me 45 minutes to drive from Frisco to Addison area during rush hour and that's only about 15 miles.

dav4463
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Love how you made this into a negative thing.

Sorry, i was over at one of my maverick fan friend's house and we had been trash-talking all day! we even trash-talk when we play ping pong, tennis, or even miniature golf.....don't take it wrong, it's all good-natured fun for me.

pking
04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry, i was over at one of my maverick fan friend's house and we had been trash-talking all day! we even trash-talk when we play ping pong, tennis, or even miniature golf.....don't take it wrong, it's all good-natured fun for me.
:lol No big deal. I just thought it was funny -- a pretty calm post with Mavs and Spurs fans being civil and you just bust out with your hatred for us...lol Ohh well. Do your thing!

BUMP
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
SOC = beasts

they have a monstrous center. i wouldnt say they are still beasts though. they used to be.

SAtoDallas
04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
1. When my dad took me to games @ Hemisphere Arena
2. George Gervin
3. East near White Rock Lake

DFW Spurs
04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
1 when did you start to root for SA - During the Robinson era

2. why did you choose to root for them - David Robinson kicked ass

3. what part of Dallas do you live in - Alvarado just south of everything, LOL...

smrattler
04-13-2007, 12:21 AM

1. When I was born pretty much. Born and raised through college in SA.
2. Love at first sight? Even though we suuuuucked when I first started watching basketball as a kid (Brickowski, Dawkins, ARob... you know the days)
3. Plano :toast