PDA

View Full Version : The best MMA match ever?

djohn14
04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
In my openion it was Forrest Griffin versus Stephen Bonner. Not Matt's brother. That was a great stand up, no BS match I've seen. Also did anyone see that slam Rampage did in Pride? It was just like a powerbomb. He had been on his opponent for about 3 minutes, and all of a sudden he showed strength like the Incredible Hulk. Booooooom!!! He slammed him and knocked the dude out. I also loved looking at Franklin's nose after anderson opened a can on him. Whats your favorite moments?

cornbread
04-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Good question. There's so many.

I could watch any of these over and over again:

Hughes vs. Trigg II - incredible comeback, amazing slam, irony of the rear chokes
Kerr vs. Igor I -Igor's overhand right in that match has got to be one of the hardest punches I've ever seen
Randy vs. Sylvia -never cheered for a 5 round decision as much as this one
Tito vs. Ken I -pretty fucking awesome battle
Crocop vs. Fedor -no explanation needed

mardigan
04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Me vs Cornbread, EPIC

cornbread
04-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Me vs Cornbread, EPIC

Cornbread vs. Mardigan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho94KPIi3aY)
Who could forget it?

Rip-Hamilton32
04-07-2007, 06:21 PM
chuck vs rampage 2 lol, rampage is gonna get beat down

mardigan
04-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Cornbread vs. Mardigan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho94KPIi3aY)
Who could forget it?
Damn I whooped your ass, your lucky my mom showed up :lol

Rip-Hamilton32
04-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Damn I whooped your ass, your lucky my mom showed up :lol

:lol

djohn14
04-07-2007, 07:41 PM

I'm pulling for Rampage.

LEONARD
04-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Bonnar vs Griffin?? While it did a lot for the UFC, it was an incredibly sloppy brawl that lacked groundwork. Unfortunately, that's what a lot of the UFC fans want to see...

There are too many to name...I don't really have a favorite I guess.

Fedor vs Crocop
Edgar vs Tyson Griffin
Melendez vs Kawajiri
Diaz vs Gomi
Barnett vs Big Nog (1st fight in 2006 in the OWGP)
Silva vs Rampage (either one)
Shogun vs Rampage
Rampage vs Arona (slam)
Fedor vs Randleman
Grove vs Herman

dbreiden83080
04-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Rampage whipped Chuck bad the first time they fought. Chuck is a better fighter now but it is a dangerous fight for him because Rampage is one of the very few 205 pd guys that can strike with him.

IX_Equilibrium
04-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Bonnar vs Griffin?? While it did a lot for the UFC, it was an incredibly sloppy brawl that lacked groundwork.

It was one of my favorite fights.

The fight was appreciated because of the amount of heart and determination that two newcomers to the UFC were showing. Also impressive was the fact that both fighters showed a tremendous amount of respect and class towards each other. Sure it lacked technique, but that doesn't discount it from being an incredibly exciting and memorable fight.

desflood
04-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm going to have to put Saturday's Huerta/Garcia somewhere up in my top 15 or so. What a great fight.

IX_Equilibrium
04-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, that's what a lot of the UFC fans want to see...

UFC fans want to see this?

You care to explain Frye vs. Thompson, Frye vs. Takayama, and Butterbean vs. anyone??

LEONARD
04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
UFC fans want to see this?

You care to explain Frye vs. Thompson, Frye vs. Takayama, and Butterbean vs. anyone??

I should've been more specific. The "typical" UFC fat at the live events wants to see a slugfest and will boo if a fight stays on the ground too long, even if there is quality groundwork being shown...

and the "typical" Pride fan at a live event likes the occasional slugfest (or even "freak fight") but understands and enjoys a chess match on the ground...

I should add that UFC fans at the events seem to be getting a little better IMO.

IX_Equilibrium
04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
I should've been more specific. The "typical" UFC fat at the live events wants to see a slugfest and will boo if a fight stays on the ground too long, even if there is quality groundwork being shown...

and the "typical" Pride fan at a live event likes the occasional slugfest (or even "freak fight") but understands and enjoys a chess match on the ground...

I should add that UFC fans at the events seem to be getting a little better IMO.

I think you are characterizing the UFC fan of 5 years ago. From crowd reactions, fans in the stands seem to know when a triangle, armbar, kimura, or RNC is being set up, and I hear cheering rather than booing.

The booing comes into play when there is a lay and pray fighter that doesn't try to better his position to try and finish the fight.

LEONARD
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
They do react to submission attempts, but have little patience if it takes some time to set up the attempt...

Like I said, they're getting better... ;)