View Full Version : Spurs' Ginobili says he'll remain in reserve role

TMTTRIO
04-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Spurs' Ginobili says he'll remain in reserve role
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...i.3c33c6c.html
Web Posted: 04/08/2007 12:25 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

With a victory over the Golden State Warriors behind him, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili was telling a locker-room interrogator why, with only six regular-season games remaining, he has given up on the notion of returning to the starting lineup before the playoffs begin.
Just then, assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo approached with his young son, Casey, perched on his shoulder, ready to give Ginobili a high five.

"I wish the coaches would not sit me so much," Ginobili said, aiming a menacing sneer in Carlesimo's direction before breaking into a wide smile and reaching a hand out in Casey's direction.

"But seriously," Ginobili said when his young visitor had departed, "now, at this point in the season, I think we're going to stay like this the rest of the way."

Ginobili on Saturday had another energizing performance off the bench in what could turn into a late drive to win the NBA's Sixth Man Award. He scored 25 points and had seven rebounds, seven assists and two steals in the Spurs' 112-99 victory.

After making only 4 of 24 3-point shots in the previous five games, he made 3 of 7 from long range against the Warriors.

"He competed really well and as the game went on he got better and better," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He was moving the ball, making shots, rebounding the basketball and playing real aggressively. He did a fine job."

Ginobili was encouraged by the improvement in his shooting stroke, especially from long range.

"I'm not making as many shots as two weeks ago," Ginobili said, "but I'm not worried. During an 82-game season you're going to have ups and downs. As long as it comes back for the playoffs, I'll be fine."

What Ginobili liked most about Saturday's victory was the sustained intensity the Spurs showed after Thursday's big victory over the Phoenix Suns. He has lamented the team's occasional loss of focus, especially in games at the AT&T Center that have followed big victories.

"We played a great game two days ago, great intensity and great awareness," Ginobili said. "I knew it was not going to be that easy to maintain it. But I think that overall it was not that bad. We had a couple letdowns, but we did pretty good."

Ginobili's ability to bring energy off the bench helps. He has come off the bench in 35 games after starting 39. If he continues in a reserve role the rest of the season, he will be eligible for the Sixth Man Award, as the league requires more nonstarts than starts

Unfortunately the way he's been playing lately I doubt he gets the 6MOY award. Even Charles Barkley said he won't get it. All I care about is him showing up for the playoffs.

gospursgooo
04-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Who cares about the Sixth Man Award? Go Ginobiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...!

jaespur21
04-08-2007, 03:35 AM
well barkley said it was becuz he was too good something like bcuz gino was really a starter.....But IMO they should give it to Gino for that reason bcuz in this day and age a player would Whine, Gripe, Complain and or ask to be traded for not starting when he should yadayadayada

1Parker1
04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Barkley made a good point as to why others may not vote for Manu as a 6th man (even though I think he deserves it as well).

He said that Ginobili is really a starter...he's much better than the guy starting in front of him like Finley/Barry, etc. But in the case of Leandro Barbosa...he really is the 6th man on the Suns. He's clearly not better than the guy playing in front of him, Steve Nash, etc.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Barbosa is the 6th Man of the Year, Manu doesn't deserve and the award goes more appropriately with Barbosa.

Tippecanoe
04-08-2007, 09:45 AM
no one likes david lee?

exstatic
04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
They won't vote for him because he's a Spur. Considering the winning tradition of this franchise, we do pretty poorly in the popularity contests, especially those voted by the media. From the beginning of the Duncan era to today, the Spurs are 556-226 for a .711 winning percentage, best in the 4 major US pro sports. In that time, as far as individual awards, we have 2 MVP awards (DuncanX2), 1 ROY (Duncan), and one COY. Manu wouldnt get it if he had come off the bench for all 82 games and averaged 20 points.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
They won't vote for him because he's a Spur. Considering the winning tradition of this franchise, we do pretty poorly in the popularity contests, especially those voted by the media. From the beginning of the Duncan era to today, the Spurs are 556-226 for a .711 winning percentage, best in the 4 major US pro sports. In that time, as far as individual awards, we have 2 MVP awards (DuncanX2), 1 ROY (Duncan), and one COY.Definitely had quite a few DPOY candidates in that time...well, only 3 anyway :depressed

exstatic
04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
no one likes david lee?
Players on very bad teams tend to suffer when it comes to the individual awards.

exstatic
04-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Definitely had quite a few DPOY candidates in that time...well, only 3 anyway :depressed
Yeah, Bowen could have won it at least twice, but he isn't well liked around the league. Unfortunately, neither is Manu.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
How about David Robinson and Tim Duncan?

exstatic
04-08-2007, 10:13 AM
How about David Robinson and Tim Duncan?
Sometime after Jordan retired, they stopped considering MVPs for other awards. :depressed Duncan and DRob could have each been DPOY. I think they hurt each other's chances by playing together, though.

Sam
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
no one likes david lee?
I love David Lee but he's not getting much love from too many people.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
David Lee had a great season, averaged 10 points and 8 boards, but has been hurt for a bit now at the end of the year.

He'd be a candidate in my book, but he unfortunately plays for the New York Knickerbockers.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I love David Lee but he's not getting much love from too many people.

Most writers I talked to have been considering Barbosa and Lee as the main candidates pretty much all year.

I've said it ten times here, but no one really thinks of Manu as a reserve, so I don't think he jumps to many people's mind when voting. If you ask most people who watch basketball, "Quick - who are the starting guards for the Spurs?" They'll most likely say Parker and Ginobili.

Anyway, I think Barbosa will win.

aaronstampler
04-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Let LB win, keep Manu off anyone's radar.

Seriously, I don't think Manu should win the award, on principle. If you're a team's second best player and one of the top 20 in the league, you shouldn't be a 6th man to begin with.

SuperManu!!!
04-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Barbosa is the 6th man of phoenix, manu is a starter who have to start from the bench because spur's bench sucked

rocyaice
04-08-2007, 03:11 PM
He's clearly not better than the guy playing in front of him, Steve Nash, etc.

Barbosa plays alongside Nash until they sit Nash. By no means would I consider him Nash's back up. He's a two guard in a point guards body.

beirmeistr
04-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Let LB win, keep Manu off anyone's radar.

Seriously, I don't think Manu should win the award, on principle. If you're a team's second best player and one of the top 20 in the league, you shouldn't be a 6th man to begin with.
Well said.

samikeyp
04-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey...whatever it takes to win. Props to Manu for being a pro about it. Some other players in the league may not be so professional about a move to the bench, even if it meant more team success.

beirmeistr
04-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Ginobili does not want the sixth man award. He feels that he is a starter who is making a sacrifice for the good of the team.